PDA

View Full Version : Don't we need midfielders and defenders?

maximushibee
01-02-2010, 09:15 PM
First and foremost i think gow is a great signing cleary talented footballer but........

I really think we have enough quality up front really need to concentrate on signing midfielders.. Liam miller and Kevin Mcbride get injured i am afraid to say we just dont have enough quality midfielders to cover for the loss of probably ther best centre mids in the spl ATM.. same goes for defence aswell we really need a right back.. IMO wotherspoon is more of winger abit like whittaker.. Hogg and bamba two good players for us but can have real hands over eyes moment..

i just dont see enough quality if any of back four or midfielders get injured..

thoughts??:blah::blah::blah::wink:

PaulSmith
01-02-2010, 09:18 PM
Quite simply we cannot have enough quality anywhere, the moment you think your there is the moment it'll fall apart. Quality players all over the park, same as goalkeeping situation.
Just in case you didn't notice the defence has being doing rather well this season as well...:)

Castle Hibs
01-02-2010, 09:19 PM
I agree we need a right back and some cover for midfield but Yogi seems to be building a squad of players that he actually really wants and not just signing players because they are available. It will take time but the squad is starting to look really good. Another few signings in the summer and we should be in good shape for next season.

maximushibee
01-02-2010, 09:21 PM
Quite simply we cannot have enough quality anywhere, the moment you think your there is the moment it'll fall apart. Quality players all over the park, same as goalkeeping situation.
Just in case you didn't notice the defence has being doing rather well this season as well...:)

totally aggree the defence has done rather well 2nd or 3rd best in the spl i think but look at the goals that could have been avoided just think we need some cover thats all

HibeeDaz6270
01-02-2010, 09:25 PM
I think Gow is an excellent addition. He is a versatile player who i believe can play upfront, left mid, right mid and also centre midfield. Its great to have a player come in who can do a job in all these positions. I am sure the competition can only be good, and get the best out of our players. I too would have liked us to have brought in a right back, but i suppose wotherspoon will continue to develp, we also have Kevin Mccann and darren mccormack as cover. At left back we have Ian Murray, Paul Hanlon, Lewis Stevenson. And centre Half we have Bamba, Hogg hanlon, murray. Darren Barr, would have been an ideal signing, as he would be another player who can play centre half and right back, its a pity he is deluded and put money first.

Silver Fox
01-02-2010, 09:26 PM
totally aggree the defence has done rather well 2nd or 3rd best in the spl i think but look at the goals that could have been avoided just think we need some cover thats all

I think your right but.........

Rome wasn't built in a day. :agree: :thumbsup:

Hibbyradge
01-02-2010, 09:28 PM
You can only sign who you can sign. :agree:

MountcastleHibs
01-02-2010, 09:29 PM
I think Alan Gow is a quality signing. I'd rather have him playing than Rankin or Nish :wink:

For the first time in years, it appears we have some strength in depth. We've got a great starting eleven with players on the bench who are more than capable of coming in and doing a fantastic job.

Well done Yogi, Rodders et al :thumbsup:

Hainan Hibs
01-02-2010, 09:29 PM
Yogi's hitting us with a retro style 2-3-5 formation.

rossi
01-02-2010, 09:41 PM
I think Alan Gow is a quality signing. I'd rather have him playing than Rankin or Nish :wink:

Shame people can't be pleased about a good signing without having a wee snipe at the scapegoats.

thefamousfive
01-02-2010, 09:45 PM
As long as we score more than our opponents. Always prefered building from the front - its the hibs way

Mibbes Aye
01-02-2010, 09:50 PM

:agree: Truth in that.

Would also venture that despite our perception of attacking riches, and despite the desire of many to see our defence strengthened, it's been the back four or five that has led the way. The defence has outperformed the front and middle in recent seasons according to the stats and if anything, we should maybe be questioning why our offensive potential isn't being realised to the proper degree.

Stokes and Riordan are scoring and that's good but TBH Stokes is capable of a 30+ season in Scotland and Deek likewise. IIRC Nish has a track record of scoring 1 in 3 at Killie which he hasn't yet replicated at Hibs. It's a team game and every position always needs strengthened but there's got to be some addressing of why we're not scoring as often as we should.

Speedy
01-02-2010, 10:06 PM

:agree:

It's good to see us signing quality when it's available rather than signing crap because it's available.

Hopefully McCann comes back and does well.

500miles
01-02-2010, 10:09 PM

For the first time in years, it appears we have some strength in depth. We've got a great starting eleven with players on the bench who are more than capable of coming in and doing a fantastic job.

Well done Yogi, Rodders et al :thumbsup:

I'm not convinced he's here to take the spot of either of those players.....

maximushibee
01-02-2010, 10:22 PM
Only time will tell.. Its great having all these quality players at our disposal. its good to terrify other defences like we did back in the day.. just hope everyone else is up for the task ahead.. looking forward to commin seasons..

Arfield would be an ideal signin possible last peice of the jigsaw puzzle?

MountcastleHibs
01-02-2010, 10:49 PM
Shame people can't be pleased about a good signing without having a wee snipe at the scapegoats.

I'm not having a go.. I actually like both players. I was being sarcastic, hence the :wink:

But if we're being honest, those are the weaker players in our starting line up, and therefore, for me, it has to be one of those players that drops out of the team.

Criswell
02-02-2010, 12:47 AM
:agree: Truth in that.

Would also venture that despite our perception of attacking riches, and despite the desire of many to see our defence strengthened, it's been the back four or five that has led the way. The defence has outperformed the front and middle in recent seasons according to the stats and if anything, we should maybe be questioning why our offensive potential isn't being realised to the proper degree.

Stokes and Riordan are scoring and that's good but TBH Stokes is capable of a 30+ season in Scotland and Deek likewise. IIRC Nish has a track record of scoring 1 in 3 at Killie which he hasn't yet replicated at Hibs. It's a team game and every position always needs strengthened but there's got to be some addressing of why we're not scoring as often as we should.

The reasons why we are not scoring more goals despite playing such attacking formations is to me pretty obvious. The balance of the team is not right. We play the luxury of 3 sometimes 4 up front! There is often a distinct lack of team play between them. (Stokes, Riordan and Benji are all guilty of being too individualistic)

The midfield is undermanned, lightweight and lacking in creativity (Miller excepted) How they are supposed to supply the ammunition to the front men whilst being totally overrun is beyond me.