PDA

View Full Version : Our Defence

Baader
29-01-2010, 03:17 PM
Currently, we have the second meanest defence in the SPL having let in 18 goals, only Rangers have conceded less. Dons are close with 19.

Given the state of our defence in recent years and keeper issues that have haunted us for too long, I don't think Yogi and BR have received enough credit in the media for turning this stat around in such a short space of time. We were supposed to fall apart after Big Rob left and we didn't bring anyone in. It's still a work in progress but shows you the difference proper defensive coaching makes.

:thumbsup:

Fifer
29-01-2010, 03:30 PM
Currently, we have the second meanest defence in the SPL having let in 18 goals, only Rangers have conceded less. Dons are close with 19.

Given the state of our defence in recent years and keeper issues that have haunted us for too long, I don't think Yogi and BR have received enough credit in the media for turning this stat around in such a short space of time. We were supposed to fall apart after Big Rob left and we didn't bring anyone in. It's still a work in progress but shows you the difference proper defensive coaching makes.

:top marks

blackpoolhibs
29-01-2010, 03:32 PM
I dont think they get enough praise anyway, so it will be no surprise that i agree with you 100%.

jacques_b
29-01-2010, 03:56 PM
Earlier in the season we were the meanest defence in Britain (with Rangers and Leeds) with only 10 goals conceded so it's not been too bad. Especially with this Boss Hogg character that everyone seems to rate so poorly.

MacBean
29-01-2010, 04:31 PM
I think i am right in saying that only Newcastle Rangers and Chelsea have conceeded less

KWJ
29-01-2010, 05:12 PM
The Rangers blip gave it quite a beating too. Maybe if we had Smith or Stack between the sticks for that one...

Definitely think it shows the Hogg bashers are a bit too harsh. Top marks to DW for it not being his position & it's his first season.

Also think a solid midfield being present with Rankin, Miller & McBride is doing it's job as well as the likes of Deek doing more running back.

Allant1981
29-01-2010, 06:22 PM
Played well against celtic, for all the talk abut people taking caddis in a flash, I have to say I wasnt impressed and cant say id drop anyone for him, backup player maybe but defo not a starter

Mibbes Aye
30-01-2010, 08:45 PM

For all the focus on our keepers and the negative talk about our defence, the stats tell a different story. From memory, our defence has outperformed the team as a whole over the last few years (i.e. we would be placed higher or better for 'goals conceded' than we were for actual points gained). Maka had a decent return of shut-outs when in goals, best or equal best outwith the OF in a couple of seasons IIRC.

A lot of that IMO was down to a decent and consistent central pairing in Hogg and Jones. I was never trusting of Rob's abilities to play an on-the-deck game but he and Hogg, along with Murph, Whitts, DVZ, Ian Murray etc etc all contributed to us maintaining top six finishes through the turbulence of the Collins/Paataleinen years. We may have been wayward since (before even?) the CIS win but to my mind it wasn't necessarily the defence's fault.

That notwithstanding, the defence looks to have improved again. All involved can take credit, especially given the changes in tactics. And players like McBride make you wonder what we did before they arrived.