PDA

View Full Version : Now the dust has settled....

CallumLaidlaw
02-02-2010, 08:55 AM
and the window has closed, are we happy with our squad, and how other teams have shaped up?

GK
Smith
Brown
Stack
Maka
Flynn

DF
Murray
Hogg
Bamba
Wotherspoon
Hanlon
Thicot
Stevenson
McCann
McCormack
Currie

MF
Miller
McBride
Rankin
Zemmama
Galbraith
Cregg
Welsh

FW
Stokes
Riordan
Nish
Benji
Byrne
Gow

I think thats a good squad, that is capable of covering for the first 11 during injuries and suspension.

Rangers brought in no-one and sold Mendes, so are slightly weaker, but will be glad they kept Bougherra and Boyd

Celtic brought in 8 players, most notably Keane and Kamara, and sold 10. Will the big changes mean they struggle to settle this season tho?

Dundee Utd lost weaver and brought in Pernis. No huge changes.

Hearts sold Husband, and brought in Stevenson from Ayr, with Barr signing at the seaon end. Still desperately missing a goalscorer.

Motherwell, McGlinchey in, McGarry out, so no big changes

Aberdeen brought in McLean & Jim Paterson, while out went Lee Miller, Macguire, and Mo Ross. Probably the same or even slightly weaker.

Killie had no outgoings, most importantly keeping Kyle, and brought in Macguire, Severin, and Keirnan from Watford. Definitely stronger for them.

Hamilton brought back Brian Easton, as well as Stuart Elliott, Dougie Imrie, Joel Thomas and Van Zanten, while Andrews, Boozy, Knight and Welsh went out. I think they are definitely stronger.

St.Johnstone brought in Mark Connolly from Bolton and Sheridan from Celtic, while Andy Jackson and JJ went out, keeping them the same or even slightly stronger.

St. Mirren brought in loans from the old firm in the shape of Rory Loy and Graham Carey, while out went Mo Camara, Stephen McGinn, Kenny McLean, Paul Quinn and Dennis Wyness. Probably not much change.

And Falkirk brought in Colin Healy and Enoch Showumni, as well as Jack Compton from the mighty Weston-Super Mare. Out went Allison and Mitchell to lower league clubs and Toufik Zerara who was only there a month, so they are probably a bit stronger.

It looks like barring Celtic, it has mainly been the bottom 6 that have been strengthened, so will continue to keep that very competitive, while I think we stay in a very strong position. :thumbsup:

Thoughts?

Hibbyradge
02-02-2010, 09:00 AM
I don't know much about a lot of those players, so I can't determine if they have strengthened their new teams or not.

We, however, have definitely strengthened with minimum disruption.

Alan Gow - the new Pat McGinlay. :thumbsup:

PatHead
02-02-2010, 10:40 AM
Before the window we all wanted a goalie, centre back and a right back. A lot of this was on the assumption Bamba was on his way out.

We have signed 2 decent goalies who should be worth a good few points over the season. Held on to Bamba with Hanlon coming on leaps and bounds.

Still didn't get a RB but McCann is on his way back (again)

In addition we have signed Gow and not lost anyone.

The only possible downsides are missing out on Barr and Russell Anderson looking forward to next season. However I would rather pay Ian Murray the wages these guys were looking for so hopefully Yogi will sign him up soon.

All in all an excellent window

ShanksSaidNo
02-02-2010, 10:42 AM
Yeah would say your spot on with each club there. For me for by celtic - the teams that have strengthened are Killie (they really had to, if they go down they're in the deep brown stuff) and St ohnstone - bringing in Sheridan is a good bit of business, lost his way a bit after a promising start at Celtic, but ive always liked the look of him. St J are a good team that try and play football,so think he'll do well for them. Bang in a few goals as Deuchar isnt good enough.

Looking at our squad on first inspection we look top heavy goalie wise at the moment, but Maka will leave in the summer and Flynn just doesnt look good enough. Wont make it near the first team, will either go out on loan or back down the divisions. We're then left with 3 top goalies to battle it out for that number 1 jersey. For me it'll be Smith for the forseeable future.

At first glance we look a bit light in midfielders, however when you consider Murray can come in and do a job at either LM or CM along with Bamba being capable of moving into the middle, i think we've got plenty cover there and its as strong a midfield ive seen for years.

Up top we now have an incredible amount of options. I can see benji being edged out leaving us to pick from Stokes, Deek, Nish, Gow et all! Not a bad headache to have!

Joe Baker II
02-02-2010, 11:27 AM
Think St Mirren may be team who is weaker, plus possibly Celtic although depends how new players fit in. Keeping Kyle should keep Killie up (not a tongued wister with k's intended!) and Severin will do well for them.

We look stronger, do we really need 5 goal keepers though?

jakedance
02-02-2010, 11:43 AM
A good window for us. After years of huddies we've finally got the goalkeeping position covered.

A right back or centre half would have been good but I'll trust in Yogi that he won't settle for anything less than the quality he's signed in other positions. McCann coming back will be like a new signing.

Gow could turn out to be a quality signing and if he doesn't we still have enough talent in the areas he would play. Hearts on the other hand NEED this boy from Ayr to produce the goods and still don't have a striker. Dundee United and Aberdeen haven't done much to suggest they'll improve.

I'm optimistic we'll take 3rd now and hope to see us lift the Holy Grail.

Hibs On Tour
02-02-2010, 11:45 AM
Definitely good business for us, Hamilton and Killie. Celtic - time will tell and it will probably be TM's job hanging on whether they pan out good or not for them. Rest are much of a muchness as to where they were before IMO.

We're keeper-heavy but realistically one will be away at season's end to leave 4 competing, of which Flynn may go out on loan. Gow is a good addition - Yogi is correctly building a squad rather than an 11-man team, as that is what is required to sustain anything over a full season. Another player of proven quality who has a point to prove and Yogi has experience with them. Not a large gamble there IMO. Ditto for Stokes. Far happier with not taking Barr and Anderson - don't particularly rate either and would rather see IM resigned.

Will be more ins and outs in the summer as Yogi has already said this is a work in progress but very happy with things thus far from the big man! :agree:

brythehibby
02-02-2010, 11:48 AM
I was just quite happy we never lost anyone for a change! Getting gow was a bonus. Usually every window someone is leaving!! I believe we have the best squad outwith the OF and can kick on from here to may.

sahib
02-02-2010, 05:31 PM
Any way I look at it I can't see how having four goalies is a good use of resources. Even if this goes down to three, with Maka's contract not being renewed, I don't see three with first team experience being needed. There isn't even a reserve team to worry about. What is the point? We finished third and won a trophy, with really quite poor keepers, not long ago. :dunno:

EasterRoad4Ever
02-02-2010, 05:37 PM
and the window has closed, are we happy with our squad, and how other teams have shaped up?

GK
Smith
Brown
Stack
Maka
Flynn

DF
Murray
Hogg
Bamba
Wotherspoon
Hanlon
Thicot
Stevenson
McCann
McCormack
Currie

MF
Miller
McBride
Rankin
Zemmama
Galbraith
Cregg
Welsh

FW
Stokes
Riordan
Nish
Benji
Byrne
Gow

I think thats a good squad, that is capable of covering for the first 11 during injuries and suspension.

Rangers brought in no-one and sold Mendes, so are slightly weaker, but will be glad they kept Bougherra and Boyd

Celtic brought in 8 players, most notably Keane and Kamara, and sold 10. Will the big changes mean they struggle to settle this season tho?

Dundee Utd lost weaver and brought in Pernis. No huge changes.

Hearts sold Husband, and brought in Stevenson from Ayr, with Barr signing at the seaon end. Still desperately missing a goalscorer.

Motherwell, McGlinchey in, McGarry out, so no big changes

Aberdeen brought in McLean & Jim Paterson, while out went Lee Miller, Macguire, and Mo Ross. Probably the same or even slightly weaker.

Killie had no outgoings, most importantly keeping Kyle, and brought in Macguire, Severin, and Keirnan from Watford. Definitely stronger for them.

Hamilton brought back Brian Easton, as well as Stuart Elliott, Dougie Imrie, Joel Thomas and Van Zanten, while Andrews, Boozy, Knight and Welsh went out. I think they are definitely stronger.

St.Johnstone brought in Mark Connolly from Bolton and Sheridan from Celtic, while Andy Jackson and JJ went out, keeping them the same or even slightly stronger.

St. Mirren brought in loans from the old firm in the shape of Rory Loy and Graham Carey, while out went Mo Camara, Stephen McGinn, Kenny McLean, Paul Quinn and Dennis Wyness. Probably not much change.

And Falkirk brought in Colin Healy and Enoch Showumni, as well as Jack Compton from the mighty Weston-Super Mare. Out went Allison and Mitchell to lower league clubs and Toufik Zerara who was only there a month, so they are probably a bit stronger.

It looks like barring Celtic, it has mainly been the bottom 6 that have been strengthened, so will continue to keep that very competitive, while I think we stay in a very strong position. :thumbsup:

Thoughts?

My main thought is that the quality of the players that Yogi is bringing in, and he regards as good enough for Hibs, is excellent and higher than Mixu and Collins. Stokes, Gow, Miller, Brown are all real quality and have improved the squad greatly.

ancienthibby
02-02-2010, 05:38 PM
I don't know much about a lot of those players, so I can't determine if they have strengthened their new teams or not.

We, however, have definitely strengthened with minimum disruption.

Alan Gow - the new Pat McGinlay. :thumbsup:

Now that would be most welcome!!

I still think the whole midfield is still short of enough options, but this is still another cog in the rebuilding process!!