PDA

View Full Version : Nothing happening in the Transfer Window?

Hibbyradge
28-01-2010, 08:43 AM
Did anyone else pick up on yogi's after match comments last night?

He said something along the lines of, "People keep asking me if we're getting someone in for this position and that position, but I'm happy with the players I've got".

Surely Barr wasn't the only target?

We still need a right back, at least.

Speedway
28-01-2010, 08:45 AM
Did anyone else pick up on yogi's after match comments last night?

He said something along the lines of, "People keep asking me if we're getting someone in for this position and that position, but I'm happy with the players I've got".

Surely Barr wasn't the only target?

We still need a right back, at least.

Sounds like an exercise in managing expectations just in case things don't work out as he's planning.

Dibben
28-01-2010, 08:51 AM
Reading on another form that Falkirk may have accepted an offer of £400k from Southampton for Arfield!

Hibs likely to come in and try to get him to ER? Obviously we tried before and Yogi is a big admirer of SA's!!

I'm sure we'll not splash THAT amount of cash, however, going on our last 5 years, we'd probably be able to get much more than that for him in the future!!

BH.

Expecting Rain
28-01-2010, 08:54 AM
Hopefully we`ll be trying to sign a right back at least, as Hibby Radge pointed out Celtic made a lot of chances as did Aberdeen when we beat them 2-0 at Pittodrie, we need a better balance, still i don`t care how we beat Celtic and last night it was the result that mattered.

Captain Trips
28-01-2010, 08:57 AM
If we have any funds I would be looking at Defenders.

PaulSmith
28-01-2010, 09:08 AM
If we have any funds I would be looking at Defenders.

18 goals conceeded in 21 games and 2nd best in league after Rangers (14).

IWasThere2016
28-01-2010, 09:09 AM
Reading on another form that Falkirk may have accepted an offer of £400k from Southampton for Arfield!

Hibs likely to come in and try to get him to ER? Obviously we tried before and Yogi is a big admirer of SA's!!

I'm sure we'll not splash THAT amount of cash, however, going on our last 5 years, we'd probably be able to get much more than that for him in the future!!

BH.

I wouldn't tbh

smurf
28-01-2010, 09:13 AM
The priority IMO should be;

1, Ian Murray.
2, Right Back.

Hibercelona
28-01-2010, 09:18 AM
I think young "Calum Woods" from "Dunfermline" would be a decent target. :agree:

Ritchie
28-01-2010, 09:22 AM

BH.

we dont need arfield IMO... would rather we try a cheeky wee macarthur bid although i doubt he'd want to come to us considering the interest from down south.

arfield is over rated.

Woody70x2
28-01-2010, 09:22 AM
Everyone keeps going on about a right back... I thought Wotherspoon was excellent last night and may just make that right back position his own!

Speedway
28-01-2010, 09:25 AM
Anyone heard anything about the Ex-Man City player Kiki Musampa's brother, Kris, coming to us as a free agent?

Might have been a better signing towards the end of last year.

Expecting Rain
Everyone keeps going on about a right back... I thought Wotherspoon was excellent last night and may just make that right back position his own!

Wotherspoon for right midfield, good attacking right back though.

Speedway
we dont need arfield IMO... would rather we try a cheeky wee macarthur bid although i doubt he'd want to come to us considering the interest from down south.

arfield is over rated.

Arfield would be the Liam Miller insurance policy would he not?

smurf
28-01-2010, 09:26 AM

Wotherspoon has being doing a great job at RB. I don't think the clamour for a RB is a reflection on him. Far from it. I think it's more the anticipation just how HUGE an asset the lad could be further up the park.

Speedway
28-01-2010, 09:26 AM
Wotherspoon has being doing a great job at RB. I don't think the clamour for a RB is a reflection on him. Far from it. I think it's more the anticipation just how HUGE an asset the lad could be further up the park.

:agree:

Ritchie
28-01-2010, 09:28 AM
Arfield would be the Liam Miller insurance policy would he not?

he's not good enough though.

Speedway
28-01-2010, 09:29 AM

Neither was Liam Miller three games ago.

MacBean
28-01-2010, 09:30 AM
18 goals conceeded in 21 games and 2nd best in league after Rangers (14).

less goals than anyone in the premiership and only newcastle have conceeded less in the Football league

smurf
28-01-2010, 09:31 AM

Really though Yogi will know better than any of us.

Who thought Yogi knew what he was doing when he signed that hounded out the door of Falkirk Mcbride player?:wink:

Andy74
28-01-2010, 09:31 AM
We've got a great defensive record so whilst I'd like some cover and would like Wotherspoon to be playing a bit further up I don't think it's the urgent panic stations that we keep hearing about!

With the midfield looking good where would Wotherspoon fit in? Dropping Rankin and playing Miller or McBride slighlty on the wrong side for them? Would that be better?

Cocaine&Caviar
28-01-2010, 09:37 AM
I think if we do stay quiet in this window, we may pay the price in the summer with a lot of new faces having to fit in at once. In the summer we will most likely be without McCormack, Thicot, Benjelloun, Makalambay, and possibly Stevenson. Thats 5 new faces needed nearly gaurenteed, and thats if we dont cash in on the likes of Bamba, Miller, Zemmama and Stokes. We could be in a position where theres closer to 10 faces leaving. This would put us in another season of serious transition like we always seem to be, after finally a season of unarguable success.

Fingers crossed that the likes of Booth can replace Stevenson in the squad, and Welsh, Byrne etc making their mark on the squad. But we will still need bodies to an already somewhat small sqaud.

Aubenas
28-01-2010, 09:48 AM

Typically astute by Yogi - on two counts:

1. You don't undermine your players by saying, in the aftermath of a victory at Parkhead, : I need better

2. If you sound desperate to sign players, inevitably the price goes up.

The boy's a communication genius!

persevere1875
28-01-2010, 09:57 AM
Typically astute by Yogi - on two counts:

1. You don't undermine your players by saying, in the aftermath of a victory at Parkhead, : I need better

2. If you sound desperate to sign players, inevitably the price goes up.

The boy's a communication genius!

:top marks

Ritchie
28-01-2010, 09:57 AM
Neither was Liam Miller three games ago.

in some people eyes maybe......

Andy74
28-01-2010, 10:03 AM
Falkirk fan I work with suggested the fans would be far more gutted to lose Arfield in the window than they would have been to lose Barr.

Arfield has seemingly fallen out with May though over where he should be played and has been way below his best probably for the period that we've been keeping an eye on him!

I think he'd be a great addition to the squad but £400k is probably too rich for us.

Cocaine&Caviar
28-01-2010, 10:15 AM
Falkirk fan I work with suggested the fans would be far more gutted to lose Arfield in the window than they would have been to lose Barr.

I think he'd be a great addition to the squad but £400k is probably too rich for us.

Todays daily express:

Southampton are in transfer talks with Falkirk after increasing their offer for Bairns midfielder Scott Arfield by a third to £400,000 rising to £1m with add-ons, but Preston and Huddersfield are also interested. (Daily Express)

Cocaine&Caviar
28-01-2010, 10:18 AM
I think if we do stay quiet in this window, we may pay the price in the summer with a lot of new faces having to fit in at once. In the summer we will most likely be without McCormack, Thicot, Benjelloun, Makalambay, and possibly Stevenson. Thats 5 new faces needed nearly gaurenteed, and thats if we dont cash in on the likes of Bamba, Miller, Zemmama and Stokes. We could be in a position where theres closer to 10 faces leaving. This would put us in another season of serious transition like we always seem to be, after finally a season of unarguable success.

Fingers crossed that the likes of Booth can replace Stevenson in the squad, and Welsh, Byrne etc making their mark on the squad. But we will still need bodies to an already somewhat small sqaud.

I would also add Cregg and McCann to this list.

hibbie02
28-01-2010, 10:32 AM
Admittedly I didn't see the whole game, but if you watch the BBC highlights the first thing you think is.....did we have a Right back. Maybe he was doing some unseen work at the time. I do rate Spoony but he is wasted at RB and that should be a priority. However I don't believe we have any more signings this window.

BSEJVT
28-01-2010, 12:40 PM
My guess is that transfers in were dependant on bodies moving out.

As the latter looks less likely to happen, so does the former.

I would also guess that this is partly because we pushed the boat out a bit to get Miller & Stokes and signing Smith has used up any spare monies.

We simply cannot keep overspending and relying on a player sale a year to repay the loss, particularly if we are going to build the new stand.

So says the man who is on here far too often hoping to read about a new signing.

The heart tells you one thing but the head tells you another.

Dibben
28-01-2010, 12:55 PM
My guess is that transfers in were dependant on bodies moving out.

As the latter looks less likely to happen, so does the former.

I would also guess that this is partly because we pushed the boat out a bit to get Miller & Stokes and signing Smith has used up any spare monies.

We simply cannot keep overspending and relying on a player sale a year to repay the loss, particularly if we are going to build the new stand.

So says the man who is on here far too often hoping to read about a new signing.

The heart tells you one thing but the head tells you another.

:agree:

But i'm still sure we'll see 1 more come in (this would be a perfect post to leave with a :wink: but I know NOTHING...)

:wink: