PDA

View Full Version : Plymouth supporters' take on Gow

DunblaneHibby
02-02-2010, 09:43 AM
"I think Gow has a part to play if we are to stay up as he does possess the skill others in our team don't.
We need WINS not draws so we need to play some creative and offensive players rather than percentage/defensive midfielders. I would not let him go and I think we may have to accept his work ethic and if not start with him at least give him 30 mins when we losing.
Its no good giving the subs 9 mins to turn a game, half the time they can't get up to speed and hardly touch the ball.

As for Patterson he is the 2nd worse player to don the Argyle shirt after Luke Summerfield"

Interesting though I don't supoose it tells us anything we didn't know.

:greengrin

RoslinInstHibby
02-02-2010, 09:44 AM
"I think Gow has a part to play if we are to stay up as he does possess the skill others in our team don't.
We need WINS not draws so we need to play some creative and offensive players rather than percentage/defensive midfielders. I would not let him go and I think we may have to accept his work ethic and if not start with him at least give him 30 mins when we losing.
Its no good giving the subs 9 mins to turn a game, half the time they can't get up to speed and hardly touch the ball.

As for Patterson he is the 2nd worse player to don the Argyle shirt after Luke Summerfield"

bad work ethic? Yogi get it sorted:greengrin

Monktonhall 7
02-02-2010, 09:49 AM
"Bad work ethic"? Maybe Deeks and Gow could do a half each.:wink:

ShanksSaidNo
02-02-2010, 10:12 AM

All joking aside this could be an issue! In games when we are carrying Deek we can put up with it as we have a midfield full of work horses. To be carrying 2 players purely on the hope that they might produce that moment of magic wont get us finishing 3rd.. or even higher!
That said I'll take the Plymouth fans opinion with a pinch of salt until ive seen him play myself!

whereswallace?
02-02-2010, 10:25 AM
All joking aside this could be an issue! In games when we are carrying Deek we can put up with it as we have a midfield full of work horses. To be carrying 2 players purely on the hope that they might produce that moment of magic wont get us finishing 3rd.. or even higher!
That said I'll take the Plymouth fans opinion with a pinch of salt until ive seen him play myself!

:agree: Kevin Mcbride anyone,when he came here a lot of people wrote him off before he'd even kicked a ball,choosing to listen to Falkirk supporters opinions.

brydekirk
02-02-2010, 10:30 AM
yogi knows him well and if he was not a grafter i dont think yogi would bother with him :agree:

maturehibby
02-02-2010, 10:31 AM
Only on loan so will have to put a shift in to please yogi and others if his value is to rise to other potential buyers

brydekirk
02-02-2010, 10:33 AM
anybody know how long he has left on his contract at PA.

truehibernian
02-02-2010, 10:37 AM
With Yogi and Rice being quite bif on sports psychology, this signing also has an off the field impact too (in our favour). The mentality in the Hibs team at present is one of "we will score more than you", much like the Celtic team of a few seasons ago. Look at how many times we have gone 1-0 down and come back to draw or win games. The best reaction I saw at the weekend was that of Bamba and Smith (and Hogg) when the own goal went in. There was anger in the stands, but on the pitch, there was composure, a wee shake of the hand from Bamba and Smith (these things happen type way), and no rattles out prams. The team knows that they can go up the pitch and score goals regardless. Having Gow just adds pressure to an opposition manager who potentially has to handle Riordan, Stokes, Nish, Benji, Zemmama, Gow, Galbraith (at various stages of the game). Yogi could also argue that our defensive record is such that we are handling things at the back quite well. If anything, I would like to see another holding midfielder added as cover from McBride, who has been integral in the recent improvement in results. Good signing and this season just gets better.

Part/Time Supporter
02-02-2010, 10:39 AM
anybody know how long he has left on his contract at PA.

end of next season

jacomo
02-02-2010, 10:39 AM
I'm not sure about Gow's workrate, but he has a languid, almost laid-back style.

He's not particularly quick though, and I do worry that Hibs have a lack of pace in attack. But he's a good addition to the squad, liked him when he was at Falkirk.

big-mo
02-02-2010, 10:59 AM
With Yogi and Rice being quite bif on sports psychology, this signing also has an off the field impact too (in our favour). The mentality in the Hibs team at present is one of "we will score more than you", much like the Celtic team of a few seasons ago. Look at how many times we have gone 1-0 down and come back to draw or win games. The best reaction I saw at the weekend was that of Bamba and Smith (and Hogg) when the own goal went in. There was anger in the stands, but on the pitch, there was composure, a wee shake of the hand from Bamba and Smith (these things happen type way), and no rattles out prams. The team knows that they can go up the pitch and score goals regardless. Having Gow just adds pressure to an opposition manager who potentially has to handle Riordan, Stokes, Nish, Benji, Zemmama, Gow, Galbraith (at various stages of the game). Yogi could also argue that our defensive record is such that we are handling things at the back quite well. If anything, I would like to see another holding midfielder added as cover from McBride, who has been integral in the recent improvement in results. Good signing and this season just gets better.

Bamba has only arrived back that morning and had never played with Smith before, I am sure that it needs more than 8 minutes to form an understanding between a defender and a keeper. But as you say, they did not let it get to them. The future is bright, the future is green.

RIP
02-02-2010, 11:01 AM
Both Liam Miller and Anthony Stokes attitude/application were under suspicion at Sunderland

Look at them now?

Deeks? - oh well there's always a special case :greengrin

Expecting Rain
02-02-2010, 11:29 AM
Well done Yogi on signing another player with intelligence and giving him the chance to reboot his career, Gow will give us great service on the left, freeing up Riordan to play behind either Stokes or Nish the latter who i don`t rate that highly as a 90 minute player but somebody who might benefit from good wing play in the box where it matters, all we need now is young McCann to come back at right back releasing Wotherspoon and again creating competition with the youngster and Zemmama for the wide right midfield spot, incidentally we will also have a stronger bench with the likes of Brown,Hanlon,Galbraith,Benji,Rankin,Cregg and Byrne playing their part.:thumbsup:

NORTHERNHIBBY
02-02-2010, 11:58 AM
Only on loan so will have to put a shift in to please yogi and others if his value is to rise to other potential buyers

Not that I will argue against Yogi as he knows what this boy can do and it could be that he brings out the best in him, but Gow went to Blackpool on loan to raise his profile and then he went to Norwich to raise his profile, so we will be the third team that he has been on loan to, so that he can raise his profile. Not sure what I would think about a player that seems to be lacking in commitment to the club that pays his wages, at a time when they are staring into the abyss of division one. That said, what he has or has not done for other teams means zip to me, and it could be that he needs to be playing a team that is not struggling. Might be a chips up rather than a chips down player and IMO we have one of them already in Zemamma.

Hank Schrader
02-02-2010, 12:06 PM
On the PASOTI forum (a source of great amusement back in the days when they realised how sh*te Bobby Williamson was) the majority of them seem sad to see him go and would liked him to have had more opportunities to show off his talent. There are a few however that are glad to see the back of him.

I am sure Yogi will get the best out of him like he did at Falkirk.

Hainan Hibs
02-02-2010, 12:10 PM

I agree, a few seasons ago when we went 1 nil down heads would go down, Jones would be screaming at every one else (never his fault), and the rest of the game would be a nightmare.

This season there is a genuine belief we will still win the match when we go 1 nil down, even at 93 minutes we don't give up.

banarc7062
02-02-2010, 12:38 PM
"Bad work ethic"? Maybe Deeks and Gow could do a half each.:wink:

Wonder if he picked that up at castle greyskull sittin in the stand:wink:

Juice-Terry
02-02-2010, 01:33 PM
He's not particularly quick though, and I do worry that Hibs have a lack of pace in attack. But he's a good addition to the squad, liked him when he was at Falkirk.

I'm quite worried about our lack of pace full stop. Anyone else worried about this?

'Mon the Cabbage!

MoantheCabbage
02-02-2010, 02:22 PM
Not that I will argue against Yogi as he knows what this boy can do and it could be that he brings out the best in him, but Gow went to Blackpool on loan to raise his profile and then he went to Norwich to raise his profile, so we will be the third team that he has been on loan to, so that he can raise his profile. Not sure what I would think about a player that seems to be lacking in commitment to the club that pays his wages, at a time when they are staring into the abyss of division one. That said, what he has or has not done for other teams means zip to me, and it could be that he needs to be playing a team that is not struggling. Might be a chips up rather than a chips down player and IMO we have one of them already in Zemamma.

He went on loan to Blackpool and done really well which attracted the attention of Wolves who wanted to sign him for 2m. He went to Molineux and failed the medical then went on to Norwich and couldnt get teh momentum back due to recovering from the injury.

Im am dissapointed we didnt actually sign Gow on a permanent deal but Ill take him as its stands as he offers more in creativity that others possibly can. I would presume he is a replacement form Rankin and play behind the front 2 in that little hole rather than letting Deeks move up front

blackpoolhibs
02-02-2010, 04:07 PM
He went on loan to Blackpool and done really well which attracted the attention of Wolves who wanted to sign him for 2m. He went to Molineux and failed the medical then went on to Norwich and couldnt get teh momentum back due to recovering from the injury.

Im am dissapointed we didnt actually sign Gow on a permanent deal but Ill take him as its stands as he offers more in creativity that others possibly can. I would presume he is a replacement form Rankin and play behind the front 2 in that little hole rather than letting Deeks move up front

I'd say he would replace Nish, I dont see Gow doing the work Rankin does? Or even playing up front in a two with Stokes. I dont see him playing wide left, although i could be wrong.

Glasgow Hibee
02-02-2010, 04:20 PM
I'm quite worried about our lack of pace full stop. Anyone else worried about this?

'Mon the Cabbage!

Yes, have been thinking this for a while. Up front where it can do the most damage we are quite one paced (not that it seems to have stopped us scoring :greengrin). Nish in particular never seems to get past a canter.

I'm hoping Galbraith has pace but have yet to see him.

Dashing Bob S
02-02-2010, 06:04 PM
It hasn't worked for Gow since he left Falkirk and he has a lot to prove in terms of fitness and attitude. He seems smart enough to know that if there's one man who can sort out his head and put his career back on line, it's Yogi, as we've seen with Stokesy and Miller.

There's obviously a good regime at ER and word travels fast in the football world. I can see big offers coming in for Yogi next season.

Broken Gnome
02-02-2010, 06:09 PM
I'd say he would replace Nish, I dont see Gow doing the work Rankin does? Or even playing up front in a two with Stokes. I dont see him playing wide left, although i could be wrong.

That's the one. No offence to Nish, but we all know he won't ever show the form that makes him a first pick week-in-week-out, and Gow would bring a bit more, ahem, subtlety to that role.