PDA

View Full Version : I'm Through In Glasgow Today - My Observations

The Voice Of Reason
27-01-2010, 02:18 PM
I am through in the "City of Culture" working today, heading to Darkheid after work.

Having just been out for a quick stroll in Glasgow City Centre, here are my observations :-

1. Glasgow is a horribly ugly city

2. The people talk in a rather schemie accent through here (they say "by the way" a lot)

3. The people themselves are extremely ugly (most of them that I could see anyway)

4. Loads of people smoke through here

5. A lot of the women through here have tattoos, are missing teeth and wear shellsuits

6. It strikes me that in all sorts of ways Edinburgh is more than slightly superior to Glasgow

Anyone else noticed this ? Or do you have any more observations about Glasgow or weegies in general ?!?

Hainan Hibs
27-01-2010, 02:24 PM
Point 6 sums it up, Edinburgh is superior in each and every way:agree:

The Voice Of Reason
27-01-2010, 02:28 PM
Point 6 sums it up, Edinburgh is superior in each and every way:agree:

Indubitably :agree: :wink:

I used to go out with a bird from Glasgow too.......can't think how I ever put up with that accent !

Betty Boop
27-01-2010, 02:28 PM
Glasgow has much better shopping facilities than Edinburgh. :greengrin

bighairyfaeleith
27-01-2010, 02:30 PM

women shop - Men drink and go to the football

Therefore Edinburgh is much much better :wink:

hibadelic
27-01-2010, 02:31 PM

Is that shopping facilities as in, erm, shops?

dawn
27-01-2010, 02:35 PM
They paint their windows black, or is it dirt! :greengrin

Antifa Hibs
27-01-2010, 02:36 PM
Going by some of the theories on here every city in this world is a ******hole. Every city wether its Milan, Paris, London or Edinburgh & Glasgow has its shady characters. Its deprived cooncil area's. Glasgow is a ****hole if you concentrate on that, but so is Edinburgh then if your going that way. I'm assuming the Glasgow bashers have never ventured out from their bungalows in their middle class tory area's and went into Niddrie, Muirhoose, banana flats in Leith etc etc. :greengrin

Ray_
27-01-2010, 02:40 PM
Through at Darkheid for the 93 league cup final & found the fish & chip shop had a full grill over the counter area. You had to put your money in the type of thing that you have in overnight petrol stations & then you collected your supper from the same place. It is the only place I've ever witnessed that sort of security in a fast food outlet.

Pretty Boy
27-01-2010, 02:41 PM
I like Glasgow. The pedestrianised city centre is a great idea. There are some very attractive buildings, theres a lot of good local pubs as well as decent clubs and music venues. Theres a lively local music scene, a lot of the locals are very friendly and helpful and the subway(p1sh though it is, is handy and a better idea than trams).

Don't get me wrong i prefer Edinburgh but it's not without it's dodgy areas and shady characters, much the same as Glasgow.

bighairyfaeleith
27-01-2010, 02:42 PM
Going by some of the theories on here every city in this world is a ******hole. Every city wether its Milan, Paris, London or Edinburgh & Glasgow has its shady characters. Its deprived cooncil area's. Glasgow is a ****hole if you concentrate on that, but so is Edinburgh then if your going that way. I'm assuming the Glasgow bashers have never ventured out from their bungalows in their middle class tory area's and went into Niddrie, Muirhoose, banana flats in Leith etc etc. :greengrin

No, Glasgow is a ****hole populated by bigoted buckfast drinking neds, while Edinburgh is one of Europes finest cosmopolitan capital cities. I really hate going to Glasgow, unfortunately I am through their all too often nowadays and the best thing about it is the road out! :soapbox:

bighairyfaeleith
27-01-2010, 02:43 PM
I am through in the "City of Culture" working today, heading to Darkheid after work.

Having just been out for a quick stroll in Glasgow City Centre, here are my observations :-

2. The people talk in a rather schemie accent through here (they say "by the way" a lot)

3. The people themselves are extremely ugly (most of them that I could see anyway)

5. A lot of the women through here have tattoos, are missing teeth and wear shellsuits

6. It strikes me that in all sorts of ways Edinburgh is more than slightly superior to Glasgow

Anyone else noticed this ? Or do you have any more observations about Glasgow or weegies in general ?!?

To be fair to glasgow, you could also be describing Gorgie (AKA Little Glasgow) :greengrin

tony higgins
27-01-2010, 02:44 PM
The only city i know of that uses a couple of hundred police to protect football fans at their home ground from the locals.

Ritchie
27-01-2010, 02:45 PM

i have to admit... you see a lot more good looking girls in glasgow than you do in edinburgh.

Ritchie
27-01-2010, 02:46 PM
I like Glasgow. The pedestrianised city centre is a great idea. There are some very attractive buildings, theres a lot of good local pubs as well as decent clubs and music venues. Theres a lively local music scene, a lot of the locals are very friendly and helpful and the subway(p1sh though it is, is handy and a better idea than trams).

Don't get me wrong i prefer Edinburgh but it's not without it's dodgy areas and shady characters, much the same as Glasgow.

i agree 100% :top marks

--------
I have no observations to make but these two.

1. I don't come from Edinburgh. I come from Leith. Leith is NOT Edinburgh.

2. I find Edinburgh people on the whole just like everyone else. I find Glasgow people on the whole very much like everyone else. But I find scoundrels in both cities, and crashing snobs in both cities, and I don't like either group, whichever the city I'm in.

That is all. :cool2:

Dunc89

Typical Edinburgh "I have a huge chip on my shoulder" post.

1. Have you ventured to the West End at all? The leafy Southside? Trongate? Merchant city? Glasgow can be a beautiful city, but like all, is not exempt from Dickensian polarisation of wealth. This is perhaps more pronounced in a city like Glasgow. However, it is far from an ugly city, and saying that merely shows your own ignorance of the place.

2. At least people still have accents in Glasgow. Even the very few Edinburgh accents that do remain, don't kid yourself into thinking their some kind of poetic dialect - they can be as schemie as anywhere. Eh?

3. You may be on to something here. But, again, lets not pretend Edinburgh is full of oil paintings. One look at Section N and you have plenty evidence against.

4. Loads of people smoke everywhere, though it is more prevelant in Glasgow thanks to the Dickensian "tale of two cities" abovementioned.

5. Again, Section N.

6. Again, Section N. Seriously though, Edinburgh is superior in terms of a tourist location. It's a stunning city, steeped in history. It has a very different character to Glasgow though. Glasgow trumps Edinburgh in music scenes, bands and venues, clubs, comedy, good bars without being populated by absolute w**kers, lack of jack wills rugby posh boys, restaurants and eating, shopping (by a long, long way)... it's a far more modern city, and a far more vibrant one.

Different strokes for different folks though.

Fortunately for Edinburgh, it is home to the greatest institution on planet Earth, which more than redeems for its shortcomings.

Come on Hibs, intae these weegies tonight.

The Voice Of Reason
27-01-2010, 02:48 PM

Come on, own up. You must be one of the following people :-

1. Stevie Wonder
2. David Blunkett
3. The boy from Peters and Lee (one for the older fraternity!)
or
4. Csaba Lazlo

Which one is it ?!? :wink: :greengrin

tony higgins
27-01-2010, 02:48 PM

2. I find Edinburgh people on the whole just like everyone else. I find Glasgow people on the whole very much like everyone else. But I find scoundrels in both cities, and crashing snobs in both cities, and I don't like either group, whichever the city I'm in.

:top marks

Was starting to worry there was no Leithers left.

Kato
27-01-2010, 02:49 PM
a lot of the locals are very friendly and helpful

A local in Glasgow told me once that the difference between people from Glasgow and Edinburgh was that "Glasweegy-yins are Pure Dead Waah-Rum".

Still don't know what he was on about.

Don't go too far off the beaten track OP, they can steal the sugar out yer tea.

Mon Dieu4
27-01-2010, 02:50 PM

1. Have you ventured to the West End at all? The leafy Southside? Trongate? Merchant city? Glasgow can be a beautiful city, but like all, is not exempt from Dickensian polarisation of wealth. This is perhaps more pronounced in a city like Glasgow. However, it is far from an ugly city, and saying that merely shows your own ignorance of the place.

2. At least people still have accents in Glasgow. Even the very few Edinburgh accents that do remain, don't kid yourself into thinking their some kind of poetic dialect - they can be as schemie as anywhere. Eh?

3. You may be on to something here. But, again, lets not pretend Edinburgh is full of oil paintings. One look at Section N and you have plenty evidence against.

4. Loads of people smoke everywhere, though it is more prevelant in Glasgow thanks to the Dickensian "tale of two cities" abovementioned.

5. Again, Section N.

6. Again, Section N. Seriously though, Edinburgh is superior in terms of a tourist location. It's a stunning city, steeped in history. It has a very different character to Glasgow though. Glasgow trumps Edinburgh in music scenes, bands and venues, clubs, comedy, good bars without being populated by absolute w**kers, lack of jack wills rugby posh boys, restaurants and eating, shopping (by a long, long way)... it's a far more modern city, and a far more vibrant one.

Fortunately for Edinburgh, it is home to the greatest institution on planet Earth, which more than redeems for its shortcomings.

I would pull you up on that point, it's stuck in the late 17th century

tony higgins
27-01-2010, 02:51 PM
As against, "You,ll have had your tea".

Ken like.

The Voice Of Reason
27-01-2010, 02:51 PM

5. Again, Section N.

I think/hope you realise that my post was slightly tongue in cheek, but worth mentioning just in case you didn't ! :wink:

bighairyfaeleith
27-01-2010, 02:52 PM

So you have two observations to make then :greengrin

bighairyfaeleith
27-01-2010, 02:53 PM
The most accurate description I hear of the two cities was this

"Edinburgh has a few bad areas, and glasgow has a few nice areas"

The Voice Of Reason
27-01-2010, 02:54 PM
A local in Glasgow told me once that the difference between people from Glasgow and Edinburgh was that "Glasweegy-yins are Pure Dead Waah-Rum".

Still don't know what he was on about.

Don't go too far off the beaten track OP, they can steal the sugar out yer tea.

Good advice sir - I will stick to the path and not stray on to the moors (American Warewolf in London style). :agree:

Glory Glory.

Kato
Glasgow trumps Edinburgh in music scenes, bands and venues,

Depends on your taste. Always found, for my taste, that I prefer clubs in Edinburgh. The music in Glasgow clubs always has an "industrial" edge and lacks a soulful vibe.

The Voice Of Reason

:faf: :thumbsup:

Dunc89
27-01-2010, 02:56 PM
I think/hope you realise that my post was slightly tongue in cheek, but worth mentioning just in case you didn't ! :wink:

I actually intend on citing each of those points I listed to anyone tonight who comes out with a weejie based insult in the Hibs support. :wink:

dhmf
27-01-2010, 02:57 PM
Edinburgh is a far more beautiful city but if the council carry on like they are then glasgow will catch up as their council is actually trying to improve the place unlike Edinburgh's who is trying to ruin it.

Captain Trips
27-01-2010, 02:58 PM
When I arrive at ER and I park my car in the back streets I see points 1-5 in edinburgh.

JimBHibees
27-01-2010, 02:59 PM
Prefer the Glasgow city centre pedestrianised area, easier to get about, people seem friendlier in general IMO.

cwilliamson85
27-01-2010, 03:01 PM
I was born in Edinburgh but have now lived in Glasgow for over 2 years. I prefer Glasgow. Much more pubs and clubs better venues for gigs and the shopping is better. Easier to get around with underground and the taxis are half the prices of Edinburgh taxis.

in my eyes the only thing wrong with Glasgow is the weegies!

Dunc89
27-01-2010, 03:03 PM
Depends on your taste. Always found, for my taste, that I prefer clubs in Edinburgh. The music in Glasgow clubs always has an "industrial" edge and lacks a soulful vibe.

It depends. Some Glasgow clubs are terrible, regardless of taste! (A certain Mr McGeady frequents a particularly bad Glasgow club, usually on pound-a-drink nights - such establishments are best avoided). Though there are some that can be into their soulful vibe too - certain nights in Subclub, and Buff club aswell.

--------
27-01-2010, 03:04 PM

That's what I said. TWO.

"I have no observations to make but these two.

That is all. :cool2:"

I should have said that the biggest scoundrels (in both cities) tend to be found in those areas where you also find the nastiest snobs....

But I've come to love my wee Caldera de la Cruz.... :devil:

blaikie
27-01-2010, 03:10 PM
I'm Glasgow born and bred :duck: .....
The place has its pros and cons, But most of the people are friendly the shops are great and it has a decent nightlife within the city centre. But it doesn't stop me preferring Edinburgh :greengrin

The Voice Of Reason
27-01-2010, 03:13 PM
The place has its pros and cons, But most of the people are friendly the shops are great and it has a decent nightlife within the city centre. But it doesn't stop me preferring Edinburgh :greengrin

You should support you local team then man ! :devil:

magnificent_seven
27-01-2010, 03:14 PM
A good amount of Edinburgh locals (not all) are so far up their own arse. Glasweigans don't preach about how much better their city is, however since the debate has come up, I'll explain why..

Glasgow is a far far better city in terms of restaurants, clubs, music and transport. Getting from A to B in Glasgow is a doddle, the same couldn't be said for Edinburgh. Nights out in Glasgow are better as everything, excluding the West End is in short walking distance. Taxis are cheaper. Drinks are cheaper. People are friendlier. Don't trip up over tourists all the time. Shopping is better. Women are better looking. Simple as that.

I'll give you the fact that Edinburgh has more History and is probably a better city to look at with the castle etc. However Glasgow wins hands down IMO. People my age will be pushed to provide an argument as to why Edinburgh is better.

bighairyfaeleith
27-01-2010, 03:21 PM
A good amount of Edinburgh locals (not all) are so far up their own arse. Glasweigans don't preach about how much better their city is, however since the debate has come up, I'll explain why..

Glasgow is a far far better city in terms of restaurants, clubs, music and transport. Getting from A to B in Glasgow is a doddle, the same couldn't be said for Edinburgh. Nights out in Glasgow are better as everything, excluding the West End is in short walking distance. Taxis are cheaper. Drinks are cheaper. People are friendlier. Don't trip up over tourists all the time. Shopping is better. Women are better looking. Simple as that.

I'll give you the fact that Edinburgh has more History and is probably a better city to look at with the castle etc. However Glasgow wins hands down IMO. People my age will be pushed to provide an argument as to why Edinburgh is better.

Sorry but Glasgow doesn't even come close to Edinburgh for Restaurants. Never seen the evidence on the women myself, not a big clubber so will pass on that one.

Also, work in Glasgow a lot and I have heard from lot's of weedgies without prompting how Glasgow is so much better than Edinburgh, so personally I reckon your opening gambit is also flawed.

hstn747
27-01-2010, 03:29 PM
It always makes me angry when I see all the crap buildings put up in the 50s & 60s that were condsidered superior to the old victorian & georgian buildings. The City Chambers, Glasgow Central Station, The Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum and the Glasgow School of Art were among the buildings they wanted to demolish - not to mention the ones they did.

In general I find folk in Glasgow more freindly but the neds can be a complete pain in the arse - just the same as in most UK cities. But then, I'm from the posh suburbs of Glasgow.

Jack
27-01-2010, 03:30 PM
Through at Darkheid for the 93 league cup final & found the fish & chip shop had a full grill over the counter area. You had to put your money in the type of thing that you have in overnight petrol stations & then you collected your supper from the same place. It is the only place I've ever witnessed that sort of security in a fast food outlet.

I was in a pub in Glasgow like that once. :faf: Scary as ****!

I worked in Glasgow for 2 years, they 'adopted' me because I was from Leith. :rolleyes: Scary as ****!

Once the lad grows up he'll appreciate the bamter [sic] they use :agree:

Hail the Peoples Republic o' Leith :greengrin

maturehibby
27-01-2010, 03:33 PM
If you think Glasgow is bad go outside Gar Du Nord station in Paris as nowhere on earth gave me the heebee Jeebies like that place and there are of Paris that is fantastic

Moody Mulder
27-01-2010, 03:35 PM
Edinburgh is full with visitors from all over the world, glasgow is full of well em glasgow people, Edinburgh wins award after award for being voted top/favourite city in Europe, glasgow does not, Edinburgh is a beautiful city (Tramworks excepted) glasgow is not

hstn747
27-01-2010, 03:38 PM
Walking out to Celtc Park from the city centre is like entering a different world. Even walking to Ibrox isn't as bad. Me & my mates walked out to Celtc Park for the Scotland Faroes game and it was eye opening. Junkies & borded up windows. It resembled a war zone more than part of a wealthy UK city.

I used to have to walk through the Ibrox area to and from work and it was nowhere near as bad as the east end. It's funny seeing the Hun pubs in the east end that are all decked out in R,W&B.

Billie Jo
27-01-2010, 03:40 PM
Edinburgh men are far better looking than those from Glasgow :cool2:IMO

blaikie
27-01-2010, 03:42 PM
Who ... Rangers :grr: I'll stick with the family roots :greengrin

jakedance
27-01-2010, 03:51 PM
I really like Glasgow. It's a great city with beautiful architecture and a vibrant cultural scene. Very different from Embra but there are some very cool areas and people through there.

They are a bit smelly though.

The Voice Of Reason
27-01-2010, 03:55 PM
I really like Glasgow. It's a great city with beautiful architecture and a vibrant cultural scene. Very different from Embra but there are some very cool areas and people through there.

They are a bit smelly though.

:faf: :thumbsup:

superbam
27-01-2010, 03:59 PM

Have to agree with that - only real difference is that Glasgow has more deprived areas than most other cities.

I lived there for 5 years, and apart from the poorer standard of chippies, quite liked the place. I came across far less aggro than I have done in edinburgh. The lazy stereotypes that some folk from edinburgh have about weegies are just as ridiculous as the funny notions some weegies have about those from the capital.

Barney McGrew
27-01-2010, 04:03 PM
Any city that has inhabitants who look at you as if you're an alien because you ask for sauce on your fish supper deserves to be closed down and flattened immediately.

The Voice Of Reason
27-01-2010, 04:10 PM
Any city that has inhabitants who look at you as if you're an alien because you ask for sauce on your fish supper deserves to be closed down and flattened immediately.

Good call, I'll second that. :agree:

Kato
27-01-2010, 04:14 PM

Glasgow is a far far better city in terms of restaurants, clubs, music and transport.

In your opinion.

Getting slightly up your own rear-end there.

As for the bit in bold, that's rich. Glasgow has mottos like "Miles Better" and "Scotland with Class" etc. Why the need?

I'd say about 90% of weegies I've met eventually go into one about how great Glasgow is and how it's "better" than Edinburgh (which comes down to taste, experience and opinion). Most of them have seen Princes Street and think that that is all Edinburgh is, ignorance is bliss I suppose.

Both cities have there pro's and con's.

magnificent_seven
27-01-2010, 04:15 PM

You are looked at like an alien because its vile. Vinegar any day of the week.

Pretty Boy
27-01-2010, 04:16 PM

:faf: Thats my one big problem with Glasgow.

How difficult is it to put some sauce and vinegar in a bottle then shake it up for a bit?

Barney McGrew
27-01-2010, 04:17 PM
You are looked at like an alien because its vile. Vinegar any day of the week.

There you go.

Weegies = culinary philistines

Kato
27-01-2010, 04:17 PM
they 'adopted' me because I was from Leith. :rolleyes: Scary as ****!

I hear that all the time. Patronising bar-stewards. Leith is nothing like Glasgow.

Dunc89
27-01-2010, 04:18 PM
Glasgow has mottos like "Miles Better" and "Scotland with Class" etc. Why the need?

To be fair, Glasgow Smiles Better is the best slogan that any UK city has ever had. Why they dropped it I'll never know.

Edinburgh "inspiring capital" is hardly a cracker.

hibs0666
27-01-2010, 04:18 PM
Edinburgh is a very pretty, and very bland, big town.

sleeping giant
27-01-2010, 04:21 PM
Edinburgh is just as much of a ****hole with schemie jakies as the Weedge !

I find that folk from Glasgow tend not to like us Edinburgh folk more than Edinburgh folk do not like them.

Glasgow was the first and only place i have been called a Tuechter (sp):faf:

Kato
27-01-2010, 04:21 PM
To be fair, Glasgow Smiles Better is the best slogan that any UK city has ever had. Why they dropped it I'll never know.

If you keep track of such things.

Edinburgh "inspiring capital" is hardly a cracker.

At least it told the truth.

Kato
27-01-2010, 04:23 PM
Glasgow was the first and only place i have been called a Tuechter (sp):faf:

Again that's rich. Glasgow is rammed with Tuechter's and the offspring of Tuechter's. If it's the Capital of anything it's the Highlands.

Dunc89
27-01-2010, 04:26 PM
If you keep track of such things.

It's a passion.

Kato
27-01-2010, 04:28 PM
It's a passion.

Good slogan for slogan spotters.:wink:

johnrebus
27-01-2010, 04:32 PM
What chance does Glasgow stand when the good citizens of Auld Reekie choose to look down on everyone - even including the inhabitants of near neighbours such as Dalkeith, Penicuik, Musselburgh, etc. etc. A pointless and stupid superiority complex.

Edinburgh, sad to say, has become a pig sty of a place in the last few years and shows little sign of ever regaining its ' Athens of the North ' reputation of yester year.

Hibernian, of course, are from Leith.

Thank God.

RIP
27-01-2010, 04:32 PM

Well said that (Perth) man!

Add the fact that Weegies don't look down there noses at other folk and you've hit the nail on the heid for me. Anyone thinking that Glasgow City Centre is representative of Scotland's largest City is niaive at best. There's a rich tapestry of life to be discovered, some good, some not so good but you actually need to spend more time outside the bustling centre before your impressions can be credible.

Byres Road is one such example. Kelvindside Park, Kelvin Hall, Transport Museum, River Clyde, the fabby pie shop at the Patrick End, Great restaurants and bars, vintage and specialist shops, the Library, Great Western Road, The Botanics......Ashton and Ruthven Lanes, Cinema......oh and Davie at Uni barbers who some ex-Woods of Drummond Street customers would remember as the tall lad with the long fair hair

Kato
27-01-2010, 04:35 PM
Hibernian, of course, are from Leith.

Since when was St Mary's Street in Leith.

Like it or loathe it Hibernian are from Edinburgh.

MrSmith
27-01-2010, 04:41 PM
Completely unfair assessment of Glasgow!!

I am from Edinburgh, live here but work in Glasgow. I find Glasgow an interesting place with good bars and pubs, eateries and friendly folks! Don't know where some of you are or been but this is not a true representation of Glasgow nor it's people, particularly the ample breasted lovelies around! :cool2:

Yes there are bigots but it is changing particularly in the younger groups. I work for a college and have 8 years of experience in Glasgow and working with it's people.

Unfair!:grr:

Rory89
27-01-2010, 05:02 PM
Before I moved to Glasgow for uni last August I believed Edinburgh was superior in every way, now I have a different perspective, both have pros and cons.

Things that make Edinburgh better:

1) More civilised.
2) Hibs
3) Less bigoted old firm rats about.
4) Nicer looking city
5) Safer. Never been threatened with a jibbing in Edinburgh.
6) You don't get asked for change "big man" every 5 minutes.
7) Less annoying accent, ken likes eh?
8) More tourists visit Edinburgh, shows which is more appealing.
9) Edinburgh doesn't have a huge percentage of benefit thiefs.
10) Edinburgh is Scotland's financial centre, a more important city.

Things that make Glasgow better:

1) Weegies don't all have massive chips on their shoulder about Edinburgh like the people in this thread do regarding Glasgow. The "rivalry" is one way.
2) Sounds like a cliche but it's true, weegies are much friendlier.
3) Much better nightlife, clubs etc.
4) The girls in Glasgow are better looking yet easier to pull, unlike your stuck up George Street munts.
5) Better for shopping.
6) If you are in dire need of a scran at 5am in Edinburgh you go hungry, in Glasgow you have a wealth of options.
7) Everythings cheaper.
8) Sorry guys, but vinegar is better than "sauce".
9) Glasgow has 3 uni's with many interesting people from all over Scotland and beyond, compared to the university of Kent and Surrey (official name university of Edinburgh).
10) On a similiar note, every second person from the south of England who'se surname starts with "Mac" doesn't move to Glasgow, because "I'm really into my Scottish roots ya".

All in all I think Edinburgh is a nicer city, but Glasgow is better for people like me who essentially want to have a good time. Edinburgh would be a better place to live up to the age of 18, then 18-30 Glasgow's better. If you're over 30 and have a family, Edinburgh's better.

All in all a draw, so take that chip off your shoulders my fellow Edinburgh people.

Kato
27-01-2010, 05:08 PM
Glasgow is better for people like me who essentially want to have a good time. Edinburgh would be a better place to live up to the age of 18, then 18-30 Glasgow's better. If you're over 30 and have a family, Edinburgh's better.

That's an interesting and probably accurate angle to take.

I'll say again though, if your going to clubs in Glasgow to hear decent music it's never been my bag, as someone said occasional nights at the Sub Club but from my experience it's a crappy techno fest. Too harsh.

CropleyWasGod
27-01-2010, 05:12 PM
Edinburgh is full with visitors from all over the world, glasgow is full of well em glasgow people, Edinburgh wins award after award for being voted top/favourite city in Europe, glasgow does not, Edinburgh is a beautiful city (Tramworks excepted) glasgow is not

I give you... the Merchant City, George Square, the West End, Sauchiehall Street and Bath Street (if you look UP).

BonnieFitbaTeam
27-01-2010, 05:19 PM
Since when was St Mary's Street in Leith.

Like it or loathe it Hibernian are from Edinburgh.

Correct - of which Leith is but a suburb.

Not convinced that ER is in Leith anyway....

Jack
27-01-2010, 05:24 PM
I hear that all the time. Patronising bar-stewards. Leith is nothing like Glasgow.

Something for them to aspire to :greengrin

Dashing Bob S
27-01-2010, 05:34 PM
Glasgow, aside from the sectarian bigots (who actually tend to come from the more outlying one-horse towns) is a pretty decent place. It is friendly, but that 'friendliness' is too often the Trojan Horse for jakeys, chancers and more than a fewof the downright nosey, who seem to want to know all your business and expect you to buy them a drink for the company they invariably try to impose upon you.

Worse still, is the cult of the professional Glaswegian, those who ludicrously think that living in Glasgow automatically bestows upon them a great wit and humour, which they then just have to display to you. The truth is, it has the highest portion of crushing bores in any city I've ever been to, and I'm not just talking about the 'neds' here, I mean the smug, urban Glasgow 'hipster' or young professional elements.

All in all, I'd much rather have the respectful of individual personal space culture, of the capital, than the often bombastic and intrusive nature of so-called weegie 'friendliness'.

Kato
27-01-2010, 05:39 PM
Worse still, is the cult of the professional Glaswegian, those who ludicrously think that living in Glasgow automatically bestows upon them a great wit and humour, which they then just have to display to you. The truth is, it has the highest portion of crushing bores in any city I've ever been to, and I'm not just talking about the 'neds' here, I mean the smug, urban Glasgow 'hipster' or young professional elements.

All in all, I'd much rather have the respectful of individual personal space culture, of the capital, than the often bombastic and intrusive nature of so-called weegie 'friendliness'.

Yup. Met them. Hope I'm spared from meeting any more.

TariqE
27-01-2010, 05:39 PM
[QUOTE=Rory89;2323855
9) Glasgow has 3 uni's with many interesting people from all over Scotland and beyond, compared to the university of Kent and Surrey (official name university of Edinburgh).
[/QUOTE]

Don't wanna get too dragged into this but wanted to highlight this point.

Edinburgh also has 3 universities (4 if you count Queen Margaret but I think that's more in East Lothian now).
It is a myth that Edinburgh uni is predominately populated by toffs from SE England. We just notice the flash, loudmouth, 'Yas' because they stand out more.

hibsbollah
27-01-2010, 05:41 PM
Glasgow, aside from the sectarian bigots (who actually tend to come from the more outlying one-horse towns) is a pretty decent place. It is friendly, but that 'friendliness' is too often the Trojan Horse for jakeys, chancers and more than a fewof the downright nosey, who seem to want to know all your business and expect you to buy them a drink for the company they invariably try to impose upon you.

Very accurate. Bonus points for using the word 'hipster':top marks
Can a 'hipster' wear sports socks? or does he just sell them?

MrSmith
27-01-2010, 05:41 PM

what age are you DBs?

ballengeich
27-01-2010, 05:44 PM
In Edinburgh strangers don't talk to you at bus stops. In Glasgow you wish they didn't.

hibee_nation
27-01-2010, 06:11 PM
Reading this thread has proved one thing for sure, ones that have moved from east to west me included prefer it over here. Still pash without the sauce though.

Hibby70
27-01-2010, 06:13 PM
"Its ***** being scottish, we're the lowest of the low."

Both cities are becoming infested with parasites of people who are multiplying at an alarming rate.:grr:

Good to see the anthrax doing its job to clear some of it off the street. Now the government just need to add ebola to stocks of Buckfast and we'll be back to the Edinburgh of my youth where kids collected star wars figures rather than asbos.:greengrin

Oscar Lomax
27-01-2010, 06:19 PM

Agree. Me and the wife are off through next weekend for my birthday. We have booked a nice hotel and will enjoy the shop's and attractions. I really like Glasgow. It's an large industrial city, much the same as Manchester. This thread is pointless and just show's how blinkered and biggoted some on here are....you sound like weegies slagging Edinburgh FFS !

Hainan Hibs
27-01-2010, 06:22 PM
Strathclyde Police cover Glasgow.

Looks like we have an Edinburgh win:greengrin

xyz23jc
27-01-2010, 06:25 PM

:hilarious:hilarious:hilarious Kwality post mate! As one of those 'weegie' **** now living in the promised land, it's like the scottish enlightenment never happened! Fortunately, there's enough classy intelligent hibbys like yerself to restore my faith in humanity, mainly working class I may add, if you discount the proliferation of Edinburgh based 'glory hunters'!! Hope we do the lesser greens tonight to prove 'our' city's superiority! :duck::rockin:

joe breezy
27-01-2010, 06:25 PM
There are some totally sound people in Glasgow, I've got some good friends there, especially in the music scene, the guys that run the Sub Club, DJs and promoters.

There are a high proportion of total bams though probably just because it's a poorer city I think. Not that all poor people are bams but unfortunately poverty helps breed certain subcultures.

If Edinburgh was one big Niddrie with a few nice bits would Edinburgh be much better? But of course it's not. Basically Glasgow's a massive scheme whereas Edinburgh is a nice city with satellite schemes.

Geographically Edinburgh is amazing too, the Pentlands, Arthurs Seat, The Firth Of Forth....it's amazing, the best city in Britain from that perspective.

Kato
27-01-2010, 06:30 PM
....you sound like weegies slagging Edinburgh FFS !

No we don't. We would sound really nasal with upward phrasing at the end of sentences if that were the case.

Bostonhibby
27-01-2010, 06:31 PM

:agree: aye . classy and cultured

joe breezy
27-01-2010, 06:31 PM
No we don't. We would sound really nasal with upward phrasing at the end of sentences if that were the case.

The accent is a shocker at times

Kato
27-01-2010, 06:36 PM
The accent is a shocker at times

It's the worst thing about travelling on the tube through there, especially in rush hour. Fair does yer crust in n'that, know? - but, by the way n'that.

Sandy
27-01-2010, 06:49 PM
Being an Edinburgh born (but Borders raised) lad who has spent the last 27 years in Aberdeen, nobody should be slagging off either city IMO.

Love the Capitol, but also love Glagow for it's food and friendliness, spent many a happy weekend in both. If you think either are more violent, try working/spending a Friday/Saturday night in Union Street Aberdeen :agree: Ask Frazerbob he will confirm.

xyz23jc
27-01-2010, 06:49 PM
It's the worst thing about travelling on the tube through there, especially in rush hour. Fair does yer crust in n'that, know? - but, by the way n'that.

Like travelling on the No 16 as well likesay, eh?

Pretty Boy
27-01-2010, 06:57 PM
Being an Edinburgh born (but Borders raised) lad who has spent the last 27 years in Aberdeen, nobody should be slagging off either city IMO.

Love the Capitol, but also love Glagow for it's food and friendliness, spent many a happy weekend in both. If you think either are more violent, try working/spending a Friday/Saturday night in Union Street Aberdeen :agree: Ask Frazerbob he will confirm.

:agree: Been in Aberdeen 5 years now. Jeez it's rough at times. Folk up here think culture is what you find in yoghurts and cheese.

Also if people think the Glasgow accents bad they want to try talking to someone from the outlying areas of Aberdeen. I've resorted to pointing and gesturing to get what i want.

lucky
27-01-2010, 07:03 PM
Glasgow is a great city. Great shops & bars and places to eat. People are very friendly. But it is different from Edinburgh. Which also a great place. Rather slag of our regions second city we should celebrate both

joe breezy
27-01-2010, 07:21 PM
Glasgow is a great city. Great shops & bars and places to eat. People are very friendly. But it is different from Edinburgh. Which also a great place. Rather slag of our regions second city we should celebrate both

:agree: I do think anyone that lives in Edinburgh and doesn't take advantage of some of the great restaurants, bars, clubs, places to go in Glasgow is kinda missing out...and I know a few who just don't consider it

From the Botanic Gardens to the Sub Club to the Kelvingrove my life in Scotland would have been a bit duller without my Glasgow days and nights oot.

The_Todd
27-01-2010, 07:42 PM
I like both cities, both have their merits. The thing with Glasgow is you don't have to go far off the beaten track to find yourself in one of it's less desirable areas - Edinburgh also has these places but they're not within one wrong turn out of the city centre.

judas
27-01-2010, 08:07 PM

Nice city centre though. Merchant City is terrific.

Right.

Funny that. I have 3 rides who work with me in Glasgow (woman I would add)

True

Really?

True. But Glasgow has better shops, better nightlife and better football teams.

I think some people like to generalise, in a kind of hackneyed, boring old way.

judas
27-01-2010, 08:10 PM
women shop - Men drink and go to the football

Therefore Edinburgh is much much better :wink:

erm. Don't mean to embarrass you, but the football is generally a bit better in Glasgow too. Sorry about the reality check there.

lEXO
27-01-2010, 08:29 PM
Go to glasgow fairly regularly for gigs and stay over.Have always had a great time and found some great places to eat and drink.Found most of the locals to be friendly and welcoming.Saying that i would,nt stay there, but the weedgie bashing nonsense is pretty boring.
Edinburgh is my home and a beautiful city that i love.Does,nt make it perfect though, just take a wander home at 2 in the morning and tell me it doesnt have it,s fair share of bams.

Sproston Green
27-01-2010, 08:52 PM
Hibs are not from Leith - they are from Edinburgh. In fact i think if you wanted to be really pedantic, you could say that Easter Road stadium isnt even in Leith.

I went to uni in Glasgow for a year, it does have nice areas, and can be quite trendy and modern, and even though i am from Edinburgh and no doubt biased, i just dont see how by any measure Glasgow could, objectively be said to be better than Edinburgh.

Glasgow has its good points, but it is a city built up around industries long gone, and like most industrial revolution cities, it is a bit of a dump.

Any city with a bloody great motorway slicing right through the city centre cannot be that nice!

The point the earlier poster made is the most accurate IMO, edinburgh has some bad places, and glasgow has some nice places.

tony higgins
28-01-2010, 02:12 AM

Always preferred being a glory hunter.

:devil:

jockodile
28-01-2010, 02:40 AM
Hailing from Stirling yet having lived in both I'd say

Glasgow people in general suffer from the delusion that they are really friendly and Edinburgh people are not. Quite often the complete opposite is true, particularly if you don't align yourself with one of the old firm.

Edinburgh can feel international but only at certain times of the year, in other ways it's like a big village. Glasgow feels a more vibrant place. I prefered Glasgow in my youthful days for the clubs, nowadays the pubs of Reekie would be much more my thing.

People from both can be a little self obsessed.

bighairyfaeleith
28-01-2010, 07:09 AM
erm. Don't mean to embarrass you, but the football is generally a bit better in Glasgow too. Sorry about the reality check there.

It's not me you've embarrassed with that little comment. I take it you are not a hibby?

SlickShoes
28-01-2010, 09:48 AM
I have just moved to Glasgow from Edinburgh, better job, cheaper houses as i can't afford anything anywhere near edinburgh even in the current climate.

Anyway the reason you see more jakeys about glasgow city centre is that there are more hideous areas nearer to the city centre. The city itself is far bigger than edinburgh too.

I have also noticed that a lot more people seem to smoke.

I have found the general person on the street to be freindlier, old women and men talk to me at bus stops, people will ask you stuff and just talk to you. In Edinburgh everywhere you go people are ignoring eachother.

When i was training Thai Boxing last year i went to a place at the bottom of leith walk and some of the bottom feeders i saw every evening walking through that area were worse than anything ive seen here so far.

Glasgow has better venues for gigs and more gigs to go to because of this.

The worst thing about the city is the old firm, its everywhere you go and its disgusting.

judas
28-01-2010, 01:04 PM
It's not me you've embarrassed with that little comment. I take it you are not a hibby?

He he. Point taken, but I am afraid, they are better (but not last night for sure).

I am a Hibby, but not stupid enough too think we are a better team than either half of the infirm,

Dashing Bob S
28-01-2010, 01:37 PM

Naw we wooooodnaaaeee!

Rory89
28-01-2010, 03:18 PM
Don't wanna get too dragged into this but wanted to highlight this point.

Edinburgh also has 3 universities (4 if you count Queen Margaret but I think that's more in East Lothian now).
It is a myth that Edinburgh uni is predominately populated by toffs from SE England. We just notice the flash, loudmouth, 'Yas' because they stand out more.

Fair enough I haven't been to uni in both cities so perhaps shouldn't comment.

The comment is only based on the fact that I've been to student unions in both cities.

I don't go to Strathclyde but their 12 hour Tuesday is a great night, lots of sound people and £1 drinks from 3 till 3. Been twice to Edinburgh's Potterow, and whilst it's a great facility I've had a crap night both times, forever to get a drink and la de da's everywhere.

That's an interesting and probably accurate angle to take.

I'll say again though, if your going to clubs in Glasgow to hear decent music it's never been my bag, as someone said occasional nights at the Sub Club but from my experience it's a crappy techno fest. Too harsh.

Not sure, you may go to different places from me.

I've found that like most cities most clubs play the same mainstream chart music, whilst some places like Sub Club, ABC, Buff Club, Firewater and Art School have their own different types. Not been to too many crappy techno fests since I moved in August in must be said but I'm sure they exist.

On a different note, here's one thing that makes Edinburgh superior:

Celtic 1-2 Hibernian. :greengrin

Joe Baker II
28-01-2010, 03:51 PM
Have not read all posts here but would say that I prefer Glasgow to Edinburgh, but prefer Leith to Glasgow (and I know ER not technically in Leith, Hibs founded in Old Town etc).

New Corrie
28-01-2010, 05:02 PM
I like Glasgow, love the industrial heritage and architecture. Good bars and restaurants and a great transport infractructure. I know that some parts resemble a post industrial, dystopian Zombie film, but then, parts of Edinburgh look like that aswell.

As for the people, well I once heard someone desrcribe people from Glasgow as those who pretend to be friendly, and folks from Edinburgh as those who are genuinly unfriendly. I would far rather be in the company of Glasgow folks than these jumped up Edinburgh Banking/commerce/materialistic/ear piece wearing/rugby watching/mock tudor dwelling, total and complete tossers.

I probably experienced both ends of the "weedge scale" yesterday...from the disenfranchised Tims in the London Road Tavern to the "have got" Tims in the hospitality...both ends perfectly accepatable and happy to chat away over a drink. As I said, give me Glaswegian OF fans (bigots incuded) over Edinburgh Rugby fuds or Jambos any day thank you very much!

bighairyfaeleith
28-01-2010, 05:58 PM
Just back from Glasgow and I can onfirm it's true, Glasgow is a ****hole FACT

So there :na na:

lEXO
28-01-2010, 06:06 PM
Just back from Glasgow and I can onfirm it's true, Glasgow is a ****hole FACT

So there :na na:
:faf:

Dashing Bob S
28-01-2010, 06:39 PM
I like Glasgow, love the industrial heritage and architecture. Good bars and restaurants and a great transport infractructure. I know that some parts resemble a post industrial, dystopian Zombie film, but then, parts of Edinburgh look like that aswell.

As for the people, well I once heard someone desrcribe people from Glasgow as those who pretend to be friendly, and folks from Edinburgh as those who are genuinly unfriendly. I would far rather be in the company of Glasgow folks than these jumped up Edinburgh Banking/commerce/materialistic/ear piece wearing/rugby watching/mock tudor dwelling, total and complete tossers.
I probably experienced both ends of the "weedge scale" yesterday...from the disenfranchised Tims in the London Road Tavern to the "have got" Tims in the hospitality...both ends perfectly accepatable and happy to chat away over a drink. As I said, give me Glaswegian OF fans (bigots incuded) over Edinburgh Rugby fuds or Jambos any day thank you very much!

Are you sure you're a Tory?

New Corrie
28-01-2010, 06:49 PM
Are you sure you're a Tory?

No, I am not sure Bob, infact I am probably not one anymore, must be having a mid life bout of compassion.

speedy_gonzales
28-01-2010, 06:59 PM
To be fair, Glasgow Smiles Better is the best slogan that any UK city has ever had.
I work through in Glasgow on & off and don't mind it in the slightest, but one of my ex-colleagues hated it with a passion.
He came up with his own slogan;

Glasgow smells better than $h!te,,,,,,,,,,,,,,JUST

Rory89
28-01-2010, 07:07 PM
What do Edinburgh folk use as contraception?

Their personalities.

Killiehibbie
28-01-2010, 08:20 PM
When my only reason to go to Glasgow was football I thought they were all dirty, stinking alkies. Since i've had exposure to other weedgies I now understand not all of them are like that, only 3/4 of them.

Rory89
30-01-2010, 10:25 AM
I met the girl of my dreams in Glasgow last night. I never believed it before but it's true, love at first sight does exist. This is how our first exchange went, I remember it word for word:

Girl: Excuse me, you fae Milngavie?
Me: No, I'm sorry I'm not.
Girl: Listen mate, dinnae look at me like I'm stupit, awright, cos I'll have yer heed blown right aff, dinnae you worry about that pal.

Then, before I had time to say "marry me" she was gone :rolleyes:. Thing is though I'm not too down, something tells me cupids arrow will bring us together again. Apparently being really agressive is all part of the "Glesga banter" and a sign of someone liking you, so she must've really, really liked me.

BEEJ
30-01-2010, 11:03 AM

Surprised that this thread has lasted so long on the Main Forum:

The messageboard for all Hibs fans to chat about Hibs and football in general.

The wording of the OP is surely Holy Ground material - despite the one peripheral reference in there to 'Darkheid'? :coolhib:

HibbyScott
30-01-2010, 11:07 AM
I met the girl of my dreams in Glasgow last night. I never believed it before but it's true, love at first sight does exist. This is how our first exchange went, I remember it word for word:

Girl: Excuse me, you fae Milngavie?
Me: No, I'm sorry I'm not.
Girl: Listen mate, dinnae look at me like I'm stupit, awright, cos I'll have yer heed blown right aff, dinnae you worry about that pal.

Then, before I had time to say "marry me" she was gone :rolleyes:. Thing is though I'm not too down, something tells me cupids arrow will bring us together again. Apparently being really agressive is all part of the "Glesga banter" and a sign of someone liking you, so she must've really, really liked me.

What a belting story :faf: Not the full shilling I don't think. Which fine establishment were you in when this exchange took place?

magnificent_seven
30-01-2010, 01:06 PM
What a belting story :faf: Not the full shilling I don't think. Which fine establishment were you in when this exchange took place?

Sounds like the kind of classy birds you bump into in a place like Play, Sea or Garage. Horrible places!

HibbyScott
30-01-2010, 01:15 PM
Sounds like the kind of classy birds you bump into in a place like Play, Sea or Garage. Horrible places!

I must confess that Garage was my initial thought :greengrin Top quality "banter" in there :wink:

Rory89
01-02-2010, 02:12 PM

No it was 5 minutes in to my first (and only) visit to Common.

For those who don't know, Common is a place for human trash to go in the guise of a "fancy club". Give me Garage over there any day of the week, at least the people there know who they are.

I actually quite like Garage. :whistle:

HibbyScott
01-02-2010, 02:30 PM

For those who don't know, Common is a place for human trash to go in the guise of a "fancy club". Give me Garage over there any day of the week, at least the people there know who they are.

I enjoy it as well on occasion. Can't confess to it being my first choice for a night out though :greengrin

Betty Boop
01-02-2010, 02:40 PM

Nice choice of words there! :rolleyes:

Captain Trips
01-02-2010, 02:52 PM
My visits to Edinburgh have always been 99% to footy. At weekend we stayed in Hotel just off Nicolson Street.

It showed me that there is no difference in the 2, I saw the same drunk folk, neds and all sorts I see in Glasgow no better, same rubbish in some of the pubs with the same p1sh I hear in Glasgow.

Sure Edinburgh is more open and easier on the eye, IMO Glasgow is better laid out as for people and general stuff, no difference to me.

Cocaine&Caviar
01-02-2010, 03:00 PM
:agree: I do think anyone that lives in Edinburgh and doesn't take advantage of some of the great restaurants, bars, clubs, places to go in Glasgow is kinda missing out...and I know a few who just don't consider it

From the Botanic Gardens to the Sub Club to the Kelvingrove my life in Scotland would have been a bit duller without my Glasgow days and nights oot.

Such as?

Phil MaGlass
01-02-2010, 03:00 PM
Glasgow is an absolutely brilliant place, the shopping, the bars, the nite clubs the odd punch up,its a bouncin city I love glasgow and find that its a better place to go out than Edinburgh,the amount of choice in Glasgow is excellent. The only problem with Glasgow is that its full o weegies.

Rory89
01-02-2010, 03:06 PM
I enjoy it as well on occasion. Can't confess to it being my first choice for a night out though :greengrin

Yeah exactly, you'd never say "I've got a great idea, lets go to Garage", but any time I've found myself there I must admit I've had a good time.

Nice choice of words there! :rolleyes:

That pissed off smiley suggests sarcasm, so what choice of words would you prefer?

When you see serial killers on the news do you say "I don't like bad language, but he's a frightfull darn bugger"?

HibbyScott
01-02-2010, 03:15 PM
Such as?

Firewater, Capitol, Stavka was brilliant before it changed to O'Couture, and various others in the city centre, any number of bars on Ashton Lane (Radio, Nude, Vodka Wodka) I'm sure there'll be more upmarket ones in Merchant City that I can't quite afford to go to yet :wink:

There are more very good bars in Glasgow than you could shake the proverbial stick at IMO

JackRegan
01-02-2010, 03:56 PM
Have to say, other than the OP, I pretty much share most of the views expressed, esepcially DBS on most of the unreconstructed uber bigots coming from one horse towns.

I'll keep in to 3's.

Bad Bits about Glasgow

1.) Neds, Junkies and general low life - although you could argue all day as to the causes of it. Some people succumb to it, some revel in it, some blame others.

2.) Filthy pavemens- covered in fag ends, chewing gum and takeaway spillage

3.) Wide-os and patter merchants. Uber punters who think they are a card.

Good Bits about Glasgow

1.) Schemes aside, as big British Cities go its actually one of the best looking in terms of parks, architecture

2.) Great city for a night out, Wide variety of tastes catered for, especially good if your 18-30.

3.) Celtic.

Bad things about Edinburgh.

1.) Full of non Edinburgh folk who moved there, yet have a general disdain bordering on the insulting, view of all things Scottish.

2.) Attitude of Bar staff and drink prices.

3.) A bit dull for a night out, espeically if you are in your 20's yet it always seemed more likely tikick off in Edinburgh

Good Thing about Edinburgh

1.) good traditional boozers where punters certainly know their beer better and a better quality of beer is usually served.

2.) Aesthetically its a pretty and clean city.

3.) You have a big huge **** off castle in yer main street!!

Two general asides.

1.) The people from edinburgh, in my experience, who go on most about smelly weegies etc tend to be rough as a badgers erses and come from the slummiest schemes in Edinburgh. Conversely, the most vitriolic Edinburgh critics of Edinburgh "snobbery" are the Middle Class, cultural snob, Byres Road Psueds who like to portray themselves as all inclusive and paragons of socialism, yet would run a mile at the thought of having to associate with "real" Glaswegians. And;

2.) Both Cities are far superior to what ones in England of similar size have to offer, although Manchester is pretty good.

Davy Mac
01-02-2010, 08:07 PM

Although you're thread is a wee bit tongue and cheek, I don't echo your sentiments at all.

I have spent most of my life visiting Glasgow regularly, still work and have many friends and ex's :wink::greengrin who still live in and around Glasgow, and I have to say I've never thought about Glesgae that way as the OP.

A bit mixed up about their nationality sometimes buy hey, I can live with that.........:greengrin

Rory89
04-03-2010, 03:38 PM
Something else I've noticed about Glasgow, which perhaps someone could explain to me. Why do Glaswegians always, always talk about "getting their hole"?

If you're walking back from the pub with your mates someone will ask "awright lads, wit happened min, wan in the morn and none of yous are getting yer hole". You're talking away to a weegie and within 5 minutes they'll either be telling you about the last time they "got their hole" or they'll be saying "Am well getting ma hole the night min". You tell one where you study and they'll respond with "Aw aye Caley, the burds there are right dirty min, easy to get yer hole at Caley big man".

Just thought I'd dig up this old thread, as there must be someone out there that can explain why Glaswegian strangers take such an interest in whether or not you are "getting yer hole" or think you want to know about what they're getting up to.

bighairyfaeleith
04-03-2010, 04:06 PM
Something else I've noticed about Glasgow, which perhaps someone could explain to me. Why do Glaswegians always, always talk about "getting their hole"?

If you're walking back from the pub with your mates someone will ask "awright lads, wit happened min, wan in the morn and none of yous are getting yer hole". You're talking away to a weegie and within 5 minutes they'll either be telling you about the last time they "got their hole" or they'll be saying "Am well getting ma hole the night min". You tell one where you study and they'll respond with "Aw aye Caley, the burds there are right dirty min, easy to get yer hole at Caley big man".

Just thought I'd dig up this old thread, as there must be someone out there that can explain why Glaswegian strangers take such an interest in whether or not you are "getting yer hole" or think you want to know about what they're getting up to.

It's like your mate that always boasts about the size of his tadger, makes him feel better when he gets home and all he has to play with is his chipolata :wink:

Phil D. Rolls
04-03-2010, 04:15 PM

As a long time critic of the Second City, I moved to Muirhouse, and can honestly say my opinions are unchanged.

RoxburghHibs
04-03-2010, 04:18 PM

I work in the West and they also have an odd habbit of saying things backwards.

Instead of saying "bacon roll" they say "roll on bacon". When I asked about this I got the reply " You East coasters are very strange". When I pointed out only people in the West of Scotland, and nowhere else in the English speaking world, say "roll on Egg" they just told me I was talking p1sh.

lapsedhibee
04-03-2010, 05:17 PM

Instead of saying "bacon roll" they say "roll on bacon". When I asked about this I got the reply " You East coasters are very strange". When I pointed out only people in the West of Scotland, and nowhere else in the English speaking world, say "roll on Egg" they just told me I was talking p1sh.

Shirley they're saying "Roll and bacon" "Roll and egg" etc, non? :dunno:

Phil D. Rolls
04-03-2010, 05:24 PM

Shirley they're saying "Roll and bacon" "Roll and egg" etc, non? :dunno:

I've always referred to " a piece on Jam", a "roll on bacon" "toast on cheese" etc. I have never lived in Glasgow in my life.

lapsedhibee
04-03-2010, 05:28 PM
I've always referred to " a piece on Jam", a "roll on bacon" "toast on cheese" etc. I have never lived in Glasgow in my life.

RF, that's at least topsy-turvy, if not full-blown weird.

Gatecrasher
04-03-2010, 05:30 PM

toast N cheese
Piece N Jam
Roll N Bacon
Fish N chips

Phil D. Rolls
04-03-2010, 05:39 PM
RF, that's at least topsy-turvy, if not full-blown weird.

I grew up in East Lothian and there were a lot of Glaswegians around. That's weird.

mixumatosis
04-03-2010, 05:47 PM

Your dead right. It's full of hookers and criminals.

Mixumatosis, available for barmitzvahs, weddings etc, got my coat, taxi waiting and so forth

Moody Mulder
04-03-2010, 05:57 PM
we're not going too get many unbiased opinions about which city is best, BUT tourists from all over the world are always voting Edinburgh as their favourite city something you never hear about Glasgow. London is our biggest competitor not glasgow

FranckSuzy
04-03-2010, 06:20 PM
I worked in Glasgow for a couple of years and could never understand why some of them end a sentence with "so I will/so you will", e.g. "I'm going to get a bottle of ginger, so I am". "You'll be going on the sunbed again, so you will". :confused:

An Leargaidh
04-03-2010, 06:28 PM
i have to admit... you see a lot more good looking girls in glasgow than you do in edinburgh.

Have you been to fair Dublin city my friend?

All the women in Dublin are gorgeous, even the "ugly" ones :wink:

Just stand on O'Connell Street Bridge in June or July and I guarantee you will not be bored even after an hour or so :cool2:

basehibby
04-03-2010, 08:07 PM
Having visited a lot of cities in England through work over the years I feel that I can view Glasgow and Edinburgh through fresh eyes.

What I've concluded is that we are actually very lucky to have TWO great and yet very different cities in our small country (no offence to Aberdeen and Dundee but they're not quite in the same league IMO).

Sure, Glasgow has more than it's fair share of slums and schemie tracksuit wearing neds. But it also has some lovely architecture, great shopping and night life and a populace who are pretty friendly on the whole for such a big city. I like the place - it has a buzz about it all of it's own.

Glasgow and Edinburgh will always have a rivalry - it's to be expected from two neghbouring cities - and thus the slaggings, ribbings and insults will continue to flow in either direction forever more. However, this should not blind us to the fact that these are two great cities which we should all as Scots be very proud of.

HUTCHYHIBBY
04-03-2010, 08:12 PM
Whilst i'm obviously going to be biased in favour of the capital, 10 mins spent standing waiting for a bus at the stop at the top of Waverley Steps surrounded by absolute rodents certainly makes me think the gap is closing. Edinburgh is on a slippery slope unfortunately!

FRes Hibbie
04-03-2010, 08:21 PM
Having visited a lot of cities in England through work over the years I feel that I can view Glasgow and Edinburgh through fresh eyes.

What I've concluded is that we are actually very lucky to have TWO great and yet very different cities in our small country (no offence to Aberdeen and Dundee but they're not quite in the same league IMO).

Sure, Glasgow has more than it's fair share of slums and schemie tracksuit wearing neds. But it also has some lovely architecture, great shopping and night life and a populace who are pretty friendly on the whole for such a big city. I like the place - it has a buzz about it all of it's own.

Glasgow and Edinburgh will always have a rivalry - it's to be expected from two neghbouring cities - and thus the slaggings, ribbings and insults will continue to flow in either direction forever more. However, this should not blind us to the fact that these are two great cities which we should all as Scots be very proud of.

:agree:

heretoday
04-03-2010, 08:46 PM
I find Glasgow a gloomy place - big tall buildings in the centre make it quite dark. The grid system of streets is similar to NY but it's not so well lit.

It's ok for a weekend. The beer is a lot cheaper than Edinburgh.

I don't find folk any more friendly in Glasgow than anywhere else. In fact, they are quite rude - blokes don't get out your way on the street. There are not a lot of gentlemen about.

Glasgow is like a different country. It's not like it's part of Scotland. The friends I have who originally hail from there are quite disparaging about the place and embarassed at the shell suit/benefit culture.

GlesgaeHibby
04-03-2010, 09:03 PM
I find Glasgow a gloomy place - big tall buildings in the centre make it quite dark. The grid system of streets is similar to NY but it's not so well lit.

It's ok for a weekend. The beer is a lot cheaper than Edinburgh.

I don't find folk any more friendly in Glasgow than anywhere else. In fact, they are quite rude - blokes don't get out your way on the street. There are not a lot of gentlemen about.

Glasgow is like a different country. It's not like it's part of Scotland. The friends I have who originally hail from there are quite disparaging about the place and embarassed at the shell suit/benefit culture.

The shell suit/benefit culture is Scotland wide.

ballengeich
04-03-2010, 09:10 PM
I can't get used to being called "big man" in Glasgow. I'm average height anywhere else.

Hainan Hibs
04-03-2010, 11:23 PM
I can't get used to being called "big man" in Glasgow. I'm average height anywhere else.

I'm always called "wee man" :boo hoo: