PDA

View Full Version : Question Is the evening news guilty of lazy second hand journalism?

Hakim Sar
01-02-2010, 12:28 PM
..... because I see commentary that is literally plucked of hibs.net fairly regularly. Most recently, for example, I posted a thread asking if kevin mcbride was 'the glue that held hibs together' with the overwhelming response being a yes. Now the evening news star man has called him the same. It's not the time iv read hibs.net opinions and themes being used - like when hibs were linked with jim gannon and it was a direct copy from one of our threads that came first.

Or are we all such a well respected brainy bunch that we are often right and it's actually a compliment that they agree with us?

Twa Cairpets
01-02-2010, 12:35 PM
..... because I see commentary that is literally plucked of hibs.net fairly regularly. Most recently, for example, I posted a thread asking if kevin mcbride was 'the glue that held hibs together' with the overwhelming response being a yes. Now the evening news star man has called him the same. It's not the time iv read hibs.net opinions and themes being used - like when hibs were linked with jim gannon and it was a direct copy from one of our threads that came first.

Or are we all such a well respected brainy bunch that we are often right and it's actually a compliment that they agree with us?

I know he reports on happenings over the road, but any paper that employs the complete and utter fud that is Barry Anderson is guilty of anything you care to level at them. A more up-his-own-arse unpleasant piece of keech it would be difficult to meet.

The_Todd
01-02-2010, 01:09 PM
I know he reports on happenings over the road, but any paper that employs the complete and utter fud that is Barry Anderson is guilty of anything you care to level at them. A more up-his-own-arse unpleasant piece of keech it would be difficult to meet.

http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/v225/198/111/n1171024204_5253.jpg

He just looks like a Jambo

Littlest Hobo
01-02-2010, 01:22 PM
Stopped buying this paper about two year ago. It's full of absolute pish most of the time. It never seems to get to the bottom of a story mostly because it would rather tell it from their angle. Bugger the truth! This isn't just in the sports section either, I'm talking about every part of the stinking rag here. So, I decided to take the best action I could and not buy the ****in thing anymore!:devil:

bingo70
01-02-2010, 01:37 PM
Stopped buying this paper about two year ago. It's full of absolute pish most of the time. It never seems to get to the bottom of a story mostly because it would rather tell it from their angle. Bugger the truth! This isn't just in the sports section either, I'm talking about every part of the stinking rag here. So, I decided to take the best action I could and not buy the ****in thing anymore!:devil:

In fairness to the football journalists though, they're being forced to find 2 hibs/hearts stories a day and there's never enough happening to justify that which means your going to get a lot of the same old stories being repeated with a lot of cliches, it also means they've got to be carefull with what they say as they're not going to be welcomed back to the club the next day if they're overly critical one day.

Hakim Sar
01-02-2010, 02:12 PM
yeah understandable - hearts could fill 3 tabloids with all their sordid details but hibs have no daily controversy.

All journalism just seems speculative crass

Jack
01-02-2010, 02:53 PM
The days of newspapers actually writing most of what they print have long gone. I used to work for an organisation that pumped out press releases – they were reproduced almost word for word – including spelling mistakes!

If you look at the ‘stories’ on the Hibs website the news stories are almost all identical.

If you look at the News Now site (http://www.newsnow.co.uk/h/Sport/Football/SPL/Hibernian)read one story on a subject and you’ve basically read them all. Gone are the days when you read a few papers to get a different take on the game / story.

Its sad, but the media will say they no longer have the resources to write their own stuff. Well if that the case its neither wonder, with increasing prices, the public can no longer be bothered to buy.

We have a classic case over the road that is crying out for a decent bit of investigative journalism, yet there's nothing in either the local or the supposedly national press, not a damn thing.

ZippytheHibee
01-02-2010, 05:25 PM
Stopped reading the paper years ago as I find it a joke.

There are too many ***** that comment on website too.

the_ginger_hibee
01-02-2010, 05:34 PM

Probably more a case of over used sports clichés, but you defiantly have a point in regard to the media spying on fans forums for story's.

Dashing Bob S
01-02-2010, 05:36 PM
The thread title assumes that the EEN was at one time a bastion of original, vibrant sports writing. The truth is, it's always been rubbish, but like many newspapers, has basically been superceded by the net. I think they only employ a few graduates to trawl the net these days.

Removed
01-02-2010, 06:07 PM
David Hardie is a regular at our games - he writes in shorthand so I can't comment whether what's on his pad is what's in the EEN, but IMO he's in a different league than Anderson :greengrin

Anyone know his user name on here :wink:

Hakim Sar
01-02-2010, 06:43 PM
Tbh I just like gibby the hibby and grant stotts page - basically it's cos it's opiniated column writing and does have to be overly factual.

Grant normally kens what he is talking about and has a good understanding of the ups and downs of being a hibby

Gary mackay on the other hand....

I must get started on that I hate Gary mackay thread