View Full Version : NHC Rantic shirts to be sponsored by Tennent's

03-02-2010, 12:24 PM
From this summer the Ugly Sisters will have a 3 year sponsorship with Tennants who are still considering whether to continue their existing deal with the SFA. Why are the Ugly Sisters treated as Siamese twins when it comes to sponsorship? It's been llike that since CR Smith started the ball rolling quite a few years back. How might it affect Tennants lager sales? Probably not at all, but imagine if every non Old Firm supporter stopped drinking the stuff. :greengrin

Moody Mulder
03-02-2010, 12:28 PM
whoever sponsors the ugly sisters sees not a penny of my money being spent on their products

Green Man
03-02-2010, 12:30 PM
If Tennents sponsored one, then the fans of the other wouldn't buy it. I won't be participating in a boycott - but you wouldn't catch me opening an account with Ukio Bankas :greengrin

03-02-2010, 12:32 PM
From this summer the Ugly Sisters will have a 3 year sponsorship with Tennants who are still considering whether to continue their existing deal with the SFA. Why are the Ugly Sisters treated as Siamese twins when it comes to sponsorship? It's been llike that since CR Smith started the ball rolling quite a few years back. How might it affect Tennants lager sales? Probably not at all, but imagine if every non Old Firm supporter stopped drinking the stuff. :greengrin

I believe it is to stop significant numbers of customers boycotting their rivals sponsors.

Still I love the message. We're professional athletes - drink beer.

03-02-2010, 12:36 PM
I wouldn't drink Tennents even if they sponsored Hibs!

TheEastTerrace
03-02-2010, 12:38 PM

Because the divide is so strong, it is to reduce the threat of one side boycotting that sponsor's products or services. I'm sure McEwen's Lager suffered as a result of only backing the Huns in the 80s and 90s.

There are also examples outside of OF; sales of Northern Rock products/services went down massively in Sunderland and Middlesborough when they sponsored Newcastle....or maybe they saw the writing on the wall way before anyone else :greengrin

03-02-2010, 12:46 PM
Because the divide is so strong, it is to reduce the threat of one side boycotting that sponsor's products or services. I'm sure McEwen's Lager suffered as a result of only backing the Huns in the 80s and 90s.
There are also examples outside of OF; sales of Northern Rock products/services went down massively in Sunderland and Middlesborough when they sponsored Newcastle....or maybe they saw the writing on the wall way before anyone else :greengrinNaw ..truth is Mcewans lager suffered because it was absolutley gantin !!!! :jamboak:

03-02-2010, 12:55 PM
Thats JJBs boycotted, then Carling now Tennants. Guess I can switch to Carling when the deal runs out :greengrin

03-02-2010, 12:57 PM
Celtc fans are raging about it (http://kerrydalestreet.co.uk/topic/8244070/1/)

I think the greater significance of this deal is it proves that the "global reach" of the OF is a load of bull****. Tennents has minimal presence outside Scotland, but has a big chunk of our small market (a bit like Irn Bru, perhaps). One would have thought that such massive global brands as Rantic would attract an international blue chip sponsor.

Erm, naw.

TheEastTerrace
03-02-2010, 12:57 PM
Naw ..truth is Mcewans lager suffered because it was absolutley gantin !!!! :jamboak:

This too :greengrin Between that and Export, Mcewans really was an affliction on the drinking masses!

03-02-2010, 01:01 PM
Thats JJBs boycotted, then Carling now Tennants. Guess I can switch to Carling when the deal runs out :greengrin

I can't see why anyone would drink Carling! :jamboak:

03-02-2010, 01:03 PM
This too :greengrin Between that and Export, Mcewans really was an affliction on the drinking masses!Sod it ..might as well chuck Carlsberg lager intae the mix too ..:greengrin

03-02-2010, 01:06 PM
Becks Veir proud sponsors of hibernian.

Nows there is a nice Lager

TheEastTerrace
03-02-2010, 01:06 PM
Sod it ..might as well chuck Carlsberg lager intae the mix too ..:greengrin

Me and mates used to call it a 'pint of Hibs' when they were our sponsors, as in 'fancy a pint?' 'aye, pint of Hibs please' :greengrin

The Carlsberg Export is just about bearable, but the Lager was just pesh water.

TheEastTerrace
03-02-2010, 01:09 PM

I think the greater significance of this deal is it proves that the "global reach" of the OF is a load of bull****. Tennents has minimal presence outside Scotland, but has a big chunk of our small market (a bit like Irn Bru, perhaps). One would have thought that such massive global brands as Rantic would attract an international blue chip sponsor.

Erm, naw.

In terms of global brand exposure, the SPL clubs offer nada. That said, if you were an international exporter of ghastly tasting tonic wine, the west of Scotland and the OF wouldn't be a bad target market to reach :greengrin

03-02-2010, 01:34 PM

I wouldn't wash my feet in it. :greengrin A truely horrible mass produced product by weegies for weegies. Gantin

03-02-2010, 01:46 PM
I like Tennents. Poor that they will be sponsoring those two, but I wouldn't think I will stop drinking it.

03-02-2010, 01:56 PM
I believe it is to stop significant numbers of customers boycotting their rivals sponsors.

Still I love the message. We're professional athletes - drink beer.

There's a guy I used to work with (in another department now) called Paul that will no longer go into JJB sports due to their agreement with Rangers.

He comes from a family that won't let a Rangers supporter in their house. Pathetic.

In fact, that reminds me. He made a quip that we were going to get beat 5 nout last week... Quick mail is in order I think. :greengrin

Monktonhall 7
03-02-2010, 01:57 PM
Thing is, reports say that the OF will each get £1.5m per season from the deal, over 3 years. All non OF supporters should boycott, and maybe collectively we will make a statement.

I cant ever remember going in to a pub and asking for Tennents, but from now on in will ask for anything but. I'm not bitter, but would not buy a Miller house, use a Mita copier, bank with Ukio whoever, etc etc etc :wink:

03-02-2010, 02:37 PM

Erm, naw.

I love Celtc fans who somehow think their club isn't the flip side of the same coin.

How deluded is that?

03-02-2010, 03:08 PM
A perfect match, a vile brew for a vile club (and it's two vile teams).

Never touch that toxic filth so absolutely no problem at all in boycotting it.

03-02-2010, 03:21 PM
Tennents is ganting.

03-02-2010, 04:09 PM
Ken man, Tennants is ****ing rank. All the pubs here sell it though. If im drinking a pint of lager, it's Stella every time. Cannae go wrong eh :thumbsup:

Or can you :devil:

03-02-2010, 04:12 PM
One would have thought that such massive global brands as Rantic would attract an international blue chip sponsor.

Erm, naw.

Probably just as well. Couldn't see Celtic fans being happy with that! :wink:

03-02-2010, 04:13 PM
Ken man, Tennants is ****ing rank. All the pubs here sell it though. If im drinking a pint of lager, it's Stella every time. Cannae go wrong eh :thumbsup:

Or can you :devil:

As I keep saying to the wife, the last thing I recall is saying 'one more for the road...'

03-02-2010, 04:13 PM

:

Give me a pint of Tennents over a pint of Stella anyday.

03-02-2010, 04:19 PM
As I keep saying to the wife, the last thing I recall is saying 'one more for the road...'

03-02-2010, 07:37 PM
I'll drink pretty much anything. I find that cheap lagers e.g. Fosters, Tennents, Carlsberg, Carling vary from pub to pub and they can pretty good but also pretty awful.

03-02-2010, 07:56 PM
quite enjoy a crisp pint or thre of tennents when i'm back up in Edinburgh. A cracking beer to drink overs a 12 hour session. When i start on the stronger stuff i last half the time. i'm just delighted there not sponsored by my favourie beer 1664. Hibs should go for a classy beer to sponsor us kronenberg 1664!!

It prob won't put me off drinking the big T, but disappointed they've sponsored the smellies and the huns. Mind you i'm not back up until the saints game on the 27th, i'll don't need to make a decision until then as all i see down here is carling & carlsberg both of which "i think" are lesser beers than the big T

Hail HAIL:thumbsup:

Laurax
03-02-2010, 08:01 PM
Me and mates used to call it a 'pint of Hibs' when they were our sponsors, as in 'fancy a pint?' 'aye, pint of Hibs please' :greengrin

The Carlsberg Export is just about bearable, but the Lager was just pesh water.

my dads mate drops sum green food colouring in his pint of carlsberg.proper hibees pint!!:thumbsup:

TheEastTerrace
03-02-2010, 08:22 PM
Give me a pint of Tennents over a pint of Stella anyday.

Too right. Stella is full of chemicals and the hangover is rotten. Plus, it's not called 'wifebeater' for nothing. We used to call it a 'pint of Trevor' after the boy who beat up Little Mo in Eastenders. Sends people loopy.

If it's a good pub, I find a pint of T quite crisp and refreshing. That's not to say I prefer other beers. Our foreign counterparts have produced some gems.

03-02-2010, 08:26 PM
Too right. Stella is full of chemicals and the hangover is rotten. Plus, it's not called 'wifebeater' for nothing. We used to call it a 'pint of Trevor' after the boy who beat up Little Mo in Eastenders. Sends people loopy.

If it's a good pub, I find a pint of T quite crisp and refreshing. That's not to say I prefer other beers. Our foreign counterparts have produced some gems.

My first choice is Peroni, Corona or Sol but failing that a Tennent's usually hits the spot for me.

Carling/Carlsberg/Stella? No thanks.

03-02-2010, 09:23 PM

You got any sleeveless tops?

Petrie's Tache
03-02-2010, 09:52 PM

My first choice is Peroni, Corona or Sol but failing that a Tennent's usually hits the spot for me.

Carling/Carlsberg/Stella? No thanks.

Me to.:agree:

03-02-2010, 10:10 PM

Erm, naw.

Think you're actually doing a dis-service to Irn Bru there, widely available here but not even Asda sells Tennant's, and they sell virually every beer under the sun! :thumbsup:

tony higgins
03-02-2010, 10:27 PM

Trevor was a weegie.

03-02-2010, 10:29 PM
This too :greengrin Between that and Export, Mcewans really was an affliction on the drinking masses!

my dad used to drink export, im sure he had no taste buds!! its rotten

03-02-2010, 10:32 PM
I'll have to admit I do like a pint of Tennants, will be a mild disappointment having to avoid it now. Will just stick to my usual bottles of Millers or Buds.

I do still wake up in cold sweats thinking about Tennants in a can though:jamboak:

04-02-2010, 07:22 AM
I love Celtc fans who somehow think their club isn't the flip side of the same coin.

How deluded is that?

Particularly in the case of sponsorship, as it is their (unofficial) boycotts of Rangers related brands (McEwans, JJB to a lesser extent) that force these joint arrangements.

But they're not the bigots, mind.

04-02-2010, 07:26 AM
i'm just delighted there not sponsored by my favourie beer 1664. Hibs should go for a classy beer to sponsor us kronenberg 1664!!

As much as I do enjoy a pint of Tennents, nothing beats a Kronenberg 1664.

04-02-2010, 07:38 AM
Tennents is ganting.Not so good a pint now but used to be a fantastic pint ..so much so it used to command over 70% of the lager market in Scotland ....mind you though Stella has been around since the 70's but only in the last few years has it grown in popularity ....anyway ..gie me a pint o Tennents lager anyday ..:greengrin

04-02-2010, 07:38 AM
I'm surprised that Buckfast don't get in on the act :greengrin
There again they probably don't need any publicity as they sell it in taploads through there anyway without the expense of sponsorship!

04-02-2010, 07:39 AM
There again they probably don't need any publicity as they sell it in taploads through there anyway without the expense of sponsorship!I read somewhere last week they were trying to ban buckie ...that will really hit the ugly sisters fi the west eh ..:greengrin

04-02-2010, 11:14 AM
whoever sponsors the ugly sisters sees not a penny of my money being spent on their products

Correct. I've bought my last Tennents product...

Sell out *******s.

04-02-2010, 04:44 PM
I read somewhere last week they were trying to ban buckie ...that will really hit the ugly sisters fi the west eh ..:greengrin
Only drank the proverbial 'Buckie' once...

Any coincidence that it was the day I got launched out of Celtic Park :faf:

04-02-2010, 05:16 PM
Correct. I've bought my last Tennents product...

Sell out *******s.

Moi aussi :agree:

04-02-2010, 05:39 PM
surprised that Guiness hav'nt thought about sponsoring celtic, i dont imagine many rangers fans if any drink the stuff anyway

04-02-2010, 05:45 PM
I don't drink Tennants anyway as I think it's gantin - but if I did I would see it as my duty to DEFINATELY BOYCOTT IT.

They are actually GIVING MONEY to the evil twins FFS :grr::grr::grr:

I don't drink the pesh but will be encouraging all who do to try a different brew.

04-02-2010, 06:31 PM
Trevor was a weegie.

Trevor is a jambo.

04-02-2010, 06:47 PM
Time for a change of drink :agree: They'll no see a penny of my money while handing it over tae sponsor that **** :bitchy:

04-02-2010, 06:55 PM
There again they probably don't need any publicity as they sell it in taploads through there anyway without the expense of sponsorship!

Don't they already sponsor BUCKIE THISTLE ??? :greengrin :greengrin

04-02-2010, 07:03 PM
I wouldn't wash my feet in it. :greengrin A truely horrible mass produced product by weegies for weegies. Gantin

It sed to be brewed at Roseburn at one time.