PDA

View Full Version : Have we found the keeper to please all fans?

HFC 0-7
25-01-2010, 03:49 PM
Hibs goalkeepers have been major talking points on here recently for all the wrong reasons. We have the Stack camp and the Maka camp both arguing why their keeper should be between the sticks.

The reasons for stack was that he was solid, no nonsense type that Hibs had been crying out for, and they didnt want Maka because of the errors he can make.

The Maka camp were arguing that Maka had the ability to make some fantastic saves and he comes off his line, something that Stack doesnt.

I was am one of the fans in the Stack camp, but having seen Smith recently I am wondering if this is the keeper to please all fans. Hamilton was the prime example, excellent saves and comanded his box quite well, coming of his line to punch away crosses. The only negative thing I could say about him after the hamilton game was that his voice sounded like Yogi had spent 5 full minutes booting him in the balls!

Anyway, is this the keeper to please all fans?

greenlex
25-01-2010, 03:51 PM
Naw his voice is to high pitched.

Billychaotic182
25-01-2010, 03:52 PM
Naw his voice is to high pitched.
:faf::faf:

iwasthere1972
25-01-2010, 03:56 PM
Hibs goalkeepers have been major talking points on here recently for all the wrong reasons. We have the Stack camp and the Maka camp both arguing why their keeper should be between the sticks.

The reasons for stack was that he was solid, no nonsense type that Hibs had been crying out for, and they didnt want Maka because of the errors he can make.

The Maka camp were arguing that Maka had the ability to make some fantastic saves and he comes off his line, something that Stack doesnt.

I was am one of the fans in the Stack camp, but having seen Smith recently I am wondering if this is the keeper to please all fans. Hamilton was the prime example, excellent saves and comanded his box quite well, coming of his line to punch away crosses. The only negative thing I could say about him after the hamilton game was that his voice sounded like Yogi had spent 5 full minutes booting him in the balls!

Anyway, is this the keeper to please all fans?

You've only disclosed that Maka and Stack are camp. What about Smith with that voice - surely he's camp too.

Bring back Willie Wilson - he wasn't camp. :cool2:

Pretty Boy
25-01-2010, 04:03 PM
I think we now have 2 good goalkeepers. I would be comfortable with either of them starting.

Stack is a no nonsense keeper, does the basics well and although he doesn't come of his line he is like Shay Given(must be an Irish thing) in the sense that the defenders know this and deal with it, also they know he's not going to come flying out unexpectedly. Good shot stopper, comfortable with the ball at his feet and great distribution.

Smith is similar, doesn't come off his line a whole lot but when he does he is usually pretty commanding. Great communicator(even with his silly voice), and a really good shot stopper. maybe not quite so hot with distribution.

Overall though we have 2 goalkeepers who only the harshest critics could pick too many holes in.

As for Maka i think his time is up which is a shame in a way, if he does get a new deal though i would like it to include a condition that he has to go on loan to the 1st division up here or League 2 down south to get a bit more experience in a less pressurised enviroment. It would also hopefully let him shine and get his shot confidence back.

Riordans Boots
25-01-2010, 04:15 PM
I think we now have 2 good goalkeepers. I would be comfortable with either of them starting.

Stack is a no nonsense keeper, does the basics well and although he doesn't come of his line he is like Shay Given(must be an Irish thing) in the sense that the defenders know this and deal with it, also they know he's not going to come flying out unexpectedly. Good shot stopper, comfortable with the ball at his feet and great distribution.

Smith is similar, doesn't come off his line a whole lot but when he does he is usually pretty commanding. Great communicator(even with his silly voice), and a really good shot stopper. maybe not quite so hot with distribution.

Overall though we have 2 goalkeepers who only the harshest critics could pick too many holes in.

As for Maka i think his time is up which is a shame in a way, if he does get a new deal though i would like it to include a condition that he has to go on loan to the 1st division up here or League 2 down south to get a bit more experience in a less pressurised enviroment. It would also hopefully let him shine and get his shot confidence back.

Good shout :agree:

blackpoolhibs
25-01-2010, 04:17 PM
I just think we have found 2 decent keeper, who don't wander around as if drunk, and can catch the bloody ball when needed.:thumbsup:

Viva_Palmeiras
25-01-2010, 04:41 PM
Even Leighton got shouted out for his poor handling of passbacks. And what an emense player he was - and yes he could also have the occasional flap.

It's hard to imagine any player let alone a goal keeper given recent events that will appease/please ALL. It appears to be part of the supports make-up/DNA.

Of all the positions I imagine the psychological aspect I imagine plays a huge part in the performance of a keeper. As a support we've been edgy (and with cause) in recent times and incidents that might have been put behind us have served as reminders on a frequent basis of our vulnerability in this position. Transferred to a young inexperienced keepers and you see the results.

So time to step forward Mr Mackenna our new goal keeping coach?

RoslinInstHibby
25-01-2010, 04:44 PM
:thumbsup:
Naw his voice is to high pitched.:thumbsup::faf::top marks

bloody loud aint he?

jacomo
25-01-2010, 04:46 PM
I see that Hibs Spain has been emptied (anyone tell me why?) so Maka's lost his most vociferous fan, but I'll give it a go...

I still believe the big man has the makings of a great keeper, he's still very young and Hibs needs to retain its reputation as a club where young players can get a chance.

I also think that part of his problem last season was Rob Jones, who IMO didn't organise the "back 5" as he should have done, causing countless moments of confusion.

However, even I can see that Maka was diabolical against Rangers, responsible for at least 2 of the goals, and perhaps becoming a liability for us.

Smith's proved a very decent signing, and is in the team on merit, but it'll be a sad day for me if/when Maka moves on.

Pretty Boy
25-01-2010, 04:59 PM
I see that Hibs Spain has been emptied (anyone tell me why?) so Maka's lost his most vociferous fan, but I'll give it a go...

I still believe the big man has the makings of a great keeper, he's still very young and Hibs needs to retain its reputation as a club where young players can get a chance.

I also think that part of his problem last season was Rob Jones, who IMO didn't organise the "back 5" as he should have done, causing countless moments of confusion.

However, even I can see that Maka was diabolical against Rangers, responsible for at least 2 of the goals, and perhaps becoming a liability for us.

Smith's proved a very decent signing, and is in the team on merit, but it'll be a sad day for me if/when Maka moves on.

He's been in or around the first team for 2 and a half seasons now. To say he's not had a chance would be stretching the truth slightly.

blackpoolhibs
25-01-2010, 05:05 PM

You wont be surprised to hear i disagree. Yogi would not be basing his views on what he had seen in the past, but if Maka had been up to the job, and he'd impressed Yogi, he'd be No1 now. He's been replaced because his first game this season against St Mirren, he was part of another cock up, leading to the goal we conceded.

The next week against Falkirk, he went down in installment when conceding the goal in that game, another mistake. He's replaced but comes back against falkirk at easter road, He makes a wonderful save, but also give us nightmares with his casual play, causing Yogi to go berserk. Next is Motherwell and Kilmarnock, he does ok, no real mad moments. Then comes the Rangers game, enough said. Rob Jones is nowhere to be seen either.

I have said in the past, there is a decent keeper in there somewhere, i doubt it will ever come out. I cant see any club putting up with the amount of gaffs he makes, football is too important now, and managers will not put their jobs in jepardy with a bombscare in the most important part of the team.

As for it being a sad day for you, if/when he leaves, i can live with that. He's given me more than enough sad days in the past for me to worry anymore about him.

--------
25-01-2010, 05:14 PM
You've only disclosed that Maka and Stack are camp. What about Smith with that voice - surely he's camp too.

IIRC Wullie came fae Wallyford (or was it 'Wally came fae Wullieford?' - who cares?) - anyhow, Wullie came fae Wallyford and Wallyford doesnae dae 'camp'.

Good solid keeper, though - the very epitome of the 'stalwart custodian' of bygone years.... :agree:

Keith_M
25-01-2010, 05:16 PM
No, simply because it's the way of Hibs fans (probably football fans in general) to moan long and loudly about anything and anybody that takes their fancy.

And quite right too, we pay enough money for the privilege :wink:

Woody1985
25-01-2010, 05:17 PM
I've been really impressed with Smith and at the moment he's my no 1 choice for keeper.

Keith_M
25-01-2010, 05:20 PM
IIRC Wullie came fae Wallyford (or was it 'Wally came fae Wullieford?' - who cares?) - anyhow, Wullie came fae Wallyford and Wallyford doesnae dae 'camp'.

Good solid keeper, though - the very epitome of the 'stalwart custodian' of bygone years.... :agree:

You're telling me it disnae!!

:take that

I had the privilege of being friends with WW's son when I was at Primary School and I remember looking through his albums of newspaper cuttings of, I think, every game he ever played in. I was too young to have seen him play but he really was a great guy and my Dad always spoke about him in terms of reverence.

--------
25-01-2010, 05:28 PM
You're telling me it disnae!!

:take that

Now, Aberlady does 'camp'. Gullane does 'camp'. Athelstaneford does nothing BUT 'camp'.

But Wallyford? Mention 'camp' to a Wallyfordian of my generation, and he thinks your talking about that disgusting bottled coffee. :rolleyes:

I had the privilege of being friends with WW's son when I was at Primary School and I remember looking through his albums of newspaper cuttings of, I think, every game he ever played in. I was too young to have seen him play but he really was a great guy and my Dad always spoke about him in terms of reverence.

WW was IMO an under-rated but very sound keeper who did Hibs proud in his time at ER.

Not least, he kept the 'nil' in the 'five-nil' in a celebrated Fairs' Cup tie... :devil:

mike1875
25-01-2010, 05:42 PM
his kicking is pretty dodgey :duck:

RickyS
25-01-2010, 05:43 PM
You wont be surprised to hear i disagree. Yogi would not be basing his views on what he had seen in the past, but if Maka had been up to the job, and he'd impressed Yogi, he'd be No1 now. He's been replaced because his first game this season against St Mirren, he was part of another cock up, leading to the goal we conceded.

The next week against Falkirk, he went down in installment when conceding the goal in that game, another mistake. He's replaced but comes back against falkirk at easter road, He makes a wonderful save, but also give us nightmares with his casual play, causing Yogi to go berserk. Next is Motherwell and Kilmarnock, he does ok, no real mad moments. Then comes the Rangers game, enough said. Rob Jones is nowhere to be seen either.

I have said in the past, there is a decent keeper in there somewhere, i doubt it will ever come out. I cant see any club putting up with the amount of gaffs he makes, football is too important now, and managers will not put their jobs in jepardy with a bombscare in the most important part of the team.

As for it being a sad day for you, if/when he leaves, i can live with that. He's given me more than enough sad days in the past for me to worry anymore about him.

here here:top marks

CentreLine
25-01-2010, 07:02 PM
He'll certainly do for me. Solid and reliable. He will of course make mistakes, every keeper does, only not by the dozen.

Scouse Hibee
26-01-2010, 06:33 PM

Had more than enough chances, never seen a more unorthodox,clumsy,awkward looking keeper in my life. I said this early days and wish him all the luck for the future away from Hibs.

Jonnyboy
26-01-2010, 11:31 PM

The man in black :agree: :thumbsup:

IberianHibernian
26-01-2010, 11:56 PM
Being Hibernian goalie is extra hard given bad press for Hibs goalies in recent years . Smith has played well so far but has only played 4 games and against Hearts and Irvine M had almost nothing to do . Also why was he released by Brighton if he`s so great ? Stack looked great though he seemed to have a quiet time in most games so maybe we should judge him when defence in general is bad and there are obvious question marks about his fitness ? Maka ? I think he has been unfairly critised at times and is a good goalie who could become a very good goalie . If he isn`t at Easter Road next season or even before I suspect it`s because someone from another club will have thought they can make a great keeper out of a good one and they may well be right .

Sandy
27-01-2010, 06:19 AM
Had more than enough chances, never seen a more unorthodox,clumsy,awkward looking keeper in my life. I said this early days and wish him all the luck for the future away from Hibs.

And your a Hibs fan :confused: :greengrin Zibby, Simon Brown, Tony Caig ? All far worse than Maka IMO. Good to have a solid reliable keeper in Smith now though.

euro Hibby
27-01-2010, 07:19 AM
Was also asking myself why Hibs Spain got emptied. ?? I know his views and opinions are different but thats what the board is for. Hibs Spain is a long time season ticket holder for the club. He does not bad mouth others on here so unless there is a sound reason for binning him then the whole thing is questionable.

A goalkeeping thread is not a goalkeeping thread without his two pence worth !

I think its too ealrly to say we have found a goalie. Stack has what could be a long term injury and Smith needs a few more games. He got lucky Saturday in that his early fumble was kicked off the line. Lets see how he does to night at what could be a busy night !

rainman
27-01-2010, 07:34 AM
Was also asking myself why Hibs Spain got emptied. ?? I know his views and opinions are different but thats what the board is for. Hibs Spain is a long time season ticket holder for the club. He does not bad mouth others on here so unless there is a sound reason for binning him then the whole thing is questionable.

A goalkeeping thread is not a goalkeeping thread without his two pence worth !

I think its too ealrly to say we have found a goalie. Stack has what could be a long term injury and Smith needs a few more games. He got lucky Saturday in that his early fumble was kicked off the line. Lets see how he does to night at what could be a busy night !

He hook line and sinkered a lot of people on here on almost every thread he posted on.

Probably the best wind up merchant I've ever seen. :agree:

HFC 0-7
27-01-2010, 08:27 AM
Being Hibernian goalie is extra hard given bad press for Hibs goalies in recent years . Smith has played well so far but has only played 4 games and against Hearts and Irvine M had almost nothing to do . Also why was he released by Brighton if he`s so great ? Stack looked great though he seemed to have a quiet time in most games so maybe we should judge him when defence in general is bad and there are obvious question marks about his fitness ? Maka ? I think he has been unfairly critised at times and is a good goalie who could become a very good goalie . If he isn`t at Easter Road next season or even before I suspect it`s because someone from another club will have thought they can make a great keeper out of a good one and they may well be right .

So you are saying that because he was released then he must be guff? Why was Stokes and Miller released?

Dashing Bob S
27-01-2010, 09:12 AM
We could have a thick sheet of plywood which clipped onto the goalposts, and was moved at time, and people would still moan that it didn't take free kicks, catch the ball, command it's box or acknowledge the crowd with a lap of honour.

The Rough-Goram-Leighton era set our standards impossibly high; the Zibbi-Brown era made us intoo gibbering, paranoid wrecks.

I've no doubt that everyone will turn on Smith the first time he makes a couple of consecutive mistakes.

I remember that 3-3 draw with Aberdeen was the game that killed Maka. No way back for him after that, every mistake was seen in those terms.

Smith will get the same treatment.

ShanksSaidNo
27-01-2010, 09:30 AM
We could have a thick sheet of plywood which clipped onto the goalposts, and was moved at time, and people would still moan that it didn't take free kicks, catch the ball, command it's box or acknowledge the crowd with a lap of honour.

The Rough-Goram-Leighton era set our standards impossibly high; the Zibbi-Brown era made us intoo gibbering, paranoid wrecks.

I've no doubt that everyone will turn on Smith the first time he makes a couple of consecutive mistakes.

I remember that 3-3 draw with Aberdeen was the game that killed Maka. No way back for him after that, every mistake was seen in those terms.

Your right! Being between the sticks for us is now a poisoned chalice for any goalie! One mistake (keeper's will inevitably make the odd one) is no longer seen as a blip at ER its merely taken as proof that our goalkeeping crisis is deepening! Completely unfair.
I dont think Maka's main problem was a lack of ability, it was his personailty/attitude! He was so laid back he was almost horizontal! Prime example of this was every Saturday around 15:45...How effin long did it take him to walk off the park at half time!?
Keepers need to be live-wires, always on the ball! It was his lapses in concentration that undone him. I have to say I quite liked seeing Maka in goals as he was a presence!

Andy74
27-01-2010, 10:08 AM

Iberia/Spain :hmmm:

Andy74
27-01-2010, 10:10 AM

Sorry, that's rubbish, he'll get support if he is consistent.

Everyone can forgive a few mistakes and it won't turn into an issue unless the same mistakes are constantly made or there are som any of them that it beomes a problem.

I thik the likes of Stack and Smith have proved the media and the fans will only pick up on the Hibs keeper thing if they deserve it.

Disc O'Dave
27-01-2010, 12:03 PM
Sorry, that's rubbish, he'll get support if he is consistent.
Everyone can forgive a few mistakes and it won't turn into an issue unless the same mistakes are constantly made or there are som any of them that it beomes a problem.

I thik the likes of Stack and Smith have proved the media and the fans will only pick up on the Hibs keeper thing if they deserve it.

Well, one charge ofter levelled at maka was that he was consistent. Just consistently rubbish :cool2:

Scouse Hibee
27-01-2010, 01:30 PM
And your a Hibs fan :confused: :greengrin Zibby, Simon Brown, Tony Caig ? All far worse than Maka IMO. Good to have a solid reliable keeper in Smith now though.

Yes I am a Hibs fan so no need to be :confused: :greengrin. I never said he was better or worse than those you have mentioned. Just never looked natural or comfortable to me with so many basic things that you see keepers do.

Speedway
27-01-2010, 01:32 PM

Those weren't mistakes, that was plain old ineptitude.

cheltenhamhibee
27-01-2010, 03:11 PM
bring back budgie, lol, on a serious note tho i have to say i'm really happy with smith as the first choice keeper and stack as number 2:thumbsup::thumbsup:

HibeeUnderwood
27-01-2010, 03:46 PM
I was very pleased when we signed Stack, and he has not put a foot wrong in all the games he's played in :agree:

And its good that we signed Smith as well, because he's not done anything wrong either :agree:

So I am very pleased that Hughes addressed the keeper issue by bringing in two very good goalkeepers :greengrin

Heres hoping they continue to perform well :thumbsup: