PDA

View Full Version : NHC Togo fined & banned from next two African Cup of Nations

Austinho
30-01-2010, 04:08 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/africa/8489127.stm

For pulling out after the coach shooting.

7Hero
30-01-2010, 04:16 PM
only in africa

NOLA
30-01-2010, 04:18 PM
think uefa might step in here and overule this decision, Crazy

Gus
30-01-2010, 04:21 PM
This has to be over ruled, whoever made this decision deserves to be shot (sorry in bad taste)

nonshinyfinish
30-01-2010, 04:21 PM
think uefa might step in here and overule this decision, Crazy

FIFA surely, what power would UEFA have?

Absolutely mental decision.

Billychaotic182
30-01-2010, 04:23 PM
that is **** shockin!

Westie1875
30-01-2010, 04:25 PM
That is a disgusting decision, :bitchy: the rest of the teams should refuse to take part unless it is overuled. No teams = no tournament.

Sir David Gray
30-01-2010, 04:53 PM
That is ridiculous.

They're saying that they imposed the ban because the Togolese government were the ones that said the team had to withdraw and that the players were willing to return to Angola and play. They CAF said that they do not allow government interference in any way.

A wee bit different when the whole team had just been ambushed, and shot at, by terrorists and had witnessed the murder of three people.

I would imagine that playing a couple of football matches might have been one of the last things on the players' minds after all that.

CropleyWasGod
30-01-2010, 04:56 PM
That is ridiculous.

. They CAF said that they do not allow government interference in any way.

As I understand it, that is a fundamental concept for UEFA and FIFA too. There was a case not that long ago where Greece were threatened with a ban for interfering with the Greek FA.

Sir David Gray
30-01-2010, 05:03 PM
As I understand it, that is a fundamental concept for UEFA and FIFA too. There was a case not that long ago where Greece were threatened with a ban for interfering with the Greek FA.

I can understand it for normal, run-of-the-mill things (I can't think on any examples at the moment but you know what I mean) but I just think that a little bit of leeway should have been afforded to Togo after what their players had gone through.

CropleyWasGod
30-01-2010, 05:05 PM
I can understand it for normal, run-of-the-mill things (I can't think on any examples at the moment but you know what I mean) but I just think that a little bit of leeway should have been afforded to Togo after what their players had gone through.

But, if what you said earlier was right, they wanted to play. They didn't stand up to the Government. THAT was their failing, not the fact that they didn't play.

stubru59
30-01-2010, 05:09 PM
only in africa

Are you sure the SFA did not have a hand in this? Got their fingerprints written all over it.

givescotlandfreedom
30-01-2010, 05:11 PM
Disgusting

CallumHibs07
30-01-2010, 05:14 PM
only in africa
The African Cup of Nations does tend to be in Africa, for some reason.:wink:

woody47
30-01-2010, 05:42 PM
An absolute disgrace. The rest of the world should boycott all TV coverage of their future games until this is rescinded. Makes you wonder, IMO, just how much corruption is over there. :bitchy:

judas
30-01-2010, 05:51 PM

For pulling out after the coach shooting.

Absurd.

Seems life really is cheap in Africa.

hibsdaft
30-01-2010, 06:01 PM
bonkers

--------
30-01-2010, 06:33 PM
IIRC All the teams were told that in view of the dodgy situation in that part of Angola and the risk of terrorist action, they should all FLY in.

Togo decided to come in by team coach, against advice and instructions. If they were being hauled up for that, I could just about see the point.

The players expressed willingness to play, but were forced to withdraw by their government the day they were scheduled to play their first game.

It's difficult to see what else the players and back-up staff could do but withdraw, so I suppose that this ban is to dissuade other governements from putting similar pressure on their teams in the future.

HOWEVER....

The 'wisdom' of the decision of the CAF to hold the tournament in Angola, and of the decision of Angola to hold matches in the enclave of Cabinda (which is more or less a war zone) needs to be scrutinised.

The problem for the Togolese is that the tournament continued without further trouble; the players who had said they were ready to play could have played quite safely, so in a way their withdrawl was proved to be unnecessary in the long run.

MWHIBBIES
30-01-2010, 06:59 PM
This is a shambles,imagen all the young togo players that will not get a chance to play in the acn.

Andy74
30-01-2010, 07:32 PM
Sorry but I agree with the decision. Much dodginess in the background I feel. The team wanted to play and the politicians got involved. Not acceptable to FIFA and that's fair enough.

frazeHFC
30-01-2010, 07:34 PM
That's a joke, how would they possible carry on when that traumatised :bitchy:

Wull
30-01-2010, 07:45 PM
ya well Africa is Africa are you surprised, just about sums up African mentality:grr:

Hakim Sar
30-01-2010, 10:17 PM
If this was the sfa they would ban togo and expel them from the tournament

Then they would agree to hear an appeal

The appeal would be presented to a panel of ex headmasters, librarians and ex old firm players

Togo would be immediately reinstated and awarded the championship for next 10 years as a way of apology for punishing them so severely first time around

Angola would then be banned and fined 400 quid for not stopping the atrocity - but immediately reinstated after it is revealed that Togo had failed to include the minimum of two u21 players on the coach at the time of the attack

Bobby williamson would then write a column saying that Uganda is rubbish - probably in the sun

Saorsa
30-01-2010, 10:21 PM

For pulling out after the coach shooting.Seems like the SFA arenae the only fannies on the planet when it comes tae fitba.