PDA

View Full Version : Daytona 500

New Corrie
28-01-2010, 06:18 PM
I have always wanted to take in a Nascar race, and finally it's going to happen. In a week or so I will be heading accross for the Daytona 500. Really looking forward to it, I was wondering if any other netters have been or can offer me any tips.

An Leargaidh
29-01-2010, 10:51 PM
I have always wanted to take in a Nascar race, and finally it's going to happen. In a week or so I will be heading accross for the Daytona 500. Really looking forward to it, I was wondering if any other netters have been or can offer me any tips.

Sorry mate have no advice but Daytona is also on my 100 Things To Do Before I Am Too Decrepit list so all I can say is have good trip and ENJOY IT. I am jealous already! :greengrin

Cammy :agree:

robinp
29-01-2010, 11:23 PM

Im a massive US motorsport nut and taking in a race at Indy in May for the Indianapolis 500, Daytona for the 500 and under the lights at Bristol in Nascar are on my list of things to do.

Where are your seats/tickets and who will you be cheering for? :cool2:

Gutted sky have dropped nascar, but there is always NascarPower on JustinTV. :devil:

How did you book it btw?

Marabou Stork
30-01-2010, 02:10 AM
If you want to be a true NASCAR fan, you'd better start making love to your sister.

New Corrie
31-01-2010, 01:46 PM
Im a massive US motorsport nut and taking in a race at Indy in May for the Indianapolis 500, Daytona for the 500 and under the lights at Bristol in Nascar are on my list of things to do.

Where are your seats/tickets and who will you be cheering for? :cool2:

Gutted sky have dropped nascar, but there is always NascarPower on JustinTV. :devil:

How did you book it btw?

Me likewise Robin, I've always wanted to take in the 500. Indy is on my wish list aswell, along with Pocono. We got the tickets through the official Daytona site and we opted for the dear ones at the end of the start/finish. Fingers crossed that we could be getting pit passes through one of Dario's Nascar connections. As for who I will be cheering, well, i've always liked Montoya, but apart from him I would like to see Mark Martin do well (it's an age thing) or at the other end of the age spectrum Joey Logano. Really looking forward to it, I have always followed Nascar and this year they are running with smaller restrictor plates...Hurrah! Cant wait to hear how you get on at the brickyard in May!! I will get there one day, although this year there might be no Danica as she's running a Nascar nationwide schedule I believe.

Just one last thing Robin, I did the Nascar driver experience 6 years ago, and although it's dear, it is a tremendous day. 650bhp in the searing heat and 10 laps, you get out the car soaking in sweat, god knows how these guys do 500 miles on a super speedway in that heat!

New Corrie
31-01-2010, 01:49 PM
Sorry mate have no advice but Daytona is also on my 100 Things To Do Before I Am Too Decrepit list so all I can say is have good trip and ENJOY IT. I am jealous already! :greengrin

Cammy :agree:

Thanks mate, really looking forward to it.

greenlex
31-01-2010, 05:05 PM
Never been but stupidly went to The NASA space centre at Cape Canaveral when it was on. The traffic was horrendous. :grr:

robinp
31-01-2010, 08:43 PM
Me likewise Robin, I've always wanted to take in the 500. Indy is on my wish list aswell, along with Pocono. We got the tickets through the official Daytona site and we opted for the dear ones at the end of the start/finish. Fingers crossed that we could be getting pit passes through one of Dario's Nascar connections. As for who I will be cheering, well, i've always liked Montoya, but apart from him I would like to see Mark Martin do well (it's an age thing) or at the other end of the age spectrum Joey Logano. Really looking forward to it, I have always followed Nascar and this year they are running with smaller restrictor plates...Hurrah! Cant wait to hear how you get on at the brickyard in May!! I will get there one day, although this year there might be no Danica as she's running a Nascar nationwide schedule I believe.

Just one last thing Robin, I did the Nascar driver experience 6 years ago, and although it's dear, it is a tremendous day. 650bhp in the searing heat and 10 laps, you get out the car soaking in sweat, god knows how these guys do 500 miles on a super speedway in that heat!

I wish I was going to the 500 :greengrin , what I meant by taking in a race at Indy in May was, as you picked up going to the 500, it's on my list of must do but not on my agenda this year.

Danica will be doing her full Indycar Schedule and a part ARCA and Nationwide along side, but she will not be missing any Indycar events. You watch much Indycar or CART before that in the late 90's early 00's before all the 'good' teams jumped to the IRL? I'm a huge Franchitti fan.

I have always fancied doing the Indy Racing Experience and the Nascar equivalent. Did you do it at Disney World Speedway with Petty's company?

Are you going for the Daytona 500 only or you doing Speedweek as well....or is that being greedy? Really looking forward to seeing Danica race, and how she gets on.

I don't know if you know, but Sky have dropped Nascar entirely and there is no Live UK broadcaster at the moment, I reccomend you join this forum:
http://nascarfanz.com/forum/index.php

There are about 3 or 4 Yanks who broadcast every session of every race in the Sprint Cup and similarly for the Nationwide, live on Justin TV and the quality of the streams is brilliant and the banter fantastic. Justin TV has just been bought by Fox and cutting back on these streams. :devil: Join the forum and there will be a section that details where and who is streaming the races and it's all free by Fans for us fans.

New Corrie
01-02-2010, 08:23 AM
I wish I was going to the 500 :greengrin , what I meant by taking in a race at Indy in May was, as you picked up going to the 500, it's on my list of must do but not on my agenda this year.

Danica will be doing her full Indycar Schedule and a part ARCA and Nationwide along side, but she will not be missing any Indycar events. You watch much Indycar or CART before that in the late 90's early 00's before all the 'good' teams jumped to the IRL? I'm a huge Franchitti fan.
I have always fancied doing the Indy Racing Experience and the Nascar equivalent. Did you do it at Disney World Speedway with Petty's company?

Are you going for the Daytona 500 only or you doing Speedweek as well....or is that being greedy? Really looking forward to seeing Danica race, and how she gets on.

I don't know if you know, but Sky have dropped Nascar entirely and there is no Live UK broadcaster at the moment, I reccomend you join this forum:
http://nascarfanz.com/forum/index.php

There are about 3 or 4 Yanks who broadcast every session of every race in the Sprint Cup and similarly for the Nationwide, live on Justin TV and the quality of the streams is brilliant and the banter fantastic. Justin TV has just been bought by Fox and cutting back on these streams. :devil: Join the forum and there will be a section that details where and who is streaming the races and it's all free by Fans for us fans.

Yes I did Robin. I was lucky enough to meet the late great Jim Crawford (a lovely man) who raced Formula Atlantic with a dear friend of mine who also happens to be a good pal of Darios. Loved the great Indy days with all the characters...Lone Star JR, Salt Walther, Gordon Johncock, Al jnr, Rick Mears, Kevin Cogan (all before your time) etc etc. Still remember (sadly) watching the Swede Savage race and all the other 500's from the 70's, 80's and 90's.

As for the driver experience, yes, that was with Petty at the Disney world Speedway. Thanks for the forum advice, I will be logging on to that. Not sure yet, if we are going to take in the supporting races yet, we will see how things go...can't wait!

robinp
07-02-2010, 11:10 PM
Bud Shootout was pretty good, finished at 4:00 Sunday Morning though, ARCA race was......an ARCA crashfest Race as per usual......destruction derby with expensive polished cars! Danica and Nelson Pique showed pretty well! I'll wait until she races with some proper racers in the Nationwide before singing her praises - the ARCA series is a joke and she is in the best machinery, Nationwide will be another story.

Enjoy your week at the (2nd :greengrin) home of motorsport at the 'Beach, I'm seriously jealous of you!

New Corrie
09-02-2010, 09:34 AM
Bud Shootout was pretty good, finished at 4:00 Sunday Morning though, ARCA race was......an ARCA crashfest Race as per usual......destruction derby with expensive polished cars! Danica and Nelson Pique showed pretty well! I'll wait until she races with some proper racers in the Nationwide before singing her praises - the ARCA series is a joke and she is in the best machinery, Nationwide will be another story.

Enjoy your week at the (2nd :greengrin) home of motorsport at the 'Beach, I'm seriously jealous of you!

I know what you are saying Robin, but to be fair some of the ARCA racing is good entertainment. The whole Nascar ladder is pretty good, you have to give them the stepping stones. To go from late models onto superspeedways in a oner is a pretty big ask. There have been some pretty good ARCA drivers.

Anyway, sorry to gloat, but I have recieved confirmation via Dario that we are to get looked after by the Ganassi team! We have to report to Monyoya's trailor and take it from there:thumbsup: Can't wait, flying out tomorrow morning.

robinp
15-02-2010, 08:11 AM
That was emmm different! Finally finished at 12:45am here and it was action packed.

I was pretty gutted for Ambrose who looked fast all week only for his engine to go and also for Max Papis, he also lost his engine, and after being wreked Saturday night by Pique with 6 to go in the Truck Race (although Max was not the only one to be wrecked by Nelsinio!). Really pleased for McMurray who had a tough tough year last year and is now at my team Ganassi! Finally a team mate on Juan's level to work with every week, I think Ganassi will again be very strong this year, here's hoping Juan finally gets that oval win he threw away at the brickyard!

Also a mention for Dale Jr (who I've got no love for) that was some week for him and a great finish, this year can only be better than last year, he looks like he has a little fire burning inside him again which is good for the series.

Hope you enjoyed your trip, can't wait to hear about it!

New Corrie
01-04-2010, 11:08 AM
Sorry, forgot to repoert back, but I have been really busy workwise since returning from the 500.

Just a quick word for any fellow motorsport fans....it was a great expereience. So typical of the US in so much that catering for 160 000 people doesn't seem to pose any problem, you never had to Q for anything!! Loads of beer great crack and in parts the race was pretty good.

Talladega, Indy or Pocono for mr next!

I would highly recommend a Nascar trip, oh! and everyone was really friendly!