PDA

View Full Version : Robbie Keane

seanraff07
03-02-2010, 12:38 AM
Read on the front page of The Sun today that aswell as Celtic paying him £65K they had to pay Spurs a fee of £1M, their taking a massive gamble, and so far it hasn't paid off at all.

Hainan Hibs
03-02-2010, 12:42 AM
They do seem to have hit the panic button with a sledgehammer.

It will only get worse if Hibs win their game in hand and go above them.

Tidy earner for Keane though.

Hibercelona
03-02-2010, 12:45 AM
Other people may disagree with me.

But I think he is vastly over rated. :yawn:

seanraff07
03-02-2010, 12:46 AM
Ken i think its more the amount of money he's going to be earning that tempted him to go, and not the fact their his 'boyhood heroes'.

SRHibs
03-02-2010, 12:47 AM
Umm, was he not on £65,000 at Spurs?
I thought Celtic were just paying the full wad, that's why it's so much.

He looked one of the few good players tonight for Celtic anyway. There's some complete pish in that team tbf.

seanraff07
03-02-2010, 12:49 AM
Other people may disagree with me.

But I think he is vastly over rated. :yawn:
I agree, i also don't think leaving Spurs in the first place to go to Liverpool done him any favours, he was decent in his first spell with Spurs but has been nothing short of pish since.

MWHIBBIES
03-02-2010, 12:59 AM
There is no dout he is a good player but imho is a bit over rated and not a natural goalscorer.He is more of a support striker that will not score many goals and i would prefer stokes. Plus the fact that the are paying him 65 grand a week ffs for an spl club that is a joke.

TONY HAS LOST THE PLOT

imo

And for all this pish he is spouting about being a celtic fan all his life BOLLOCKS

Same as camara who is from senagal is claming larrson is his hero.

VegasHibby
03-02-2010, 02:06 AM
There is no dout he is a good player but imho is a bit over rated and not a natural goalscorer.He is more of a support striker that will not score many goals and i would prefer stokes. Plus the fact that the are paying him 65 grand a week ffs for an spl club that is a joke.

TONY HAS LOST THE PLOT

imo

And for all this pish he is spouting about being a celtic fan all his life BOLLOCKS

agree he is over rated but he's def a natural goalscorer

OstKurve Hibs
03-02-2010, 04:18 AM
Utter balls bout being a smellic fan, i remember him saying he was a boyhood liverpool fan when he signed for them and it was a dream come true.
Unless he jus tells people what they want to hear!

rainman
03-02-2010, 04:46 AM
He'll score goals but doubtful whether they will win them the league so not sure if it's worth it or not.

Its a shame that it's celtic who are struggling in the league and not rangers. I would've felt much more confident of catching rangers if they were in Celtic's position but unable to strengthen in the window.

RMG_82
03-02-2010, 05:36 AM

TONY HAS LOST THE PLOT

imo

"not a natural goalscorer"????

he has a 1 in 2 ratio at international level, is Irelands all time top goal scorer, and has almost 200 senior goals to his name in the worlds best league. I'd prefer Keane over Stokes any day

CallumLaidlaw
03-02-2010, 06:01 AM
Utter balls bout being a smellic fan, i remember him saying he was a boyhood liverpool fan when he signed for them and it was a dream come true.
Unless he jus tells people what they want to hear!

anyone that signs for them has to appear "celtic minded"

They are the only club in the world where the fans feels so insecure that EVERY player has to be one of them.

The_Todd
03-02-2010, 07:07 AM
anyone that signs for them has to appear "celtic minded"

They are the only club in the world where the fans feels so insecure that EVERY player has to be one of them.

:agree:

A more paranoid and deluded set of fans you'll never meet. Ok, the Yams are also paranoid and deluded but not to the same degree; at least they don't have the need for Christian Nade to confirm he's a lifelong Jambo to accept he's a vastly overpaid waste of space.

That the Celtic fans demand it from their players, and fall for it everytime their players give it the whole "Boyhood heros" nonsense says a lot about them, really.

Disc O'Dave
03-02-2010, 07:18 AM
He'll score goals but doubtful whether they will win them the league so not sure if it's worth it or not.

Its a shame that it's celtic who are struggling in the league and not rangers. I would've felt much more confident of catching rangers if they were in Celtic's position but unable to strengthen in the window.

I would imagine that the main driver for Robbie Keane at Celtic isn't winning the league...it's making sure they don't miss out on the Champions League qualifiers. Maybe we have them genuinely worried?

The potential income from the CL will more than cover Robbie Keane's outlay.

Provided they keep second place.

Provided they can get through the CL qualifiers.

davemcbain
03-02-2010, 07:39 AM
Massive risk for them - can you imagine training with someone who is paid 10 times your rate (and it's very public knowledge!!) and realising he's not that much better than you - could lead to mega wage demands at contract renewal and a bit of dischord in the camp.

I'd put last night down to so many moves in and out and a bunch of people who haven't played together not gelling. Time will tell. Keane has the talent, will he get the confidence and support of those around him?

forthhibby
03-02-2010, 07:56 AM
SSN Breaking news, Robbie keane has returned to Spurs, as he was only at celtic til the end of their season

KWJ
03-02-2010, 08:11 AM
Think it's a good signing tbh. And taking Stokes before Keane :greengrin

They only had 41,000 against us. No doubt that would have dropped further, now they will be selling out.

It's not exactly hard to believe that an Irish man supported both Liverpool & Celtic growing up is it?

I hope he sucks and we can beat them to 2nd but it's a great marquee signing for Celtic and the SPL and diverts the attention away from how pish Celtic have been. It'll even be big enough to cover up last nights slip up which could have seen Mogga in severe soapy bubble had it not been for the signings.

I love having a laugh at them but think we need a reality check on this one!

sadtom
03-02-2010, 08:11 AM
He's always wanted to play for celtc...for 4 months...for a million quid...he's obviously a diehard fan.

KWJ
03-02-2010, 08:17 AM
SSN Breaking news, Robbie keane has returned to Spurs, as he was only at celtic til the end of their season

:tee hee: :top marks

KWJ
03-02-2010, 08:23 AM
He's always wanted to play for celtc...for 4 months...for a million quid...he's obviously a diehard fan.

He's not claimed to be a die hard fan:confused: He said he supports, which for me means he may have had the strips when he was young, looks out for results and is happy when they win. Probably been to a few games.

Riordan is probably a die hard Hibs fan but he still left us for nowt when he was worth a couple mil and made us fork out a few hundred k to come home to which we creamed ourselves.

forthhibby
03-02-2010, 08:39 AM
been sent this, sorry if already posted on another thread, best viewed in full screen

YouTube - A NIghtmare on Kerrydale Street (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K16cgsqm_XU&fmt=22)

Big90inOz
03-02-2010, 08:49 AM

:top marks:thumbsup:

Joe Baker II
03-02-2010, 08:54 AM
Massive risk for them - can you imagine training with someone who is paid 10 times your rate (and it's very public knowledge!!) and realising he's not that much better than you - could lead to mega wage demands at contract renewal and a bit of dischord in the camp.

Decent management should be able to sort this, wage disparities exist in all organisations. Though I am doubtful how effective Keane will be, I generally find it pretty pathetic when clubs use excuse of not breaking wage structure as an excuse for lack of ambition/unwillingness to spend.

Though this does not mean that football wages (not really a Scotland problem though) are not too high.

Joe Baker II
03-02-2010, 08:59 AM
Think benefits of Keane signing may be too rest of Scottish football rather than Celtic, as posted (before game) yesterday unconvinced Celtic's new signings are an overall improvement on those sold.

For example, crowd of just under 10,000 at Rugby Park still poor but given live coverage and crowds Killie have been getting at OF games in last 7 years, it was an improvement and probably netted them £40,000 + they would not otherwise have received.

And even if only a loan highest profile player to come here for a while so should be intangible boost to Scottish football in commercial terms to rest of season.

Viva_Palmeiras
03-02-2010, 09:23 AM
Any truth in the rumour "The Winner Takes it all" was played after the match or was it "we are the champions"?

--------
03-02-2010, 10:50 AM
been sent this, sorry if already posted on another thread, best viewed in full screen

YouTube - A NIghtmare on Kerrydale Street (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K16cgsqm_XU&fmt=22)

Thank you, kind sir.

That was a most enjoyable 10 minutes.

I notice that the BBC has a "SPL Welcomes Keane" video on its website - presumably they were expecting him to score a hat-trick so they could continue the adulation a while longer.

FWIW, I think Keane's a good enough striker to do a fair bit of damage in the SPL, so I'm not going to be saying too much against him. He could still come around to haunt us....

BTW - didn't Jhack RhentaBhoy Rheghan tell us only last week that KDS is the most balanced and mature of the Celtk fansites? :devil:

Winston Ingram
03-02-2010, 10:52 AM
I agree, i also don't think leaving Spurs in the first place to go to Liverpool done him any favours, he was decent in his first spell with Spurs but has been nothing short of pish since.

He's been rank for nearly 2 yrs. Spurs fans are over the moon:agree:

--------
03-02-2010, 10:58 AM

Well, now he's RHANK. Gotta watch the Celtk spelling, mate.

Bad Martini
03-02-2010, 11:06 AM
Ahhh man. I do love it for sure.

All that dough and they STILL got turned over by a "diddy" team (C) Massed Meeja/Celtc Fans ...

As I said the other day there, celtc can feel very warmly invited to as gracefully as possible, take their classless team, classless manager and classless fans and ram their massively expensive signings up their collective, clinker covered erses.

They're 2 points ahead of the mighty Hibees and how much did we spend? By everyones' admissions where we are is something of a mixture of good grace, grit and a little bit o magic (that doesny cost us 10's of thousands of pounds per week) so, it must REALLY piss them off to spend ALL that and be 2, I say 2 scabby points ahead of us.

It must also piss them off that the equally sheite huns are 10 points clear of them and their (celtc) season is all but over.

I say, with no grace, class or observation of good form, in the vein of yer average Joe Tic fan:

GIRFUY x 62 :thumbsup:

Endof :thumbsup::thumbsup:

KWJ
03-02-2010, 01:25 PM
having played a game extra on top of that mind :wink:

khib70
03-02-2010, 01:33 PM
Well, now he's RHANK. Gotta watch the Celtk spelling, mate.
:faf:
...and it's Rhobbai O'Cheain to you!

or Robbie your biscuit tinnie:duck:

--------
03-02-2010, 01:52 PM
:faf:
...and it's Rhobbai O'Cheain to you!

or Robbie your biscuit tinnie:duck:

No - that would only be so if they were real Irish.

They're Plastic Paddy Pseudo-Oirish Begorrah-merchants.

And in case they haven't sobered up yet (who am I kidding - Celtk supporters sobering up? That'll be the day.... :rolleyes: ) according to Harry Redknapp (whose opinion is still the opinion that counts in matters relating to Rhobbie) the loan is a loan till the end of the season to get Rhobbie games.

It's quite possible that Rhobbie will have to choose between playing in the Europa League for his "boyhood heroes" (at a reduced salary) or in the same Europa League (or maybe even the Champions' League) for Spurs - at his present modest wage.

Wonder which he'd choose? :cool2:

MWHIBBIES
03-02-2010, 01:59 PM
"not a natural goalscorer"????

he has a 1 in 2 ratio at international level, is Irelands all time top goal scorer, and has almost 200 senior goals to his name in the worlds best league. I'd prefer Keane over Stokes any dayI ment it more as in he will not score 30 goals a season and cannot play right up top like torres.

I know he is a goal scorer but not like defoe villa or torres are.

Bohemian_Hibee
03-02-2010, 02:46 PM
A (TRANSFER DEADLINE) DAY IN THE LIFE OF ROBERT DAVID KEANE (AGED 29)

12pm: Get up and eat hearty Irish breakfast. It's going to be another long transfer deadline day chez Keane. I've been a massive fan of transfer deadline day all my life, going back to when I was a kid growing up in Dublin.

12.45pm: Mmm, that was tasty. I've been a massive fan of rashers, eggs, sausages, baked beans, black pudding, soda bread and black tea all my life, going back to when I was a kid growing up in Dublin.

1.30pm: Knock on lid of sunbed and ask Claudine where designer washbag is. She says she'll pack it for me when she's finished topping up her tan. She's been a massive fan of UV rays, going back to when she was a kid growing up in Dublin.

1.35pm: Check tabloid websites to see which teams I'm being linked with. Ooh! Sunderland and the Queen's Celtic. I haven't played for either before, but like Wolves, Coventry, Inter, Dirty Leeds, Spurs and Liverpool, I've been a massive fan of both clubs all my life, going back to when I was kid growing up in Dublin.

1.50pm: Print off template of stock unveiling speech that's served me so well down the years: "It's absolutely fantastic, a real dream co

Hibs On Tour
03-02-2010, 03:24 PM
Apologies if already posted elsewhere...

12pm: Get up and eat hearty Irish breakfast. It's going to be another long transfer deadline day chez Keane. I've been a massive fan of transfer deadline day all my life, going back to when I was a kid growing up in Dublin.

12.45pm: Mmm, that was tasty. I've been a massive fan of rashers, eggs, sausages, baked beans, black pudding, soda bread and black tea all my life, going back to when I was a kid growing up in Dublin.

1.30pm: Knock on lid of sunbed and ask Claudine where designer washbag is. She says she'll pack it for me when she's finished topping up her tan. She's been a massive fan of UV rays, going back to when she was a kid growing up in Dublin.

1.35pm: Check tabloid websites to see which teams I'm being linked with. Ooh! Sunderland and the Queen's Celtic. I haven't played for either before, but like Wolves, Coventry, Inter, Dirty Leeds, Spurs and Liverpool, I've been a massive fan of both clubs all my life, going back to when I was kid growing up in Dublin.

1.50pm: Print off template of stock unveiling speech that's served me so well down the years: "It's absolutely fantastic, a real dream come true for me. I've been a [insert team name in here] fan all my life, going back to when I was a kid growing up in Dublin, and I always had a [insert team name in here] shirt on my back. So, to be here now as a [insert team name in here] player is incredible and I couldn't be happier ..."

2pm: Mr 10% hasn't called, so knock on lid of sunbed to ask Claudine what I should do next. She says to check to see if there's any reporters from Sky Sports News standing shivering outside the house. I've been a massive fan of Sky Sports News all my life, going back to when I was a kid growing up in Dublin.

2.05pm: Dash to window and look, but can't see any reporters from Sky Sports News.

4pm: Remember to open curtains and see inquisitive face of shivering, microphone-wielding eejit in Sky Sports puffa jacket staring back at me. I've been a massive fan of Andy Burton all my life, going back to when I was a kid growing up in Dublin.

4.30pm: Get call from Mr 10% - the Queen's Celtic have come in for me!!! That's great news. I've been a massive fan of the Queen's Celtic all my life, going back to when I was a kid growing up in Dublin.

4.35pm: Get on AA route-finder. 401.4 miles!?!?!? I can't get there by the deadline at 5pm.

5.40pm: Ring Mr 10% to explain predicament. Apparently the transfer window in Scotland doesn't close until midnight, so I've time to get a flight. A flight? I've been a massive fan of flying all my life, going back to when I was a kid growing up in Dublin.

5.45pm: Knock on lid of sunbed and tell Claudine we're moving to Glasgow.

5.50pm: Orange arm emerges from sunbed holding Armani washbag containing cheese sandwiches and a Lucozade bottle full of cold tea. I've been a massive fan of packed lunch all my life going back to when I was a kid growing up in Dublin.

5.55pm: Leave house, step over frozen corpse of microphone-wielding man in Sky Sports puffa jacket. Drive to airport, get on plane.

9pm: Appear before press at Queen's Celtic Park wearing green and white hoops, the colours of Queen's Celtic who I've been a massive fan of all my life, going back to when I was a kid growing up in Dublin. "It's absolutely unbelievable. I always wanted to play for the [Queen's] Celtic and it works out well for both parties."

9.05pm: Check fixture list. Next up it's Kilmarnock away. I've been a massive fan of Kilma … actually no, I've never heard of them.

Vintage stuff Mr Dub... :greengrin

Dashing Bob S
03-02-2010, 03:27 PM
Apologies if already posted elsewhere...

1.50pm: Print off template of stock unveiling speech that's served me so well down the years: "It's absolutely fantastic, a real dream come true for me. I've been a [insert team name in here] fan all my life, going back to when I was a kid growing up in Dublin, and I always had a [insert team name in here] shirt on my back. So, to be here now as a [insert team name in here] player is incredible and I couldn't be happier ..."

2pm: Mr 10% hasn't called, so knock on lid of sunbed to ask Claudine what I should do next. She says to check to see if there's any reporters from Sky Sports News standing shivering outside the house. I've been a massive fan of Sky Sports News all my life, going back to when I was a kid growing up in Dublin.

2.05pm: Dash to window and look, but can't see any reporters from Sky Sports News.

4pm: Remember to open curtains and see inquisitive face of shivering, microphone-wielding eejit in Sky Sports puffa jacket staring back at me. I've been a massive fan of Andy Burton all my life, going back to when I was a kid growing up in Dublin.

4.30pm: Get call from Mr 10% - the Queen's Celtic have come in for me!!! That's great news. I've been a massive fan of the Queen's Celtic all my life, going back to when I was a kid growing up in Dublin.

4.35pm: Get on AA route-finder. 401.4 miles!?!?!? I can't get there by the deadline at 5pm.

5.40pm: Ring Mr 10% to explain predicament. Apparently the transfer window in Scotland doesn't close until midnight, so I've time to get a flight. A flight? I've been a massive fan of flying all my life, going back to when I was a kid growing up in Dublin.

5.45pm: Knock on lid of sunbed and tell Claudine we're moving to Glasgow.

5.50pm: Orange arm emerges from sunbed holding Armani washbag containing cheese sandwiches and a Lucozade bottle full of cold tea. I've been a massive fan of packed lunch all my life going back to when I was a kid growing up in Dublin.

5.55pm: Leave house, step over frozen corpse of microphone-wielding man in Sky Sports puffa jacket. Drive to airport, get on plane.

9pm: Appear before press at Queen's Celtic Park wearing green and white hoops, the colours of Queen's Celtic who I've been a massive fan of all my life, going back to when I was a kid growing up in Dublin. "It's absolutely unbelievable. I always wanted to play for the [Queen's] Celtic and it works out well for both parties."

9.05pm: Check fixture list. Next up it's Kilmarnock away. I've been a massive fan of Kilma … actually no, I've never heard of them.

Brilliant. You should send it into the BBC. There's an excuse for the Daily Record putting this sort of slavering nonsense in their paper, (writen by half-wits for morons) but the BBC website on the Keane loan was nothing short of embarassing.

seanraff07
03-02-2010, 03:32 PM

I'm sure they are, and Celtic proving how daft they are in what they use their money on, Spurs will probably be pretty confident Celtic will pay around £5M to sign him permanently.:greengrin