PDA

View Full Version : YOGI - Tactical Genius?

bmc_1980
27-01-2010, 09:32 PM
what did he see with taking deeks and nishy off??

Liam89
27-01-2010, 09:34 PM
He knows all.

Ell_Chrisso
27-01-2010, 09:35 PM
Galbraith has pace, and ability to drive and take people on. Riordan doesn't

stubru59
27-01-2010, 09:35 PM

Don't know, but he had me worried, as he had just reduced our average height by about six and half inches.

madabouthibs
27-01-2010, 09:46 PM
I think he wanted some pace for the "out ball" and a wee bulldog type character in midfield.
Deeks and Nish aren't exactly known for their battling/hard tackling/hustling/fast running skills. The ball was coming out but not sticking.

I was bemused as well, but with afterthought it was an absolute masterstroke! :thumbsup:

matty_f
27-01-2010, 09:48 PM
I texted 65bd saying it was a strange substitution.:greengrin

'Mon the Yogi!!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

bmc_1980
27-01-2010, 09:49 PM
who cares to be honest if yogi is a genius or not - cracking result!!

just need to make sure we take care of the teams like st mirren...:thumbsup:

Hibernating (Im a stoopid yam tramp)
27-01-2010, 09:49 PM
Well done to Galbraith. I seem to recall Ivan Sproule scoring at Darkeid in our last win there in 05. Pace matched to a bit of hungry tenacity is what you need to upset them there.

ALF TUPPER
27-01-2010, 09:53 PM
I well................

I think he wanted to play a diamond formation thingy with wingbackers
and someone in the hole supporting the goalshooters :thumbsup: I obviously know my stuff

Think i might apply for the Celtc job tomorrow. :greengrin

Mickey Edwards
27-01-2010, 09:55 PM
?Stevenson for Riordan to try and shut down our left and their rt flank
?Galbraith for Nish for pace on the counter , to give them a problem and to keep them thinking...also for dead ball stuff with Riordan off

just heard bits and pieces on the radio so pure conjecture

Glory glory

sounds like Hanlon made another point on Yogi's behalf for Barr ..... we already have the best young ball playing centre half in the country.

Part/Time Supporter
27-01-2010, 09:58 PM

That Nish was having one of his patented stinkers and that Riordan hadn't touched the ball for about 20 minutes?

zlatan
27-01-2010, 10:01 PM
The subs were exactly what we needed as we were being completely overrun in midfield and if it wasn't for Celtic being so laughably awful in front of goal the game should have been all over. All credit to Hughes for seeing it and taking the right action.

I said in the match thread and still do think we were playing for the draw with those subs but it was the only thing we could do and yet again got the beautiful bit of luck with the winner :thumbsup:

jakedance
27-01-2010, 10:09 PM
Yogi knows what he's doing. It won't always work but he knows his job, nae question about that.

I never saw this earlier so it was interesting to watch Yogi's pre-match interview after seeing the team win tonight. For the first time in my life of watching Hibs I think we've got a man in charge that speaks for me. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/8481860.stm

You can see what he's asking of his players and you have to give him credit. We had a wee slump there and you couldn't ask for a better reaction.

Tricky game for him on Saturday now though, trying to maintain that momentum.

Jonnyboy
27-01-2010, 10:13 PM
I think he wanted some pace for the "out ball" and a wee bulldog type character in midfield. Deeks and Nish aren't exactly known for their battling/hard tackling/hustling/fast running skills. The ball was coming out but not sticking.

I was bemused as well, but with afterthought it was an absolute masterstroke! :thumbsup:

Absolutely spot on :top marks

Nishy was becoming increasingly detached and Deeks, bless his wee cotton socks, found that defending's not as easy as striking :greengrin

machibby
27-01-2010, 10:13 PM
Big thanks to Mowbray, Collins and Mixu for quiting us in perfect timing allowing us to have the class that is Yogi Hughes

Shrekko
27-01-2010, 10:16 PM
That Nish was having one of his patented stinkers and that Riordan hadn't touched the ball for about 20 minutes?

I've got to say I dont think Nish was really having a stinker- he was having to drop deep and was starved of any real service up top. Stokes is a cracking striker but his hold up play is really poor so therefore I'm still surprised Nish was hooked.

Deeks I felt should have been on the bench at the start in lieu of some midfield steel. He certainly had a quiet game but me and the folk I was watching the game with are pretty sure Stevenson touched the ball once in the 25 minutes or so he was on when he sliced the ball out for a corner! I dont think Lewis is an SPL player so again I was surprised at that change.

I'm sure there was a reason for it but I wouldnt put our win down to any kind of tactical genius, as delighted as I am. The truth is, is that if we'd lost which was more than possible I think people would have been wondering what the heck it was all about.

As I say, I'm absolutely ecstatic but I dont think we should go down the line of everything being genius when we get the result and everything being inept management when we dont. Never at any time after the subs came on did Hibs look good... but yeah..who cares :greengrin

Hibernating (Im a stoopid yam tramp)
27-01-2010, 10:19 PM
And Nish sitting deep on a big pitch is next to useless because he doesnt have the pace get past anybody, hence why he's always gash at Greyskull or the San Giro.

hfc rd
27-01-2010, 10:57 PM
He is by far the best manager in the league.

Baldy Foghorn
27-01-2010, 11:17 PM

Deeks did hee haw tonight hence why he was subbed.....

Galbraith deserved his chance and has certainly staked a claim now, well done to him......

blackpoolhibs
27-01-2010, 11:18 PM

Galbraith deserved his chance and has certainly staked a claim now, well done to him......

Great substitutions by Yogi, what a manager eh.:thumbsup:

Baldy Foghorn
27-01-2010, 11:21 PM
Great substitutions by Yogi, what a manager eh.:thumbsup:

Not really, it was a total backs to the wall display and a smash and grab.......

Why has Galbraith not featured more recently?

blackpoolhibs
27-01-2010, 11:22 PM
Not really, it was a total backs to the wall display and a smash and grab.......

:faf::faf:

Baldy Foghorn
27-01-2010, 11:23 PM
:faf::faf:

Really BH what is your problem??

Part/Time Supporter
27-01-2010, 11:24 PM
I've got to say I dont think Nish was really having a stinker- he was having to drop deep and was starved of any real service up top. Stokes is a cracking striker but his hold up play is really poor so therefore I'm still surprised Nish was hooked.

Deeks I felt should have been on the bench at the start in lieu of some midfield steel. He certainly had a quiet game but me and the folk I was watching the game with are pretty sure Stevenson touched the ball once in the 25 minutes or so he was on when he sliced the ball out for a corner! I dont think Lewis is an SPL player so again I was surprised at that change.

I'm sure there was a reason for it but I wouldnt put our win down to any kind of tactical genius, as delighted as I am. The truth is, is that if we'd lost which was more than possible I think people would have been wondering what the heck it was all about.

As I say, I'm absolutely ecstatic but I dont think we should go down the line of everything being genius when we get the result and everything being inept management when we dont. Never at any time after the subs came on did Hibs look good... but yeah..who cares :greengrin

Okay, it was difficult for him in the attacking sense, but he lost Fortune for their goal.

Jonnyboy
27-01-2010, 11:25 PM

Oi you, it it really that hard to acknowledge the tactics and subs as being spot on? Sure, Celtic dominated possession but as Mr Mowbray has often said in the past 'possession doesn't win you games, goals do'

You call it backs to the wall, I call it playing on their weaknesses :wink:

blackpoolhibs
27-01-2010, 11:25 PM
Really BH what is your problem??

I have no problem, in fact i'm as high as a kite tonight. :thumbsup:

Baldy Foghorn
27-01-2010, 11:27 PM
Oi you, it it really that hard to acknowledge the tactics and subs as being spot on? Sure, Celtic dominated possession but as Mr Mowbray has often said in the past 'possession doesn't win you games, goals do'

You call it backs to the wall, I call it playing on their weaknesses :wink:

We struggled at times to get out of our half, and at times the pressure was relentless.....

We never really played our usual attacking football, and created less than a handful of chances......

Yes we won, but have played better and lost.....Just trying to keep a sense of perspective on things

Baldy Foghorn
27-01-2010, 11:28 PM

Yip me too, but need to take some downers before work.....

Jonnyboy
27-01-2010, 11:29 PM
We struggled at times to get out of our half, and at times the pressure was relentless.....

We never really played our usual attacking football, and created less than a handful of chances......

Yes we won, but have played better and lost.....Just trying to keep a sense of perspective on things

Fair do's but it's hard when you've just watched Hibs win at Parkhead :greengrin

blackpoolhibs
27-01-2010, 11:30 PM

Yet still no real praise for a team thats won in Glasgow. I used to be called a D&G, maybe time to hand over the baton.:greengrin

Baldy Foghorn
27-01-2010, 11:31 PM
Fair do's but it's hard when you've just watched Hibs win at Parkhead :greengrin

Oh I know, the sense of elation at scoring a last minute goal through there was immense, and the boot was on the other foot tonight, seen it happen against us all too often.....

Delighted with the 3 points, just trying to stay calm and level headed, don't want to start touting us for the double......

Jonnyboy
27-01-2010, 11:32 PM
Oh I know, the sense of elation at scoring a last minute goal through there was immense, and the boot was on the other foot tonight, seen it happen against us all too often.....

Delighted with the 3 points, just trying to stay calm and level headed, don't want to start touting us for the double......

Why not? :greengrin

It's just a nice warm feeling night tonight I reckon :agree:

Baldy Foghorn
27-01-2010, 11:32 PM
Yet still no real praise for a team thats won in Glasgow. I used to be called a D&G, maybe time to hand over the baton.:greengrin

The performance was not great so should I praise that??

Yes well done Hibs we got 3 points, well done to each player and the coaching staff........

That better?

silverhibee
27-01-2010, 11:36 PM

Deeks corner got Hibs there first goal with a great delivery, so he hardly done hee haw.

Baldy Foghorn
27-01-2010, 11:37 PM
Deeks corner got Hibs there first goal with a great delivery, so he hardly done hee haw.

Great contribution that.....Well done for pointing that out.....

He must be knackered after his great corner

silverhibee
27-01-2010, 11:37 PM

Bet your no as high as me.:wink::thumbsup:

Jonnyboy
27-01-2010, 11:39 PM
Great contribution that.....Well done for pointing that out.....

He must be knackered after his great corner

Tsk tsk Mr. Grumpy :wink:

I actually thought Deek tracked back well tonight.

Baldy Foghorn
27-01-2010, 11:42 PM
Tsk tsk Mr. Grumpy :wink:

I actually thought Deek tracked back well tonight.

Got to say Johnnyboy that he regularly disappoints me these days, maybe I am being hyper critical of him, I know he is a great player, just expect much more from him......

Jonnyboy
27-01-2010, 11:44 PM
Got to say Johnnyboy that he regularly disappoints me these days, maybe I am being hyper critical of him, I know he is a great player, just expect much more from him......

The fact that you expect it indicates he is capable of it :agree: I'd rather have him in the team than out mind :greengrin

Shrekko
27-01-2010, 11:45 PM
Okay, it was difficult for him in the attacking sense, but he lost Fortune for their goal.

He did :agree:

Baldy Foghorn
27-01-2010, 11:46 PM
The fact that you expect it indicates he is capable of it :agree: I'd rather have him in the team than out mind :greengrin

Right need to grab some beauty sleep before work......

Will I get any shut eye dreaming of a double and a champions league place???:greengrin

blackpoolhibs
28-01-2010, 10:35 AM
The performance was not great so should I praise that??

Yes well done Hibs we got 3 points, well done to each player and the coaching staff........

That better?

The performance was great imho. There are different ways to perform. You can have skillful attacking football,or you can have gutsy in yer face stuff. We had the later last night, and it contributed to a great win. Both deserve praise, dont you think?:confused:

Craig_in_Prague
28-01-2010, 10:41 AM
The performance was great imho. There are different ways to perform. You can have skillful attacking football,or you can have gutsy in yer face stuff. We had the later last night, and it contributed to a great win. Both deserve praise, dont you think?:confused:

But not to forget, there was some nice football played too :agree:

okay, mostly in the 1st half; but still, we can play a bit as well,
so to have a mix of working hard, passing well, counter attacking well, good team shape, etc, all deserves credited, the players just kept going all night, and got their rewards. :top marks

blackpoolhibs
28-01-2010, 10:43 AM
But not to forget, there was some nice football played too :agree:

okay, mostly in the 1st half; but still, we can play a bit as well,
so to have a mix of working hard, passing well, counter attacking well, good team shape, etc, all deserves credited, the players just kept going all night, and got their rewards. :top marks

:top marks

hibbie02
28-01-2010, 10:52 AM
And people were asking why Galbraith was always being quoted as the answer to left midfield......... Maybe now he can play wide left and Deeks and Stokes can play up front. For those that say Deeks is not an out and out striker, I would quote you what he did against Irvine and against Hamiton. He has the instinct and there is nothing to stop him interchanging with Galbraith as required.

copycat
28-01-2010, 08:33 PM
A board full of managers eh 

it coincided with mcgeady switching sides and with wotherspoon and mcbride/miller doubling up he had to switch something as deeks wouldn't cover Murray and therefor give Celtic a huge gap with mcginn and mcgeady attacking down the right, Stevenson went straight across and covered that outlet, Galbraith was put on for exactly the same reason with McCourt and mcgeady wouldn't track back and that is exactly where the opening arrIved from and 3 points in the bag!!!