PDA

View Full Version : Benji

down-the-slope
30-01-2010, 05:51 PM
Rather that talk about the obvious failings of a number of players today...thought I would mention Benji's positive contribution on a pitch that you would think would not suit him. Played several killer passes (including one for Murrays winner) and linked up well with team mates...and tried to with some who just weren't on the right wave length today. A great cross into the box for the 4th open header Nish had too.

Well done Benji :greengrin

PS the ER Pitch is a disgrace and its sad after years of training on muddy fields and playing on the perfect ER pitch...we are now training on superb pitches and facilities and playing on a tattie field....gives the advantage back to Hoof ball teams....Petrie...get it sorted :grr::grr:

MussyHibby
30-01-2010, 05:53 PM
Thought Benji looked sharp and contributed well ( for a change :wink: )

Pitch was poor but seen a lot worse. When you consider the constant rain last week, the frost, the uncertain conditions, I'd have a tendency to give the groundstaff the benefit of the doubt.

Billy Whizz
30-01-2010, 05:54 PM
Rather that talk about the obvious failings of a number of players today...thought I would mention Benji's positive contribution on a pitch that you would think would not suit him. Played several killer passes (including one for Murrays winner) and linked up well with team mates...and tried to with some who just weren't on the right wave length today. A great cross into the box for the 4th open header Nish had too.

PS the ER Pitch is a disgrace and its sad after years of training on muddy fields and playing on the perfect ER pitch...we are now training on superb pitches and facilities and playing on a tattie field....gives the advantage back to Hoof ball teams....Petrie...get it sorted :grr::grr:

I agree. Well done Benji.

BoltonHibee
30-01-2010, 05:55 PM

Spot on with your observations:agree:

Mikeystewart
30-01-2010, 05:56 PM
Thought we played well other than Riordan and not taking chances , i can feel unreasonable expectations on this board rising :greengrin

the_ginger_hibee
30-01-2010, 05:56 PM
Anyone think he should start over Nish :dunno:?

(No need to answer Bolton Hibee:wink::thumbsup:)

Wotherspiniesta
30-01-2010, 05:57 PM

I thought Benji was quite good when he came on, but taking Stokes off for him was rather baffling considering Riordan and Nish were having a nightmare.

You're right mate, the pitch is a joke.
Hughes wants his side to play passing football but its quite hard when the ball is just bobbling about like mad. The players couldn't even dribble with the ball today, it was that unpredictable.

BoltonHibee
30-01-2010, 06:03 PM

:tee hee:

down-the-slope
30-01-2010, 06:10 PM

Its always easier to come on an make a telling contribution when other players are tiring on a heavy pitch - like today when without that sub we may not have got the win - than it is to influence a game from the start.

Just need to trust Yogi to know when to give him another start - but its positive to see him looking part of the squad and contrabuting (he was having a wee competition and banter shooting with Cregg during warm up)

the_ginger_hibee
30-01-2010, 06:16 PM
Its always easier to come on an make a telling contribution when other players are tiring on a heavy pitch - like today when without that sub we may not have got the win - than it is to influence a game from the start.

Just need to trust Yogi to know when to give him another start - but its positive to see him looking part of the squad and contrabuting (he was having a wee competition and banter shooting with Cregg during warm up)

Defo. I wasn't at the game so was genuinely asking, no matter what, in yogi we trust and the quality of our 2nd string squad could match a lot of teams in the league, such an encouraging sign :thumbsup:

woody47
30-01-2010, 06:25 PM
He was very good when he came on but I couldn't believe it was for Stokes. Nish was having an absolute nightmare so it should have been him that was hooked.
However, glad Benji came did on and showed that he still has good control and defenders find it difficult to get the ball off him.
Well done Benji. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

hibsbollah
30-01-2010, 06:43 PM
Benji also looked good when he came on against the Huns, forced a great save and looks very sharp for the weight he's lost. A great option coming off the bench:agree: (already won the St Mirren and Killie games for us)

Craig_in_Prague
30-01-2010, 06:47 PM
I think Nish is getting a bit of a hard time,

he made some decent runs in the box to get a few shots on goal, a coule of headers, hit post 1st half etc, he did have some bad play, but also showed some guts to get into positions and put his head on things etc.

Stokes was quiet, maybe not his fault coz of poor service, but Riordan was rotten.

Not a fan of Nish BTW, but think he is getting a little bit of a hard time on here.

Benji looked ok and made some nice passes, and i would like to see him more involved and getting more game time, same with Galbraith.
Nice to know we are a whole lot more than just Derek Riordan, but by god i would like more from him too.

steakbake
30-01-2010, 06:50 PM

We won. It wasn't gallus but we got there. What more do folks want?

NORTHERNHIBBY
30-01-2010, 08:34 PM
Have to admit that the swap for Benji was not what i was hoping for. Later in the game we were getting a bit of joy wide right and I thought that we could do with a body in there with a bit of pace and control. That said, the linesman there did not have a very good day at all so playing more in that area may have been a waste of time. :coffee:

bethebest
30-01-2010, 08:50 PM
Fantastic Benji.

Getting it right up the bawbags who booed him when he cam on.

Good son!

sadtom
30-01-2010, 09:33 PM
Benji controlled the ball with his first touch more times in his short cameo than the other 3 managed in the entire game. Well done son, now when you get a chance lets see you do it for the full 90 mins.
The other 3 were poor, although i felt Stokes was the least poor of the 3, thought he ran the channels quite well.
Deek was simply woeful. Its been said that Deek works much harder than he used to. That may be true but he still works half as hard as any other member of the team. I agree that he is better through the middle but he needs to graftt much, much more than he does.

Still, a great 3 points - onwards and upwards.

Toaods
30-01-2010, 10:04 PM
Benji's 'eye of a needle' pass through to Deek was best pass of the game for me.

hibsbollah
30-01-2010, 11:19 PM
Benji's 'eye of a needle' pass through to Deek was best pass of the game for me.

I thought the same about the huns game. Backheeled 20-yarder right into Wotherspoons' path when he was tightly marked:top marks Needs a run of games now.

Ravelston Hibby
31-01-2010, 01:18 AM
I think Nish is getting a bit of a hard time,

he made some decent runs in the box to get a few shots on goal, a coule of headers, hit post 1st half etc, he did have some bad play, but also showed some guts to get into positions and put his head on things etc.

Stokes was quiet, maybe not his fault coz of poor service, but Riordan was rotten.

Not a fan of Nish BTW, but think he is getting a little bit of a hard time on here.

Benji looked ok and made some nice passes, and i would like to see him more involved and getting more game time, same with Galbraith.
Nice to know we are a whole lot more than just Derek Riordan, but by god i would like more from him too.

Derek had an absolute NIGHTMARE today!!!!:dizzy:

keep the faith
31-01-2010, 10:36 AM
Benji's skill and precision changed the game when he came on. Great to see.

How Nish remained on the park was beyond me though.

Incidently, the Sunday Herald has Nish as the man of the match!!!!! What game was the weegie rag at??

Ireallywasthere
31-01-2010, 11:32 AM
As has the Sunday Times

blackpoolhibs
31-01-2010, 11:36 AM
I was told after the game, that Stokes was injured, thats why Benji came on for him. Does anyone know if this is true?

Hibbyradge
31-01-2010, 12:00 PM
I was told after the game, that Stokes was injured, thats why Benji came on for him. Does anyone know if this is true?

It looked that way. He went straight up the tunnel although I didn't see him limping.

John thought he was off to Glasgow to sign for ra sellick.

Fortunately, he came back on to congratulate his team mates at the end. :thumbsup:

blackpoolhibs
31-01-2010, 12:09 PM
It looked that way. He went straight up the tunnel although I didn't see him limping.

John thought he was off to Glasgow to sign for ra sellick.

Fortunately, he came back on to congratulate his team mates at the end. :thumbsup:

I never noticed that, i was way too involved in creating an atmosphere in the east. I hope its not a bad one, and having Montrose next week, should be easy enough to leave him out to recover.

ChrissyG1875
31-01-2010, 12:10 PM
I don't know where all the Nish criticism is coming from, he was certanly my MOTM!!!

Hibernating (Im a stoopid yam tramp)
31-01-2010, 12:13 PM

Bout time he had a go up front with Stokes. Montrose the ideal start!

:agree: