PDA

View Full Version : First game tomorrow

WeAreHibs
29-01-2010, 09:33 AM
I'm taking my nephew, who'd nearly 6, to his first game tomorrow. :thumbsup: Got tickets for FF.

Any tips or advice ?

I'm hoping he makes it to half time so I can get him a hot dog and keep him interested for as much of the second half as possible.

Looking forward to bringing him up in the faith!

davemcbain
29-01-2010, 09:42 AM
Buy him a program - it's shiney and there's lots of pictures.
Be prepared for lots of very daft questions.
Sit near the end of a row if poss - toilet breaks!

Oh maybe ok at six, but little-uns can get a bit afraid with the noise when a goal goes in...be prepared to pick him up and bounce for joy. Quick way to make them associate the noise with a good thing.

But most of all enjoy the look on his face when we score.

Hibbyradge
29-01-2010, 09:48 AM
Things he should know;

1. Sitting on his own in a locked car outside the Four in Hand (or other licensed establishment of your choice) for an hour before and after the game is all part of the rich Hibees tradition.

2. The Hot dogs and Pizzas at Easter Road have all got bogies on them

3. It's bad luck if someone who is not part of the immediate family buys him Hibernian clothing or other memorabilia.

4. Although he owes you, erm, £15 for his ticket to the game, you'll generously let him off with the petrol money for home games.

(See the post immediately below this for an example what can go horribly wrong if my advice is not followed.)

CallumLaidlaw
29-01-2010, 09:49 AM
yeah, I'm taking my stepson to his first PROPER game tomorrow. I took him to the dunfermline friendly in the summer.
He is 5 in two weeks, and he seemed ok.
He has a new hibs scarf and hat, and we are going to behind the goals before the game. I've told him we can go to the club shop before the game and he can pick something, and he is looking forward to Pizza at half time.
He was a little upset when hibs scored the first goal, so I will be keeping an eye on that tomorrow
Let the brainwashing begin :greengrin

Bristolhibby
29-01-2010, 01:16 PM
My boy is only 15 months old, so a few years before we take him.

But my Dad and I have already begun the brainwashing process. Hibs kits, songs, etc.

Looking forward to his first game. We had a pet project when my cousin was little. Started taking him when he was about 7. He is now 17 and goes to the games with his pals now. Job done.

Not bad considering we live down in the West-Country.

J

MacBean
29-01-2010, 01:27 PM
Take a flag :wink:

or buy one :greengrin

gilliecabbage
29-01-2010, 01:29 PM
My boy is only 15 months old, so a few years before we take him.

But my Dad and I have already begun the brainwashing process. Hibs kits, songs, etc.

Looking forward to his first game. We had a pet project when my cousin was little. Started taking him when he was about 7. He is now 17 and goes to the games with his pals now. Job done.

Not bad considering we live down in the West-Country.

J
i took my son 2 his first game when he was 2.hes 5 now.been to ibrox hampden tynie tanadice dens park and starks park. get them started young!!!

WeAreHibs
29-01-2010, 01:32 PM
Take a flag :wink:

or buy one :greengrin

Nah, dont fancy him pissing someone off and me being the defensive uncle.

Nice comments though guys, I'm so excited to take him.

:notworthy:

cwilliamson85
29-01-2010, 01:36 PM
Best thing to do is as soon as we score lift him up as can be very scary for a small child to be surrounded by jumping adults.

Get him in your arms and do a little bounce. Also if he lasts till midway through the second half promise him an ice cream (or sweet) at the end if he sits nice for the last 20mins.

Bribery always works and you can be the best uncle in the world. Parents might not like you have filled there kid up with sugar!

MacBean
29-01-2010, 01:38 PM
Nah, dont fancy him pissing someone off and me being the defensive uncle.

Nice comments though guys, I'm so excited to take him.

:notworthy:

Its green day tomorrow!
Flags are encouraged

(see below!!)

This Saturday sees Hibs entertain St Mirren in the SPL with a chance of going second.

I'm sure you have seen Keekaboo and HFC_1875's efforts in trying to raise the awareness of 'Green Day' for this weekend's fixture and we at hibs.net are fully behind them.

So get your Green on! Dust out those old flags. Get your scarves out and get right behind the team!

See below thread for more information.....

http://www.hibs.net/message/showthread.php?t=172345 (http://www.hibs.net/message/showthread.php?t=172345)

Malthibby
29-01-2010, 01:39 PM
Take a woman as well in case he doesn't last the whole game, or needs to go to the toilet, to ensure you see the whole match.
GG

WeAreHibs
29-01-2010, 01:43 PM
Take a bird, to the football? Are you mad?

Malthibby
29-01-2010, 02:03 PM
I'll set my wife on you, i will.:greengrin

tony higgins
29-01-2010, 02:51 PM
All children should be put in the East on their own.
Sink or swim.
They,ll thank you for it years later, either that or they,ll come looking for you.

TRC
29-01-2010, 02:58 PM
My Grandad took me to my first game when i was 9 months, he was supposed to be babysitting me, the story goes that i sat and watch the whole thing i doubt this very much cause we weren't great in the 80's :greengrin. needless to say my mum went mental at my grandad.

Irish_Steve
29-01-2010, 03:03 PM
Take some books, some juice, some crisps, some sweets, some more crisps and if you`re nipper behves himself, you can give him some of your share

Lofarl
29-01-2010, 03:18 PM
Take him to the East while its still there. Then he will have been at a proper football stand.:wink:

WeAreHibs
30-01-2010, 05:43 PM
Well, he had an amazing time but we had to leave not long into the second half. Apologies to anyone in top tier of the FF who couldnt see for him waving his flag. I had to get him to put it down as I was getting para it was pissing folk off, that was when he decided he'd had enough. Sadly we didnt see the winning goal but he knows we won. :thumbsup:

Went to the Hibs Club before so he's well and truly groomed now.

Like a dafty, I left the programme on the seat when we left. Is anyone prepared to give up theirs so I can give it to him for his first match or do you think I'll get one easily enough from the shop/club?

Thanks again for all the tips guys.

Sir David Gray
30-01-2010, 05:45 PM
Well, he had an amazing time but we had to leave not long into the second half. Apologies to anyone in top tier of the FF who couldnt see for him waving his flag. I had to get him to put it down as I was getting para it was pissing folk off, that was when he decided he'd had enough. Sadly we didnt see the winning goal but he knows we won. :thumbsup:

Went to the Hibs Club before so he's well and truly groomed now.

Like a dafty, I left the programme on the seat when we left. Is anyone prepared to give up theirs so I can give it to him for his first match or do you think I'll get one easily enough from the shop/club?

Thanks again for all the tips guys.

Fairly certain that you will get one from the club if you e-mail/write to them and give your details.

CallumLaidlaw
30-01-2010, 06:46 PM
Alex enjoyed his day today too. He loved playing with all the other kids in the play area of BTG, he loved his hibs teddy, and hibs sweets from the shop, and he LOVED his halftime pizza.
He also enjoyed shouting as loud as he wanted and he reacted surprisingly well to the goals. Joined in with the "hibees hibees hibees" and is still shouting "we hate jam tarts and we hate dundee" now :thumbsup:

madabouthibs
30-01-2010, 07:04 PM
I had to convince my lad that he wasn't a true fan until he'd stood at the front of the FF and been blootered in the chops with a practice ball! :agree:

WeAreHibs
31-01-2010, 01:27 AM
Alex enjoyed his day today too. He loved playing with all the other kids in the play area of BTG, he loved his hibs teddy, and hibs sweets from the shop, and he LOVED his halftime pizza.
He also enjoyed shouting as loud as he wanted and he reacted surprisingly well to the goals. Joined in with the "hibees hibees hibees" and is still shouting "we hate jam tarts and we hate dundee" now :thumbsup:

My nephew's called Alex too! Nice fella, nice!

I didnt know about the play area or I'd have gone there instead of Hibs Club, always nest time.