PDA

View Full Version : Would there have been a place for Dean Shiels in Hughes team?

Hibbyradge
28-01-2010, 10:30 PM
A lot of people thought Deano was the bees knees.

Would he get into the team now?

persevere1875
28-01-2010, 10:34 PM
In my opinion ? Always .. :wink:

BigKev
28-01-2010, 10:39 PM
A lot of people thought Deano was the bees knees.

Would he get into the team now?

No chance IMO. Impact player off the bench.

MWHIBBIES
28-01-2010, 10:39 PM
IMO yes because i think he would be good in the nish role behind the st.

cwilliamson85
28-01-2010, 10:41 PM
He would be on the bench instead of benji IMO

seanraff07
28-01-2010, 10:43 PM
he'd make the bench but not the starting line-up IMO,
no question in his ability just right now when we have players like Miller etc he just wouldn't get a game, although wuldn't mind having him as a Left Midfielder at the moment.

lucky
28-01-2010, 10:43 PM
Big no. He could not get in any other Hibs sides so why this one?

seanraff07
28-01-2010, 10:46 PM
Big no. He could not get in any other Hibs sides so why this one?

tbh he played regularly under Mixu's team..
but Collins was always reluctant to start him.

Baader
28-01-2010, 10:48 PM
Can't see where he'd feature. Like Deano a lot but he wouldn't be starting games for us just now...

Billychaotic182
28-01-2010, 11:08 PM
Would play him in the nish role

hibsdaft
28-01-2010, 11:22 PM
Shiels shouldn't have been in the Mixu team. barely kicked a ball after his hatrick against ICT in Mixu's first game.

the fact that he's barely been mentioned since he has left says it all.

Jonnyboy
28-01-2010, 11:50 PM
With the players we have there now I'd have to say no

jacomo
28-01-2010, 11:51 PM
Would play him in the nish role

Ah yes, the same role that he had upteen chances in, and never delivered?

Deano's problem was that he'd earn a start through a brilliant cameo, and then be totally ineffectual. After four seasons I still had no idea whether he was a striker, winger or attacking mid... he seemed to flatter to deceive wherever he played.

Davy Mac
29-01-2010, 12:06 AM
Nah, for me he was always a bit of a lightweight.

I think this current Hibs team have a better balance about them thses days.

Billy McKirdy
29-01-2010, 12:31 AM
A big fat YES for me! I always rated Shields & was gutted when he left us!. In fact he would be a cert to start IMHO. I know he was always used as an impact player with us BUT thats not how I seen him. He always gave 200% when he pulled on that shirt.:cool2:

Jonnyboy
29-01-2010, 12:36 AM
I guess one point in his favour is that he scored his fair share of goals and none of our current midfield three looks like doing that

Iain G
29-01-2010, 12:41 AM
Nope, still IMHO one of the most overrated players we had in recent years who was inconsistant and when given a chance to play as a first team regular he failed to take it under 3 different managers.

(((Fergus)))
29-01-2010, 12:55 AM
Natural goalscorer, original, entertaining, doing OK for Doncaster (5 in 26), and looks to have beefed up a lot. Would definitely have him as an impact sub.

Musselbound
29-01-2010, 10:24 AM
Natural goalscorer, original, entertaining, doing OK for Doncaster (5 in 26), and looks to have beefed up a lot. Would definitely have him as an impact sub.

More than ok I would say. Seems to be getting a regular game there and they are sitting in a comfortable mid-table position in the Championship. Some fans may have gone a bit over the top about Deano at times, but perhaps there were even more who didn't appreciate his skills. Yes, he had his bad games but on the whole he was a player I enjoyed watching.

I'd also say that rather than not taking his opportunities, the fact that a few different managers were prepared to give him a chance showed that they saw something in him.

WellingtonHibby
29-01-2010, 10:33 AM
A big fat YES for me! I always rated Shields & was gutted when he left us!. In fact he would be a cert to start IMHO. I know he was always used as an impact player with us BUT thats not how I seen him. He always gave 200% when he pulled on that shirt.:cool2:

Were i lucky enough to play for hibs i too would give 200% ....i'd still be pish though. Effort is only useful when allied to conposure and ability. Deano lacked both when it mattered imo

col02
29-01-2010, 10:37 AM
Who?:greengrin Decent player for a spell whilst at Hibs but no great loss compared to the squad we have now imho.

Judas Iscariot
29-01-2010, 10:43 AM

Yep, that was Deans best position, top of the diamond :wink:

Now we have 3 midfielders that are good enough to allow us to play that I reckon he'd have performed well in this current team and formation!

Such a technically gifted player!

O'Rourke3
29-01-2010, 02:09 PM

Completely misread that sentence wondering WTF The Irish role was at Hibs - although TBF he'd qualify :agree:

Speedway
29-01-2010, 02:12 PM
I guess one point in his favour is that he scored his fair share of goals and none of our current midfield three looks like doing that

Rarely if ever under Mowbray and Collins did we have three strikers on the park, however.

Jonnyboy
29-01-2010, 03:43 PM
Rarely if ever under Mowbray and Collins did we have three strikers on the park, however.

That's very true :agree: Still struggling to identify a current midfielder with that number of goals in his game though :greengrin

Green Mikey
29-01-2010, 03:55 PM
That's very true :agree: Still struggling to identify a current midfielder with that number of goals in his game though :greengrin

Good point Jonny but with the amount of goals our stikers get and our current formation I'm not sure an attacking midfielder is a needed on the park. However, it is always good to have players like Shield in the squad to provide a different option.

I'm inclined to agree with the posters that think he was more of an 'impact' player than a regular starter. I don't think that this would change if he was in the current squad.