PDA

View Full Version : Bamba

down-the-slope
30-01-2010, 07:08 PM
I personally thought that Hanlon should have remained in the team today - for me it was all the stranger when Yogi has said in his post match interview that Bamba only got back today (I thought he was back earlier)....surley with no time to talk tactics and rehearse set plays...

His lack of communication with Buzz (although both were to blame) is surely because they have not played together much

Malthibby
30-01-2010, 07:12 PM
I think Hanlon could be the future at CH, but Bamba is a class act. as noted elsewhere, he didn't look as if he knew he was on a footie pitch for about 20 minutes but after that was immense. Nearly scored as well; in fact he was swingng away so desperately, presumably to make amends for the o.g. that I thought he was going to kick half the St. Mirren defence into the net along with the ball.
GG

Jones28
30-01-2010, 07:13 PM
As good as Bamba was, Hanlon was outstanding on wednesday and did not deserve to get dropped imho

sleeping giant
30-01-2010, 07:13 PM
I personally thought that Hanlon should have remained in the team today - for me it was all the stranger when Yogi has said in his post match interview that Bamba only got back today (I thought he was back earlier)....surley with no time to talk tactics and rehearse set plays...

His lack of communication with Buzz (although both were to blame) is surely because they have not played together much

Bamba is the only one to blame for the goal mate.
Smith shouted for it. Bamba didnt listen.

hibee_girl
30-01-2010, 07:16 PM
Was surprised that Hughes changed the team. Hanlon didn't deserve to be left out today and I don't think Bamba was ready to play today

crash
30-01-2010, 07:21 PM
As good as Bamba was, Hanlon was outstanding on wednesday and did not deserve to get dropped imho

It shouldn't have been a question of Bamba or Hanlon. Bamba can play centre Midfield.

Greenblood70
30-01-2010, 07:26 PM
Was surprised that Hughes changed the team. Hanlon didn't deserve to be left out today and I don't think Bamba was ready to play today

Agree completely, and I say that as a big fan of Bamba. The first 20 mins to half hour he looked well off the pace and could have cost us the game imo. He misjudged high balls, challenges and passes and didn't look like the Bamba we know and love.

However, you could see his desire to atone for the og and I thought he improved as the game went on without ever being close to the performances we know he can give us.

It was a tricky decision for Yogi and we got away with it in the end and probably Bamba will be sharper for that 90 mins so no harm done. (as long as Hanlon understands being dropped to the bench.).

Andy74
30-01-2010, 07:26 PM
It shouldn't have been a question of Bamba or Hanlon. Bamba can play centre Midfield.

Not in a passing football team he can't!

derekHFC
30-01-2010, 07:30 PM
And not before McBride.

maturehibby
30-01-2010, 07:30 PM
Had to be Bamba to start as Mehmet and Higdon are two big laddies who put it about and might have pushed Hanlon around but then again maybe he might have handled him- time will tell

H18sry
30-01-2010, 07:47 PM

Bamba is the only one to blame for the goal mate.
Smith shouted for it. Bamba didnt listen.

:agree:

Pedantic_Hibee
30-01-2010, 07:48 PM
Had to be Bamba to start as Mehmet and Higdon are two big laddies who put it about and might have pushed Hanlon around but then again maybe he might have handled him- time will tell

Yep, said the same a few times today; that can be the only reason Bamba was brought back in today.

At the end of the day, we won 2v1 and I'm not going to question the tactics and team selection of a manager who's engineered 9 points out of 9 with 9 goals within those 3 games.

sam armstrong
30-01-2010, 07:51 PM

Bamba had a shaky start and was partly at fault with the goal but thereafter was immense. He is our best defender by a lomg way.

Ants
30-01-2010, 07:53 PM
Why is Bamba back ?
Because they (Ivory Coast) were ersed out on p#sh poor defending......

Hanlon should have started, if he was to be ousted by the St. Mirren Big 2 up front, then replace him, simples.....

Bamba should have done the decent thing, rested today, tomorrow and return to training on Monday, especially as Hughes stated he did not return until yesterday.

Cameron1875
30-01-2010, 08:01 PM
yes he wasnt completely on his game today but i thought he handled the strikers well after a shaky start. They had 2 bruisers up front who would have had too much power over hanlon at the moment.

Also can people give bamba a break for the goal. IIRC this was bambas first hibs game with graeme smith in goal. Takes a few games to build an understanding. Probably still a trust issue after having to mop up many makalamby messes.

IWasThere2016
30-01-2010, 08:04 PM
I think it was a poor decision to drop Hanlon personally.

I am against changing a winning team also.

(((Fergus)))
30-01-2010, 08:17 PM
OG proved it was the wrong decision. Easy with the benefit of hindsight though.

Allant1981
30-01-2010, 08:21 PM

Samaras and fortune arent exactly shrinking violets and he handled himself pretty well against them

RoYO!
30-01-2010, 08:25 PM
am i missing something....

is this the Bamba that pre African Cup of Nations we were (quite rightly) expecting to sell for £2-3M in the near future?

he needs to be in the shop window so that hibs can manufacture the best possible deal. If he was being kept out the team by a youngster what sort of message is that sending out to Liverpool (!) :wink:

I agree tho that he looked very shaky at times and Hanlon by all accounts had done great midweek.

Hanlon will defo get a lot of chances and he has time.

gazmac
30-01-2010, 08:32 PM
Cannot believe that people think that bamba is our best defender:grr: If he stuck to defending like a good old fashioned center half he would be half descent but when he tries to play fitba its laughable. He is hopeless and a bomb scare!! if we get an offer for him tomorrow take it please. We should never have changed the team today, Yogi took a chance and was lucky to get away with it. can't believe we bought another keeper when we have Hogg and Bamba.

Silver Fox
30-01-2010, 09:19 PM

Totally agree.. :agree:

lapsedhibee
30-01-2010, 09:26 PM
Cannot believe that people think that bamba is our best defender:grr: If he stuck to defending like a good old fashioned center half he would be half descent but when he tries to play fitba its laughable. He is hopeless and a bomb scare!! if we get an offer for him tomorrow take it please. We should never have changed the team today, Yogi took a chance and was lucky to get away with it. can't believe we bought another keeper when we have Hogg and Bamba.

Absolutely correct. :agree: Punt him before Monday if we can. :agree: Useless, a disgrace. :agree:

:hmmm:

James.
30-01-2010, 09:29 PM

This is a ridiculous post. Bambas the best central defender we've had in years.

Saorsa
30-01-2010, 09:55 PM
Hanlon had the jersey, I am extremely disappointed he was dropped for Bamba particularly on that performance :bitchy: As far as I'm concerned the player that has the jersey has the jersey until he ****s up, nae player should have the right tae walk in tae the team just because he is available and I dinnae give a toss whae it is. Are those that thought Bamba should walk straight back in tae the team still of the same opinion :bitchy:

Give me 3 Mill for Bamba :bye: I'd rather have Hanlon

KingFranck
30-01-2010, 10:08 PM

And who in the midfield should be dropped for Bamba ?

The Harp Awakes
30-01-2010, 10:25 PM
I can definitely see bot sides of the argument here.

For me Hanlon is a star in the making. Centre Half is definitely his position and he will only improve further if he is given challenges like todays.

Bottom line though is that today we needed 3 points. We were up aginst 2 decent, physical forwards in Higdon & Mehmet and we have no physical presence in our team apart from Bamba. The big guy had a shaky 20 minutes but then was immense so not a bad decision from Yogi given we got the 3 points.

sleeping giant
30-01-2010, 10:30 PM
Hanlon had the jersey, I am extremely disappointed he was dropped for Bamba particularly on that performance :bitchy: As far as I'm concerned the player that has the jersey has the jersey until he ****s up, nae player should have the right tae walk in tae the team just because he is available and I dinnae give a toss whae it is. Are those that thought Bamba should walk straight back in tae the team still of the same opinion :bitchy:

Give me 3 Mill for Bamba :bye: I'd rather have Hanlon

I agree with most of that but i would except players getting called up for international duty.
We want the players to play well enough to play for their country so i have no problem with a , first eleven , player going straight back into the position when he returns.

His fault for the goal though:greengrin
I was a bit disappointed that Smith was not going mental at him due to the fact Smith shouted for him to leave it.

I love Bamba. Great player but deserved a slap from Smith for trying to be wide. He deserved a slap for sitting there laughing about it too tbh.
I realise that it was an embarrassed laugh but Smith told him to ***** leave it:grr:

If that was Rankin , Hogg or Nish , they would have been hung out to dry on here.

I sound like i'm moaning but i'm really not :greengrin

Its just an observation , i had a full clean view of it and i was raging at the time.

3 points again though:thumbsup:

Keep racking up the points and have exciting games like today and Wednesday (wasnt there) and i'll be happy:agree:

Saying to my nephews today that its been a long time since we are still mixing it after the new year.

Its been a great season so far and i hope it continues.

Good signing today too:top marks

Really like Smith and he will be the number 1 but Mark Brown could be our number 1 in his own right too.
Great signing and will keep the keepers on their toes.

Also thought Nish had a good game today:agree:

Saorsa
30-01-2010, 10:39 PM
I agree with most of that but i would except players getting called up for international duty.
We want the players to play well enough to play for their country so i have no problem with a , first eleven , player going straight back into the position when he returns.

His fault for the goal though :greengrin
I was a bit disappointed that Smith was not going mental at him due to the fact Smith shouted for him to leave it.

I love Bamba. Great player but deserved a slap from Smith for trying to be wide. He deserved a slap for sitting there laughing about it too tbh.
I realise that it was an embarrassed laugh but Smith told him to ***** leave it:grr:

If that was Rankin , Hogg or Nish , they would have been hung out to dry on here.

I sound like i'm moaning but i'm really not :greengrin

Its just an observation , i had a full clean view of it and i was raging at the time.

3 points again though:thumbsup:

Keep racking up the points and have exciting games like today and Wednesday (wasnt there) and i'll be happy:agree:

Saying to my nephews today that its been a long time since we are still mixing it after the new year.

Its been a great season so far and i hope it continues.

Good signing today too:top marks

Really like Smith and he will be the number 1 but Mark Brown could be our number 1 in his own right too.
Great signing and will keep the keepers on their toes.

Also thought Nish had a good game today:agree:Yes it was his fault, does he stay in next week regardless? and no get dropped like Hanlon did for f all :bitchy: is he undropable for some reason? Does Hanlon come back in on the back of his f up? probably not!

seanraff07
30-01-2010, 10:43 PM
Think it was pretty unfair Hanlon got dropped in the first place who's confidence will be quite low now im sure, Bamba was a tad unlucky with the own goal but made up for it enough, still thought his passing was a bit ropey though :rolleyes:

sleeping giant
30-01-2010, 11:03 PM
Yes it was his fault, does he stay in next week regardless? and no get dropped like Hanlon did for f all :bitchy: is he undropable for some reason? Does Hanlon come back in on the back of his f up? probably not!

I'm not saying he is undroppable. I'm saying that a player should not lose his place due to international duty.

Expecting Rain
30-01-2010, 11:06 PM

Bamba looked like he had just stepped of the plane but managed to redeem himself as the game went on, agree it was a tough on Hanlon, i would have dropped the other guy.

steakbake
30-01-2010, 11:06 PM
I didn't really understand him coming in. It's not like Hanlon was struggling.

Hanlon should have been given a further opportunity today. At least even to give Bamba some time to get his ***** together after the African Nations Cup.

Until today, he hadn't played with Smith in goals and I thought the own goal had lack of communication written all over it.

Would have been better to welcome him back perhaps in the cup game instead.

Saorsa
30-01-2010, 11:08 PM
I'm not saying he is undroppable. I'm saying that a player should not lose his place due to international duty.and a player playing well shouldnae lose is place tae a player coming back fae elsewhere. I'm quite happy for Bamab tae further his international career but I'm mair concerned aboot the player/s that are here giving their all for this club.

blackpoolhibs
30-01-2010, 11:09 PM
I think a manager should pick his best team, and Bamba is in that first 11 players. He had a shaky 25 minutes today, but you could see his class after that. When Hanlon is getting valued at the type of prices Sol is, and has played as many good games as he has, then he can expect to play as a first choice player. His time will come, but he's not as good as Bamba, so Bamba should play.

sleeping giant
30-01-2010, 11:14 PM
and a player playing well shouldnae lose is place tae a player coming back fae elsewhere. I'm quite happy for Bamab tae further his international career but I'm mair concerned aboot the player/s that are here giving their all for this club.

The player who "filled in" would be safe in the knowledge that when he was an established international player he would be extended the same courtesy.

Drop him now by all mean if that's what you would do !
He deserved to go straight back in today !
Hanlon has proved he has it and the ball is now in Bambas court regarding performances.

All my opinion of course !

Speedy
30-01-2010, 11:29 PM
Don't know if anyone cares but Kalou and Drogba weren't in the squad for Chelsea today.

I said before the game that I would have kept Hanlon in and put Bamba on the bench for a rest but at the end of the day, we won so I don't really see the problem.

carlos70
30-01-2010, 11:58 PM
Started very shaky but the goal saving challenge early in the second half made up for it

sadtom
31-01-2010, 12:09 AM
Bamba is a must start for us when available. It was tough on Hanlon but thats just the way it goes.
Do you think for a minute that when bougehra returns to der hun that the boy wilson, who has done well for more than just one or two games, will keep the jersey? I think not.
And I think Bamba is more important to us than bougehra is to them.

blackpoolhibs
31-01-2010, 09:04 AM
Bamba is a must start for us when available. It was tough on Hanlon but thats just the way it goes.
Do you think for a minute that when bougehra returns to der hun that the boy wilson, who has done well for more than just one or two games, will keep the jersey? I think not.
And I think Bamba is more important to us than bougehra is to them.

:agree: What i cant understand is why anyone would want us to go out with a weakened team, as Hanlon is not as good as Bamba. :confused:

PISTOL1875
31-01-2010, 09:14 AM
:agree: What i cant understand is why anyone would want us to go out with a weakened team, as Hanlon is not as good as Bamba. :confused:

You must always start with your strongest team that's correct.. It was harsh on Hanlon but with the physical threat of Mehmet and Higdon , it was probably for the best that Bamba started....

houston1875
31-01-2010, 09:15 AM
Bamba only got back early in the am sat morning,was a big ask,so says yogi in the papers the day? prob shouldnt have started

i agree tho hanlon a star in the making

richard_pitts
31-01-2010, 09:18 AM
Bamba got back early doors to freezing cold Scotland to find his central heating had gone as well :greengrin My neighbour took the call-out - I don't think he would have been in the right frame of mind to play personally but I am not the manager and it's probably a good job really :agree:

matty_f
31-01-2010, 09:18 AM
I think a manager should pick his best team, and Bamba is in that first 11 players. He had a shaky 25 minutes today, but you could see his class after that. When Hanlon is getting valued at the type of prices Sol is, and has played as many good games as he has, then he can expect to play as a first choice player. His time will come, but he's not as good as Bamba, so Bamba should play.

Spot on. :agree:

Hanlon's time will come, but I think it was appropriate to play Bamba yesterday. Own goals happen in football, I don't think that is proof one way or another about whether the decision to play him was right or wrong.

Will Gus McPherson be regretting playing Jack Ross because of his own goal?

Probably, aye.:greengrin

Baw187
31-01-2010, 09:26 AM
Think it was pretty unfair Hanlon got dropped in the first place who's confidence will be quite low now im sure, Bamba was a tad unlucky with the own goal but made up for it enough, still thought his passing was a bit ropey though :rolleyes:

Why on earth would that be?? :confused:

He's filled in well for us in Bamba's absence and done himself no harm as a learning CB.

But he is only learning. It's not a position you can take lightly and a few games here and there is better than chucking him in full time and waiting for the inevitable bad game, which I can assure you, would defo come from Hanalon if you gave him the jersey full time.

Then his confidence is more likely to be lowa fter the fans turned on him.

Bamba is an established CB and should always start if availabe. Hanalon's time will come but suggesting we just launch him in is naive.

blackpoolhibs
31-01-2010, 09:32 AM
Bamba got back early doors to freezing cold Scotland to find his central heating had gone as well :greengrin My neighbour took the call-out - I don't think he would have been in the right frame of mind to play personally but I am not the manager and it's probably a good job really :agree:

Surely you are not saying just because his central heating was broken, that would be enough for him to be in the wrong frame of mind to play football.:confused:

blackpoolhibs
31-01-2010, 12:53 PM
Kolo Toure straight back in today for city, what is Mancini thinking? :devil:

Wotherspiniesta
31-01-2010, 01:02 PM

:faf: :bye:

JimBHibees
31-01-2010, 08:37 PM
This is a ridiculous post. Bambas the best central defender we've had in years.

Totally agree. Probably Hibs best player this year, maybe Miller excepted. Think the OG was as much the goalies fault as Sol's.

Pedantic_Hibee
31-01-2010, 08:43 PM
Totally agree. Probably Hibs best player this year, maybe Miller excepted. Think the OG was as much the goalies fault as Sol's.

HibsSpain, how did you get a hold of JimB's login details!?!? :grr:

:wink:

down-the-slope
31-01-2010, 09:41 PM
Started very shaky but the goal saving challenge early in the second half made up for it

Imagine if that statement was made about Maka...gifted a goal...but had a great save later.....I don't think so :rolleyes:

blackpoolhibs
31-01-2010, 09:47 PM
Imagine if that statement was made about Maka...gifted a goal...but had a great save later.....I don't think so :rolleyes:

Aye because thats Bamba's usual form.

Pretty Boy
31-01-2010, 09:50 PM
Aye because thats Bamba's usual form.

Come on now, the hibs.net inquisition needs its' scapegoat. Last couple of weeks it was Mr John Rankin, this week it's Mr Sol Bamba.

Who's up next week? I'm getting an early bet on Graeme Smith as a Hibs goalkeeper can't go this many games with an easy ride. Or possible Chris Hogg as he's been praised the last couple of games so he needs brought back down to earth with a bump.

Lofarl
31-01-2010, 10:09 PM
Smiths got it coming. Thats two poor kick outs he's had in all his matches. One of these days he's going to kick it out to a player who will give away a free kick which will result in a corner which will result in a penalty which will result in a red card.

He'll save the penalty though :wink:

MussyHibby
01-02-2010, 08:35 AM
Some of the comments on here about Bamba are laughable. First 15-20 mins Saturday he looked a bit unsure, thereafter as is the norm' he was outstanding and breezed through the game. Physically, he was rock solid against the Buddies attackers.

Personally, he's my favourite player by a country mile! :agree:

Saorsa
01-02-2010, 12:44 PM
Some of the comments on here about Bamba are laughable. First 15-20 mins Saturday he looked a bit unsure, thereafter as is the norm' he was outstanding and breezed through the game. Physically, he was rock solid against the Buddies attackers.

Personally, he's my favourite player by a country mile! :agree:More laughable than your comments about Liam Miller?

CmoantheHibs
01-02-2010, 01:04 PM
Why is Bamba back ?
Because they (Ivory Coast) were ersed out on p#sh poor defending......

Hanlon should have started, if he was to be ousted by the St. Mirren Big 2 up front, then replace him, simples.....

Bamba should have done the decent thing, rested today, tomorrow and return to training on Monday, especially as Hughes stated he did not return until yesterday.

Pretty negative post imo.Yogi picked him.It all worked well.Hanlon knows he is a young laddie and needs to bide his time and will learn from the experience.Sol is a better player so why not play him.Hanlons time will come but at the moment he is still learning

MussyHibby
01-02-2010, 02:38 PM
More laughable than your comments about Liam Miller?

Well well well, we have an observant one. Again though I reiterate, the thread wasn't a dig at Miller, more some's perception of him. I have never even got close to making remarks about Miller similar to some of the content in this thread. Sol's a top player, make no mistake, as for Miller, I'm growing fonder..........slowly! :wink:

ian cruise
01-02-2010, 03:29 PM
i dont think this will affect hanlon too much, he'll know he's a young player who's time will come and that he should be proud of his performances. theres no shame in a young player making way for an international player.