PDA

View Full Version : Mowbray (merged)

Emerald
02-02-2010, 08:38 PM
Did anybody else think that Tony Mowbray looked like a lost soul sitting on that bus tonight on the news? This got me thinking that maybe he had nothing to do with this signing and he now has to put up with the pantomime that has sprung up all around him. I can't imagine for one moment he would have been thinking that he needed a striker and perhaps he could sign RK on £70k a week!!! I for one don't think he will relish this kind of euphoria when he is trying to gel a team together.

This could backfire big time if it all goes pear shaped (we can hope)!!!:greengrin

Jamesie
02-02-2010, 08:39 PM
I hope Mowbray stays til the end of the season :thumbsup:

God Petrie
02-02-2010, 08:44 PM
I don't mind Mowbray to be honest. I think he has too much honesty and integrity to manage a club like Celtic.

SidBurns
02-02-2010, 08:46 PM
I don't mind Mowbray to be honest. I think he has too much honesty and integrity to manage a club like Celtic.

He'll not be there next season anyway, £100 at the bookies says so :wink:

EasterRoad4Ever
02-02-2010, 08:48 PM
Did anybody else think that Tony Mowbray looked like a lost soul sitting on that bus tonight on the news? This got me thinking that maybe he had nothing to do with this signing and he now has to put up with the pantomime that has sprung up all around him. I can't imagine for one moment he would have been thinking that he needed a striker and perhaps he could sign RK on £70k a week!!! I for one don't think he will relish this kind of euphoria when he is trying to gel a team together.

This could backfire big time if it all goes pear shaped (we can hope)!!!:greengrin

If Keano signing doesn't bring immediate rewards, pressure will build and the GFITW will turn against him again. Must be 50/50 he'll walk or be sacked by end of season.

I'll always appreciate what Mowbray did for Hibs, so wish him no ill, but taking on the OF job is like no other. He knew what he was letting himself in for.

EasterRoad4Ever
02-02-2010, 08:49 PM
:agree::top marks

Emerald
02-02-2010, 08:51 PM
I wasnt getting at Mowbray as I have the feeling this was not his idea. Its Celtic I've got it in for.

SidBurns
02-02-2010, 08:53 PM
If Keano signing doesn't bring immediate rewards, pressure will build and the GFITW will turn against him again. Must be 50/50 he'll walk or be sacked by end of season.

I'll always appreciate what Mowbray did for Hibs, so wish him no ill, but taking on the OF job is like no other. He knew what he was letting himself in for.

Already been asked twice to resign

GordonR
02-02-2010, 08:54 PM
Already been asked twice to resign

I thought the story was that he's offered his resignation twice now, and each time the Celtic board have asked him to reconsider. No?

Frank Moon
02-02-2010, 08:56 PM
Interesting comments from Lawell today in the press saying he had been chasing Keane for a few transfer windows as he knew he was a Celtic fan.

Bit Romanov like if you ask me?

SidBurns
I thought the story was that he's offered his resignation twice now, and each time the Celtic board have asked him to reconsider. No?

My Heinz sauce says otherwise but he may have picked it up wrong...

jonty
Wouldnt be surprised if RK was the boards idea of breathing space for TM to build a team for next season.

jacomo
02-02-2010, 09:06 PM

Of course Mowbray had nothing to do with it... same as Strachan had nothing to do with Roy Keane's arrival, or Nakamura for that matter. Lawwell n Desmond control these "marquee" signings to try and leverage the Celtic brand (Jack Regan, tell me if I'm wrong).

However, Mowbray will have to play Keane, and Mowbray will get the blame if this signing isn't a stellar success. Strachan may have been a t!t at times, but he managed this aspect of his job well - one reason why the board at Celtc loved him.

Be in no doubt, if this doesn't work out Mowbray will be out on his ear.

davym7062
02-02-2010, 09:09 PM
65k a week for a spurs sub? mogga could have got about 6 decent players for that

NORTHERNHIBBY
02-02-2010, 09:18 PM
65k a week for a spurs sub? mogga could have got about 6 decent players for that

In terms of our league and what teams can hope to earn from tv and gate revenue etc, 65k a week is not sustainable so it looks like they are gambling with the money that was brought in for McDonald in a sh*t or bust strategy that means that Mowbray has to win the league. I am really surprised that they did not try to flood the smaller SPL teams with loans from their fringe players [unless there is a limit?]

Iain G
02-02-2010, 09:24 PM
What he is finding (and should have known to expect) is that there isn't the breathing space to construct his own team that he got at Hibs or West Brom, the crazy levels of expectation of the Celtic fans means that he is under immediate pressure.

This transfer window looks like desperation, how many out and how many in, they mostly look like typical Mowbray signings and will probably all do a decent job when they bed in, but brining in so many players at once mid-season while having shipped out most of the Scottish core of the squad is a big gamble. If there is no sign of improvement over the next few months then he will be looking for a new job.

God help him if he has to find a new goalkeeper :wink: :greengrin

Tony you made a mistake going to Celtic and your reputation as a good, capable, honest manager has been damaged.

EasterRoad4Ever
02-02-2010, 09:24 PM
In terms of our league and what teams can hope to earn from tv and gate revenue etc, 65k a week is not sustainable so it looks like they are gambling with the money that was brought in for McDonald in a sh*t or bust strategy that means that Mowbray has to win the league. I am really surprised that they did not try to flood the smaller SPL teams with loans from their fringe players [unless there is a limit?]

For YEARS the oF would just buy off the other SPL teams by cherry picking their better players for a few bob - thereby weakening their ability to compete. Now £2m on Keane is cheaper than trying to buy Miller, Stokes, Bamba etc :thumbsup: All due to the TASH :thumbsup:

ArabHibee
02-02-2010, 09:27 PM
http://i47.tinypic.com/sy9dzs.jpg

Hakim Sar
02-02-2010, 09:35 PM
Liked uncle tony at hibs but there was always reservations. His type of football -probably more than any other - is prone to inconsistency. Mogga has sacrificed any physical edge celtic once had.

Look at hibs v st mirren at weekend. Only 1 team trying to play the football but the terrible pitch was a leveller and favoured the physical nature of st mirren. Celtic more than most will be suspect to this.

When the going gets tough - moggas teams don't have it.

Jim44
02-02-2010, 09:37 PM
If Mowbray wasn't enjoying the job at Parkhead when they were nip and tuck with Rangers I wonder how he is feeling tonight. :faf:

Baldy Foghorn
02-02-2010, 09:40 PM

Did you think he had honesty and integrity when he jumped ship at us???

JimBHibees
02-02-2010, 09:44 PM
Didnt show much integrity with his pathetic huddle at ER earlier in the season. Keep up the good work Mogga.

Nakedmanoncrack
02-02-2010, 09:49 PM
Didnt show much integrity with his pathetic huddle at ER earlier in the season. Keep up the good work Mogga.

Exactly, F*** him, enjoying every minute of his suffering.

jdships
02-02-2010, 10:05 PM
What he is finding (and should have known to expect) is that there isn't the breathing space to construct his own team that he got at Hibs or West Brom, the crazy levels of expectation of the Celtic fans means that he is under immediate pressure.

This transfer window looks like desperation, how many out and how many in, they mostly look like typical Mowbray signings and will probably all do a decent job when they bed in, but brining in so many players at once mid-season while having shipped out most of the Scottish core of the squad is a big gamble. If there is no sign of improvement over the next few months then he will be looking for a new job.

God help him if he has to find a new goalkeeper :wink: :greengrin

Tony you made a mistake going to Celtic and your reputation as a good, capable, honest manager has been damaged.

:top marks
Think you are nearer the truth than possibly even you yourself think !!!!!!:greengrin

Most OF supporters I know have been brought up on the premise that success is guaranteed as a matter of course!
The Celtic managers job is now a "poisoned chalice" and I doubt if any "young" manager could cope with the pressure that is exerted by the supporters .

There seems ,unfortunately , to be a certain naivety about Mowbray . I believe he is a decent man and a good manager.
Ir will be interesting to see what becomes of him over the next six months

:rolleyes:

allmodcons
02-02-2010, 10:06 PM

:agree: Totally.

EasterRoad4Ever
02-02-2010, 10:08 PM
A couple more poor results and I think he'll walk or be fired. Nice chap, crazy strategy, wrong team.

Toaods
02-02-2010, 10:10 PM
last time I saw that look it was Mixu sitting on the wall next to the dug out as almost everyone was screaming for his head.

BSEJVT
02-02-2010, 10:11 PM
Whilst Mowbray deserves some credit as the catalyst for where we are now, IMO he has dined out on with sections of the Hibs support for far too long.

His decision to leave for WBA when and how he did and his subsequent behaviour since taking the Celtc Job means he deserves all he gets.

He knew what he was walking into and not only chose to but embraced it with his huddle nonsense at ER.

Reap as you sow Tony.

--------
02-02-2010, 10:14 PM
Whilst Mowbray deserves some credit as the catalyst for where we are now, IMO he has dined out on with sections of the Hibs support for far too long.

His decision to leave for WBA when and how he did and his subsequent behaviour since taking the Celtc Job means he deserves all he gets.

He knew what he was walking into and not only chose to but embraced it with his huddle nonsense at ER.

Reap as you sow Tony.

:agree::agree::agree::agree::agree:

iwasthere1972
02-02-2010, 10:16 PM

He had the same look on his face as I did when I took up an invite from my Jambo brother-in-law to travel on the Hearts bus to see them play Dundee Utd in the semi final of Scottish Cup 1974 at Hampden. :duck: Finished 0-0 and they got knocked out in the replay. :greengrin

ArabHibee
02-02-2010, 10:21 PM
If Mowbray wasn't enjoying the job at Parkhead when they were nip and tuck with Rangers I wonder how he is feeling tonight. :faf:

http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/408/aaaaat.gif

Iain G
02-02-2010, 10:35 PM
:top marks
Think you are nearer the truth than possibly even you yourself think !!!!!!:greengrin

Most OF supporters I know have been brought up on the premise that success is guaranteed as a matter of course!
The Celtic managers job is now a "poisoned chalice" and I doubt if any "young" manager could cope with the pressure that is exerted by the supporters .

There seems ,unfortunately , to be a certain naivety about Mowbray . I believe he is a decent man and a good manager.
Ir will be interesting to see what becomes of him over the next six months

:rolleyes:

I'm not sure if naive is the word, i think he is a football purist, and wants to see the game played in the right way, getting the ball down, passing and moving and attacking. It just doesn't suit the SPL, we had some lovely stuff under him at ER but we were inconsistant and didn't have that edge to grind it out that we seem to be developing under Yogi.

Celtic fans just expect their team to keep on winning, its a big rolling machine of momentum that grinds out the results, that's not how Tony likes his football to be played.

Perhaps would work in a more open league, not a recipe for success in Scotland, has worked in England for Wenger at Arsenal but even then they can be an amazing to watch brilliant team one day and then have to dig it out (or fail to!) the next...Tony doesn't seem to be able to install that grafting element into his footballing philosophy, and until he does, will not be successfull at a bigger team than the likes of us.

And as a football fan who loves to see good open attacking teams, it makes me sad that he can't get it to work...

HIBERNIALEITH
02-02-2010, 10:40 PM
Sorry I've not read all the replies on this, but did anyone else hear him say on the news yesterday that he had unfinished business?

De ja vu for me ....... what does everyone else think?:agree:

--------
02-02-2010, 10:42 PM
Sorry I've not read all the replies on this, but did anyone else hear him say on the news yesterday that he had unfinished business?

De ja vu for me ....... what does everyone else think?:agree:

I think that if Celtic play like that every week, they'll lose more than they win.... :devil:

HIBERNIALEITH
02-02-2010, 10:43 PM
I think that if Celtic play like that every week, they'll lose more than they win.... :devil:

Lets all hope so!!!!:notworthy:

bringbackjoeT!!
02-02-2010, 10:46 PM
if you look at celtics next 4 fixtures they have a tough run- Hearts (H), Aberdeen (A), Dundee Utd (H), Rangers (A) time for us to put as much pressure as possible on them:thumbsup:

dont expect us to finish above them but we could give them a real scare

Jack
02-02-2010, 10:50 PM
And as a football fan who loves to see good open attacking teams, it makes me sad that he can't get it to work...

He's the Celtc manager, I'm a Hibs supporter.
I'm delighted its not working for him.

Iain G
02-02-2010, 10:56 PM
He's the Celtc manager, I'm a Hibs supporter.
I'm delighted its not working for him.

I was talking globally!!!

Sammy7nil
03-02-2010, 12:35 AM
Tony Mowbray

Hope we do ya for 2nd but genuinely wish you all the best some great times when you were here at ER

Malthibby
03-02-2010, 12:55 AM
My erse. He lost it with the huddle. Brown as left back & the new captain?:faf::faf::faf:

matty_f
03-02-2010, 12:56 AM
My erse. He lost it with the huddle. Brown as left back & the new captain?:faf::faf::faf:

You might laugh, but without that change Celtc wouldn't have got back into the game.

Ah... right... with that change they never got back into the game. :faf::faf::faf:

MyJo
03-02-2010, 12:59 AM
Tony Mowbray

Hope we do ya for 2nd but genuinely wish you all the best some great times when you were here at ER

:agree: then he went and ruined it all by being an erse when he returned with the smellies.

****** him

seanraff07
03-02-2010, 01:04 AM
Mowbray can get to **** IMO. The huddle after the match at ER was a step too far, and also a few days before we beat Celtic, Hughes came out and backed Mowbray saying the media are being harsh on him, and says he's got us to play the way Mowbray did when playing the Old Firm away, then after he done that and we deservedly won, what credit did he give Hughes? None, selfish prick.

Hibercelona
03-02-2010, 01:04 AM
He lost all respect for me right after signing his soul away to Celtc.

I hope he's having a horrid time. :agree:

Hainan Hibs
03-02-2010, 01:09 AM
I lost all respect for him when he told us he had unfinished business here and then ****ed off to West Brom.

And I really hope you are at the wind up. Hoping a Celtic manager "does well"? I hope they get humped at every single opportunity.

Sammy7nil
03-02-2010, 01:13 AM
hope we finish 2nd

hope sellick get ****ed

hope t mowbray does well decent bloke who gave us some great times

Ibrox x 2 :greengrin

SanFranHibs
03-02-2010, 02:42 AM
Fact is, he and his staff were a big reason for the recent upturn in Hibs fortunes. Not solely responsible but a big factor.

Hibs fans should be a bit more grateful, especially since he is doing his level best this season to get Hibs into the top 2. :wink:

Maybe finish the job for us at last !!!

Latapy1911
03-02-2010, 02:58 AM
February is the month for us which will decide our season

solid games...

I keep getting that feeling of Yogi joins celtic stokes of to celtic miller back to celtic..

If we can keep the manager and our top players and sign players who can improve the squad there is no reason we cannot be champions in the next few seasons

IWasThere2016
03-02-2010, 07:08 AM
**** him :greengrin

Hibbyradge
03-02-2010, 07:13 AM
Out drinking on a school night, Sam? :greengrin

Brooster
03-02-2010, 08:02 AM
***** Mowbray, he hasn't got a clue and is dying on his feet.

Its also worth remembering we were 8th in the league when he walked out on us - we were hardly walking the walk.

Danderhall Hibs
03-02-2010, 08:25 AM
There's an amazing amount of folk on here that want Rangers to win the league by the looks of things. All because Celtic done a huddle?

IWasThere2016
03-02-2010, 08:28 AM
There's an amazing amount of folk on here that want Rangers to win the league by the looks of things. All because Celtic done a huddle?

I'm no wanting Rangers to win anything but delighted wi Mowbray flat on his coupon :agree:

Steve20
03-02-2010, 08:28 AM

Should we want Celtic to win the league?

JCHibby
03-02-2010, 08:32 AM
Your work is done, please return to base...:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Danderhall Hibs
03-02-2010, 08:32 AM
Should we want Celtic to win the league?

No. We should want Hibs to win it but lots of people want to finish 2nd.

Steve20
03-02-2010, 08:38 AM

We have no chance of catching the Huns. So, it's not a case of wanting the Huns to win the league. It's more about laughing at Celtic and trying to get 2nd place now.

Martin
03-02-2010, 08:38 AM
Not yet... a couple of more defeats then come home :agree:

joe breezy
03-02-2010, 08:40 AM
We have no chance of catching the Huns. So, it's not a case of wanting the Huns to win the league. It's more about laughing at Celtic and trying to get 2nd place now.

Rangers won't lose 9 points this season? It is unlikely we can win the league but 'no chance' is statistically wrong and people would have said the same about coming second a few weeks ago

Danderhall Hibs
03-02-2010, 08:41 AM

Very pessimistic. I think I'll stick hoping Hibs keep winning and not getting offended at the slightest thing.

Andy.1875
03-02-2010, 08:58 AM
Very pessimistic. I think I'll stick hoping Hibs keep winning and not getting offended at the slightest thing.

Agree. Hibs have to concentrate on winning their games, and not bother about what's happening to the other teams. Our game in hand over Celtic is only any good if we win it.

RIP
03-02-2010, 09:03 AM
We want a Mowbray recovery!!

For very obvious reasons that I am not going to say out loud

Nor should any of us

Shoossshhhht!!

Jack
03-02-2010, 09:13 AM
Where's base and home? Its certainly not ER!
He'll become a TV pundit because he's not pragmatic enough to run a football club of the stature he thinks he deserves.

Expecting Rain
03-02-2010, 09:52 AM
Mowbray has gone but his legacy at ER lives on in the foundations that he lay whilst serving our great club, i don`t want him to succeed at Celtic for obvious reasons, i`d rather aim my anger for what that is worth at Alex Miller and Bobby Williamson who nearly put me off football for good.

brog
03-02-2010, 09:57 AM
I have mixed feelings about Mowbray, he had us playing the best football since the Tornadoes era & the 3 goals at Parkhead/Ibrox should be shown forever as models of superb counter attacking football.
However, he signed some right huddies, he was a strange judge of a footballer & ironically most of his dodgy deals were for centre halves.
Seems he's done the same again with his new centre half, Hoofball. Watching him last night he made McManus look like Beckenbauer!!
I like seeing the OF getting beat the whole time, my only caveat is we're realistically competing against the other 9 teams & every time they get a result like last night it gives them a huge boost. Luckily Killie are too far back but I wouldn't have liked Arabs to get that result.
I honestly believe that if Yams hadn't got that crazy penalty/Caldwell red card then they would be bottom 2 right now & serious candidates for relegation, hopefully they may still be!

Bad Martini
03-02-2010, 12:37 PM

Correct.

I want Mowbray to fail for his pish, his departure, his huddle, his comments and a lot of other bawbaggery in between. BUT, I'd love even more, for those hun bassas to fail.

I want, us to take first...the huns are a megre score ahead. The tic are a megre 2 points....its been up and down like a yoyo. Keep the faith.

Far from wanting celtc to fail and acepting it means hun success (thats the old firm way of thinking), celtc to fail and the huns to fail = bring it right ***** on! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

GGTTH

Sammy7nil
03-02-2010, 12:43 PM
Out drinking on a school night, Sam? :greengrin

I was :greengrin

Red wine too :bitchy:

Still hope he does well not necessarily with sellick

IWasThere2016
03-02-2010, 12:45 PM
Whilst Mowbray deserves some credit as the catalyst for where we are now, IMO he has dined out on with sections of the Hibs support for far too long. His decision to leave for WBA when and how he did and his subsequent behaviour since taking the Celtc Job means he deserves all he gets. He knew what he was walking into and not only chose to but embraced it with his huddle nonsense at ER. Reap as you sow Tony.

Spot on ma man! :agree:

Loving Arab's Taxi too :faf:

Franck is God
03-02-2010, 01:03 PM
Tony Mowbray arrived at Hibs at the best possible moment, no expectations at all and a really good crop of very talented young players.

He signed Stewart, Boozy and Murphy who were all good players but still a slight risk and was able to pick the following team from day one.

Rubbish keeper of his own choosing

Whittaker---Caldwell---Murray---Murphy

Brown---Boozy---Stewart---Thomson

O'Connor--Riordan

I know they were still quite young at the time but they all had first team experience and just needed some organisation and guidance.

I thank him for what he did but he jumped ship when it started to get difficult, did the same at West Brom and whether the Keane signing was his idea or not he still took the job so have no sympathy for him.

RIP
03-02-2010, 02:20 PM
OK then..........

Let's think through the consequences of Mowbray getting sacked?

Anyone volunteering to talk us through what would happen next?

--------
03-02-2010, 02:35 PM

I want Hibs as high up the table as possible. Above Celtic. Above Rangers. Above everyone would be good.

That means I wish no success to Tony Mowbray or anyone else at Celtk Park, or to Walter Smith or anyone else at Ibrox.

Mowbray had us playing very nice football when he was here, but by the time he left I had been persuaded that he wasn't going to win us anything - and it didn't surprise me when he DID leave. He had his eye on Celtk then, and he had his eye on them while he was at the Hawthorns.

The ONE thing I'm inclined to thank him for - though it's much more appropriate to thank RP and STF who actually financed and built it - is East Mains.

Strange that Mowbray didn't hang around to get the use of it - especially when he had so much "unfinished business" at Hibs?

Correct.

I want Mowbray to fail for his pish, his departure, his huddle, his comments and a lot of other bawbaggery in between. BUT, I'd love even more, for those hun bassas to fail.

I want, us to take first...the huns are a megre score ahead. The tic are a megre 2 points....its been up and down like a yoyo. Keep the faith.

Far from wanting celtc to fail and acepting it means hun success (thats the old firm way of thinking), celtc to fail and the huns to fail = bring it right ***** on! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

GGTTH

THAT's what I'm saying! :agree:

Holmesdale Hibs
03-02-2010, 03:28 PM

:agree: Probably our entire first team and subs...