PDA

View Full Version : How did Rankin do today?

greenlex
30-01-2010, 07:43 PM
How did John Rankin play today then?
I got sick of him getting stick when I thought he didnt deserve it so I kept a ken eye on him today and have a couple of stats that I will post later.
What's everyones opinion on todays performance?

MWHIBBIES
30-01-2010, 07:49 PM
He did all right IMO was involved alot and got stuck in.

Alfred E Newman
30-01-2010, 07:51 PM
How did John Rankin play today then?
I got sick of him getting stick when I thought he didnt deserve it so I kept a ken eye on him today and have a couple of stats that I will post later.
What's everyones opinion on todays performance?

Gave his all for 90 mins on a pitch that made the players look foolish at times. One of his best games of the season.

sleeping giant
30-01-2010, 07:51 PM
Same as always. Gave his all and tried his heart out.
Not scared to want the ball and never hid during the match.

I like Rankin !

Judas Iscariot
30-01-2010, 07:52 PM
He was gash..

Again

Played the ball right to the St Mirren player leading up to their goal..

Andy74
At fault for the goal. Shocking misplaced pass.

hibee_girl
He did ok, wasn't his best performance but he got stuck in, broke down a lot of St Mirren attacks and kept the ball well, his passing occasionally let him down this afternoon but some of that will be down to the awful state the pitch is in.

BT58
30-01-2010, 07:54 PM
he sort of made the first goal fer miller [a hoof up to the strikers]
he had a chance in second where it was easier to score, but made a pass
back to their goalie
would prefer a n other in his position [just to see if its me,or in case of mr rankin]
mind you would prefer to see hibs in a 4-4-2[with deeks up front]
but then again im not yogi
a wins a win, we never got out of third gear[in my eyes], it was like,,,,its only stmidden!!!!
we`ll if we can play poorly and still win, [in saying that ,nishy should have scored a few at least]
and we are 14pts clear of the so called BIG TEAM
getting back to MR R,,,,,,,HE CERTAINLY KNOWS HOW TO POINT!!!!!!!!
hb

Malthibby
30-01-2010, 07:54 PM
It was a day for gash then, because it was more a battle than a football game, & Rankin battled from start to finish. Needs to take a vow never to shoot again for the rest of his career, though.
GG

Judas Iscariot
30-01-2010, 07:55 PM
He's like Joe Keenan/Ross Chisolm/Brian Kerr but fit..

greenlex
30-01-2010, 07:57 PM
At fault for the goal. Shocking misplaced pass.
Bit harsh Andy.Poor pass but hardly at fault for Bamba turning it into his own net. :confused:
If Smith had shouted Bamba could have left it for an easy catch. Smith far more culpable IMO.

sleeping giant
30-01-2010, 07:58 PM
Poor pass but hardly at fault for Bamba turning it into his own net. :confused:
If Smith had shouted Bamba could have left it for an easy catch. Smith far more culpable IMO.

Smith did shout !!

Bamba took no notice !

BT58
30-01-2010, 07:59 PM
Gave his all for 90 mins on a pitch that made the players look foolish at times. One of his best games of the season.

as a certain TENNIS PRO once said,,,,,,,,,,YOU CANNOT BE SERIOUS!!!!!
from wehere im at in the gods in the west we need another to compliment miller+macbride,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,rankin is not the answer:bitchy::bitchy:
hb
if that was his BEST,,,,,,,,,,,jeezo

greenlex
30-01-2010, 08:00 PM
Smith did shout !!

Bamba took no notice !

Maybe he thought it was a lassie in the Famous Five. :greengrin My Bad or rather Bamaba's bad.:wink: Still hardly caused by a poor pass.

GreenPJ
30-01-2010, 08:01 PM
Rankin did well and think without him we would have struggled in midfield. The other two don't have his energy and a lot of McBride's passing was poor today although all players were guilty of that but certainly the pitch did not help.

In comparison to other esteemed team mates on the left wing Rankin was a 10.

Judas Iscariot
30-01-2010, 08:07 PM
Bit harsh Andy.Poor pass but hardly at fault for Bamba turning it into his own net. :confused:

If Rankin, who wasn't under any pressure, doesn't pass the ball right to the St Mirren player inside his own half the cross would ever have came about..

We need another player to play in Midfield to accompany Miller and McBride as Rankin just doesn't have the footballing ablility to do it!

As i said previous, Rankin sticks out like a sore thumb in our team!

I don't think he'd be a starter for ay other SPL team, amazed Yogi hasn't further strenghtened the centre midfield..

greenlex
30-01-2010, 08:20 PM
It depends on how you see it Number ten.

If Rankin, who wasn't under any pressure, doesn't pass the ball right to the St Mirren player inside his own half the cross would ever have came about.. Not great pass but it was intercepted rather than being passed straight to him. It was also nearly the half way line. Where was Spoony when the cross went in? Why didnt Bamba listen to the shout?
[/B]
We need another player to play in Midfield to accompany Miller and McBride as Rankin just doesn't have the footballing ablility to do it! You might be surprised by the stats

As i said previous, Rankin sticks out like a sore thumb in our team! IMHO No he doesnt

I don't think he'd be a starter for ay other SPL team, amazed Yogi hasn't further strenghtened the centre midfield..Total pish but you are ebtitiled to your opinion

murray26
30-01-2010, 08:26 PM
Not my favourite but he does work hard and he allows Miller to get forward more, i feel we could get better but probaly the best we've got for that role at the moment, its a shame Stevenson hasn't progressed like we all hoped he would.

Alex Trager
30-01-2010, 08:28 PM
He was gash..

Again

Played the ball right to the St Mirren player leading up to their goal..

And played the ball for nish to nock on and miller to score

MyJo
30-01-2010, 08:29 PM
he was guff again!

totally at fault for the first goal. he did really well to get back and win the ball in defence then promptly gave it away again with a woeful attempt at a pass allowing st midden to attack and score. his corners were atrocious, he should have buried his chance on goal instead of passing it to the keeper, he fannied about with the ball instead of driving forward when he had posession and his passing is just pathetic

BT58
30-01-2010, 08:30 PM
It depends on how you see it Number ten.

your entitled to your views [as we all are],,,,,,,,,,,
but im afraid that if this team is to progress,,,,we will not with JR in the team
we need pace,,,maybe give galbraith+zemama a chance when zem is fit
+put deeks up front beside stokesy
but ive got my view,,,,,youve got yours hey ho
as long as HIBERNIAN win
hb

Love the Green
30-01-2010, 08:32 PM
He did ok, wasn't his best performance but he got stuck in, broke down a lot of St Mirren attacks and kept the ball well, his passing occasionally let him down this afternoon but some of that will be down to the awful state the pitch is in.

Possibly but broke down more hibs attacks. Effort is no replacement for ability

"keep the faith":wink:

greenlex
30-01-2010, 08:33 PM
your entitled to your views [as we all are],,,,,,,,,,,
but im afraid that if this team is to progress,,,,we will not with JR in the team
we need pace,,,maybe give galbraith+zemama a chance when zem is fit
+put deeks up front beside stokesy
but ive got my view,,,,,youve got yours hey ho
as long as HIBERNIAN win
hb
I can back mine up with facts today Bri. :wink:

BT58
30-01-2010, 08:33 PM
he was guff again!

totally at fault for the first goal. he did really well to get back and win the ball in defence then promptly gave it away again with a woeful attempt at a pass allowing st midden to attack and score. his corners were atrocious, he should have buried his chance on goal instead of passing it to the keeper, he fannied about with the ball instead of driving forward when he had posession and his passing is just pathetic

:top marks:top marks
my reading on it too,,,,,,,,,but then again the WHOLE team were way under par
afterall it was only STMIDDEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!
hb

sleeping giant
30-01-2010, 08:34 PM
Mon Lex , get the stats up before more respected posters make erses off themselves :greengrin

Lofarl
30-01-2010, 08:44 PM
I thought Rankin had a very solid game today. If you want to blame someone for the Saints goal, blame Sol. Christ you could hear Smith's shout fae Perth I reckon.

jdships
30-01-2010, 08:49 PM
Boy !
The wanabee managers are out in force tonight !!!!!!!!!

Ask yourselves this question .
If you had been offered SIX points from the next two games on Wednesday evening @ 19.00 would you have taken them ?

A win is a win is a win - no matter how many goals you win by or how you score them you only get THREE points for a win .
Again we have worked hard , as a team, to peg back a goal and have scored in the dying seconds to take full points and yet there many who will still point a finger at one player for whatever reason :confused:
We are third - close on the heels of 2nd placed team

ENJOY IT !!!!!!!!!!!

:flag:

Lofarl
30-01-2010, 08:59 PM
I agree. If we were offered 7 points from these last 3 games we would have taken it in a heartbeat.

To get 9 is outstanding. Yes the game today was by no means a great game of football. But 2 great games again Hamilton and Celtic and a hard fought game on a poor pitch against a resolute ST Mirren game as more than enough for me.

Pedantic_Hibee
30-01-2010, 09:00 PM
He's like Joe Keenan/Ross Chisolm/Brian Kerr but fit..

Yeah, I like his physique too...makes me do a s*x wee in my pants most weekends :agree:

greenlex
30-01-2010, 09:06 PM
Right here are the FACTS.

34 passes made. 30 found their target. I reckon thats just over 88%

6 balls over the top. 3 eventually found a man in green with 1 leading to the first goal. 50%

4 crosses/corners. 2 failed to reach their target. 50%

1 shot on target 100%(it was a bit tame to be fair.:greengrin)

2 headed "passes" to team mates. 100%.

I reckon that is pretty good for someone who is crap in a team that wasn't at its best.

Somebody else can do it next week and I don't want to do it every week.

jdships
30-01-2010, 09:16 PM
Right here are the FACTS.

34 passes made. 30 found their target. I reckon thats just over 88%

6 balls over the top. 3 eventually found a man in green with 1 leading to the first goal. 50%

4 crosses/corners. 2 failed to reach their target. 50%

1 shot on target 100%(it was a bit tame to be fair.:greengrin)

2 headed "passes" to team mates. 100%.

I reckon that is pretty good for someone who is crap in a team that wasn't at its best.

Somebody else can do it next week and I don't want to do it every week.

Good that someone can tell it as IT WAS :thumbsup:
I couldn't put stats together but agree with the basics of what you write

:agree:
Good dd

rightwinger
30-01-2010, 09:40 PM
Somebody said his corners are atrocious.

For me, Rankin's corners were dangerous, swinging into the six-yard box and resulting in two goal-line stramashes in either half that we should have scored from. Riordan's corners on the other hand were awful, barely getting past the first man. This is another example of fans going to games with their minds already made up. The same fans that would have been berating Miller for not hoofing the ball forward as soon as he got it in the 93rd minute today.

Rankin covered a lot of ground today and did well. He was partly to blame for the goal we lost as he needlessly gave the ball away. He played a part in our equaliser and worked tirelessly throughout the game.

He played a part in 3 of the goals we got against Hamilton last week. On Wednesday he passed to Stokes on the edge of his own box, ran the length of the pitch to pick up the loose ball and slotted in Galbraith. In the 92nd minute! That box to box industry is as important to us right now as anything else.

The team has a good balance to it right now. The midfield especially with McBride's positioning, Miller's creativity and Rankin's industry. People should realise that they are all complementing each other, rather than two carrying one.

I reckon I could go through all of our players and pick at their shortcomings because they all have them. I'm not a fan of Hogg but he did fine. Riordan's workrate is lamentable but he's creative and dangerous. Better to focus on their strengths rather than major on weaknesses IMO (and in Rankin's case, these weaknesses are often perceived and/or exaggerated).

Hughes doesn't strike me as one who suffers fools. You don't win three games in a week at this time of year in this league if you're carrying passengers. Rather than being a passenger, Rankin's played a key part in creating 5 of the 9 goals we've scored in that time (admittedly at fault for 1) and worked as tirelessly as anyone else.

As for 'its only St Mirren' comments. We'd lambast our players for having that attitude. We don't have any right to take any team lightly. No team does and that's one reason why Rangers are 10 points ahead of Celtic. St Mirren pressed and worked hard and could have easily been 2-0 up after 20 minutes.

The turning point for me today was in the 32nd minute. Hogg controlled a high ball well and passed to Murray. For the first time all game, the fans applauded and cheered. 20 seconds later Miller's scored and we're back in the game. Funny that.

Liam89
30-01-2010, 09:45 PM
As i said in another thread, i used to like Rankin but seeing him a few times this season he has been atrocious. He may give his all every game for 90 minutes but he totally Sh*ts himself when he gets the ball. He stumbles, slows the counter attack and then after 20 seconds of turning and twisting in the same spot he side passes or back passes it to another player of that has some quality like Mcbride (who ran the midfield greatly today) or Liam Miller whose calm, precision kept us in the game IMO.

Ell_Chrisso
30-01-2010, 10:05 PM
Somebody said his corners are atrocious.

For me, Rankin's corners were dangerous, swinging into the six-yard box and resulting in two goal-line stramashes in either half that we should have scored from. Riordan's corners on the other hand were awful, barely getting past the first man. This is another example of fans going to games with their minds already made up. The same fans that would have been berating Miller for not hoofing the ball forward as soon as he got it in the 93rd minute today.

Rankin covered a lot of ground today and did well. He was partly to blame for the goal we lost as he needlessly gave the ball away. He played a part in our equaliser and worked tirelessly throughout the game.

He played a part in 3 of the goals we got against Hamilton last week. On Wednesday he passed to Stokes on the edge of his own box, ran the length of the pitch to pick up the loose ball and slotted in Galbraith. In the 92nd minute! That box to box industry is as important to us right now as anything else.

The team has a good balance to it right now. The midfield especially with McBride's positioning, Miller's creativity and Rankin's industry. People should realise that they are all complementing each other, rather than two carrying one.

I reckon I could go through all of our players and pick at their shortcomings because they all have them. I'm not a fan of Hogg but he did fine. Riordan's workrate is lamentable but he's creative and dangerous. Better to focus on their strengths rather than major on weaknesses IMO (and in Rankin's case, these weaknesses are often perceived and/or exaggerated).

Hughes doesn't strike me as one who suffers fools. You don't win three games in a week at this time of year in this league if you're carrying passengers. Rather than being a passenger, Rankin's played a key part in creating 5 of the 9 goals we've scored in that time (admittedly at fault for 1) and worked as tirelessly as anyone else.

As for 'its only St Mirren' comments. We'd lambast our players for having that attitude. We don't have any right to take any team lightly. No team does and that's one reason why Rangers are 10 points ahead of Celtic. St Mirren pressed and worked hard and could have easily been 2-0 up after 20 minutes.

The turning point for me today was in the 32nd minute. Hogg controlled a high ball well and passed to Murray. For the first time all game, the fans applauded and cheered. 20 seconds later Miller's scored and we're back in the game. Funny that.

Man, i am with you all the way! Unbelievably spot on! :top marks

You see everything i do. Finally met a Hibee with a little common sense!

I would like to congratulate Rankin on an OUTSTANDING performance today, as his work rate, and energy were constant. The lad makes alot of woeful passes at times, and he had a couple today. But if it weren't for him bursting a gut to get in the box, we may not have got that VITAL winner today.

I also like how you have actually looked at the positive side's of his game. He played a huge part in our winning goal at Celtic park too. So we can count that as 2 games in the space of a week, he's been very effective in critical moments.

KingFranck
30-01-2010, 11:03 PM
I don't get some Hibs fans - we are 3rd 2 points behind Celtic having the best season for years and still we have fans questioning team selection even worse having a go at players. Rankin is part of this team and contributes 100% every game, i'll admit he's not as good as Miller but that doesn't make him a bad player surely? I have seen some truly awful players at ER over the years and believe me Rankin isn't one of them.

Shrekko
30-01-2010, 11:35 PM
Boy !
The wanabee managers are out in force tonight !!!!!!!!!

Have you got a copyright on that phrase?

Must be difficult for you having to read OPINIONS on a football forum eh? You clearly think people who have different one's to you arent entitled to post.

As far as Rankin goes I actually think the stick he's getting at present is OTT. He takes too long to make up his mind and his decision making is poor, his passing is also erratic but his work-rate, attitude and commitment are without question.

You do tend to get the good, bad and the ugly from JR every game but he never hides and is always trying to be constructive.

What are the alternatives in the current squad?

-Zemmama has great ability but does he help the balance of the team? He can go missing when the going get's tough as well.

-Cregg? has done nothing to impose himself on any game he's played this season.

-Stevenson? darling of hibs.net but in truth a player of very limited ability who does little more than chase shadows, hack players and play sideways and backward passes.

JR is far from perfect but I think is currently worth his place and should be getting credit for the good stuff he does if he's going to be crucified for his shortcomings.

Saorsa
30-01-2010, 11:43 PM
]Have you got a copyright on that phrase?

Must be difficult for you having to read OPINIONS on a football forum eh? You clearly think people who have different one's to you arent entitled to post.[/B]

As far as Rankin goes I actually think the stick he's getting at present is OTT. He takes too long to make up his mind and his decision making is poor, his passing is also erratic but his work-rate, attitude and commitment are without question.

You do tend to get the good, bad and the ugly from JR every game but he never hides and is always trying to be constructive.

What are the alternatives in the current squad?

-Zemmama has great ability but does he help the balance of the team? He can go missing when the going get's tough as well.

-Cregg? has done nothing to impose himself on any game he's played this season.

-Stevenson? darling of hibs.net but in truth a player of very limited ability who does little more than chase shadows, hack players and play sideways and backward passes.

JR is far from perfect but I think is currently worth his place and should be getting credit for the good stuff he does if he's going to be crucified for his shortcomings.Aye but he's a better manager than you :rolleyes:

:wink: