PDA

View Full Version : would you take

Sloppy
31-01-2010, 02:12 PM
.. in this transfer window

3m for stokes
2m for bamba

i know i wouldnt after WC get more for bamba and keep stokes till end of season then possibly sell him

greenlex
31-01-2010, 02:14 PM

3m for stokes
2m for bamba

i know i wouldnt after WC get more for bamba and keep stokes till end of season then possibly sell him
Yes and Yes. The days of rejecting those sort of sums for players are a few years away yet.

forthhibby
31-01-2010, 02:15 PM
i don't think stokes can go anywhere just now, due to the 3 clubs rule, but if he continues to knock in the goals the 2nd half of the season i can see him going for between 2 and 3 million, will be an excellent bit of business by hibs if that happens

Mikey_1875
31-01-2010, 02:16 PM
No and Yes. Stokes goals are vital and I reckon his value will go up as the season goes on.

Sloppy
31-01-2010, 02:16 PM
we should try and keep stokes next season aswell and sell after that, hes been with the big clubs and hasnt worked out surely he should stay around for a bit then more, same with miller

EasterRoad4Ever
31-01-2010, 02:17 PM
i don't think stokes can go anywhere just now, due to the 3 clubs rule, but if he continues to knock in the goals the 2nd half of the season i can see him going for between 2 and 3 million, will be an excellent bit of business by hibs if that happens

was zat ?

offshorehibby
31-01-2010, 02:21 PM
Could live without Bamba. Stokes's goals will be the difference for where we finish this season.

Sloppy
31-01-2010, 02:22 PM
Could live without Bamba. Stokes's goals will be the difference for where we finish this season.
:agree:

PeterboroHibee
31-01-2010, 02:23 PM
Big fees to turn down. I really like Bamba but would be more open to that one than Stokes, his goals have been so important this season!

hibiedude
31-01-2010, 02:24 PM
I would take 2m for Bamba know question

But as forthhibby pointed out Stokes can't move before the summer due to the 3 club rule but if 3 million was on offer in the summer the answer would be yes

Sloppy
31-01-2010, 02:27 PM
I would take 2m for Bamba know question

But as forthhibby pointed out Stokes can't move before the summer due to the 3 club rule but if 3 million was on offer in the summer the answer would be yes
whats that?:confused:

HibeeDaz6270
Why sell at this time? If we sell now, we would have no time to reinvest some of the money to strenghen the squad. We should keep all our best players, and do everything we can do to push celtic all the way for second place.

The goals of stokes, and the presence of bamba could be the difference for us from now until the summer. Imagine we did split the old firm, and get second place, how much is that worth?

These players can only go up in value! so no point in selling mid season, weakening our squad, and decreasing our chances of pushing celtic all the way.

erin-go-bragh87
was zat ?

I think it's a transfer rule that says a player cannot play for 3 clubs in the same season?? Hope to be corrected if I'm wrong though!?

Sloppy
31-01-2010, 02:28 PM
Why sell at this time? If we sell now, we would have no time to reinvest some of the money to strenghen the squad. We should keep all our best players, and do everything we can do to push celtic all the way for second place.

The goals of stokes, and the presence of bamba could be the difference for us from now until the summer. Imagine we did split the old firm, and get second place, how much is that worth?

These players can only go up in value! so no point in selling mid season, weakening our squad, and decreasing our chances of pushing celtic all the way.
and if we split old firm stoke may want to stay for another season, then selling bamba, buy better players etc etc

Alex Trager
31-01-2010, 02:29 PM
we should try and keep stokes next season aswell and sell after that, hes been with the big clubs and hasnt worked out surely he should stay around for a bit then more, same with miller

This , we simply cant afford to keep on selling KEY players, stokes is vital dont think about selling the reason for our league position, think of keeping him

HibbyKeith
31-01-2010, 02:36 PM
while i agree cash like that is hard to turn down, we will never achieve anything if we continue to sell key players,
The club are doing great financially, so lets show a bit of ambition (well within the means of the football club) and try keep these players for as long as possible and see where it takes us.

Hibbyradge
31-01-2010, 02:41 PM
No. We can sell Stokes nxst year and Bamba in the summer for those sums.

Sillier money and we'll think about it.

DirtyDeeds
Could have it completely wrong but i dont think Stokes played for Sunderland this season. He played for us against Falkirk, at which point i dont think the Premiership season had even started. And im fairly sure friendlies dont count, and being registered with the club doesnt count, only playing. Could be total nonsense on my part mind.

blackpoolhibs
I wouldn't sell anyone at this moment in time. Bamba will leave in the summer, and we will get the same money then as we would now. Stokes i hope will stay another season at least, and unless we need the money, would hope he will.

Betty Boop
31-01-2010, 02:44 PM
According to his wiki page he has only played for Hibs this year! :grr:

hibiedude
31-01-2010, 02:49 PM
whats that?:confused:

Crystal Palace,Sundeland and Hibs means he can't move this tranfer window due to the 3 club rule in the same season.

I could be wrong but thats my understanding off the rule.

infact was there not a loan spell at Sheffield United ?

PC Stamp
31-01-2010, 02:49 PM
Section Three of FIFA Article 5 reads:

"Players may be registered with a maximum of three clubs during one season. During this period, the player is only eligible to play official matches for two clubs. As an exception to this rule, a player moving between two clubs belonging to associations with overlapping seasons (i.e. start of the season in summer/autumn as opposed to winter/spring) may be eligible to play in official matches for a third club during the relevant season provided he has fully complied with his contractual obligations towards his previous clubs. Equally, the provisions relating to the registration periods (article 6) as well as to the minimum length of a contract (article 18 paragraph 2) must be respected."

Ask your lawyer to decipher it and not me! :greengrin

forthhibby
31-01-2010, 02:53 PM
Section Three of FIFA Article 5 reads:

"Players may be registered with a maximum of three clubs during one season. During this period, the player is only eligible to play official matches for two clubs. As an exception to this rule, a player moving between two clubs belonging to associations with overlapping seasons (i.e. start of the season in summer/autumn as opposed to winter/spring) may be eligible to play in official matches for a third club during the relevant season provided he has fully complied with his contractual obligations towards his previous clubs. Equally, the provisions relating to the registration periods (article 6) as well as to the minimum length of a contract (article 18 paragraph 2) must be respected."

Ask your lawyer to decipher it and not me! :greengrin

just what i was going to say lol

Betty Boop
31-01-2010, 02:57 PM
Crystal Palace,Sundeland and Hibs means he can't move this tranfer window due to the 3 club rule in the same season.

I could be wrong but thats my understanding off the rule.

infact was there not a loan spell at Sheffield United ?

Crystal Palace was season 2008/09.

BEEJ
31-01-2010, 02:57 PM
I wouldn't sell anyone at this moment in time. Bamba will leave in the summer, and we will get the same money then as we would now. Stokes i hope will stay another season at least, and unless we need the money, would hope he will.
Provided, of course, that he doesn't suffer a broken leg or a career threatening injury between now and then.

What if he was to lose form and didn't get picked for the Ivory Coast World Cup squad?

There's always a potential risk, however slim, when you turn down a good offer in one window in the hope of the same or better in the next one. The continuing increase in a player's market value is not a foregone conclusion.

HibeeDaz6270
31-01-2010, 03:06 PM
Provided, of course, that he doesn't suffer a broken leg or a career threatening injury between now and then.

What if he was to lose form and didn't get picked for the Ivory Coast World Cup squad?

There's always a potential risk, however slim, when you turn down a good offer in one window in the hope of the same or better in the next one. The continuing increase in a player's market value is not a foregone conclusion.

Man united should sell wayne rooney now!, because he may get injured of lose form, and teams such as real madrid may no longer offer good money.

You dont think like that, thats stupid.

blackpoolhibs
31-01-2010, 03:21 PM
Man united should sell wayne rooney now!, because he may get injured of lose form, and teams such as real madrid may no longer offer good money.

Exactly. :agree: Of course it also works the other way. We should be doing our best to get Alan O'brien back, as if we just give him a chance, and a little more time, i'm convinced he could be worth millions in the future.

Calvin
31-01-2010, 03:22 PM
He has only played for Hibs this year but has been signed to two clubs obviously. So another team would be his third club to be signed for and second club to play for surely?

greenlex
31-01-2010, 03:23 PM

Yes you do think like that.
The example you gave isn't a good one. Rooney is world class and has done it over a sustained period of time. You know that you will be able to sell him for good money even if his form was to dip and that is unlikely. You could not say the same about Stokes or Bamba.

BEEJ
31-01-2010, 03:27 PM

Poor example. Not a valid comparison in any way, shape or form

And FWIW, I'm not advocating that the club sells Bamba. I'll be delighted if he's still at ER come Tuesday.

But if we're about to launch into a major stadium investment of around £6m it would not surprise me at all to see RP accept a bid in excess of £2m for him now.

HibeeDaz6270
31-01-2010, 03:34 PM
Yes you do think like that.
The example you gave isn't a good one. Rooney is world class and has done it over a sustained period of time. You know that you will be able to sell him for good money even if his form was to dip and that is unlikely. You could not say the same about Stokes or Bamba.

nonsense. Its the same, but on a bigger scale. Wayne Rooneys value would dip if his form dips, as will bamba/stokes if there form dips. Its the same thing, just on a bigger scale.

HibeeDaz6270
31-01-2010, 03:37 PM

And FWIW, I'm not advocating that the club sells Bamba. I'll be delighted if he's still at ER come Tuesday.

But if we're about to launch into a major stadium investment of around £6m it would not surprise me at all to see RP accept a bid in excess of £2m for him now.

It would not suprise me either, but i would disagree with it. It would be a foolish decision. And that £2million for bamba, we could have had by winning more games, bigger attendances..push to the scottish cup final, finishing 2nd place..champions league etc.

Sell your best players, and you affect your chances of being successful in al of the above. If we are going to sell, sell in the summer.

greenlex
31-01-2010, 03:39 PM
nonsense. Its the same, but on a bigger scale. Wayne Rooneys value would dip if his form dips, as will bamba/stokes if there form dips. Its the same thing, just on a bigger scale.
Value would dip yes but by how much percentage wise? If Rooneys goals dried up for a season or two and Stokes goals dried up for a season or two who's value would drop percentage wise? My arguement has nothing to do with scale.
Nonsense? I dont think so.
I'll give you another example. Bamba/Ferdinand. Both defenders playing in the world cup. Both have their values right now. Both have poor world cups. Which one do you think will drop the more percentage wise in value? I know the answer. Cash in on Bamba now if the fee is right.

blackpoolhibs
31-01-2010, 03:40 PM

Of course you are right, and it could also go the other way too, rooneys on fire at the moment, and Bamba could take us all the way to Hampden maybe even to win the cup. His price would rise then. Its a balancing act for sure, one i personally think will see him stay until the end of this season.

iwasthere1972
31-01-2010, 03:45 PM

3m for stokes
2m for bamba

Very much doubt that they would have been playing yesterday if there was any chance that they wouldn't be at Easter Road after the transfer window.

So question is probably hypothetical.

down-the-slope
31-01-2010, 03:45 PM
No and Yes

HibeeDaz6270
31-01-2010, 03:51 PM
Value would dip yes but by how much percentage wise? If Rooneys goals dried up for a season or two and Stokes goals dried up for a season or two who's value would drop percentage wise? My arguement has nothing to do with scale.
Nonsense? I dont think so.
I'll give you another example. Bamba/Ferdinand. Both defenders playing in the world cup. Both have their values right now. Both have poor world cups. Which one do you think will drop the more percentage wise in value? I know the answer. Cash in on Bamba now if the fee is right.

On the other hand, Bamba is an absolute brilliant tournament, and finishes the season with hibs on a high. Hibs do well in the scottish and manage to nick 2nd place! Hibs recieve money from the cup run, the final position and future champions league money. How much would that add up to? More chance of this, with your best players.

Also then Bamba goes and has a brilliant world cup, with hibs having just finished ahead of celtic, with the propspect of champions league football aswel, how much is Bambas valuation then?

greenlex
31-01-2010, 03:56 PM
On the other hand, Bamba is an absolute brilliant tournament, and finishes the season with hibs on a high. Hibs do well in the scottish and manage to nick 2nd place! Hibs recieve money from the cup run, the final position and future champions league money. How much would that add up to? More chance of this, with your best players.

Also then Bamba goes and has a brilliant world cup, with hibs having just finished ahead of celtic, with the propspect of champions league football aswel, how much is Bambas valuation then?
No arguement about that buddy but you said you souldnt think about cashing in now because he would be worth the same in any case. Its a gamble nothing more and nothing less. There is a saying for these scenarios. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
If these things were not a gamble why is there a substantial sell on percentage of any fee we get for Bamba due to Dunfermline?
I will however argue that the cup run and league finish and the gold that comes with this is still possible without Bamba.

HibeeDaz6270
31-01-2010, 04:03 PM
No arguement about that buddy but you said you souldnt think about cashing in now because he would be worth the same in any case. Its a gamble nothing more and nothing less. There is a saying for these scenarios. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
If these things were not a gamble why is there a substantial sell on percentage of any fee we get for Bamba due to Dunfermline?
I will however argue that the cup run and league finish and the gold that comes with this is still possible without Bamba.
I never once said he would be worth the same. All i said is we shouldnt think like that, If we think like that, then how will we ever keep good players at our club? If a bid came in now for wotherspoon of say £800k or so. Do you take it? Its a good offer, but do you take it? Or do you take the gamble and let him progress into a better player worth more money. Thats all i have said. And i believe jumping in and taking an offer now, would affect our final league position and possibly decrease our chances of doing well in the cup, for me thats not worth it.

greenlex
31-01-2010, 04:10 PM
I never once said he would be worth the same. All i said is we shouldnt think like that, If we think like that, then how will we ever keep good players at our club? If a bid came in now for wotherspoon of say £800k or so. Do you take it? Its a good offer, but do you take it? Or do you take the gamble and let him progress into a better player worth more money. Thats all i have said. And i believe jumping in and taking an offer now, would affect our final league position and possibly decrease our chances of doing well in the cup, for me thats not worth it.
Apologies it was blackpool who said he would be worth the same.
Wotherspoon is a different matter as he is worth more than that and is young enough to be worth even more so its not a good offer. That is certainly worth the gamble. Bamba would be struggling to be worth more than 2 Million for us IMO and we would be silly to wait for more. I dont think even a good world cup would increase his value to more that 2M. I also think we would cope without him.

Hibs90
31-01-2010, 04:17 PM
Here's a thought.

Why don't we try to KEEP these players as they will only help us challenge at the top end of the table.

weecounty hibby
31-01-2010, 04:20 PM
Here's a thought.

Why don't we try to KEEP these players as they will only help us challenge at the top end of the table.
Great post. Keep these guys and add some more quality, you never know what might happen. We shouldn't always be selling. I know we have to from time to time but it should only be for crazy money. 2-3 mill for Stokes aint crazy when you look at Lee Miller for 500,000. Miller cant score but Stokes can't stop.

HibeeDaz6270
31-01-2010, 04:57 PM
Apologies it was blackpool who said he would be worth the same.
Wotherspoon is a different matter as he is worth more than that and is young enough to be worth even more so its not a good offer. That is certainly worth the gamble. Bamba would be struggling to be worth more than 2 Million for us IMO and we would be silly to wait for more. I dont think even a good world cup would increase his value to more that 2M. I also think we would cope without him.
I too think we could cope without him, but i dont want to just "cope"..I want us to have the best season we possibly can this year, and for me, for us to do that, Bamba is an intergal part of our team to help us do so. I know bamba will move on, and wether its for £2million, £3million etc. I know that Hibs will move on, as we always do, however as we are now in a position where we do not NEED to sell, why not keep our best players for now, especialy mid way through a season. Come the summer, he will move on, but at least it doesnt unsettle and weaken us mid season, and we will have time to bring in a replacement.

Phil MaGlass
31-01-2010, 05:08 PM
half a million for Lee Miller,someones huvvin a larf surely

HibbyAndy
31-01-2010, 07:04 PM
half a million for Lee Miller,someones huvvin a larf surely

:agree:

He is horrendous :agree:

PaulSmith
31-01-2010, 07:06 PM

3m for stokes
2m for bamba

No, too much to play for between now and the end of the season when they will still be worth those figures or even more IMO.

BEEJ
31-01-2010, 08:13 PM

That is one possible scenario, yes. But one of many.

It's all about probabilities and risk. There are very few, if any, certainties in life. And I'm simply pointing out the decision process that the Hibs Board have to go through on these occasions.

We held on to Fletcher last year and it worked out for us. His move to Burnley in the summer window was great for him and we got an excellent fee. But it could have turned out differently.

If we are indeed about to bulldoze our East Stand then that will be making a similar decision this year for Bamba (or even Zemmama?) a bit harder to weigh up. Tomorrow is going to be interesting.

IWasThere2016
31-01-2010, 10:09 PM

Or £3m for Stokes.

We won't turn down such offers IMHO.

The age old issues would remain though - how much would be re-invested in the team and the disillusion that selling our best players causes amongst some fans.

basehibby
31-01-2010, 11:55 PM
I wouldn't want to lose any of our star players mid way through the season - if they're worth a few bob now then they'll still be worth a few bob in the summer when there'd be time to re-invest in the squad if an offer was too good to turn down. .