PDA

View Full Version : Celtic Fans = Definately NOT the "best fans in the world"

The Voice Of Reason
27-01-2010, 11:49 PM
What a bunch of horrible people.

Sections of them singing songs about the IRA, a fair bit of trouble after the game also, they were not a very happy bunch.

To any Celtic fans reading this - you are a disgrace, GIRUY !

To any Hibs fans who have any feelings for Celtic (for whatever bizarre reason) I hope tonight changed your mind.....filth. :grr:

TariqE
27-01-2010, 11:51 PM
:agree:

And there speaks, The Voice of Reason

Hainan Hibs
27-01-2010, 11:51 PM
Woah woah woah woah,

Celtic fans signing sectarian songs?

Regan will be on here in seconds to put the record straight:greengrin

Not good to hear about the trouble, but typical crap from them. They give it the patronising, pat on the back "well done, good effort, good football match" pish when things go their way, but if they get beat they get ugly.

7Hero
27-01-2010, 11:53 PM
gotta say i was in the corporate tonight, first time at darkhead corporate and it was far more pleasant than rangers corporate which was like hell on earth.

i dont have any feelings for celtic but it is far less intimidating than ibrox or tynie.. didnt think they sang at all tonight let alone any sectarian shute...

Saorsa
28-01-2010, 12:02 AM
gotta say i was in the corporate tonight, first time at darkhead corporate and it was far more pleasant than rangers corporate which was like hell on earth.

i dont have any feelings for celtic but it is far less intimidating than ibrox or tynie.. didnt think they sang at all tonight let alone any sectarian shute...I was watching online and heard their party songs clearly, I'm sure a certain poster will be along at some point tae tell us it's only the minority or that it only happens at away games

and that ceptic are of course doing everything in their power tae stamp it out, aye right :rolleyes:

Hermit Crab
28-01-2010, 12:10 AM
I asked one of the officer Dibbles that constantly keep standing infront of us so we couldnt see, I thought that sectarian singing was banned, he just turned to his mate and laughed.

Bayern Bru
28-01-2010, 12:26 AM
I asked one of the officer Dibbles that constantly keep standing infront of us so we couldnt see, I thought that sectarian singing was banned, he just turned to his mate and laughed.

That'll have been PC Fitzgerald and PC Finnigan then?
:cool2:

Cabbage East
28-01-2010, 12:36 AM
Nae luck you jakey fannies :greengrin

Callum
28-01-2010, 12:43 AM
after sit in the celtic end the night I could not agree more with the first post on this thread

Calvin
28-01-2010, 01:41 AM
after sit in the celtic end the night I could not agree more with the first post on this thread

I too was in the Celtic end and commented that the support contradicted the usual stereotypes, pretty pleasant.

I suspect that the closer to the away support you are, the worse the chants get, as per most clubs.

Gorgie Green
28-01-2010, 01:58 AM
I have heard lots of stories about how bad they can be, but had seen nothing until tonight. As has been said, they are always so patronising after they have won! I made the mistake of parking up a side street, and after I got in my car, I had my drivers window punched, and both drivers side doors kicked, just for having a Hibs top on! There was at least 10 of them, so it was safe to say the odds were not in our favour, so a sharp exit was required, which involved driving down the wrong side of the road! Will it stop me going back? Not a chance! On the bright side, I think the gritters spreading on the M8 did more damage to my car than the the Sellick ****!!!!! :bye:

IWasThere2016
28-01-2010, 06:18 AM
**** they are! :agree:

Great banter as they turn up wi their empty green seats outfits on! lol!

Can they afford to keep Mowbray? :greengrin

hibiedude
28-01-2010, 06:26 AM
I too was in the Celtic end and commented that the support contradicted the usual stereotypes, pretty pleasant.

I suspect that the closer to the away support you are, the worse the chants get, as per most clubs.

:top marks

I was with mates last night in the Celtic end and had a great time and agree totally with your reply.

Dashing Bob S
28-01-2010, 07:43 AM
Six of us (Hibs fans) all in Celtic end, the section as far away from the Hibs fans as it was possible to get. Never seen such an inoffensive bunch of people at a match, to the point of dreadfully bland. (I doubt any of them ever knew what a football stadium was before 1990 and their experience of the East End of Glasgow is obviously limited to driving in and driving out ever other Saturday.)

A group sitting a bit away from us were outraged when we celebrated the winner, and pathetically tried to point us out to a Policeman, who just shrugged and laughed.

But that was the glory hunters. I did see the other side of the more 'unreconstructed' in Fiveways bar afterwards. Agreed that it probably depends where you're sitting as to whether you meet bigots or glory hunters.

Quite liked sitting in that part of the ground, great view, no pillars, and would do it again. I sensed there were quite a few Hibby's had the same idea.

tony higgins
28-01-2010, 08:36 AM
But that was the glory hunters. I did see the other side of the more 'unreconstructed' in Fiveways bar afterwards.

You did,nt happen to see a chap with a cutlass by any chance ?

down-the-slope
28-01-2010, 08:41 AM
With so many Hibbies in the home end it makes their crowd look even worse....what happened to the waiting list for seasons.....

Plastic Paddies ....Plastic Seats :greengrin

Hibercelona
28-01-2010, 08:50 AM
The official attendance was given as 41,000.

With so many Hibbys in the Celtc end.... I reckon there was about 1000 Celtc fans. :wink:

The Voice Of Reason
28-01-2010, 08:59 AM
Six of us (Hibs fans) all in Celtic end, the section as far away from the Hibs fans as it was possible to get. Never seen such an inoffensive bunch of people at a match, to the point of dreadfully bland. (I doubt any of them ever knew what a football stadium was before 1990 and their experience of the East End of Glasgow is obviously limited to driving in and driving out ever other Saturday.)

A group sitting a bit away from us were outraged when we celebrated the winner, and pathetically tried to point us out to a Policeman, who just shrugged and laughed.

But that was the glory hunters. I did see the other side of the more 'unreconstructed' in Fiveways bar afterwards. Agreed that it probably depends where you're sitting as to whether you meet bigots or glory hunters.

Quite liked sitting in that part of the ground, great view, no pillars, and would do it again. I sensed there were quite a few Hibby's had the same idea.

A question Robert :-

We were singing our hearts (sorry for swearing!) out in the Hibs end.....not sure if you were close to us or not, but could you hear us loud and clear in the Celtic end ?

I thought we were making a right din......hope it seemed that way to you. :agree: :thumbsup:

Jack
28-01-2010, 08:59 AM
I’ve a few Celtc fans who don’t go to matches but are always keen to sympathise with their Hibby ‘cousin’ when things aren’t going well.

Sent them a text last night “We’re dancing in the streets of Hib tonight” I said.

No reply! :rolleyes:

Dashing Bob S
28-01-2010, 09:24 AM
A question Robert :-

We were singing our hearts (sorry for swearing!) out in the Hibs end.....not sure if you were close to us or not, but could you hear us loud and clear in the Celtic end ?

I thought we were making a right din......hope it seemed that way to you. :agree: :thumbsup:

Yes, it was the only thing I could hear from where I sat. Thought 60,000 boring barstewards should have been 15,000 boring... though.

Benny Brazil
28-01-2010, 09:27 AM

Sections of them singing songs about the IRA, a fair bit of trouble after the game also, they were not a very happy bunch.

To any Hibs fans who have any feelings for Celtic (for whatever bizarre reason) I hope tonight changed your mind.....filth. :grr:

No no no - cant be true, you must have misheard them - its only the rogue element of the away support that do that - is it not Mr Regan?:blah:

The Voice Of Reason
28-01-2010, 09:38 AM
Yes, it was the only thing I could hear from where I sat. Thought 60,000 boring barstewards should have been 15,000 boring... though.

Excellent !

Cheers. :thumbsup:

Russian Hibs Fan
28-01-2010, 10:56 AM
How many Hibs fans were at the away end?

MSK
28-01-2010, 11:02 AM
How many Hibs fans were at the away end?Probably quite a few scattered over the place ..put it this way ..the greatest fans in the world hardly turned up in their numbers ..

sunshine1875
28-01-2010, 11:09 AM

I have to say I hate the old firm equally. My hatred of Celtic grew when one of the "greatest supporters in the world" threw a CS gas canister into the East Stand. Then as the Hibs fans towards the south end of the East spilled onto the pitch for safety reasons, the Celtic fans starting singing "we are Celtic supporters". Bit controverisal, but if it wasn't for the wind-ups that would follow, I would prefer to see Hertz doing well than the infirm............but maybe, that is going too far!

JackRegan
28-01-2010, 11:16 AM
Aye a few Rebs made a comeback saldy, but going by the reponses here its a case of the Celtic fans being a mix of neds, normal decent people and boring gits..

Whodathunkit in a crowd of 40,000.....

--------
28-01-2010, 11:20 AM

No no no - cant be true, you must have misheard them - its only the rogue element of the away support that do that - is it not Mr Regan?:blah:

This is so. :agree:

These songs are sung only by the rogue element of the away support, and anyway, they're nothing more than cheery Oirish folk-songs, right?

That's the lie I've been told all my life.

I have to say I hate the old firm equally. My hatred of Celtic grew when one of the "greatest supporters in the world" threw a CS gas canister into the East Stand. Then as the Hibs fans towards the south end of the East spilled onto the pitch for safety reasons, the Celtic fans starting singing "we are Celtic supporters". Bit controverisal, but if it wasn't for the wind-ups that would follow, I would prefer to see Hertz doing well than the infirm............but maybe, that is going too far!

I took against them the first time one of them pissed down the back of my legs at ER in the days of the open terrace.

The Jock Stein business didn't help any.

I went off them further when I heard them chanting and singing for John Hughes (the first one) as Bobby Duncan was carried off the field after Hughes had deliberately broken Duncan's leg.

Nothing much I've encountered from them since has improved my opinion of them - arrogant, patronising, unpleasant, hygienically-challenged low-life for the most part.

The rest I know are just arrogant, patronising and unpleasant.

I know THREE who are exceptions to this general rule.

Rangers-Celtic.... Two sides of the same obnoxious coin.

BTW - while we're on the subject, JACK'S BACK! :rolleyes:

JackRegan
28-01-2010, 03:55 PM

Well considering the rebs last night were confined to a few hundred guys in one corner of teh ground then I think it kinda proves my point - but no really any point in going over this again.

Killiehibbie
28-01-2010, 04:01 PM
That'll have been PC Fitzgerald and PC Finnigan then?

Gerald Fitzpatrick and Patrick Fitzgerald I think they are called.

The Voice Of Reason
28-01-2010, 05:46 PM
Well considering the rebs last night were confined to a few hundred guys in one corner of teh ground then I think it kinda proves my point - but no really any point in going over this again.

Two questions Jackie Boy :-

1. Why did the Stewards not eject the offenders ? I could hear them loud and clear (and see them) from the away end for christ sake !

2. Why didn't any "decent" Celtic fan (like yourself perhaps) point them out to the stewards and demand they were evicted. YOU HEARD THEM AS YOU STATED EARLIER - SO WHY DIDN'T YOU DEMAND THEY WERE THROWN OUT ?

Singing songs about an organisation who have blown up innocent men, women and children is not very clever......in fact, I find it sickening. Do you ?

blackpoolhibs
28-01-2010, 05:55 PM

1. Why did the Stewards not eject the offenders ? I could hear them loud and clear (and see them) from the away end for christ sake !

2. Why didn't any "decent" Celtic fan (like yourself perhaps) point them out to the stewards and demand they were evicted. YOU HEARD THEM AS YOU STATED EARLIER - SO WHY DIDN'T YOU DEMAND THEY WERE THROWN OUT ?

Singing songs about an organisation who have blown up innocent men, women and children is not very clever......in fact, I find it sickening. Do you ?

minority, move along nothing to see here.:blah:

jacomo
28-01-2010, 07:27 PM

You would do this if you heard any Hibs fans singing an offensive chant?

I know I wouldn't, so I'm not going to get all sanctimonious about another set of supporters.

NAE NOOKIE
28-01-2010, 10:04 PM
The recent downturn in the crowds at Celtic are typical of the OF in general.

They think they have a devine right to win every game, which they usually do. So when that stops happening they dont have the experience of 90% of the worlds football fans to fall back on, that being that it is actually possible to be on a losing streak.

Yes ... Even sometimes for as much as 3 or 4 games in a row. No no .. its true you OF fans it really does happen in real football.

That is the test of a real fan you glory hunters, when your team is Tom Kite and you still go along to support them.

Dont get me wrong. Every team suffers a downturn in crowds when things are going badly. It just looks so much worse when everybody knows that your fans are the 'best in the world'.

Yes I know that OF fans DEMAND success. But I suppose that is only to be expected when for over half of you that never ending success was the reason for supporting them in the first place.

Otherwise Partick Thistle would be playing in front of 20,000 every week EH !!!

Hats off and Respect to you Partick Fans.

blackpoolhibs
28-01-2010, 10:11 PM
The recent downturn in the crowds at Celtic are typical of the OF in general.

They think they have a devine right to win every game, which they usually do. So when that stops happening they dont have the experience of 90% of the worlds football fans to fall back on, that being that it is actually possible to be on a losing streak.

Yes ... Even sometimes for as much as 3 or 4 games in a row. No no .. its true you OF fans it really does happen in real football.

That is the test of a real fan you glory hunters, when your team is Tom Kite and you still go along to support them.

Dont get me wrong. Every team suffers a downturn in crowds when things are going badly. It just looks so much worse when everybody knows that your fans are the 'best in the world'.

Yes I know that OF fans DEMAND success. But I suppose that is only to be expected when for over half of you that never ending success was the reason for supporting them in the first place.

Otherwise Partick Thistle would be playing in front of 20,000 every week EH !!!

Hats off and Respect to you Partick Fans.

Roughly 33% down from the 60k they usually get. That must be a worry for them. :faf: Imagine how many would be going if they had not won the league for nearly 60 years. :faf:

Carheenlea
28-01-2010, 10:20 PM
The republican chanting came from that corner which housed the "Green Brigade" fans group, who to be fair, tried to create a bit atmosphere over in their section. Yes, there was a couple of unsavory renditions of republican songs, but it was a small minority in a 40000 crowd. I noted a steward having words, so it was noted by the authorities. Be interesting to see if these sort of chants etc are going to creep back and become more prevalent at Celtic Park again? Must say, first time I`ve heard them there for a long time.

The Voice Of Reason
28-01-2010, 10:33 PM

I know I wouldn't, so I'm not going to get all sanctimonious about another set of supporters.

Songs about Stevie Fulton being ugly or Paul Hartley being gay for example are a little bit different to songs about a terrorist group who have blown up innocent men, women and children.

I am certainly no saint (and not many of us are), but I would not hesitate to either evict someone myself or ask for them to be evicted at Easter Road if a similair song was sung. End of story.

Were you at the game ? Cos if you were you would have heard them and seen them for yourself. They were at it outside the ground too.

The Voice Of Reason
28-01-2010, 10:38 PM
The republican chanting came from that corner which housed the "Green Brigade" fans group, who to be fair, tried to create a bit atmosphere over in their section. Yes, there was a couple of unsavory renditions of republican songs, but it was a small minority in a 40000 crowd. I noted a steward having words, so it was noted by the authorities. Be interesting to see if these sort of chants etc are going to creep back and become more prevalent at Celtic Park again? Must say, first time I`ve heard them there for a long time.

Listen, I have no problem with fans trying to create an atmosphere and I wouldn't even know if half of their songs are republican or not.

Songs like "I I IRA, IRA Rule OK" leave you in no doubt about what they are singing about though ! It is ridiculous, unnecessary and offensive IMHO. As per my OP, it was that song specifically I was referring to.

I still await Jack's reply to my questions "by the way". (Some weegie speak for you!)

jacomo
28-01-2010, 10:47 PM
Songs about Stevie Fulton being ugly or Paul Hartley being gay for example are a little bit different to songs about a terrorist group who have blown up innocent men, women and children.

I am certainly no saint (and not many of us are), but I would not hesitate to either evict someone myself or ask for them to be evicted at Easter Road if a similair song was sung. End of story.

Were you at the game ? Cos if you were you would have heard them and seen them for yourself. They were at it outside the ground too.

Nope I wasn't at the game sadly, but I believe you if you say the old elements were back to their worst.

Sir David Gray
28-01-2010, 11:43 PM
It was my first time at Parkhead last night and it was exactly as I had expected.

There is just something that I find absolutely nauseating about Celtic, as a club.

Rebel songs being played over the tannoy, rebel banners being hung out before the game and at half time and pro-IRA songs being belted out throughout the game, it was unbelievable.

It was probably from the same bunch of s*umbags that disrupted the minute's silence on Remembrance Sunday a couple of months ago at Falkirk. :bitchy:

I know Jack Regan has spoken on here of his deep dislike of the people who make up this Green Brigade group (or should that be ǝpɐƃıɹq uǝǝɹƃ :faf:, that's some protest they have with hanging their banner upside down by the way, that'll really get their message across!) and I would hope that the majority of Celtic fans are highly embarrassed and disgusted at their behaviour.

However Celtic, as a club, seems to revel in this type of thing and they play all the Irish stuff over the tannoy because they have to placate the thousands of people who travel to Parkhead every other week from the likes of Dublin, Cork and Limerick etc.

I'm sorry, but songs about "British oppression" (both by the fans and over the tannoy), banners about Bloody Sunday and songs about people being killed during The Troubles in Northern Ireland have absolutely SOD ALL to do with a Scottish football match and, in my opinion, have no place whatsoever at any SPL stadium. If you like to indulge in all that sort of stuff, save it for rallies and marches.

I am just so glad that Hibs have no such issues, either at Easter Road or from our away support. I can safely say that if I ever heard those sorts of songs or saw those sorts of banners at Easter Road, I would not be back.

Then we had the problems outside the stadium after the game. Old Firm fans being gracious in defeat, as per...:bitchy:

Greatest fans in the world - you must be joking.

Oh aye if we get our customary Parkhead humping, they'll be more than happy to patronise us and treat us as their "wee Irish cousins from the east" but as soon as we dare to beat them, all Hell breaks loose and we see what they're really like.

Still, at least they could console themselves last night by being safe in the knowledge that they play football the Glasgow Celtic way! :faf:

--------
28-01-2010, 11:54 PM
It was my first time at Parkhead last night and it was exactly as I had expected.

There is just something that I find absolutely nauseating about Celtic, as a club.

Rebel songs being played over the tannoy, rebel banners being hung out before the game and at half time and pro-IRA songs being belted out throughout the game, it was unbelievable.

It was probably from the same bunch of s*umbags that disrupted the minute's silence on Remembrance Sunday a couple of months ago at Falkirk. :bitchy:

I know Jack Regan has spoken on here of his deep dislike of the people who make up this Green Brigade group (or should that be ǝpɐƃıɹq uǝǝɹƃ :faf:, that's some protest they have with hanging their banner upside down by the way, that'll really get their message across!) and I would hope that the majority of Celtic fans are highly embarrassed and disgusted at their behaviour.

However Celtic, as a club, seems to revel in this type of thing and they play all the Irish stuff over the tannoy because they have to placate the thousands of people who travel to Parkhead every other week from the likes of Dublin, Cork and Limerick etc.

I'm sorry, but songs about "British oppression" (both by the fans and over the tannoy), banners about Bloody Sunday and songs about people being killed during The Troubles in Northern Ireland have absolutely SOD ALL to do with a Scottish football match and, in my opinion, have no place whatsoever at any SPL stadium. If you like to indulge in all that sort of stuff, save it for rallies and marches.

I am just so glad that Hibs have no such issues, either at Easter Road or from our away support. I can safely say that if I ever heard those sorts of songs or saw those sorts of banners at Easter Road, I would not be back.

Then we had the problems outside the stadium after the game. Old Firm fans being gracious in defeat, as per...:bitchy:

Oh aye if we get our customary Parkhead humping, they'll be more than happy to patronise us and treat us as their "wee Irish cousins from the east" but as soon as we dare to beat them, all Hell breaks loose and we see what they're really like.

Still, at least they could console themselves last night by being safe in the knowledge that they play football the Glasgow Celtic way! :faf:

The Voice Of Reason
29-01-2010, 11:54 AM

I am STILL awaiting a reply from Jack Regan by the way. Are you there Jackie Boy ?

heretoday
29-01-2010, 12:08 PM
They are a ghastly bunch to be sure.

JackRegan
29-01-2010, 12:55 PM

I am STILL awaiting a reply from Jack Regan by the way. Are you there Jackie Boy ?

Why?

Its been done to death on here. Save to say that there were no rebel songs on the Celtic park Public Address sytem.

NOLA
29-01-2010, 01:00 PM
TBH a trip to parkhead wouldn't be the same without the foot tapping Irish melodys and impromptu rousing 'rebel' songs and dont forget the greasy burger vans selling the world famous chips and curry sauce:drool:

JackRegan
29-01-2010, 01:30 PM
TBH a trip to parkhead wouldn't be the same without the foot tapping Irish melodys and impromptu rousing 'rebel' songs and dont forget the greasy burger vans selling the world famous chips and curry sauce:drool:

BTW the deedlee deedlee music does my head right in.

Funny how the best pre match Sellick boozers like MacChuills, Red Lizard, Admiral, Rab Ha's all play a mix of soul, punk, ska and classic disco.

Joe Baker II
29-01-2010, 01:39 PM

Excellent point, there have been sanctimonious twats posting rubbish like this in the past but Voice of Reason appears one of the worst, people like him make me embarassed to be a Hibs fan. BTW sad to have to post this this today as Hibs fans were superb at Parkhead on Wednesday.

Joe Baker II
29-01-2010, 01:42 PM

Another lot of sanctimonious rubbish I am afraid, I repeat again that people like you are an embarassment to Hibs.

JackRegan
29-01-2010, 01:48 PM
minority, move along nothing to see here.:blah:

I always maintyain it is a minority and that was shown on Wednesday, The green Brigade mob started singing Boys of the Old Brigade - the rest of teh crowd di not join in.

the Rebs do not get sung bythe whole stadium at CP. thats always what I've said and nothing has happened to change that.

BTW I think you are a wee bit obsessessed about the Celtic support BP, you certainly post a LOT about us.

Keith_M
29-01-2010, 01:51 PM
Ask the two Aberdeen fans that were beaten up on London Road after our last match at ER and I'm sure they won't think very highly of Hibs fans. There's good and bad* in every support.

* I felt a song coming on there :greengrin

blackpoolhibs
29-01-2010, 01:56 PM
I always maintyain it is a minority and that was shown on Wednesday, The green Brigade mob started singing Boys of the Old Brigade - the rest of teh crowd di not join in.

the Rebs do not get sung bythe whole stadium at CP. thats always what I've said and nothing has happened to change that.

BTW I think you are a wee bit obsessessed about the Celtic support BP, you certainly post a LOT about us.

Thats from a smellie on a Hibs site. I can tell you i have never posted once on any smellies site in my entire life. Obsessed, perhaps even you might see the irony in that quote. :faf::faf:

JackRegan
29-01-2010, 02:03 PM
Thats from a smellie on a Hibs site. I can tell you i have never posted once on any smellies site in my entire life. Obsessed, perhaps even you might see the irony in that quote. :faf::faf:

I comment on here to respond to posts about Celtic - you know give the Celtic side of things.

YOu are all over these threads from the word go. :greengrin

2Where's Jack" and "wunner whit Jack'll say tae that". :rolleyes:

blackpoolhibs
29-01-2010, 02:07 PM
I comment on here to respond to posts about Celtic - you know give the Celtic side of things.

YOu are all over these threads from the word go. :greengrin

2Where's Jack" and "wunner whit Jack'll say tae that". :rolleyes:

All over these threads my arse, just picking up on all the contradictions you come out with, over and over and over again . The conspiracy one being my particular favourite. :faf:

JackRegan
29-01-2010, 02:14 PM
All over these threads my arse, just picking up on all the contradictions you come out with, over and over and over again . The conspiracy one being my particular favourite. :faf:

I never used the "conspiracy" word. And I think I have been VERy consistent with my views. if you cannot grasp or understand them, then thats not my fault.

weecounty hibby
29-01-2010, 02:33 PM
I never used the "conspiracy" word. And I think I have been VERy consistent with my views. if you cannot grasp or understand them, then thats not my fault.
Just because you don't say the actual word doesn't mean you don't constantly bang on about it. The latest one being that Rangers get more OF decisions than you do even though you get them against the rest of us. Pathetic , tiresome and what we have all come to expect from 99.9% of the most bigotted dsgsting fans n the worl. even worse than Rangers.
Please don't give us the " I'm only here to defend Celtic" pish, you are trying to gve us the Celtic propoganda, most of which has been made up in your own heads and kept going by yourclub to excuse A. Crap teams, and B repulsive fans.

hibiedude
29-01-2010, 02:42 PM
Ask the two Aberdeen fans that were beaten up on London Road after our last match at ER and I'm sure they won't think very highly of Hibs fans. There's good and bad* in every support.

* I felt a song coming on there :greengrin

silverhibee
29-01-2010, 02:54 PM

Minority at home and majority when away from home Jack, the upside down brigade have been in that corner for a number of seasons singing there horrible wee ditty's, they must be an absolute embarassment to celtc fc and good decent celtc fans, yet your club strathclyde police and stewards all seem to turn a blind eye to them when your at home. Why.?
Its not that hard to identify them is it, they are probaly all STH as well which would make it easier for your club to weed them out and give them banning orders from all football grounds in Scotland, but your club do nothing about it, why is that.

Allant1981
29-01-2010, 04:20 PM
i was in the celtic end on wednesday(sat next to stevie frail) and to be honest I thought the celtic support was really quiet, maybe i dont know enough rebel songs but i didnt think they were that bad, have to say i thought the hibs support was amazing, never stopped singing the whole way thru and i heard a few laughs from the celtic coaching staff when the nade song was being sung

The Voice Of Reason
29-01-2010, 04:21 PM
Excellent point, there have been sanctimonious twats posting rubbish like this in the past but Voice of Reason appears one of the worst, people like him make me embarassed to be a Hibs fan. BTW sad to have to post this this today as Hibs fans were superb at Parkhead on Wednesday.

What an incredible post ! :faf:

I was disgusted at the specific IRA songs on Wed night. I have clearly stated that if similiar songs were sung at ER by Hibs fans, I would feel the same way and either evict the offenders myself or ask for them to be evicted.

Pretty straightforward stuff. How pray, does that make me sanctimonious ?

Also, if that makes you embarassed to be a Hibs fan, I suggest that you support another team, as if you read all the posts on this thread, almost all of the views echo mine.

Finally, I know this is immature, but you strike me as being a cretin, twat and perhaps even a bit of a trumpet......do forgive me if I am wrong sir. :agree:

xyz23jc
29-01-2010, 05:44 PM

Allant1981
29-01-2010, 06:25 PM
What an incredible post ! :faf:

I was disgusted at the specific IRA songs on Wed night. I have clearly stated that if similiar songs were sung at ER by Hibs fans, I would feel the same way and either evict the offenders myself or ask for them to be evicted.

Pretty straightforward stuff. How pray, does that make me sanctimonious ?

Also, if that makes you embarassed to be a Hibs fan, I suggest that you support another team, as if you read all the posts on this thread, almost all of the views echo mine.

Finally, I know this is immature, but you strike me as being a cretin, twat and perhaps even a bit of a trumpet......do forgive me if I am wrong sir. :agree:

I have to say I didnt think the celtic fans were that bad on wednesday, only heard them singing for a few mins and there wasnt that many of them doing it, why they feel the need to do it in a football stadium ill never know but cant say it really bothered me

Davy Mac
29-01-2010, 06:42 PM
There's probably a fair number of us middle aged types and above travelled to darkheid for years and seen and heard a lot worse.

Some of you will remember when a section of the Hibs fans charged into the Jungle looking for a scrap at one game in the mid 80's - quite entertaining really but from a distance of course:greengrin

I've sat in the Celtic end quite a few times since then and in fact fisted clenched when we have scored to some of my Sellick mates without too much disorder. And the troubles:greengrin have dampened down over the years.

However, what we're now starting to witness is the demise of the big 2 in Scotland and it's going to be very interesting to see what happens in the next few years as the ugly sisters start to SELL SELL SELL.

Maybe, just maybe their erses are starting to twitch.........:agree:

norhfc
29-01-2010, 06:58 PM

Funny how the best pre match Sellick boozers like MacChuills, Red Lizard, Admiral, Rab Ha's all play a mix of soul, punk, ska and classic disco.

MacChuills is a fantastic pub,had many a good night in there with its celtic clientel.Saw a brilliant Clash tribute band after a game once.Its been a while but will defo try get back....recomended.

tony higgins
29-01-2010, 08:16 PM
MacChuills is a fantastic pub,had many a good night in there with its celtic clientel.Saw a brilliant Clash tribute band after a game once.Its been a while but will defo try get back....recomended.

McChuills for many years had a sign outside it stating Straight No Chasers.

Sure when the pub opened at first the sign said "straight no chancers".

Believe the original McChuills in a different location catered for a slightly different clientele.

tony higgins
29-01-2010, 08:21 PM

Don,t mind if i stick to the Braemar do you, i prefer pubs that i can hear and see in.

tony higgins
29-01-2010, 08:34 PM
There's probably a fair number of us middle aged types and above travelled to darkheid for years and seen and heard a lot worse.

Some of you will remember when a section of the Hibs fans charged into the Jungle looking for a scrap at one game in the mid 80's - quite entertaining really but from a distance of course:greengrin

Remember one game in the early 80s, no trouble that i could see, me standing where i was sitting Wed night.

Cops kept parading past every two minutes with another daftie out the jungle.

Paper next day said 86 arrested.

Sir David Gray
30-01-2010, 07:35 PM
Why?

Its been done to death on here. Save to say that there were no rebel songs on the Celtic park Public Address sytem.

So "Let the people sing" isn't a rebel song then? :confused:

If I remember correctly, that was played twice over the tannoy on Wednesday night, once before the game and again at half time. It was definitely played at least once.

Another lot of sanctimonious rubbish I am afraid, I repeat again that people like you are an embarassment to Hibs.

Perhaps you might like to elaborate a little bit and say WHY you think my post was "sanctimonious rubbish" and how exactly I, and people like me, are an "embarrassment" to Hibs.

I've just had another look at my post and I still stand by every word.

Pretty Boy
30-01-2010, 07:45 PM
So "Let the people sing" isn't a rebel song then? :confused:

If I remember correctly, that was played twice over the tannoy on Wednesday night, once before the game and again at half time. It was definitely played at least once.

Perhaps you might like to elaborate a little bit and say WHY you think my post was "sanctimonious rubbish" and how exactly I, and people like me, are an "embarrassment" to Hibs.

I've just had another look at my post and I still stand by every word.

I can answer the bit in bold, it's not a rebel song. It may be sung by 'rebels' from time to time but the song in itself is not.

The majority of the lyrics are in regards to Irish oppression throughout history and how since the ancient days of Ireland music has been an integral part of life and has seen the people through some dark days.

Whether it has any place in a Scottish football stadium is another matter but IMO it's a fine song just like many other traditional Irish folk songs.:tin hat:

I should also point out i'm not in any way implying Hibs fans should start singing these songs.

erskine-hibby
30-01-2010, 08:07 PM
It matters not if it is 1, 10, or 99.9% of them sing rebel songs. The fact that they allow this at all shows what sellick, as a club and their so called supporters, really are.
As for songs about oppression, who are they being oppressed by then, if it is not aimed at the UK???? . Maybe instead of caling them 'rebel songs' they can call them 'oppression songs', maybe they can be justified then:rolleyes:

Pretty Boy
30-01-2010, 08:11 PM
It matters not if it is 1, 10, or 99.9% of them sing rebel songs. The fact that they allow this at all shows what sellick, as a club and their so called supporters, really are.
As for songs about oppression, who are they being oppressed by then, if it is not aimed at the UK???? . Maybe instead of caling them 'rebel songs' they can call them 'oppression songs', maybe they can be justified then:rolleyes:

Flower of Scotland makes reference to battles with the English, God save the Queen references rebellious Scots. Does that make them rebel songs?

People have always written songs about oppression, the blues being the most mainstream example. A song about being oppressed does not, IMHO, ammount to the same thing as a rebel song.

The Voice Of Reason
31-01-2010, 09:02 PM
Flower of Scotland makes reference to battles with the English, God save the Queen references rebellious Scots. Does that make them rebel songs?

People have always written songs about oppression, the blues being the most mainstream example. A song about being oppressed does not, IMHO, ammount to the same thing as a rebel song.

As I have stated previously, I don't know their songs and if they are or arent "rebel" songs.......and I couldn't care tbh.

My gripe was re the specific chanting of the "I I IRA, IRA Rule OK" song. A song about a terrorist group who have blown up innocent men, women and children. Nothing to do with Scottish football as far as most decent people are concerned. :grr:

Anyway, enough about decent people......interesting that Joe Baker II has not responded. Can't say I am surprised. :rolleyes:

LancashireHibby
31-01-2010, 09:32 PM

Agadoo, that sort of thing?

Pretty Boy
31-01-2010, 09:36 PM
As I have stated previously, I don't know their songs and if they are or arent "rebel" songs.......and I couldn't care tbh.

My gripe was re the specific chanting of the "I I IRA, IRA Rule OK" song. A song about a terrorist group who have blown up innocent men, women and children. Nothing to do with Scottish football as far as most decent people are concerned. :grr:

Anyway, enough about decent people......interesting that Joe Baker II has not responded. Can't say I am surprised. :rolleyes:

Fair enough mate. My original response was to the post which stated that Celtc play 'rebel' songs over the tannoy and the song i mentioned most definitely isn't such a song.

The songs the supporters in the stands sing are another matter altogether and anything glorifying the IRA, whether in it's current form or otherwise, is totally unacceptable. I also don't believe that the songs played over the tannoy belong in a Scottish football stadium and i think Celtc could help cut it out by not playing traditional Irish ditties over the PA system whether sectarian or otherwise.

JackRegan
01-02-2010, 08:28 AM
Agadoo, that sort of thing?

Bacarah. :wink::greengrin

Na. mair Lou Rawls, Harold Melvin and other Philadelphia type stuff.

JackRegan
01-02-2010, 08:30 AM
Don,t mind if i stick to the Braemar do you, i prefer pubs that i can hear and see in.

I used to go in the Braemar for a quickie every Saturday when at home.

JackRegan
01-02-2010, 08:40 AM

I've sat in the Celtic end quite a few times since then and in fact fisted clenched when we have scored to some of my Sellick mates without too much disorder. And the troubles:greengrin have dampened down over the years.

However, what we're now starting to witness is the demise of the big 2 in Scotland and it's going to be very interesting to see what happens in the next few years as the ugly sisters start to SELL SELL SELL.

Maybe, just maybe their erses are starting to twitch.........:agree:

That was Mo Johnstons debut match in October 1984. Celtic won 3-0 with 3 late goals.

The game up until then was pretty dire, but despite the best efforst of the Hibs fans you never made the Jungle. :greengrin

The fighting was confined to the "Rangers End" and I remember a Hibs skinhead being a particulalry fearsome looking heid banger. I was in the Rangers end that day, as Celtic fans could still go to the end we were shooting in to, so that meant walking to that end for the second half most weeks.

I remember the polis giving it a seriously wide berath as the fighting lasted for a quite a while with Hibs fans more than holding their own until Celti'c re-enforcements arrived from the jungle. This was when the polis thought they should get involved as it that meant THEY could steam into the Hibs fans with the knowledge that Celtic fans were doing the same. I remember fearsome looking mad skinhead getting jumped by about 6 polis.

Not a mention in any media outlet the next day and hardly an eyelid was batted. Strangely enough when Hibs came back to CP in the March, there was still no segregation, although I don't recall any rammying at that game.

Whiel not wishing for a return to mindlessrunning battles, football today is completely sanitised, yet it would appear that its not sanitised enough for some. :rolleyes:

StevieC
01-02-2010, 08:52 AM
The green Brigade mob started singing Boys of the Old Brigade - the rest of the crowd did not join in.

They dont join in with anything though so it's hardly a stance against those singing it!!

:rolleyes:

StevieC
01-02-2010, 09:02 AM
with Hibs fans more than holding their own

By "more than holding their own" what you actually mean is "knocking 10 shades of s**t out of".

I recall the "jungle" getting involved because the "jungle" was actually attacked.

JackRegan
01-02-2010, 09:05 AM
They dont join in with anything though so it's hardly a stance against those singing it!!

:rolleyes:

When the whole of Celtic Park sing, on those occasions when it does happen, its not rebel songs that gets sung en masse.

Subtle difference, when you look at how the whole of Ibrox used to belt out the Billy Bioys or sings the Sash or derry's Walls.

BTW Its only really this season, with the Green Brigade sitting togther in numbers, that the Rebs have made s light comeback at CP. They are a hardcore group who are making a concerted effiort to get these songs sung again, FFS I even had it out with one who ws pisssed off and said

"We take 80,000 fans to Seville and not one Rebel Song was sung - shocking" We're dealing with a small element, who have read the Ladybird book of Socialism and Irish Republicanism, wave Che Guevara flags, while not having the intellectual capacity to tie their own shoelaces. Dafties and hardline politics don't mix. When you do, you get guys like the Green Brigade. Die Hard Celtic men, no doubt but ****ing stupid. A few thousand aside, The Celtic support is not interested in belting out Rebel tuns anymore.

Seriosuly, this has been done to death on here, I am more than happy to continue this by PM, but not on the main board.

JackRegan
01-02-2010, 09:18 AM
By "more than holding their own" what you actually mean is "knocking 10 shades of s**t out of".

I recall the "jungle" getting involved because the "jungle" was actually attacked.

Must be thinking of a different game as there was not fighting in the jungle that day, it was at the Jungle end of the Rangers end. I've NEVER seen teh Jungle attacked and I remember Glasgow and Dryborough Cup games when the huns got part of it. Your in fantasy land if your saying Hibs fans went in the jungle and started battering Celtic fans in there.

the Celtic fans that the Hibs fans started battering that day were not exactly the fighting type, as that "type" did not generally go into the old Rangers End. The"up for it" guys then left the jungle, although the stewards tried to close the gates from the jungle to the Rangers ENd, but plenty still got in. the Hibs fans involved (or the ones who never decided to dispersed back to the snae Hibs fans, then went/got chased to the front and got a doing and then got lifted. Actually heard two reasons for how it started. One being that a Hibs fan, who was the wee brother of one of the nutters got a doing in the bogs, the other being simply that the aforementioned fearsome skinhead and his mates started winding up a group of Celtic fans, Celtic fans (about 4 or 5 of them) laid into the 4 or 5 Hibs fans, only to find themselves surrounded by about 60 or 70 Hibs fans who had been wiating on it kicking off. ALso heard from a reasonably well know former HEarts hooligan (from Loanhead - a big tall skinny guy who will now be about 43) - that there were Hearts fans involved as well.

if you are thinking on a different game, then fair enough, but I'm describing a game in October 84, Mo Johnstons debut.

Dashing Bob S
01-02-2010, 05:33 PM
Agree with Forever Hibs. LTPS is NOT a rebel or sectarian song, but in the context of Scotland, being played at a football match, it takes on a sectarian hue.

'Let the people sing their stories and their songs and the music of their native land, their lullabies and battle cries' etc .

The problem is that the 'native land' they are celebrating is NOT their native land. Celebrating the 'battle cries' of another country is grossly inappropriate at a football game in modern Scotland, and it's shameful that Celtic play it. I'm sure they know that this legitimises their Headbanger Tendency, and if they were serious about ending sectarianism, they'd stop it right away. But that won't happen because just like the Huns, they're always compelled to give a little nod and wink to the flat-Earthers who've lined their pockets for generations.

Davy Mac
01-02-2010, 06:34 PM
Must be thinking of a different game as there was not fighting in the jungle that day, it was at the Jungle end of the Rangers end. I've NEVER seen teh Jungle attacked and I remember Glasgow and Dryborough Cup games when the huns got part of it. Your in fantasy land if your saying Hibs fans went in the jungle and started battering Celtic fans in there.

the Celtic fans that the Hibs fans started battering that day were not exactly the fighting type, as that "type" did not generally go into the old Rangers End. The"up for it" guys then left the jungle, although the stewards tried to close the gates from the jungle to the Rangers ENd, but plenty still got in. the Hibs fans involved (or the ones who never decided to dispersed back to the snae Hibs fans, then went/got chased to the front and got a doing and then got lifted. Actually heard two reasons for how it started. One being that a Hibs fan, who was the wee brother of one of the nutters got a doing in the bogs, the other being simply that the aforementioned fearsome skinhead and his mates started winding up a group of Celtic fans, Celtic fans (about 4 or 5 of them) laid into the 4 or 5 Hibs fans, only to find themselves surrounded by about 60 or 70 Hibs fans who had been wiating on it kicking off. ALso heard from a reasonably well know former HEarts hooligan (from Loanhead - a big tall skinny guy who will now be about 43) - that there were Hearts fans involved as well.

if you are thinking on a different game, then fair enough, but I'm describing a game in October 84, Mo Johnstons debut.

Cannae believe you remember this stuff Jack!!!:wink:

When Hibs attacked the jungle was it not about 2.15pm.....:greengrin

Nah seriously, a bit mental that day, I also remember most supporter buses windows got put in.

A wee story for you, I'm sure that said skinheaid and his crew were at castle greyskull for a Hibs game around the same era and apparently a rankers fan tanned the back window of their bus but got pulled onto the bus by the Hibs fans and dropped off at Harthill - hilarious stuff...:hahaha::rotflmao:

Sir David Gray
03-02-2010, 12:13 AM
I can answer the bit in bold, it's not a rebel song. It may be sung by 'rebels' from time to time but the song in itself is not.

The majority of the lyrics are in regards to Irish oppression throughout history and how since the ancient days of Ireland music has been an integral part of life and has seen the people through some dark days.

Whether it has any place in a Scottish football stadium is another matter but IMO it's a fine song just like many other traditional Irish folk songs.:tin hat:

I should also point out i'm not in any way implying Hibs fans should start singing these songs.

For those who are oppressed
In song you can protest.

I would have said that a song with those kind of lyrics in it is certainly a rebel song. It's maybe not quite as "hardcore" as songs such as 'The Boys of the Old Brigade' but I would still say it's a rebel song. It quite clearly is referring to being oppressed by the British. I know you've said in another post that, in your view, a song about oppression is not necessarily a rebel song but I would personally disagree with that.

Also, I would still completely stand by my original point which was that songs like that should not be played by any Scottish football club, whether it's a "fine song" or not.

I would possibly rather see our colours changed to maroon than hear all that Irish stuff getting played at Easter Road.

I should finish off by acknowledging the fact that it is a minority within Parkhead who sing these songs (at least it was last Wednesday) and most of the problematic songs were coming from the corner of the ground where the Green Brigade was situated. I would probably say that it was less than a thousand who were singing those songs throughout the match.

Unfortunately for Celtic, all these people seem to go to their away games and are extremely vocal.

tony higgins
03-02-2010, 12:27 AM
I would possibly rather see our colours changed to maroon

:faf::faf::faf::faf::faf::faf:

Anto the Hibernian
03-02-2010, 08:51 AM
I would have said that a song with those kind of lyrics in it is certainly a rebel song. It's maybe not quite as "hardcore" as songs such as 'The Boys of the Old Brigade' but I would still say it's a rebel song. It quite clearly is referring to being oppressed by the British. I know you've said in another post that, in your view, a song about oppression is not necessarily a rebel song but I would personally disagree with that.

Also, I would still completely stand by my original point which was that songs like that should not be played by any Scottish football club, whether it's a "fine song" or not.

I would possibly rather see our colours changed to maroon than hear all that Irish stuff getting played at Easter Road.

I should finish off by acknowledging the fact that it is a minority within Parkhead who sing these songs (at least it was last Wednesday) and most of the problematic songs were coming from the corner of the ground where the Green Brigade was situated. I would probably say that it was less than a thousand who were singing those songs throughout the match.

Unfortunately for Celtic, all these people seem to go to their away games and are extremely vocal.

Bore off please

The_Todd
03-02-2010, 08:53 AM
Never mind, you should read Kerrydale Street. They've had their sharp objects confiscated.

Brizo
03-02-2010, 09:13 AM

Bit harsh there. Personally I quite like the melodious harmonies of The Corrs and B*witched.

Cest la vie

blueisthecolour
03-02-2010, 02:15 PM
Has Jack been on, just checking he was ok after the trouble in Kilmarnock last night, although nothing in the papers, surprise surprise.

sunshine1875
03-02-2010, 02:22 PM
Has Jack been on, just checking he was ok after the trouble in Kilmarnock last night, although nothing in the papers, surprise surprise.

What trouble was that?

Killiehibbie
03-02-2010, 02:26 PM
They even scare other celtic fans. A taxi driver was just telling me he got a hire to Glasgow last night, passenger was a female celtic supporter who would rather pay £40 than use her return ticket for the train. She described her journey to the game as a nightmare and feared for her safety due to the animals wearing celtic colours. Probably a bit harmless banter though.

Killiehibbie
03-02-2010, 02:27 PM
What trouble was that?

Somebody threw a bar of soap in amongst them and several passers by were injured in the ensuing stampede.

blueisthecolour
03-02-2010, 04:32 PM
What trouble was that?

There was trouble after the game, some celtic fans fighting each other then some killie fans passing got it, it was near a hotel near the ground.