PDA

View Full Version : NHC Levein sooks up to the crab.

Jim44
26-01-2010, 10:46 AM
Apparently Levein has gone crawling to Ferguson with a plea for him to forgive the SFA for the error of their ways and to welcome him back to the fold. :sick: Hardly the news of the week but, hey, anything to get the obsession with Barr off the front page here. :rolleyes:

--------
26-01-2010, 10:49 AM
Apparently Levein has gone crawling to Ferguson with a plea for him to forgive the SFA for the error of their ways and to welcome him back to the fold. :sick: Hardly the news of the week but, hey, anything to get the obsession with Barr off the front page here. :rolleyes:

Where d'you see this?

Jim44
26-01-2010, 10:50 AM
Where d'you see this?

It was on the news or Sportscene last night.

jacomo
26-01-2010, 11:35 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/8479940.stm

Levein:"I very much want him to be part of the international set-up. I think he is one of our best players."

It seems like MacGregor and Boyd will get recalls too.

I'm in two minds about this... on the one hand, Scotland need as much help as they can get, and Crab's been in fine form for Brum this season.

However, I worry that what Levein really needs is a fresh slate, not importing trouble from the last regime. Can he leave Boyd on the bench? Won't Crab be blocking the progress of a longer-term option?

Hainan Hibs
26-01-2010, 12:02 PM
Unfortunately I don't think Scotland are in the position to not try to get Fergushun back in with his form with Birmingham.

The midfield against Wales still gives me nightmares.

Haymaker
26-01-2010, 12:10 PM
While he is playing well in an organised midfield at Brum I still feel he shouldnt play again for scotland. He did nothing of note really in ten years as Captain and can only have a few more years left in the tank. What Scotland need is an overhaul and start with fresh players, fresh outlook and fresh drive however this must be underpinned by an overhaul of the game from the top down in scotland.

Some say that I am a dreamer...

KerPlunk
26-01-2010, 12:29 PM
While he is playing well in an organised midfield at Brum I still feel he shouldnt play again for scotland. He did nothing of note really in ten years as Captain and can only have a few more years left in the tank. What Scotland need is an overhaul and start with fresh players, fresh outlook and fresh drive however this must be underpinned by an overhaul of the game from the top down in scotland.

......but you're not the only one............:wink:

--------
26-01-2010, 12:57 PM

The thing is, Levein's remit is to get the team playing again, and competing for qualification for the later stages of the World Cup and Euros. I don't see that he has the luxury of ignoring three players who, whether we like it or not, would normally be under consideration for the Scotland team whoever we were playing.

IMO it's common sense that if we want to be serious about qualification, we use all the resources at our disposal.

Which means that trawling the EPL and Football League for Scottish-qualified players - whoever they play for and whatever the history - makes sense.

I honestly can't see Craig Levein 'sooking up' to anyone - ig he does reinstate these players, it will be very much on the basis that HE's the manager, HE's the boss, and they work to his rules.

Fresh manager, fresh start - fair enough, IMO.

jdships
26-01-2010, 03:04 PM
Sorry but if bringing back Ferguson, who was "tried and found guilty" years ago , is the height of Levein's ambition then heaven help us !!!!!!!

:rolleyes:

Jim44
26-01-2010, 04:18 PM
Sorry but if bringing back Ferguson, who was "tried and found guilty" years ago , is the height of Levein's ambition then heaven help us !!!!!!!

:rolleyes:

Since Harry took the job, the only Scotland international football references have been to Boyd, MacGregor and Ferguson, and oh pardon me, recently some other 'conscientious objector' who now wants to make up for lost time and get a slice of the action. Lucky guy, Levein, 30% of your team is now selected and all you have to do is persuade the other 60% that these wastes of space are decent chappies after all and we can all live happily ever after. Since a high proportion of footballers are self-centred and unscrupulous you'll have no problem getting a team together but I wonder how long it will take to get 100% unreserved support from the fans. I for one could never support a team which included the above-mentioned low life.

Hibee_Rab
26-01-2010, 04:28 PM
......but you're not the only one............:wink:

I hope some day you'll join us :notworthy:

JimBHibees
26-01-2010, 04:33 PM
If I was Levein I would do exactly the same thing. He is judged on results and anything which may improve them he should do IMO.

Jim44
26-01-2010, 04:33 PM
I hope some day you'll join us :notworthy:

"And the wooooorld can live as one", but without Boyd, Ferguson and MacGregor. :greengrin

MWHIBBIES
26-01-2010, 04:38 PM
Surly scotland have enough ****bags without ferguson.
IMO scott brown,kevin thomson and paul hartley qualify as the fanny in the midfield before barry.

--------
26-01-2010, 04:43 PM
If I was Levein I would do exactly the same thing. He is judged on results and anything which may improve them he should do IMO.

Like you say.

Levein is the manager now.

He hasn't fallen out with any of these players.

He's expected to get results - and get them by the European Championship qualifying matches.

Would we all be patient and give him 4 or 5 years until the next generation matures and these guys are all retired, and he has a squad capable of at least making a decent attempt at qualification?

Some of us wouldn't do that for Yogi here at ER - check the threads after the United defeat - there were those who couldn't wait to get the knives out.

Levein, from all I know of him, is a strong character who takes no nonsense. To my mind, this is no more than simple common sense.

Jim44
26-01-2010, 04:49 PM
Like you say.

Levein is the manager now.

He hasn't fallen out with any of these players.

So does that mean when a prison gets a new 'guvnor, the prisoners automatically get a free pardon, and indeed, a job in the prison? :greengrin

--------
26-01-2010, 04:50 PM
So does that mean when a prison gets a new 'guvnor, the prisoners automatically get a free pardon, and indeed, a job in the prison? :greengrin

Under New Labour and our esteemed colleagues and masters in Brussells?

YUP!

:devil:

1875er
26-01-2010, 04:51 PM
I have a friend thats a season ticket holder at Birmingham and they say that Ferguson has been superb this season.. Personally have no problem in him coming back... Boyd can GTF though!

--------
26-01-2010, 04:55 PM
There are a few players who were in and around the team under Smith and McLeish whom Burley didn't seem to consider at all.

From what he says in that article, Levein seems to be starting from fresh with everyone, and casting the net as widely as possible.

This, I would submit, is a GOOD THING.

I watch the Champiuonship highlights every weekend, and Chris Burke has been playing very well and ought to be back under consideration.

So should Deek.

So too, maybe, Ian Murray.

And Ferguson HAS been playing well for Birmingham.

basehibby
26-01-2010, 05:06 PM
Levein should be able to pick anyone who's available - I'm pretty sure that would have been a condition of his in taking on the Scotland job - ie. not to have to do it with one hand tied behind his back.

Just like in a club side, players will be starting with a clean slate and I don't see anything wrong with that. So Ferguson, McGregor and Boyd will all be up for consideration. Of course the fans might not give them a clean slate and it will be up to Levein to balance that against the interests of the team.

I'm sure if they haven't learnt their lessons and insist on getting asreholed before games/acting like schoolboy fannies in front of the world press/being lazy sloths in training, then Levein will have his own way of dealing with it.

PS - one thing that should definately NOT happen is the crab being given the captaincy again - that would be sheer madness iMO.

Cocaine&Caviar
26-01-2010, 05:08 PM
There will be a lot of players available to Levein that burley didnt have, and i expect a vibe of excitement around the camp. The likes of Boyd, McGregor, Ferguson, McCarthy will be eligible, does anyone know about McCulloch and Chris Burke and their International retirements?

Haymaker
26-01-2010, 05:46 PM
The thing is, Levein's remit is to get the team playing again, and competing for qualification for the later stages of the World Cup and Euros. I don't see that he has the luxury of ignoring three players who, whether we like it or not, would normally be under consideration for the Scotland team whoever we were playing.

IMO it's common sense that if we want to be serious about qualification, we use all the resources at our disposal.

Which means that trawling the EPL and Football League for Scottish-qualified players - whoever they play for and whatever the history - makes sense.

I honestly can't see Craig Levein 'sooking up' to anyone - ig he does reinstate these players, it will be very much on the basis that HE's the manager, HE's the boss, and they work to his rules.

Fresh manager, fresh start - fair enough, IMO.

Ferguson has had numerous attempts at qualifying for the World Cup and Euros and with the armband of scotland teams better than we have now and STILL hasnt qualified. I remember away to Georgia i think he was wasnt even mentioned until he picked up the ball to give it to a player for a throw on at around 44mins in. That was a MUST win game and he wasnt there.

All I believe in is that scotland should be looking towards the future and starting to build a team from the ground up. Ferguson has had his time and failed to show up on more than one occasion (he hasnt even won 50 caps IIRC and he has been playing since 1998 and captain since 2004!).

Macgregor? Well IMHO he will always be no.2 to a fit Gordon. Boyd? turned his back but his beef was with Burley and I can also see why. Scores goals but maybe bringing him into line is the best option. Tell him if he wants to play again lets see some commitment and dedication and await your turn.

Woody1985
26-01-2010, 06:14 PM
Does anyone remember the Ferguson thread at the start of the season when he was slated for being ***** and that they couldn't believe that McLeish would sign him?

I remember being called a hun for saying that he was an ideal signing for McLeish to get a hold of the ball and keep possession for a team that would need every second of the ball it could.

jdships
26-01-2010, 06:31 PM
Since Harry took the job, the only Scotland international football references have been to Boyd, MacGregor and Ferguson, and oh pardon me, recently some other 'conscientious objector' who now wants to make up for lost time and get a slice of the action. Lucky guy, Levein, 30% of your team is now selected and all you have to do is persuade the other 60% that these wastes of space are decent chappies after all and we can all live happily ever after. Since a high proportion of footballers are self-centred and unscrupulous you'll have no problem getting a team together but I wonder how long it will take to get 100% unreserved support from the fans. I for one could never support a team which included the above-mentioned low life.

:top marks:thumbsup::agree:

camhibby1
26-01-2010, 07:05 PM
I am sick of this - the Scotsman's heading this morning referred to Levein's revolution. What a f...... joke! Boyd McGregor & Ferguson are the only players mentioned since Levein took the job bar one or two others - hardly a revolution more Levein being suckered into the Weegie mindset. The W press hounded Burley; Smith hounds out said players; W press & the SFA get shot of Burley - now his fault that the said players were out in the first place. W press make it clear they want 3 players back in - what's the price - we'll shut up about you GS & the SFA's role in this farce. Where does that leave Levein - yes you've got it in one! Revolution - my **** - merely same old, same old and it's a disgrace.

monteddie
26-01-2010, 08:04 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/8479940.stm (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/8479940.stm)

Levein:"I very much want him to be part of the international set-up. I think he is one of our best players."

It seems like MacGregor and Boyd will get recalls too.

I'm in two minds about this... on the one hand, Scotland need as much help as they can get, and Crab's been in fine form for Brum this season.

However, I worry that what Levein really needs is a fresh slate, not importing trouble from the last regime. Can he leave Boyd on the bench? Won't Crab be blocking the progress of a longer-term option?

I am not a fan of Ferguson as a human being however his performances this season have helped push Birmingham up the table, if he can perform to that level down south then I think he should be included in the Scotland set up as should Boyd and McGregor assuming of course there performances merit selection.

We performed well under Smith and McLeish but it all went pear shaped with Burley, a strong manager would never have allowed that level of indiscipline, footballers have a habit of doing what they want and unless they have strong leadership will take a mile when given an inch.

MrRobot
26-01-2010, 10:19 PM
Good move. Love him or hate him he is producing the goods in possibly the best league in the world.

Sir David Gray
26-01-2010, 10:48 PM
If Barry Ferguson (or Allan McGregor) are ever reconsidered for selection to the national side, then my interest in Scotland will be finished until Levein and the pair of them are out.

They both acted disgracefully and embarrassed, and let down, themselves and their team mates with their idiotic, childish antics. Barry Ferguson was also the captain at the time so his actions were ten times worse because of that.

I am also annoyed with the gutless hierarchy at the SFA who announced at the time that Ferguson and McGregor had received lifetime bans from the national side and then as soon as Burley is out the door, they make it seem as though it was him who made the decision to ban them and it was absolutely nothing to do with them by announcing that the new manager had free rein to select whoever he wanted.

I've no doubt that Ferguson has been playing well for Birmingham this year but I just think we are well rid of these couple of imbeciles.

bighairyfaeleith
27-01-2010, 05:22 AM
I'll no be watching if these ***** get back in the team. Disgraceful couple of runts who should have been driven to the border and physically kicked over it after what they done.

Scotland needs players that appreciate what it means to play for scotland, and if they are not as good as these clowns then so be it. I'd rather get pumped by having 11 players who desperately want to play in the game than narrowly miss out by playing players who think they are bigger than there country. (although in the case of nade he probably is bigger than his country)

MrRobot
27-01-2010, 07:29 AM
If Barry Ferguson (or Allan McGregor) are ever reconsidered for selection to the national side, then my interest in Scotland will be finished until Levein and the pair of them are out.

They both acted disgracefully and embarrassed, and let down, themselves and their team mates with their idiotic, childish antics. Barry Ferguson was also the captain at the time so his actions were ten times worse because of that.

I am also annoyed with the gutless hierarchy at the SFA who announced at the time that Ferguson and McGregor had received lifetime bans from the national side and then as soon as Burley is out the door, they make it seem as though it was him who made the decision to ban them and it was absolutely nothing to do with them by announcing that the new manager had free rein to select whoever he wanted.

I've no doubt that Ferguson has been playing well for Birmingham this year but I just think we are well rid of these couple of imbeciles.

Their explanation was it was at the media, why not ? Media usually just make a meal out of nothing. It was George Burleys responsibility also not to let them go out on the lash, but he allowed them to. They should have acted better but didn't, done now, ended. Derek Riordan gave an "up-you" signal to the Hearts fans(after the SC 2-0 defeat I think it was) does that mean he shouldnt be allowed to play for Hibs again. If anything, I thought the fingers up was a bit of a laugh. do you genuinelly think the fingers up was at yourself or the country itself ?

Danderhall Hibs
27-01-2010, 07:45 AM

What an over reaction!

They had a few beers after a game (and 4 days before the next one) and the papers went OTT about it. They stuck their fingers up to the media (the same media that get slated on here daily BTW) and because of that they should be banished forever?

It’s ridiculous.

Dashing Bob S
27-01-2010, 07:49 AM
Apparently the Crab has been playing out of his skin, sorry shell, for Brum.

Bad Martini
27-01-2010, 11:10 AM
The Crab is the crab. He's called the crab for a reason. I dont dislike the wee sheitebag because he's an annoying, odious, living embodiment of a stereotypcial verminous hun, I dislike him because IMHO, footballing wise for Scotland, he is S H I T E !!! Simples!

Now, never has a player been so over-rated domestically and internationally since Paul McStay and dare I say Brian McLair - both were "decent" for their clubs. McLair, was the living proof that someone can be decent and ***** all at once - he never kicked a ****ing ball for Scotland.

The crab, is the same. He's been consisently ***** for Scotland and whilst I do NOT disagree with giving Boyd another chance, particularly if stories around how Burley treated him are true (and indeed, Burley pissed Deek about too), but I wouldnt play Ferguson simply because, for Scotland, he's *****.

ENDOF

HibbyAndy
27-01-2010, 03:00 PM
The Crab is the crab. He's called the crab for a reason. I dont dislike the wee sheitebag because he's an annoying, odious, living embodiment of a stereotypcial verminous hun, I dislike him because IMHO, footballing wise for Scotland, he is S H I T E !!! Simples!

Now, never has a player been so over-rated domestically and internationally since Paul McStay and dare I say Brian McLair - both were "decent" for their clubs. McLair, was the living proof that someone can be decent and ***** all at once - he never kicked a ****ing ball for Scotland.

The crab, is the same. He's been consisently ***** for Scotland and whilst I do NOT disagree with giving Boyd another chance, particularly if stories around how Burley treated him are true (and indeed, Burley pissed Deek about too), but I wouldnt play Ferguson simply because, for Scotland, he's *****.

ENDOF

That my friend is an excellent post.

And your right about Mcstay, the most overrated player ever to grace scottish fitba:agree:..Played in the same midfield as Johnny Collins but wasnt half the player JC was!

Haymaker
27-01-2010, 03:41 PM

ENDOF

Exactly, The crab in his 45 games in 12 years (compared with Beckhams 100-odd!) has never turned up, has never shown leadership as a captain OR as a senior player in general and has never inspired for scotland.

How come Mcleish can get him playing so well for Brum but not scotland?