PDA

View Full Version : Full team against Montrose?

Hibbyradge
31-01-2010, 04:07 PM
I'm hoping Yogi starts with his strongest team on Saturday with the view of securing the game early on then giving a few players a rest before the Aberdeen game on the Wednesday.

Aberdeen are away to Raith Rovers on Saturdayand while they're obviously favourites, it could be a tough game and we may be able to capitalise on that too.

Yogi might be tempted to give a few fringe players their chance, like Cregg, Galbraith, Benji and Stevenson, but I'd prefer the tried and trusted approach.

I also hope he makes sure the player's mental approach is better than it appeared to be against Irvine Meadow.

Woody1985
31-01-2010, 04:09 PM
I'm hoping Yogi starts with his strongest team on Saturday with the view of securing the game early on then giving a few players a rest before the Aberdeen game on the Wednesday.

Aberdeen are away to Raith Rovers on Saturdayand while they're obviously favourites, it could be a tough game and we may be able to capitalise on that too.

Yogi might be tempted to give a few fringe players their chance, like Cregg, Galbraith, Benji and Stevenson, but I'd prefer the tried and trusted approach.

I also hope he makes sure the player's mental approach is better than it appeared to be against Irvine Meadow.

:agree:

We need a full team and no complacency. We've got a serious chance this year and can't afford to blow it.

blackpoolhibs
31-01-2010, 04:12 PM
I'd like to see a couple of fringe players play. Id like to see Galbraith play, and i'd like Hanlon in at centre half. Give Bamba a rest, have him on the bench though, and let Stokes have a rest too. We should still have way too much for Montrose, and it gives two players a start they hopefully will learn from.

Pretty Boy
31-01-2010, 04:18 PM
I'd make a few changes but nothing too dangerous that might cost us.
Personally i'd like to see:

......................Brown....................... ...

McCann........Hogg...........Hanlon.....Murray..

......................McBride..................... .

.......Cregg......................Rankin........

Zemmama....................................Galbrai th

........................Benji..................... .

Subs
Smith
Bamba
Miller
Riordan
Stokes

Should easily be enough to see off Montrose but leaves option on the bench should they be needed. Also gives guys like Nish, Miller, Riordan and Stokes a chance to recharge the batteries. Give Brown a run out in goals but bring Smith back in for Aberdeen.

Capt Mainwaring
31-01-2010, 04:22 PM
In Yogi we trust.

Personally I'd give Riordan a rest for Galbraith but keep the team much as it's been over the last few weeks.

If we can get a comfortable lead, then bring on all 3 subs - in particular Brown, Benji and Zemmama

Gatecrasher
31-01-2010, 04:40 PM

Subs
Smith
Bamba
Miller
Riordan
Stokes

Should easily be enough to see off Montrose but leaves option on the bench should they be needed. Also gives guys like Nish, Miller, Riordan and Stokes a chance to recharge the batteries. Give Brown a run out in goals but bring Smith back in for Aberdeen.

i would have Byrne ahead of Benji

Pretty Boy
31-01-2010, 04:42 PM

TBH it was a to55 up between the pair, i wouldn't complain whoever got the start.

spudhib
31-01-2010, 05:16 PM
Think Benji deserves a start after a good subs performance yesterday.

mike1875
31-01-2010, 05:30 PM
is bryne out on loan, i have not noticed him in the squad for a while:confused:

seanraff07
31-01-2010, 05:42 PM
is bryne out on loan, i have not noticed him in the squad for a while:confused:

Nah i dont think so, i think he just can't get in it, although i can't see why not after Riordan's performance yesterday, although i've never backed the idea of Riordan playing left mid, im thinking Byrne is left-footed, could he not play left mid allowing Riordan to play upfront?:confused:

fife hfc
31-01-2010, 05:50 PM
I would rest wotherspoon and give McCann a run, hanlon for bamba, Galbraith for Deek and Benji for Stokes. They have all played alot of football recently and could do with a break.

seanraff07
31-01-2010, 05:51 PM
I would rest wotherspoon and give McCann a run, hanlon for bamba, Galbraith for Deek and Benji for Stokes. They have all played alot of football recently and could do with a break.

Havent been keeping up to date much with how McCann's fitness has been recently, is he definitely fully fit now?
Cause i dont think he's been on the bench, or has he?:rolleyes:

Hainan Hibs
31-01-2010, 05:55 PM
It's Hibs and the Scottish Cup. Full team please. No messing about, lets get the job done.

greenlex
31-01-2010, 05:56 PM
It's Hibs and the Scottish Cup. Full team please. No messing about, lets get the job done.
:agree: Luckily I think John Hughes is of the same mind.

zlatan
31-01-2010, 06:05 PM
After the Irvine Meadow game I'd be giving guys like Galbraith and Byrne a chance, at least they'll have some sort of incentive to bother putting a shift in.

We'll win the game comfortably no matter what team we put out so it will do no harm to give guys like Stokes and Miller a wee rest for Aberdeen a few days later.

down-the-slope
31-01-2010, 06:12 PM
After the Irvine Meadow game I'd be giving guys like Galbraith and Byrne a chance, at least they'll have some sort of incentive to bother putting a shift in.

We'll win the game comfortably no matter what team we put out so it will do no harm to give guys like Stokes and Miller a wee rest for Aberdeen a few days later.

Cue 90 mins of squeaky bum action :boo hoo:

zlatan
31-01-2010, 06:21 PM
Cue 90 mins of squeaky bum action :boo hoo:

Nah, we beat Brechin without leaving 1st gear and Irvine Meadow despite losing our car keys, it'll probably be highly frustrating but we'll still go through comfortably.

Hibbyradge
31-01-2010, 06:27 PM
We'll win the game comfortably no matter what team we put out

Sorry, but I sincerely hope that you're the only person associated with Hibs who feel like that.

Over the years, I've seen us knocked out of cups by Montrose, Arbroath, Queen of the South, Stirling Albion, Ayr United and more recently, Morton, all because we adopted that exact attitude.

Another shocker in the Scottish Cup, which people seem to forget (understandably) when we think about our various disasters, was against East Fife in 1984.

Hibs were drawn at home to the second division club and were massive favourites. A piece of cake, just like you feel about Saturday coming!!

We drew 0 - 0 and went through to Methil, fully expecting to make amends.

We duly lost that evening 2 - 0. I remember the Tartan Special in the Methil boozer before the game was the only good thing about the evening. (It really was a cracking pint, though. :agree: )

To give this even more horrific perspective to this tale, Celtic beat them 6 - 0 in the next round.

Finally, my pals dad takes great pleasure in telling me that Hibs only needed to turn up to win the Scottish Cup Final against Clyde in 1959. Nuff said.

If Yogi detects the slightest bit of complacency this week, he should stamp on it immediately.

Maybe a few "definite starts" could be dropped to the bench if that was the case, but full team otherwse.

ALF TUPPER
31-01-2010, 06:33 PM
Must play all the big guns against Montrose. They have a few who will want to stick it right up us.

No Quarter !! :agree:

I cant wait .......... and i'll be there the full 94 minutes ! :notworthy:

Glory Glory

sam armstrong
31-01-2010, 06:34 PM
I'd like to see a couple of fringe players play. Id like to see Galbraith play, and i'd like Hanlon in at centre half. Give Bamba a rest, have him on the bench though, and let Stokes have a rest too. We should still have way too much for Montrose, and it gives two players a start they hopefully will learn from.

Do you really need a list of so called lesser teams who have dumped Hibs out of both the league cup and the Scottish Cup. Full team please and better attitude than Meadow game.

sam armstrong
31-01-2010, 06:37 PM
Sorry, but I sincerely hope that you're the only person associated with Hibs who feel like that.

Over the years, I've seen us knocked out of cups by Montrose, Arbroath, Queen of the South, Stirling Albion, Ayr United and more recently, Morton, all because we adopted that exact attitude.

Another shocker in the Scottish Cup, which people seem to forget (understandably) when we think about our various disasters, was against East Fife in 1984.

Hibs were drawn at home to the second division club and were massive favourites. A piece of cake, just like you feel about Saturday coming!!

We duly lost that evening 2 - 0. I remember the Tartan Special in the Methil boozer before the game was the only good thing about the evening. (It really was a cracking pint, though. :agree: )

To give this even more horrific perspective to this tale, Celtic beat them 6 - 0 in the next round.

Finally, my pals dad takes great pleasure in telling me that Hibs only needed to turn up to win the Scottish Cup Final against Clyde in 1959. Nuff said.

If Yogi detects the slightest bit of complacency this week, he should stamp on it immediately.

Maybe a few "definite starts" could be dropped to the bench if that was the case, but full team otherwse.

Add Meadowbank Thistle and Clydebank to the list. I am sure there are more.

IWasThere2016
31-01-2010, 06:40 PM
It'll be the full side IMHO

CropleyWasGod
31-01-2010, 06:48 PM

A.Pedant writes.... it was actually 58. I was born just a few weeks earlier, and I was supposed to be the lucky charm that cured the "56 long years" hoodoo. Off the family trooped to Hampden, convinced as ever...

When they got home, I was duly shut up in the attic.

56 years? Ha!!!

A.Pedant, from the attic.

CropleyWasGod
31-01-2010, 06:49 PM
Nah, we beat Brechin without leaving 1st gear and Irvine Meadow despite losing our car keys, it'll probably be highly frustrating but we'll still go through comfortably.

Dear oh dear :bitchy:

zlatan
31-01-2010, 07:08 PM

I understand that. I've seen a fair few cup shockers myself over the years and it's cute the way people said the same things in the build up to the Irvine Meadow match, we're overwhelming favourites in a tournament we're as well not enterting every year so everyone is cautious.

But, Scottish football is guff right now, really guff. Upsets are so rare in the cup nowadays, you could probably count on 2 hands the amount of SPL teams that have lost to first division opposition or lower in the past 10 years in the Scottish Cup, the gulf in class is to vast.

I'm as pessimistic as it gets on this place, I very rarely predict, or expect, Hibs to win nearly every week but with games like this it's not over confidence or anything like that, it's just common sense. Guys like Cregg, Galbraith, Byrne, Benji, McCormack, McCann and Hanlon could all start on Saturday and we would win by 2 or 3 goals.

I'm a fan not a player and only I'm allowed to think like that :greengrin but with the Irvine Meadow match far to many of them did think like I did which caused us some problems but even if Irvine did take the lead or nab a goal at some point it really wouldn't of taken much for us to raise our game and get back on track, and Saturday will be no different.

AFKA5814_Hibs
31-01-2010, 07:08 PM
Hughes wasn't happy with the performance against Irvine Meadow and will want more from the same players, so expect a full team. Go for it from the off and hopefully have the game out of sight by half time THEN we can give some of the fringe players a run out.

down-the-slope
31-01-2010, 07:18 PM
Can I just mention one word PITCH :rolleyes:

brydekirk
31-01-2010, 07:36 PM

good idea, dont think benji will be here much longer anyway.

heretoday
31-01-2010, 07:40 PM
Full team definitely. Who do you think we are? Man Utd?

Penrith Hibee
31-01-2010, 07:56 PM
Yes. Full team. We would struggle with any less than 11.

Prof. Shaggy
31-01-2010, 08:03 PM
Yes. Full team. We would struggle with any less than 11.

Did you hear the one about Riordan playing the Hertz on his own?

erin go bragh
31-01-2010, 08:12 PM

Subs
Smith
Bamba
Miller
Riordan
Stokes

hope we dont start with that team mate, montrose might be bottom of the bottom league but they got their first win at the weekend[away at berwick] they will be well fired up for the game and i hope yogi puts out our strongest starting 11[fair enough if we score a few ,make some changes :wink:

MyJo
31-01-2010, 08:25 PM
___________________Smith

McCormack_____Hogg_____Hanlon_____Murray

__________________McBride

Wotherspoon________Miller__________Galbraith

_____________Nish
_________________________Stokes

Sir David Gray
31-01-2010, 10:29 PM
Hughes will play his strongest available team as he always gives total respect to any opposition that he comes up against.

I have to be honest here and say that I fully expect to see a few goals next week for Hibs and I don't expect the Hibs goalkeeper (whoever that may be) to have too much to do. I also think it will be more one-sided than the Irvine Meadow game was, as I think they are probably a better side than Montrose.

It probably won't be as big a scoreline as it was the last time we played Montrose in 2003 when we won 9-0 but I don't anticipate too many problems next week.

Team

Smith

Wotherspoon
Hogg
Bamba
Murray

McBride
Miller
Zemmama
Rankin

Stokes
Riordan

SUBS

Brown
Thicot
Stevenson
Galbraith
Nish

LancashireHibby
31-01-2010, 11:08 PM
Certainly agree with the sentiment of having a full team out to do the job etc, but I am leaning towards the likes of Galbraith, McCann and Cregg being given a starting spot as they'd see the game as a chance to prove themselves, whereas the attitude shown against Irvine was largely unacceptable, and I'm a little wary of a similar scenario.

matty_f
31-01-2010, 11:12 PM
I'd go with the strongest team until I was confident that the tie was done. Then I'd get the fringe players to go out and ensure that the game doesn't die on it's erse by giving them time to prove themselves.

Dunbar Hibee
31-01-2010, 11:14 PM
We should be able to beat Montrose with every possible team selection.

matty_f
31-01-2010, 11:16 PM
We should be able to beat Montrose with every possible team selection.

'Should' is one thing - making sure of it is another.

I'd definitely rather we did everything possible to make sure we win, rather than rely on what should happen. :agree:

Toaods
31-01-2010, 11:16 PM
Can I just mention one word PITCH :rolleyes:

I'll add another three:

BOOKINGS

INJURIES

ABERDEEN

weakened first team for me.

BroxburnHibee
31-01-2010, 11:21 PM
Honestly, who do we think we are :bitchy:

To play anything other than our strongest team would be a display of utter arrogance normally associated with that shower along the road :grr:

Take no one lightly - the list of failures in this competition is ridiculous - sincerely hope Saturday isn't another one.

Jonnyboy
31-01-2010, 11:31 PM

To play anything other than our strongest team would be a display of utter arrogance normally associated with that shower along the road :grr:

Take no one lightly - the list of failures in this competition is ridiculous - sincerely hope Saturday isn't another one.

:top marks

zlatan
31-01-2010, 11:54 PM

Come on, how many chances will we ever get to feel a bit cocky about a match? Join us, you might enjoy it :wink:

I do understand the feeling of caution like I said but really, deep down, everyone will feel the same way.

davym7062
31-01-2010, 11:58 PM
it doesnt matter who we play. we'll get pumped off a newly formed third lanark in the final:boo hoo:

on pens:wink:

BEEJ
01-02-2010, 12:05 AM

Whereas to rest 3 or 4 of our first team regulars and put them on the bench might seem quite sensible given the busy schedule of league fixtures that await us.

Playing the full first team against Irvine Meadow failed because the mental attitude in some players seemed poor - they had nothing personally to prove but a lot to lose if they got injured.

The psychology would be quite different for those who would get a start for the first time in ages - they do have something to prove.

No-one is saying field the full U-19 side! :wink:

Toaods
01-02-2010, 12:08 AM
Playing the full first team against Irvine Meadow failed because the mental attitude in some players seemed poor

...and most of the occassions we have been emptied from the cup, the first team hasn't performed fully.

sleeping giant
01-02-2010, 12:09 AM
There is no way Yogi will play a weakened team in a Scottish Cup match.

He still believes it exists:agree:

Wilson
01-02-2010, 07:59 AM

That is where good squad management comes in. We won't rest players just for the sake of it. However, surely if we have our eye on the later rounds of the cup and maintaining our challenge for third the manager has a duty to protect his players where possible.

What is the point in reaching a final against, say, either of the Old Firm but our key players are mentally and physically exhausted from having had to play every single league and cup game? What if this full throttle approach leads to niggling injuries to these players? Are we expected to then throw in fringe players that haven't been allowed to kick a ball in meaningful competition and expect them to get the job done?

We should certainly be making changes for the game against Montrose. If the players on the sidelines aren't good enough / trusted to come in and do a job against Montrose then they shouldn't be picking up wages at Hibs full stop.

The_Todd
01-02-2010, 08:57 AM
Absolutely full team, we cannot slip up. Put the game to bed, then give some fringe players a run out. We should give our opponents and the competition the full respect it's due, especially given our record in it.

Logically, any player who plays for Hibs should be good enough to beat lower league opposition but since when was football logical?

rainman
01-02-2010, 09:06 AM
I think I'd rather we were knocked out now before we get our hopes up again.

I've already caught myself dreaming about a flight home for the final so lets just get the annual heartache out of the way now and get papped out by Montrose.

BEEJ
01-02-2010, 09:07 AM
What is the point in reaching a final against, say, either of the Old Firm but our key players are mentally and physically exhausted from having had to play every single league and cup game? What if this full throttle approach leads to niggling injuries to these players? Are we expected to then throw in fringe players that haven't been allowed to kick a ball in meaningful competition and expect them to get the job done?

We should certainly be making changes for the game against Montrose. If the players on the sidelines aren't good enough / trusted to come in and do a job against Montrose then they shouldn't be picking up wages at Hibs full stop.

Absolutely full team, we cannot slip up. Put the game to bed, then give some fringe players a run out. We should give our opponents and the competition the full respect it's due, especially given our record in it.
This 'disrespect' argument is overdone IMHO. We're talking about fielding 7 or 8 regular first-team players. Where is the disrespect in that?

If a few that we could have rested pick up or aggravate injuries against Montrose we might be left with only 7 or 8 first team regulars for Aberdeen four days later.

brydekirk
01-02-2010, 09:28 AM
Whereas to rest 3 or 4 of our first team regulars and put them on the bench might seem quite sensible given the busy schedule of league fixtures that await us.

Playing the full first team against Irvine Meadow failed because the mental attitude in some players seemed poor - they had nothing personally to prove but a lot to lose if they got injured.

The psychology would be quite different for those who would get a start for the first time in ages - they do have something to prove.

:agree: i dont think its being too disrespectful giving a start to guys like, hanlon,galbraith and byrne.

Hibbyradge
01-02-2010, 09:33 AM
:agree: i dont think its being too disrespectful giving a start to guys like, hanlon,galbraith and byrne.

Hanlon, I could accept, but Galbraith has hardly played and Byrne is just out of the under 19's. That would be folly.

blackpoolhibs
01-02-2010, 09:36 AM
We should be able to field the under 16s, are people forgetting Andy McNeil is their keeper?

Andy74
01-02-2010, 09:41 AM
Some of these comments are hilarious when you think about it.

Sure there is a chance of getting beat like there always is but if people are seriously suggesting putting a Benji, Galbraith or McCann in, or all three, is what will cause the problem you are having a laugh!

All 3, and in fact every member of our squad is cpabale of being a first team player at the team 3rd in the SPL.

You could put any combination of the squad in against Montrose who have 9 points so far and are the worst team in any of the leagues.

If we lose the game it will be to do with application and attitude. The actual personnel at the level we are at compared to them is neither here nor there.

There's actually an argument that you will get a better application and attitude for this type of game from those who haven't been playing recently.

The_Todd
01-02-2010, 09:41 AM

This 'disrespect' argument is overdone IMHO. We're talking about fielding 7 or 8 regular first-team players. Where is the disrespect in that?

If a few that we could have rested pick up or aggravate injuries against Montrose we might be left with only 7 or 8 first team regulars for Aberdeen four days later.

7 or 8 first team regulars is pretty close to full strength and should do it but I wouldn't want to go any lower than that.

blackpoolhibs
01-02-2010, 09:45 AM
Some of these comments are hilarious when you think about it.

Sure there is a chance of getting beat like there always is but if people are seriously suggesting putting a Benji, Galbraith or McCann in, or all three, is what will cause the problem you are having a laugh!

All 3, and in fact every member of our squad is cpabale of being a first team player at the team 3rd in the SPL.

You could put any combination of the squd in against Montroe who have 9 points so far and are the worst team in any of the leagues.

If we lose the game it will be to do with application and attitude. The actual personnel at the level we are at compared to them is neither here nor there.

There's actually an argument that you will get a better application and attitude for this type of game from those who haven't been playing recently.

Yip everything you say is 100% correct. I think its just our paranoia of not winning the thing for so long, that makes all rational thinking go out the window when talking about this subject.

The_Todd
01-02-2010, 09:50 AM
Yip everything you say is 100% correct. I think its just our paranoia of not winning the thing for so long, that makes all rational thinking go out the window when talking about this subject.

To be fair, it probably is.

Andy74
01-02-2010, 09:52 AM
7 or 8 first team regulars is pretty close to full strength and should do it but I wouldn't want to go any lower than that.

Because after that Montrose have better players do they? I just don't get this chat at all?

A team of this lot haven't played much football recently and would still beat Montrose 99 times out of 100.

Brown

McCann McCormack Thicot Hanlon

Zemmama Cregg Stevenson Galbraith

Benji Byrne

I'm not suggesting we go with that, but we should be making changes for it.

number 27
01-02-2010, 09:55 AM
That is where good squad management comes in. We won't rest players just for the sake of it. However, surely if we have our eye on the later rounds of the cup and maintaining our challenge for third the manager has a duty to protect his players where possible.

100% agree with this.

Incidentally, is the infamous "Tall Pish" playing for Montrose now? I can imagine him scoring at some point.

TRC
01-02-2010, 09:56 AM
Team should be a mix imo spoony as has been said is running on empty put mccorrmak in rb, put brown in goals, gilbraith on the left, stokes rested riorden up front. same system.

borstalboy
01-02-2010, 01:18 PM

:top marks

Speedway
01-02-2010, 01:55 PM

heretoday
01-02-2010, 09:16 PM
If I've learned anything at all at Easter Road over the years - apart from avoiding the catering - it's not to take any opposition lightly. Countless Hibs teams have had some good runs, believed the hype and come a cropper to the likes of Arbroath etc.

After all the years of non cup achievement, Hibs owe it to us to leave nothing to chance this time.

CapitalHibs
01-02-2010, 09:29 PM
Just imagine. Yogi gets all his targets in! ... and decides to give them a runout
:woohoo:

Brown

Gray
Hogg
Bamba
Murray

Wotherspoon
Miller
McBride
Gow

Stokes
Deek

:drool::drool:

Hibbyradge
04-02-2010, 05:56 AM
I would guess Gow will get a game, possibly for Nish, but that still equates to a full team.

Wilson
04-02-2010, 11:28 AM
If I've learned anything at all at Easter Road over the years - apart from avoiding the catering - it's not to take any opposition lightly. Countless Hibs teams have had some good runs, believed the hype and come a cropper to the likes of Arbroath etc.

After all the years of non cup achievement, Hibs owe it to us to leave nothing to chance this time.

Isn't there an argument that refusing to add some fresh legs to a season worn and possibly jaded team could in itself be a bit of a risk?

If we are to finish third (or better!) and go deep in the cup then the whole squad will have to play its part - we're not big enough for them not to.

I can't see any reason for Yogi not utilising his squad other than some fans' fear of a cup hoodoo. Running our key men into the ground out of fear is self-defeating.

FranckSuzy
04-02-2010, 11:44 AM
I sincerely hope that the Government, pharmacutical companies, the NHS, captains of industry and Hibs have been having serious talks. The amount of blood pressure tablets that will be required and not to mention the amount of 'sick' days taken IF we win the elusive cup will be phenomonal and could bring the country to a standstill :greengrin

Oh, and manufacturers of Hibs tops, scarves, hats, banners, flags, bunting etc etc will make a killing :thumbsup:

Dashing Bob S
04-02-2010, 08:16 PM
I'd prepare for the game with a crazy night out in Rose Street, ending up in Buster Browns then a lock-in in some Leith hostelry followed by a stodgy breakfast in TGI Fridays and then basically the team would pick itself; those standing would get the jersey.

Montrose would lead 1-0 with a Tweed header till an late double fumble by Andy McNeil in stoppage time, both goals technically credited to John Rankin, the sole sober performer in green, would take us through and set up a memorable QF at Ibrox.

Alex Trager
04-02-2010, 08:19 PM
just have a wee look..... http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/8499402.stm (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/8499402.stm)
he answers