PDA

View Full Version : Hibs sign Mark Brown (not Greggs)

7Hero
30-01-2010, 04:12 PM
weve signed mark brown til 2012.

has this been posted already, just noticed it on the hibs website.

YehButNoBut
30-01-2010, 04:13 PM
Welcome to Hibs Mark that is 2 top class goalies we have now, I take it Maka will be on his way now.

http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20100130/-mark-brown-signs-_2262950_1949981 (http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20100130/-mark-brown-signs-_2262950_1949981)

SRHibs
30-01-2010, 04:13 PM
Don't think it has. Can't believe no-one noticed tbh.:greengrin
I guess Green Armyyy was right then.

http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20100130/-mark-brown-signs-_2262950_1949981

Pedantic_Hibee
30-01-2010, 04:15 PM
Stack, Smith and Brown........**** yes!!! :thumbsup:

lapsedhibee
30-01-2010, 04:17 PM
What do we need him for? :dunno:

Dashing Bob S
30-01-2010, 04:18 PM
Still think we need more keepers.

YehButNoBut
30-01-2010, 04:19 PM

Stack got a bad injury, may not be able to play again, Maka's had enough chances and will probably be on his way.

Smith doing well but how long is he signed for??

Pretty Boy

Maka away at the end of the season. Stack apparently injured long term. Flynn not quite ready.

Seems fairly logical to me.

hibsbollah
We're just showing off now:grr:

Hainan Hibs
A nice finishing touch to a Carlsberg Saturday:thumbsup:

NOLA
30-01-2010, 04:21 PM
waste of a wage IMO,

nonshinyfinish
30-01-2010, 04:24 PM
Presumably means Maka is away, but does it also mean that Smith won't be here long? :dunno:

Billychaotic182
30-01-2010, 04:24 PM
Flynn Maka Stack Smith and Brown......... offt!

Pretty Boy
30-01-2010, 04:26 PM
Flynn Maka Stack Smith and Brown......... offt!

Flynn- Not ready.
Maka- Almost certain to go at the end of the season
Stack- Long term injury
Smith- First choice
Brown- back up, real challenge to Smith for the gloves.

Makes sense to me.

KWJ
30-01-2010, 04:27 PM
We've now got arguably the 3rd and 4th best Scottish keepers. Brilliant.

We're becoming the OF and signing players just so they don't play against us :greengrin

heh. Signals the end for Maka for sure. Had we waited until the summer we may not have had the opportunity to sign Brown so great move in my book.

Tonez
30-01-2010, 04:27 PM
I did hear a story that Stack will not play again. :confused:

Maybe why Yogi has signed another keeper

Scooter
30-01-2010, 04:28 PM
will he be the last.

i dont think he will. i think theres more to come. just a hunch

Andy74
30-01-2010, 04:28 PM
Quality signing. Is this the way wee teams are supposed to work? Oh, and bye Maka!

Billychaotic182
30-01-2010, 04:29 PM
I did hear a story that Stack will not play again. :confused:

Maybe why Yogi has signed another keeper

what?!

poolman
30-01-2010, 04:30 PM
Stack got a bad injury, may not be able to play again, Maka's had enough chances and will probably be on his way.

:agree:Think that Stack's finished now otherwise Yogi would not have signed Brown

We now have two top class keepers competing for number 1 spot

When was the last time we could say that

Yogi :not worth

I didn't include Maka as one of the two

Andy74
30-01-2010, 04:33 PM
I think stack will play again and Hughes has said time and sgain he wanted three first team keepers. Makes sense. Didn't expect three top drawer ones though!

mayo hibee
30-01-2010, 04:36 PM
I've never felt so underwhelmed by such a high quality signing. Brown's a top keeper, but if and when Stack's back fit, we're never going to keep them all happy.

We've had five years of rubbish keepers and it feels like we're now over-compensating to make up for it.

Anyway, good luck Mark, and best wishes for the future Yves...

Andy74
30-01-2010, 04:40 PM
I've never felt so underwhelmed by such a high quality signing. Brown's a top keeper, but if and when Stack's back fit, we're never going to keep them all happy.

We've had five years of rubbish keepers and it feels like we're now over-compensating to make up for it.

Anyway, good luck Mark, and best wishes for the future Yves...
If any of them aren't happy it means one or more of them have been outstanding so hibs win all round.

mayo hibee
30-01-2010, 04:53 PM
If any of them aren't happy it means one or more of them have been outstanding so hibs win all round.

Fair point, I just hope it's not a case of signing a load of keepers and then giving IM a derisory contract offer that causes him to walk away at the end of the season.

If we can have our cake and eat it though, fair enough :thumbsup:

CropleyWasGod
30-01-2010, 04:59 PM
Great.... more competition for Maka.

(dictated by HibsSpain and signed in his absence).

Ritchie
30-01-2010, 05:06 PM
a wee birdie told me stack's been a naughty boy......

smurf
30-01-2010, 05:11 PM

I reckon Stack is joining Maka out the door.

Smith, Brown and Stack are all at similar stages in their careers. All at stages where they need first team football.

I don't think we'd have signed Brown if Stack was going to be part of the picture and i don't think Brown would have signed either....

EasterRoad4Ever
30-01-2010, 05:24 PM
brilliant signing. 2 decent keepers at ER :thumbsup:

--------
30-01-2010, 05:27 PM

Smith, Brown and Stack are all at similar stages in their careers. All at stages where they need first team football.

I don't think we'd have signed Brown if Stack was going to be part of the picture and i don't think Brown would have signed either....

As of Wednesday evening we had Graeme Smith and Maka - GS wasn't fit ad Flynn isn't ready. Now we have three keepers fit and available.

Smith is in good form, palying well. Brown has all the credentials, and Yogi and Maka can sort out whether Maka's going to stay, go, whatever, between now and the end of the season without affecting the team in any way ....

BEEJ
30-01-2010, 05:32 PM

:agree:

sahib
30-01-2010, 05:36 PM

It is the only theory that makes any sense. Otherwise it smacks of real insecurity on Yogi's part.

Craig_in_Prague
30-01-2010, 05:39 PM
Strange news this.

I really liked Stack, and hope for his sake that he can get back playing football.

I cant imagine though that he will be fine, coz Smith looks like he is not going to lose the jersey through performances, and Stack is too good to not even be on the bench.

Good, but sad news too, i guess :confused:

lapsedhibee
30-01-2010, 05:52 PM

Maka away at the end of the season. Stack apparently injured long term. Flynn not quite ready.

Seems fairly logical to me.

Oi! Where's the rhetorical question smiley? :grr:

Just been to see yogi and he told me that Hibs have signed a player at 5 oclock tonight and it wont be getting released to the press till later, he also said that when we find out we will say: what the hell do we need him for, so i dont see it being the right back we need. any ideas?

Hibby K
30-01-2010, 05:52 PM
Did anyone else think that Maka was going to come on as a sub for the last couple of minutes today to say farewell to the fans?
He was getting a proper warm up at half time, had his jersey all ready to put on and spent most of the second half talking to Yogi while on the bench, just that St Mirren chose to ruin the script by taking us to the last minute.

MontrealHibs
30-01-2010, 05:53 PM

Heard he's been more than working out at the Gym?

aberhibsfc
30-01-2010, 06:10 PM
Good signing, just hope there are one or two more gems in the net for 5pm Monday.

We'll need to ask trawlermen, but I can still fish.

Fifer
30-01-2010, 06:20 PM
weve signed mark brown til 2012.

has this been posted already, just noticed it on the hibs website.
Wellcome to the Hibs Family Mark.

Spike Mandela
30-01-2010, 06:26 PM
So Yogi has basically used this window to keep maka as far away from the first team as possible

You can only play one of the new goalies so it's like buying a sub instead of a player to strengthen the first team, if you know what I mean , pity.

BBC announced it as some 'sensational' signing news from Hibs.:confused: Hardly earth shattering is it.

Andy74
30-01-2010, 06:29 PM
So Yogi has basically used this window to keep maka as far away from the first team as possible

You can only play one of the new goalies so it's like buying a sub instead of a player to strengthen the first team, if you know what I mean , pity.

BBC announced it as some 'sensational' signing news from Hibs.:confused: Hardly earth shattering is it.

It's an outstanding signing and real statement of intent that players like this will come to the club and fight it out for a place. A year ago I'd have doubted guys like this would come to be first choice!

Think back to the Huns game to why we need three keepers!

shamo9

Hibs now have 3 good goalkeepers... sounds pretty earth shattering to me :greengrin

weecounty hibby

Who stole your sweeties Spike. Yogi is looking to the future if the stories about Stacks injury are true. I think it is a good signing. Hope there may be more over the next couple of days, need to wait and see. You always were a pessimistic barsteward.

Spike Mandela
30-01-2010, 06:32 PM
Who stole your sweeties Spike. Yogi is looking to the future if the stories about Stacks injury are true. I think it is a good signing. Hope there may be more over the next couple of days, need to wait and see. You always were a pessimistic barsteward.

Two goalies in a transfer window is quite unusual don't ya think?

You know me I always appreciate the more gifted attacking players whilst you preferrred the dour, ugly defensive types:wink:

PaulSmith
30-01-2010, 06:36 PM

Very poor and short sighted post IMO. As a club we need to strengthen in every area, we now have two top class proven spl keepers, unthinkable 6 weeks ago. If Hughes has taken the opportunity to sign Brown then I'm delighted, I also have no doubt that he is trying desperatly to strenghten others areas.
Superb signing to an already strong squad, things right now are looking very good.

Spike Mandela
30-01-2010, 06:41 PM
Very poor and short sighted post IMO. As a club we need to strengthen in every area, we now have two top class proven spl keepers, unthinkable 6 weeks ago. If Hughes has taken the opportunity to sign Brown then I'm delighted, I also have no doubt that he is trying desperatly to strenghten others areas.
Superb signing to an already strong squad, things right now are looking very good.

Get your point mate but I'd rather have a RB, a CH or another midfielder than a sub goalie is all I was trying to say as I have a feeling (having missed out on Barr) that this concludes our dealings for this window.

Hope I'm wrong.

weecounty hibby
30-01-2010, 06:44 PM
Hope I'm wrong.[/QUOTE]
Having known you for 20+ years this is a distinct possibility:wink:

WhileTheChief..
30-01-2010, 06:47 PM
27/1/2010

Celtic 1 v Hibs 2

Hibernian: Smith, Hogg, Murray, Wotherspoon, Hanlon, Miller, McBride, Rankin, Riordan, Nish, Stokes.

24/01/2009

Celtic 3 v Hibs 1

Hibernian: Szamotulski, Thicot, Hogg, Jones, McCormack, Stevenson, Rankin, Bamba, Fletcher, Nish, Riordan.

Happy to trust Yogi :thumbsup:

Love the Green
30-01-2010, 07:29 PM
What a disgrace today the overall performance, tactics system and subs were pathetic and we go and sign a new keeper..a position he has just strenghtened..we are crying out for a pacy forward to create for stokes and a front man who can hold up the ball and have a physical presence and a RB..yet we sign another keepre are we playing them all next week/

shocking shambles...and by the way I love this CLUB AND FOLLOW HOME AND AWAY

"keep the faith":wink:

Greenblood70
30-01-2010, 07:38 PM
Great news afaic, Yogi has stated he wanted to solve the goalkeeping fiascos we've had in recent seasons.

Job done.

(hoping the news on Stack isn't as bad as some on here have mentined tho' as he did a decent job and I'd like to see him competing for a place again as he seemed like a good bloke to have in the dressing room.).

As for Maka, he needs a new club, lovely bloke but gaffe prone and in the final assessment unfortunately too unreliable for me.

Gatecrasher
30-01-2010, 09:18 PM
Heard this on the radio on the way home from the game

good news IMO

As most I think maka is on the way out the only question mark is stack, he's not done much wrong, maybe his injury is worse than being made out? Or 3 first team keepers next season which would be too much IMO

iwasthere1972
30-01-2010, 09:28 PM
will he be the last.

i dont think he will. i think theres more to come. just a hunch

We've signed some pash goalies in recent times but please don't tell me we're now signing one with a hunch. How will he get up when he falls on his back? Or does he just rock himself to sleep.

Answers on a postcard.

PaulSmith
30-01-2010, 10:04 PM
What a disgrace today the overall performance, tactics system and subs were pathetic and we go and sign a new keeper..a position he has just strenghtened..we are crying out for a pacy forward to create for stokes and a front man who can hold up the ball and have a physical presence and a RB..yet we sign another keepre are we playing them all next week/

confused.com presume your just at it?

ScottB
30-01-2010, 10:35 PM
Great signing for me, been wanting him to come here for years!

Effectively until his signing we had only one keeper available that the manager had any faith in (Smith) should anything have happened to him we'd be left with Maka, whose confidence is shot to pieces, and Flynn, who Yogi doesn't seem to want to play yet (that being the case he needs to go back to the under 19's or off on loan) Stack, if he is staying could well be out of action long term, so baring that in mind, who here would be confident to continue the chase for second and the holy grail with only Maka is a backup for Smith?

Not me.

I'm sure Brown was aware of the situation when he signed, so I don't see any problems on that score. This sends a message to our competition as to how serious we are.

And we have now destroyed the medias 2 stock Hibs stories! 'Hibs are skint' and 'Hibs have crap keepers' seem a little daft now! :greengrin

Ravelston Hibby
31-01-2010, 12:40 AM

You really are having a laugh, eh??!!

RickyS
31-01-2010, 01:27 AM
a few Yam comments on our new keeper!

Mark Brown.

Must be the end of the road for sex pest or big Maka the clown.

They can sign whoever they want but the fact remains that Hobo keepers will always cack their pants at the sight of a maroon shirt.

They can cack away, cos if we only get one shot on target, we are hardly going to be bothering them are we. Smith and Brown are two proven SPL keepers, unlike the clowns they have had before

Another keeper about to become a Heart of Midlothian Football Club legend

excellent signing for them. bit of a sore one really...

Sandy
31-01-2010, 05:21 AM
FFS I can't believe some on here are moaning about us signing a top class SPL proven keeper, Brown knows what the situation is re squad placings, he wouldn't have come otherwise. Some of us Hibs fans are a bunch of pessimistic moaning faced gits.

End Of.

Gatecrasher
31-01-2010, 09:14 AM
FFS I can't believe some on here are moaning about us signing a top class SPL proven keeper, Brown knows what the situation is re squad placings, he wouldn't have come otherwise. Some of us Hibs fans are a bunch of pessimistic moaning faced gits.

End Of.

:top marks

Part/Time Supporter
31-01-2010, 09:25 AM
Great signing for me, been wanting him to come here for years!

Effectively until his signing we had only one keeper available that the manager had any faith in (Smith) should anything have happened to him we'd be left with Maka, whose confidence is shot to pieces, and Flynn, who Yogi doesn't seem to want to play yet (that being the case he needs to go back to the under 19's or off on loan) Stack, if he is staying could well be out of action long term, so baring that in mind, who here would be confident to continue the chase for second and the holy grail with only Maka is a backup for Smith?

Not me.

I'm sure Brown was aware of the situation when he signed, so I don't see any problems on that score. This sends a message to our competition as to how serious we are.

And we have now destroyed the medias 2 stock Hibs stories! 'Hibs are skint' and 'Hibs have crap keepers' seem a little daft now! :greengrin

Collins (for Hibs) and Yogi (for Falkirk) wanted to sign him when he left Inverness for Celtic.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/i/inverness_ct/6273101.stm

matty_f
31-01-2010, 09:25 AM
A good signing that, along with the other keepers at the club,will hopefully raise the bar of what's expected from a Hibs keeper for years to come.

Spike Mandela
31-01-2010, 09:28 AM

End Of.

Nobody appears to be saying he's a bad signing just questioning whether it's an absolutely necessary signing for the team at this time when other areas may need strengthened:confused:

He has plenty experience with ICT but maybe we should see him play before declaring him top class.

J-C
31-01-2010, 09:34 AM
Nobody appears to be saying he's a bad signing just questioning whether it's an absolutely necessary signing for the team at this time when other areas may need strengthened:confused:

He has plenty experience with ICT but maybe we should see him play before declaring him top class.

As already been said, Stack has disc problems which may put him out of the game, Maka has had several chances in the past 2 years and as yet hasn't taken them, so adding a good decent keeper is seen as necessary to challenge for the no.1 jersey.

What a difference having a manager who actually sees where the team needs strengthened and does something about it. :greengrin

BEEJ
31-01-2010, 09:37 AM

What does not seem apparent to us at the moment might well become more obvious with the passing of another week or so.

Part/Time Supporter
31-01-2010, 09:42 AM

Scenario: Hibs in a Scottish Cup match (later stages thereof). Smith is picked, but Stack is still out injured. Maka is on the bench. Smith is injured early in the match and has to be substituted.

Confident?

:wink:

keep the faith
31-01-2010, 09:44 AM
I know we are all assuming Maka or Stack is out the door (or both) but Im more worried that Smith is on a short contract and wont be here long.

I am very very impressed by Smith so far and really hope he is not just a short term thing. He seems really up for it too and seems to be enjoying himself and forming a great relationship with the fans.

Anyone know how long his contract is?

Part/Time Supporter
31-01-2010, 09:46 AM
I know we are all assuming Maka or Stack is out the door (or both) but Im more worried that Smith is on a short contract and wont be here long.

I am very very impressed by Smith so far and really hope he is not just a short term thing. He seems really up for it too and seems to be enjoying himself and forming a great relationship with the fans.

Anyone know how long his contract is?

end of next season

Spike Mandela
31-01-2010, 09:50 AM
As already been said, Stack has disc problems which may put him out of the game, Maka has had several chances in the past 2 years and as yet hasn't taken them, so adding a good decent keeper is seen as necessary to challenge for the no.1 jersey.

What a difference having a manager who actually sees where the team needs strengthened and does something about it. :greengrin

Yeah I can see the logic if indeed Stack is long term injury(as yet unofficial), Maka is to be released and Flynn is not ready.

However, two top earning goalies being signed is a major wage drain on a club like Hibs especially by definition at least one of them is gauranteed to be on the bench.

It would be a shame if this came at the expense of strengthening outfield positions IMO.

Spike Mandela
31-01-2010, 09:54 AM
Scenario: Hibs in a Scottish Cup match (later stages thereof). Smith is picked, but Stack is still out injured. Maka is on the bench. Smith is injured early in the match and has to be substituted.

Confident?

:wink:

Have you read our history? I am not confident under any scenario in the Scottish Cup:wink::greengrin

ScottB
31-01-2010, 09:59 AM
Yeah I can see the logic if indeed Stack is long term injury(as yet unofficial), Maka is to be released and Flynn is not ready.

However, two top earning goalies being signed is a major wage drain on a club like Hibs especially by definition at least one of them is gauranteed to be on the bench.

It would be a shame if this came at the expense of strengthening outfield positions IMO.

Unless we get any evidence to the contrary, I wouldn't assume the signing of Mark Brown will have come at the expense of any other targets. Nor is assuming him to be a 'major wage drain' seeing as we don't know what he's on or how much space there is in the wage budget.

If we are serious about competing at the top end of the league and trying to win cups, we need 2 quality keepers, Stack is likely a long way from full fitness, if he ever gets back to that stage, so we were looking at at least the rest of this season with just Smith. I think we'd all rather be discussing why Mark Brown hadn't had many games in May as we reflect on our Euro spot than be cursing coming 4th after having to play Maka / Flynn if Smith got injured!

J-C
31-01-2010, 11:16 AM

I think the wage structure at ER doesn't allow anyone to be a wage strain on the club, so there's no worries there then.
I would've thought that having a couple of decent class keepers at the club would mean whoever has the no.1 jersey would have to keep playing at a very good level to keep it.

basehibby
31-01-2010, 11:40 AM
Maka looked a pretty dejected figure on the bench yesterday and this explains why. All the best to Maka wherever he ends up as it looks like game over for him at ER.

Welcome to Hibs Mark Brown :thumbsup:

Silver Fox
31-01-2010, 11:59 AM
Collins (for Hibs) and Yogi (for Falkirk) wanted to sign him when he left Inverness for Celtic.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/i/inverness_ct/6273101.stm

Pretty sure Yogi tried to get him in the summer, prior to signing Stack, Mowbray playing hardball with us then, saying he wasn't available on loan, sale only, before strangely changing his pov and allowing him to join Killie on loan.

Still he's here now though! :thumbsup:

EDIT; http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/celtic/8138538.stm