PDA

View Full Version : Minute's silence before the Yams semi-final???

lyonhibs
03-02-2010, 07:56 AM
I don't have sound at work.

What was the minute's silence in aid of before the game???

Martin
03-02-2010, 07:57 AM
Csaba Lazlo :wink:

Sandy
03-02-2010, 07:58 AM

The fact they knew they were away to be emptied out of the cup perhaps :confused:

CropleyWasGod
03-02-2010, 08:03 AM
Respect, guys.

One of the players in their great 60's team died earlier this week. Scottish cap, won the League, Cup and League Cup, I believe. It's too early for me, so I can't remember his name. Someone will be on to remind me in a bit.

Humble pie, anyone? :wink:

Andy74
03-02-2010, 08:10 AM

The passing of Jim Jeffries dignity?

Beefster
03-02-2010, 08:12 AM
Bobby Kirk died on the 1st Feb, hence the silence.

Part/Time Supporter
03-02-2010, 08:13 AM
Bobby Kirk (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobby_Kirk_%28footballer%29)

:agree:

Leithenhibby
03-02-2010, 08:18 AM

Well done Beefster.

Someone with a bit dignity...:bitchy:

Andy74
03-02-2010, 08:33 AM
Well done Beefster.

Someone with a bit dignity...:bitchy:

People ain't half a bit sensitive about death these days, I blame Princess Di.

hibbie02
03-02-2010, 08:36 AM

Indeed. Hardly a big game for Hertz goes by but they are having a silence for someone.

J-C
03-02-2010, 08:38 AM

A death no matter who it is or who he played for should always be respected.:confused:

NORTHERNHIBBY
03-02-2010, 09:10 AM

Going by the crowd figure, I would guess it was for absent friends.

Andy74
03-02-2010, 09:10 AM
A death no matter who it is or who he played for should always be respected.:confused:

Yep, but what is being termed as disrespect is going a bit far. A few jokes on a message board, about Hearts, not about the death, isn't disrespecting the person who died.

CropleyWasGod
03-02-2010, 09:25 AM

D'oh. That's the felly.

Cheers. :thumbsup:

CropleyWasGod
03-02-2010, 09:28 AM
Indeed. Hardly a big game for Hertz goes by but they are having a silence for someone.

Think we would have some sort of "occasion" if it were, say, one of our great team of the 50's. Given the age of those guys, it's going to be fairly regular.

CropleyWasGod
03-02-2010, 09:29 AM

Question. You don't have sound. How did you know it was a minute's silence? :devil:

Sandy
03-02-2010, 09:35 AM
Yep, but what is being termed as disrespect is going a bit far. A few jokes on a message board, about Hearts, not about the death, isn't disrespecting the person who died.

:agree: Anyway I didn't know an ex player had died, and was in no way being disrespectful to the ex player, just the current joke of a club.

Hibs On Tour
03-02-2010, 09:58 AM

If you're aware of it, yes. The posters noted clearly weren't so hardly being disrespectful were they. Wee bit harsh on them IMHO.

Wouldnae gie that tuppenny brass Princess Di to sweat aff my clankers though, never mind a minutes silence - whole country lost its ****ing marbles IMO back then - collective mob hysteria - never seen the likes and hope I never do again...

lyonhibs
03-02-2010, 10:04 AM
I hasten to add I didn't know about Bobby Kirk, as there was very little press coverage of the death.

Therefore, I was just surprised by the minute's silence.

No disrespect intended at all.

Danderhall Hibs
03-02-2010, 10:15 AM
Question. You don't have sound. How did you know it was a minute's silence? :devil:

Everyone would've been standing about looking solemn. Managers glancing ocassionally over to the terracing where someone's shuffled his feet causing those in the vicinity to shout him down.

Andy74
03-02-2010, 10:23 AM
Everyone would've been standing about looking solemn. Managers glancing ocassionally over to the terracing where someone's shuffled his feet causing those in the vicinity to shout him down.

Aye, but what about the minute's silence?

Danderhall Hibs
03-02-2010, 10:27 AM
Aye, but what about the minute's silence?

:hilarious

An Leargaidh
03-02-2010, 10:48 AM

It is a little known fact that Eamon De Valera, Taoiseach (prime minister) of Ireland in 1944, upon hearing the news of the death of Adolf Hitler, made his way to the German embassy in Dublin and signed the Book of Condolences :angeldevi
Cammy

tony higgins
03-02-2010, 11:16 AM
If you're aware of it, yes. The posters noted clearly weren't so hardly being disrespectful were they. Wee bit harsh on them IMHO.

Wouldnae gie that tuppenny brass Princess Di to sweat aff my clankers though, never mind a minutes silence - whole country lost its ****ing marbles IMO back then - collective mob hysteria - never seen the likes and hope I never do again...

Was a strange time alright.

tony higgins
03-02-2010, 11:24 AM
It is a little known fact that Eamon De Valera, Taoiseach (prime minister) of Ireland in 1944, upon hearing the news of the death of Adolf Hitler, made his way to the German embassy in Dublin and signed the Book of Condolences :angeldevi
Cammy

Or that in 1936 the swastika was flown over Ibrox at a Scotland v Germany game.
Although to be fair the salute the German players gave was really just pointing out the direction of Clydebank to the fans rather than a salute to Hitler.
World history could have been altered if the Glesga Polis had collared the lot of them then and there.

Lofarl
03-02-2010, 12:29 PM
I think they have never taken the swastika down at grayskull.

greenlex
03-02-2010, 02:26 PM
Bobby Kirk (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobby_Kirk_%28footballer%29)

:agree:
Hearts legend. Won every domestic competition with them.

]Distant relation to Lex. Mothers cousin I think.:blushie:

plhibs
03-02-2010, 02:34 PM
Hearts legend. Won every domestic competition with them.

]Distant relation to Lex. Mothers cousin I think.:blushie:

He was my Uncle, had a nice chat with him when i was home for my Dads funeral a couple of years ago , he was a nice man even though he was one of THEM.:wink:

greenlex
03-02-2010, 02:36 PM
He was my Uncle, had a nice chat with him when i was home for my Dads funeral a couple of years ago , he was a nice man even though he was one of THEM.:wink:
Only ever saw him at Funerals. Quite happy to talk football though.

Dashing Bob S
03-02-2010, 03:00 PM
RIP Bobby.

I had never heard about this.

I assumed that the one minutes silence was simply a dress rehearsal, to get them in the mood for the subsequent 90 minutes silence that was to follow.

--------
03-02-2010, 03:17 PM
Cammy

De Valera might have been Taioseach in 1944, but he didn't extend his condolences to the Third Reich over Hitler's death until 1945.

But then, why not? De Valera and Hitler were poisoned fruit from the same damned tree.

Bobby Kirk was a fine footballer, and from all I read and hear, a fine man too.

In his day Hibs and Hearts fans could talk to one another without abusing one another. Those times died when Wally Smirker arrived on the scene and IMO they'll never now return.

My sympathy to those who knew him, and to his family. Sorry to hear of his death.

Hibs On Tour
03-02-2010, 03:21 PM
Cammy

No in 1944 he didnae... :devil:

jdships
03-02-2010, 04:11 PM

You must be very proud to have had Bobby Kirk as your uncle .
This man was a gentleman both as a sportsman as well as in private life .
Always ready to chat and laugh about football , always ready to accept that football had been good to him .
I played against him when he was with Dunfermline Athletic - hard but fair to the extreme !.
My wife, son and myself became "regular patient's " at his physio business in Churchill for years - he kept me playing golf when the doctor's couldn't !!.
He also served Linlithgow Rose well when on their training staff.
Played 138 games for Dunfy, 36 for Raith and 213 for the Jambo's
For me the color of the jersey he wore is immaterial - Bobby was a "legend" to all who knew him.

You have my sincere condolences
RIP Bobby Kirk

:top marks

The Green Goblin
03-02-2010, 04:13 PM
Cammy

Hitler died in 1945.

GG

jdships
03-02-2010, 04:18 PM
Hitler died in 1945.

GG

What has all this nonsense got to do with remembering a gentleman of the game of football ?
:bitchy::confused:

Andy74
03-02-2010, 04:26 PM
What has all this nonsense got to do with remembering a gentleman of the game of football ?
:bitchy::confused:

Well nowt, but he was remembered last night, and every moment by his family and friends I'm sure. This is just a thread on a website. And not a condolence thread either.

jdships
03-02-2010, 04:37 PM
Well nowt, but he was remembered last night, and every moment by his family and friends I'm sure. This is just a thread on a website. And not a condolence thread either.

That's me put in my place !
Sound like a head master - were you ?
If you look at OP it wasn't a thread about Hitler either :bye:

:greengrin:wink:

ancient hibee
03-02-2010, 06:57 PM
Quite strange-Hearts backs were Bobby Parker and Tam Mackenzie -two old style defenders who regularly put their winger into the crowd with the ball.They were replaced by Bobby Kirk and George Thomson-both fine footballers-Thomson sometimes played inside forward-and the powerhouses in the team were Mackay and Cumming.Kirk was a really good all round footballer-Thomson went to Everton at the same time as Alex Young and is considered a legend there.I liked watching Hearts in those days-apart from the odd cuffing they gave us.

Phil D. Rolls
03-02-2010, 07:01 PM

If that was the case - and it is something the Yams are particularly bad for - every game would be preceded by a minute's silence. What would be the point of that?

TRC
03-02-2010, 08:55 PM
I hasten to add I didn't know about Bobby Kirk, as there was very little press coverage of the death.

Therefore, I was just surprised by the minute's silence.

No disrespect intended at all.

Another case of west coast media dross, when a Lisbon Lion dies we have to sit through hours of it on the telly, i'm not saying that is wrong or that these players don't deserve it. But can they say that if any Hibs legend Hearts legend or any other clubs hero dies they would get the same coverage, I very much doubt it.

J-C
03-02-2010, 09:44 PM
If that was the case - and it is something the Yams are particularly bad for - every game would be preceded by a minute's silence. What would be the point of that?

The death of any former player is usually marked by a minutes silence prior to the next match, so what is your point?