PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone a bit worried about losing our stars?

GraniteCityHibs
28-01-2010, 04:27 PM
At the end of the season-

Miller - absolute class act who plays football the right way and who has given a masterclass in front of Mowbray at Celtic park. A Celtic man

Deeks - scoring goals and added work-rate this season (matter of opinion!)

Stokes - goal scoring quality speaks for itself this year.

Or do we feel that Yogi has become a bit of an Allardyce character (not in terms of style of play!) but in getting in players who had become 'misfits' elsewhere, offered them a chance and getting the best out of these players!

Do we feel that these guys will have the loyalty to Hibs and Hughes and repay the faith showed in them by investing a good portion of their career to really having a go at the Old Firm and winning something with Hibs- or can you not bank on that kind of thing these days??

Not being a doom-monger- just struck me that we have some very good players at the moment and in the past we have been very good as selling them all and having to re-build but it strikes me that Yogi is a different animal most managers and the players he has taken in may feel a great deal of gratitude for giving them a 2nd/3rd chance to make a go of it!

Thoughts

.Sean.
28-01-2010, 05:01 PM
Why do you assume Liam Miller is a 'Celtic man' :confused:

Hibbyradge
28-01-2010, 05:03 PM
We won't "lose" anyone.

We will sell them on at a suitably handsome profit.

Then we will recruit more and develop more.

And rightly so.

Part/Time Supporter
28-01-2010, 05:05 PM
I don't think anyone will offer big bucks for any of those players for a variety of reasons (lack of money in football generally, all three have tried and largely failed at higher levels). The only one who will be sold IMO is Bamba if he gets back to form and plays well in the WC.

Andy74
28-01-2010, 05:05 PM

Miller - absolute class act who plays football the right way and who has given a masterclass in front of Mowbray at Celtic park. A Celtic man

Or do we feel that Yogi has become a bit of an Allardyce character (not in terms of style of play!) but in getting in players who had become 'misfits' elsewhere, offered them a chance and getting the best out of these players!

Do we feel that these guys will have the loyalty to Hibs and Hughes and repay the faith showed in them by investing a good portion of their career to really having a go at the Old Firm and winning something with Hibs- or can you not bank on that kind of thing these days??

Not being a doom-monger- just struck me that we have some very good players at the moment and in the past we have been very good as selling them all and having to re-build but it strikes me that Yogi is a different animal most managers and the players he has taken in may feel a great deal of gratitude for giving them a 2nd/3rd chance to make a go of it!

Thoughts

Life's too short, players come and go at a rate that is quite alarming these days and we are going to work ourselves into an early grave if we keep bumping our gums about it every day until it happens next.

ancienthibby
28-01-2010, 05:09 PM

Thoughts

Clearly denied on a previous post!!

(or have you not been paying attention:devil:)

hibiedude
28-01-2010, 05:09 PM
Tranfer window closes 5.00pm Monday but summer mite be the time that an offer comes in for someone like Stokes.

He scores Goals for fun and and the old firms record of buying the best players from there opposition is an annual accurance.

iwasthere1972
28-01-2010, 05:32 PM
We won't "lose" anyone.

We will sell them on at a suitably handsome profit.

Then we will recruit more and develop more.

And rightly so.

:agree: The Hibee conveyor belt is running well. :notworthy:

Dashing Bob S
28-01-2010, 05:36 PM

Thoughts

:faf::faf::faf::faf:

That joke aside, what a dire post. Every club in the world who has decent players are concerned about losing them. Ehm, heard of 'agents', 'money', and 'Bosman'?

An Leargaidh
28-01-2010, 05:50 PM
Maybe I am just too paranoid when success comes along but I always think that the better and more successful we get the more likely that some bigger club will come along and start signing blank cheques :paranoid:

I think that Stokes and for the very fact that he has scored nearly as many goals, Riordan and also Yogi himself are all people who could be taken away if the money was good enough. I know Yogi is in his dream job but sometimes I just worry that it is too good to be true after all it has been happening since Celtic first appeared 12 years after we did back in the day :no way: and started stealing our players.

I'll keep taking the vitamin pills :lips seal

Cammy

Woody1985
28-01-2010, 05:57 PM
Stokes would be my biggest worry at the end of the season. IIRC he has a two year deal so that would be the time to cash in.

I also have a sneaky suspicion (based on nothing really!) that he took the decision to move back to the SPL knowing that it is probably his best shot at moving to Celtic.

There was a possibility for him to go when he left the SPL previously. He comes up here again, scores **** loads of goals and is immediately back on their radar. He'll make **** loads of money and score plenty.

I'm just glad we have someone of that quality just now so will enjoy it whilst it lasts regardless of what happens.

patlowe
28-01-2010, 05:58 PM
I think most of the replies on this thread are unfair. I'm concerned about said players, I would also include Ian Murray in that list (who I still cannot believe didn't make the Scotland squad for the friendly in Japan when Burley was calling up every man and his dog). I'd like to see all these players given new contracts that are appropriate to what they contribute to the team, which would guarantee a healthy transfer fee when they do inevitably leave. We should enjoy watching these guys while we can but that doesn't mean that we shouldn't be eager to see them pledge their immediate future to the mighty hibees.

The_Todd
28-01-2010, 06:57 PM
Tranfer window closes 5.00pm Monday but summer mite be the time that an offer comes in for someone like Stokes.

He scores Goals for fun and and the old firms record of buying the best players from there opposition is an annual accurance.

It was when they had the money. Besides, now Stokes has had his new lease of life who's to say he'll limit his ambition to the OF? He didn't do too well in England before but I'd bet he'd want another crack of the whip.

joe breezy
28-01-2010, 07:01 PM
I used to worry about such things, now I just enjoy the moment...

jacomo
28-01-2010, 07:15 PM
Life's too short, players come and go at a rate that is quite alarming these days and we are going to work ourselves into an early grave if we keep bumping our gums about it every day until it happens next.

Very wise words.

cad
28-01-2010, 07:20 PM
If they go they go .
Plenty players , only one Hibs as Yogi says :bye:

jabis
28-01-2010, 07:21 PM
I don't think anyone will offer big bucks for any of those players for a variety of reasons (lack of money in football generally, all three have tried and largely failed at higher levels). The only one who will be sold IMO is Bamba if he gets back to form and plays well in the WC.

why the hell would he want to play well in the toilet !

Yogi has also stated that he wants them all to become Hibs legends,stick with him,and achieve it :thumbsup:

The_Todd
28-01-2010, 07:45 PM
[/B]

why the hell would he want to play well in the toilet !

Yogi has also stated that he wants them all to become Hibs legends,stick with him,and achieve it :thumbsup:

George Michael was good at that, didn't do him too much harm.

GraniteCityHibs
28-01-2010, 09:23 PM
I made the mistake of posting that before i left work!

I didn't say that i was overly worried about losing our best players this time around.

I suppose the point I was making (in a round about way) is do we see Yogi being the difference between keeping our best players this time around as opposed to what has happened in the past?

basehibby
28-01-2010, 10:39 PM

Thoughts

Why worry? Be Happy :cool2:

Yogi certainly seems to have a knack of attracting good footballers to Hibs and has created a good atmosphere at the club. But if there's any difference to years gone by, it's in having money in the bank as opposed to being up to our ears in debt - hence no big pressure to sell - hopefully this will also see Rodders stretching the club wallet sufficiently to keep the likes of IM at the club.