PDA

View Full Version : Buzzing

sambajustice
26-01-2010, 05:51 PM
We need something (a signing) to get us buzzing.

I'm sick of reading this Darren Barr pap. He's playing for a team that look likely for the drop. Its looks a straight fight between them and Killie. He's not exactly the outstanding performer for this team either! I cant see him getting a scotland recall any time soon!

Like someone said, Barr could well be the next Ian Black!

With the fairly recent signings of Riordan then Stokes and Miller I reckon Petrie and Hughes could have a wee cracker up their sleeves. Also Bamba's back and there's been no murmurings of him leaving now which is good.

Whoever it is they bring in I reckon it has to be someone who will go straight into the 1st team, like a Stokes or Miller signing, not just a squad player to beef up numbers.

Jack
26-01-2010, 06:08 PM
While I’d love to agree I cant see it. The likes of Riordan, Stokes and Miller tranfers don’t normally come about during winter windows, not saying its not possible, just very unlikely.

The squad that have had us in 3rd spot most of the season are still here and no one who is challenging for 3rd has strengthened. A RB or CH would have been nice but what we’ve got have generally done well.

I’d rather wait until the summer now and get another Stokes and/or Miller type rather than get a run of the mill squad player.

bingo70
26-01-2010, 06:13 PM
We need something to get us buzzing.

I'm sick of reading this Darren Barr pap. He's playing for a team that look likely for the drop. Its looks a straight fight between them and Killie. He's not exactly the outstanding performer for this team either! I cant see him getting a scotland recall any time soon!

With the fairly recent signings of Riordan then Stokes and Miller I reckon Petrie and Hughes could have a wee cracker up their sleeves. Also Bamba's back and there's been no murmurings of him leaving now which is good.

Whoever it is they bring in I reckon it has to be someone who will go straight into the 1st team, like a Stokes or Miller signing, not just a squad player to beef up numbers.

Would have thought a 5-1 victory should have been enough to do that.

I know its exciting to get new signings but what about just letting the players develop and get used to each other without having to change things around again like we do every transfer window?

Only have to look at Rangers and how well they're doing, no new signings and not a great bunch of players but they all know each other, know the system they play inside out and appear to have built up a great team spirit. (don't get me wrong, i still absolutely ****ing hate them)

That said, i think the one position we could do with improving is right back, however i don't see any real need to press the panic button about it yet, we've got a terrific defensive record this season

Mibbes Aye
26-01-2010, 06:33 PM

I know its exciting to get new signings but what about just letting the players develop and get used to each other without having to change things around again like we do every transfer window?

Only have to look at Rangers and how well they're doing, no new signings and not a great bunch of players but they all know each other, know the system they play inside out and appear to have built up a great team spirit. (don't get me wrong, i still absolutely ****ing hate them)

That said, i think the one position we could do with improving is right back, however i don't see any real need to press the panic button about it yet, we've got a terrific defensive record this season

:agree:

It's reasonable to hope that Hibs try to continuously improve. We chose a certain path a few years back as to how the club would be run and it's borne fruit in the quality of player we have been able to secure over the last few windows. External circumstances notwithstanding, that's a positive we should expect to maintain or to see grow.

You've got to wonder where the patience is though :greengrin. Only twenty league games, with the likes of McBride, an absolutely pivotal player for us, having missed a good few of those....it's not really any length of time for a team to gel, for a team to get the best advantage from the familiarity of having played together time and time again, is it?

It would be nice to see stability and consistency of team selection, over a longer period, to reap the benefit of the undoubted talent we have. It will always have to be balanced out against the unavoidable truth that our best players will be tempted to move on. It also has to be balanced out against our capacity to sign up players who will improve the starting XI - off the top of my head I think Mixu and Yogi brought in four current first-picks each. And it also has to be balanced out against the need to blood youngsters at the right time and allow that sometimes they will deserve a regular pick from the outset, despite their youth (as Wotherspoon has shown this season).

Tricky balance to strike, but there's a lot going for this current side. The nature of football in my lifetime has changed, and teams are constantly having to be rebuilt but it would be nice to see this one have some time to grow.

shamo9
26-01-2010, 06:53 PM
While I’d love to agree I cant see it. The likes of Riordan, Stokes and Miller tranfers don’t normally come about during winter windows, not saying its not possible, just very unlikely.

The squad that have had us in 3rd spot most of the season are still here and no one who is challenging for 3rd has strengthened. A RB or CH would have been nice but what we’ve got have generally done well.

I’d rather wait until the summer now and get another Stokes and/or Miller type rather than get a run of the mill squad player.
Another Ian Murray or Ivan Sproule would suffice for now:wink:

hfc rd
26-01-2010, 09:33 PM
A RB, in the Stokes/Miller category would definately go down nicely. :thumbsup:.

TRC
26-01-2010, 09:39 PM

This is true however, when we did bring on our "fringe players" on sat we looked very poor. The likes of Cregg are a poor comparison to Miller, McBride. I'm not saying we should have players of their caliber sitting on the bench, but the gulf in class was clear to see after these guys came on, on sat. So players that are useful in there positions rather than superstars would be better.

BEEJ
26-01-2010, 09:55 PM
This is true however, when we did bring on our "fringe players" on sat we looked very poor. The likes of Cregg are a poor comparison to Miller, McBride. I'm not saying we should have players of their caliber sitting on the bench, but the gulf in class was clear to see after these guys came on, on sat. So players that are useful in there positions rather than superstars would be better.
Hughes changed the team formation at the same time as he made the substitutions. He's confessed to this himself.

So the like-for-like comparison with the subs isn't entirely fair.

matty_f
27-01-2010, 12:14 AM

It's reasonable to hope that Hibs try to continuously improve. We chose a certain path a few years back as to how the club would be run and it's borne fruit in the quality of player we have been able to secure over the last few windows. External circumstances notwithstanding, that's a positive we should expect to maintain or to see grow.

You've got to wonder where the patience is though :greengrin. Only twenty league games, with the likes of McBride, an absolutely pivotal player for us, having missed a good few of those....it's not really any length of time for a team to gel, for a team to get the best advantage from the familiarity of having played together time and time again, is it?

It would be nice to see stability and consistency of team selection, over a longer period, to reap the benefit of the undoubted talent we have. It will always have to be balanced out against the unavoidable truth that our best players will be tempted to move on. It also has to be balanced out against our capacity to sign up players who will improve the starting XI - off the top of my head I think Mixu and Yogi brought in four current first-picks each. And it also has to be balanced out against the need to blood youngsters at the right time and allow that sometimes they will deserve a regular pick from the outset, despite their youth (as Wotherspoon has shown this season).

Tricky balance to strike, but there's a lot going for this current side. The nature of football in my lifetime has changed, and teams are constantly having to be rebuilt but it would be nice to see this one have some time to grow.
:top marks

If Yogi is going to build a successful side then transfer windows should be about adding 1-2 players max, unless we have to buy to replace.

We've not had a settled side for God knows how long. Yogi has been fairly consistent with his team selections when he's had everyone available, and that's really what we're needing to see over 2-3 seasons if we want a team to grow.

Hughes changed the team formation at the same time as he made the substitutions. He's confessed to this himself.

So the like-for-like comparison with the subs isn't entirely fair.

:agree: Totally agree with that.

Sandy
27-01-2010, 06:18 AM
I would be happy if we got IM signed up on a new deal, and maybe a right back, whether it is a loan or a permanent deal. Murray is pivotal to Hibs IMO.

Dashing Bob S
27-01-2010, 07:52 AM
I'd be buzzing if we signed Dailley.

Buzzing off to the cinema.

HFC 0-7
27-01-2010, 08:11 AM

I think we have gelled, I think the problem is the squad of players. we have a good first team that has gelled, we dont have a decent squad to frsshen things up. You could see this after we made subs on Saturday, the shape was lost and we looked very average. We need to bring in better players to the bench, experienced ones, so that we have a mix of youth and experience on the bench.

Speedway
27-01-2010, 10:13 AM

Would Volz get you buzzing?

3pm
27-01-2010, 11:35 AM

What about the boy fae Motherwell....Coke? :agree:

Love the Green
27-01-2010, 12:42 PM

Fully agree and have ben saying it on this site for days now.....give the fans and the club a major lift signing a quality RB who would walk into the team and rtelease Spoony into mid field //strenghten 2 positions with 1 signing
But yet again it looks like a typical ER issue all the clap trap about bringing in 2/3 players and due to some players not wanting to come and us not willing to pay others we will have no signings.
Anybody else hear that Hart is on 5k at Preston who offered to pay half his wages with hibs paying the same but we would only pay 2k.

"keep the faith":wink:

sambajustice
27-01-2010, 12:53 PM
What about the boy fae Motherwell....Coke? :agree:

Nah, he's just fizzin!

I can see both sides of the "argument" but i think it would be good to build on the good start we've had by signing another player who would walk into the team.

Still a few days to go though and it might be a case of Yogi having to let a couple go before he can bring one in!

sambajustice
27-01-2010, 09:06 PM
Now thats what i'm talking about...!!!:thumbsup: