PDA

View Full Version : Cmon Hibs go get em

Captain Trips
02-02-2010, 08:38 PM
Go for 2nd Hibs, no matter what now its worth it we are 100% behind you, go for 3pts each week.

WhileTheChief..
02-02-2010, 08:42 PM
Absolutely. :thumbsup:

Celtics next 3 games are against dundee utd, Hearts and Aberdeen, they could easily drop more points.

We seem to be hitting form at a great time of the season, confidence must be soaring and nothing to stop us now:thumbsup:

bighairyfaeleith
02-02-2010, 08:42 PM
:thumbsup:

joe breezy
02-02-2010, 08:43 PM
Who says Rangers are going to win every week? We should be going for second but you never know...

Great scores tonight, only downside is a bit of regret over not doing a purely emotional bet with a Killie, Buddies double but still very happy nonetheless

Dashing Bob S
02-02-2010, 08:44 PM
Absolutely. :thumbsup:

Celtics next 3 games are against dundee utd, Hearts and Aberdeen, they could easily drop more points.

We seem to be hitting form at a great time of the season, confidence must be soaring and nothing to stop us now:thumbsup:

Hopefully against the first and last.

Westie1875
02-02-2010, 08:45 PM
Come on the Hibees, starting with a win in the cup on Sat followed by another win against the sheepies please!

:thumbsup: :notworthy:

This is some season so far, lets just enjoy the ride!

Russian Hibs Fan
02-02-2010, 08:48 PM
:thumbsup: We can do it!!!

Hibby Bairn
02-02-2010, 09:00 PM
Aim high. Big game on the 13th at Ibrox. Yes...we probably won't get 2nd never mind 1st but you gotta go for it and see where you are end March.

Captain Trips
02-02-2010, 09:02 PM
Come on the Hibees, starting with a win in the cup on Sat followed by another win against the sheepies please!

:thumbsup: :notworthy:

This is some season so far, lets just enjoy the ride!

Enjoy the ride indeed, we know that all the players are here till end, lets push

Sas_The_Hibby
02-02-2010, 09:03 PM
Go for 2nd Hibs, no matter what now its worth it we are 100% behind you, go for 3pts each week.

If only they'd thought of that sooner!! :wink:

Sir David Gray
02-02-2010, 09:05 PM
Aim high. Big game on the 13th at Ibrox. Yes...we probably won't get 2nd never mind 1st but you gotta go for it and see where you are end March.

:agree: If we can manage to win against Aberdeen and then Rangers in our next two league games, it would put us in a really good position.

Let's not get too far ahead of ourselves though, one step at a time.

We've achieved nothing yet.

Hibernian blade
02-02-2010, 09:39 PM
Is a second place finish a reality or just a dream ?
I'm actually starting to get excited

God Petrie
02-02-2010, 09:40 PM
Shut upp

KerPlunk
02-02-2010, 09:40 PM
Feet firmly on the ground please folks. :rules:

hibee92
02-02-2010, 09:45 PM
3rd place will do me nicely :agree:

.Sean.
02-02-2010, 09:47 PM
:agree: If we can manage to win against Aberdeen and then Rangers in our next two league games, it would put us in a really good position.

Let's not get too far ahead of ourselves though, one step at a time.

We've achieved nothing yet.
Yet :wink:

joe breezy
02-02-2010, 09:48 PM
Anything less than a League and Cup double would be a failure in my eyes :hyper::hyper:

Calvin
02-02-2010, 09:48 PM
Getting horsed out the CL with only 2 European games?

Or possibly the group stage of the Europa and 8 European games?

Don't get me wrong, I would love 2nd, but there is a massively long way to go and I am delighted with where we are now and delighted with 3rd.

The split will be vital this year I feel.

hibee92
02-02-2010, 09:51 PM

Don't get me wrong, I would love 2nd, but there is a massively long way to go and I am delighted with where we are now and delighted with 3rd.

agree but finishing second would give us more of a chance of keeping our better players and push onto bigger and better things next season

still, 3rd will do me :agree:

Alex Trager
02-02-2010, 10:32 PM
First would do me, the champions league money , the extremely unfairly split television money etc but i suppose this money may come to us after second

NORTHERNHIBBY
02-02-2010, 10:35 PM
Feet firmly on the ground please folks. :rules:

Yep. Fourth or better will be decent progress.

tony higgins
02-02-2010, 10:37 PM
Great thing is nobody even seem to know we,re there.

Just ready to pounce.

MacBean
02-02-2010, 10:39 PM
hate to say it but hearts can do us a favour at CP next week

Andy74
02-02-2010, 10:40 PM
Second place in our hands. Simply win every game and that's that

Jim44
02-02-2010, 10:40 PM
:hyper::drunk::woohoo::paranoid::shocked::shocked: steady on guys, I'm getting really nervous at all this positivity. I hope Montrose get one or two consolation goals on Saturday to bring us all back down to earth. :greengrin

lucky
02-02-2010, 10:45 PM
We are not going to get second. The wee green spin offs from the east of Glasgow will get their act together to finish second. Third and a decent crack at the holy grail will do.

Russian Hibs Fan
03-02-2010, 05:25 AM

No, to reach the Europa League group stage you should go through 2 qualifying rounds, that is not easy. Champions Leagur all the time!

cockneymike
03-02-2010, 07:45 AM
No, to reach the Europa League group stage you should go through 2 qualifying rounds, that is not easy. Champions Leagur all the time!

Not necessarily, as can be seen from the link below. The team that finishes third in the spl would have to play 2 qualifying rounds, but the cup winners play 1.

In the event that the cup winners qualify for the champions league though, the team 5th spl in the league gets the spot 1st qualifying rd spot, 4th in the league gets the 2nd qualifying rd spot, and the team in 3rd in the spl gets the final qualifying rd spot.

So if we finish 3rd and either of the top2/of win the cup, 1 qualifying rd; we win the cup, 1 qualifying rd; or we finish 1st/2nd and then we're in the CL so it's all moot!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010%E2%80%9311_UEFA_Europa_League

Monts
03-02-2010, 09:06 AM
Not necessarily, as can be seen from the link below. The team that finishes third in the spl would have to play 2 qualifying rounds, but the cup winners play 1.

In the event that the cup winners qualify for the champions league though, the team 5th spl in the league gets the spot 1st qualifying rd spot, 4th in the league gets the 2nd qualifying rd spot, and the team in 3rd in the spl gets the final qualifying rd spot.

So if we finish 3rd and either of the top2/of win the cup, 1 qualifying rd; we win the cup, 1 qualifying rd; or we finish 1st/2nd and then we're in the CL so it's all moot!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010%E2%80%9311_UEFA_Europa_LeagueWe might as well just win the cup to save any complications :greengrin

HibbyAndy
03-02-2010, 09:19 AM
3rd place and a trip to Hampden and i will be one very very happy man :agree:.

IF we manage to win the SC ill be pished as a fart for weeks on end.

Ill be utterly delighted with a European place come the end of the season wether that be through 3rd place or 4th place in the league.

:notworthy:

MyJo
03-02-2010, 10:05 AM

Winning the Scottish Cup will get us into the final qualifying round of the europa cup.
Finishing 3rd will get us into the third qualifying round of the europa cup
Finishing 4th will get us into the second qualifying round of the europa cup

Finishing 2nd would get us into the third qualifying round for "best placed" teams in the CL where we would have a game against either Zenit St Petersburg or a 2nd placed team from Ukraine, Holland, Romania, Portugal, Turkey, Greece, Belgium or Switzerland. Lose than then we would parachute down into the Europa league in the final qualifying round (same position as the SC winners) where we would be 1 step away from the group stages.

Finishing 2nd and losing to a team like Zenit, Benfica, Ajax or Olympiakos in the CL. would still put us in a better position to qualify for Europa group stages than finishing third would. Not to mention the prestige and financial benefits of finishing second.

cockneymike
03-02-2010, 10:25 AM
Winning the Scottish Cup will get us into the final qualifying round of the europa cup.

Finishing 2nd would get us into the third qualifying round for "best placed" teams in the CL where we would have a game against either Zenit St Petersburg or a 2nd placed team from Ukraine, Holland, Romania, Portugal, Turkey, Greece, Belgium or Switzerland. Lose than then we would parachute down into the Europa league in the final qualifying round (same position as the SC winners) where we would be 1 step away from the group stages.

Finishing 2nd and losing to a team like Zenit, Benfica, Ajax or Olympiakos in the CL. would still put us in a better position to qualify for Europa group stages than finishing third would. Not to mention the prestige and financial benefits of finishing second.

I just checked, i hadn't realised this, but you're right - both 1st and 2nd in teh spl this season, get into the final qualifying rd of the champions league next season, so if knocked out, then straight into the europa.

How on earth has our coefficient gone up to allow that to happen?

MyJo
03-02-2010, 10:55 AM
I just checked, i hadn't realised this, but you're right - both 1st and 2nd in teh spl this season, get into the final qualifying rd of the champions league next season, so if knocked out, then straight into the europa.

How on earth has our coefficient gone up to allow that to happen?

i think our coefficient has actually gone down as the winners previously got directly into the group stages IIRC and the runners up entered at the third qualifying round but there is a new qualifying system in place that means both scottish entrants enter at the same stage but have different qualifying groups for champions and non-champions.

Next season there are two "routes" in qualifying for champions and "non-champions" so the scottish champions will enter at the 3rd round playing against the champions of smaller nations who have had to play through the previous qualifying rounds and the champions from belgium and switzerland who enter at the same round. the winners from that round are then drawn against each other in another knockout stage with the 5 eventual winners progressing to the group stages.

the second "route" sees the non-champion teams from Scotland, Belgium, Russia, Switzerland, Ukraine, Holland, Greece, Turkey, Portugal and Romania enter at the 3rd qualifying stage and play a knockout round against each other with the 5 winning teams progressing to the non-champions final round where they will play against fourth placed teams from England, Spain, Italy, Germany and France. The 5 winning teams from this round progress to the group stages.

Calvin
03-02-2010, 11:06 AM

Well put and cleared up some stuff, cheers. I think I could handle a game or two against Olympiacos!

Bad Martini
03-02-2010, 11:10 AM
Only time in the last 4 years I didny put a bet on us taking 2nd and also covering with the (reality :greengrin) bet of us taking 3rd and for the first time in 4 fricking years I'll be mighty pissed off if we dont take at LEAST 3rd :greengrin

Still...thems the breaks. Could be worse, could be 14 I say FOUR TEEN points adrift, oot baith cups, well doon the league, 2 straight loses to sheite teams with a new boss, an ever increasing debt and the prospects of a toilet duck financially.

Could also be spending tens of thousands of quids on a player who isny worth it and fooling yer collective selves yer deserve a place in England's premier footballing league....hmmm.

Nah, best no tae make a big auld tit ay yerself in public like yon bawbags. Best just to stealthily sign decent players, bring back players who should never have been let go and GIRFU the lot of them.

And now, for the huns :thumbsup::thumbsup::devil:

GGTTH.

ENDOF :agree:

ScottB
03-02-2010, 11:59 AM
We are only 5 points short of last seasons total and have already won more games! Not far short of beating our goals for total either!

For me, anything that happens from here on in is a bonus. I believe we have a damn good chance of second place. Should we do it that will be a seachange event for Scottish football; beating the old firm without breaking the bank, sure the Yams did it, but they probably spent more cash than the OF did in the process! Hibs will show it is possible to compete on our own terms.

And the prospect of Champions League football should keep our best people at the club too. If we can keep this group together and continue strengthening then the skys the limit!

whiskyhibby
03-02-2010, 12:04 PM
[QUOTE=MyJo;2337054]Winning the Scottish Cup will get us into the final qualifying round of the europa cup.

Finishing 2nd and losing to a team like Zenit, Benfica, Ajax or Olympiakos in the CL. would still put us in a better position to qualify for Europa group stages than finishing third would. Not to mention the prestige and financial benefits of finishing second.[/QUOTE

as Austin Powers would say " help me Basil I've gone cross eyed"

cockneymike
03-02-2010, 01:10 PM
i think our coefficient has actually gone down as the winners previously got directly into the group stages IIRC and the runners up entered at the third qualifying round but there is a new qualifying system in place that means both scottish entrants enter at the same stage but have different qualifying groups for champions and non-champions.

Next season there are two "routes" in qualifying for champions and "non-champions" so the scottish champions will enter at the 3rd round playing against the champions of smaller nations who have had to play through the previous qualifying rounds and the champions from belgium and switzerland who enter at the same round. the winners from that round are then drawn against each other in another knockout stage with the 5 eventual winners progressing to the group stages.

the second "route" sees the non-champion teams from Scotland, Belgium, Russia, Switzerland, Ukraine, Holland, Greece, Turkey, Portugal and Romania enter at the 3rd qualifying stage and play a knockout round against each other with the 5 winning teams progressing to the non-champions final round where they will play against fourth placed teams from England, Spain, Italy, Germany and France. The 5 winning teams from this round progress to the group stages.

Once again, you're absolutely right, i misread it, our coefficient has dropped from 10th in Europe to 13th. This is really bad news. As if you win the title instead of going straight into the CL Group stages you now have to play 2 qualifiers to get there. It is much better if you finish 2nd though, as the 2nd place team in the spl the last few years has been screwed by having to play against a much higher seeded team in the first game, and having nowhere else to go, once beaten. Now spl 2nd's placed team still have to play 2 qualifiers to get into the CL groups, but if they get knocked out in either round you get the parachute into the Europa.

So finish 1st or 2nd in the league, and you get 2 euro games guaranteed - 1 cl tie, 1 europa tie; win SC/finish 3rd and OF win SC and you get 1 europa tie at least. But either way you have to qualify for either of the European leagues due to our crap coefficient.

If you're going to have seedings this is much fairer, although if our coeffience was better that would help too. Although the idea of a proper old school knockout tournament would be pretty appealing too!

MyJo
03-02-2010, 01:29 PM
Once again, you're absolutely right, i misread it, our coefficient has dropped from 10th in Europe to 13th. This is really bad news. As if you win the title instead of going straight into the CL Group stages you now have to play 2 qualifiers to get there. It is much better if you finish 2nd though, as the 2nd place team in the spl the last few years has been screwed by having to play against a much higher seeded team in the first game, and having nowhere else to go, once beaten. Now spl 2nd's placed team still have to play 2 qualifiers to get into the CL groups, but if they get knocked out in either round you get the parachute into the Europa.

So finish 1st or 2nd in the league, and you get 2 euro games guaranteed - 1 cl tie, 1 europa tie; win SC/finish 3rd and OF win SC and you get 1 europa tie at least. But either way you have to qualify for either of the European leagues due to our crap coefficient.

If you're going to have seedings this is much fairer, although if our coeffience was better that would help too. Although the idea of a proper old school knockout tournament would be pretty appealing too!

and if Hibs were to finish 2nd and somehow win our first CL qualifier we would have a showpiece european tie against a team like Liverpool, Juventus, Valencia, Shalke, or Lyon with the winners going to the CL group stages and the losers going to the Europa cup group stage. :hyper:

Andy74
03-02-2010, 02:35 PM
and if Hibs were to finish 2nd and somehow win our first CL qualifier we would have a showpiece european tie against a team like Liverpool, Juventus, Valencia, Shalke, or Lyon with the winners going to the CL group stages and the losers going to the Europa cup group stage. :hyper:

Right, let's just stop this now! :greengrin

Rory89
03-02-2010, 04:35 PM

Maybe March 13th is a bit early to be doing this, but perhaps when Rangers have the title won in the split they could lie down to us to return the favour for helicopter Sunday and help Celtic finish further behind them.

Actually forget that, they'd probably sooner lie down to Celtic. They may be rivals but they're also business associates and there's nowt worse in Rantic's eyes than a diddy threatening to ruin the comfortable arrangement they have just now.

Personally i think 3rd is as high as we'll go this season, but if the board shows some ambition this time we could seriously challenge them in the next few years. That's unless we sell all the family silver like last time, in which case we can look forward to 6th 3 years in a row again.

Dashing Bob S
03-02-2010, 04:44 PM

Any 'showpiece tie' against them will be in the Europa.

Hibernian Verse
03-02-2010, 04:45 PM
Right, let's just stop this now! :greengrin

:greengrinIt's all getting a bit too much.