PDA

View Full Version : Midfield without Zemmama

Tollhouse Hibee
25-01-2010, 09:21 AM
Well time for a wee discussion.

I thought the midfield on saturday were excellent for 65 mins (actually until Nish got hooked we were awesome).

I think this was down to a trio, playing as a trio and working very hard for each other, led by Mcbride, with Miller and Rankin working their socks off.

Play like that wed and we have a good chance.

For me we play better without Zemmama and work a hell of a lot harder. A lot more fight in their.

Only place i can find for Zemmama is the bench. He is a luxury we cant afford.

Dashing Bob S
25-01-2010, 10:02 AM
On football terms, i'd obviously have Zoomer in for Rankin. However, I made the point last week that we've gotten into the habit of slavishly passing the ball to him so he can try and dribble round five players in the centre circle.

I think he's a top player for us, but a spell on the bench as an impact player might suit until he gets back into the short passing game that's our effective. Our passing without him was much better on Saturday.

PISTOL1875
25-01-2010, 10:08 AM
On football terms, i'd obviously have Zoomer in for Rankin. However, I made the point last week that we've gotten into the habit of slavishly passing the ball to him so he can try and dribble round five players in the centre circle.

I think he's a top player for us, but a spell on the bench as an impact player might suit until he gets back into the short passing game that's our effective. Our passing without him was much better on Saturday.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

The midfield performance was the best I'd seen this season....

HFC 0-7
25-01-2010, 10:19 AM

I thought the midfield on saturday were excellent for 65 mins (actually until Nish got hooked we were awesome).

I think this was down to a trio, playing as a trio and working very hard for each other, led by Mcbride, with Miller and Rankin working their socks off.

For me we play better without Zemmama and work a hell of a lot harder. A lot more fight in their.

I thought the difference was having McBride in there. He allowed Miller to do his job. Rankin works hard but lacks direction. I though we lost out shape when Miller went off and struggled to get a foot hold on the game after that, probably down to us taking our foot off the gas. I wouldnt have said we were awesome, i think we had shape and had good movement, but i think it was more down to tiredness of Hamilton than us being awesome. I think that with McBride back we will be a lot better going forward, but we will need someone like Zouma (an up for it Zouma) when playing the oldfirm.

Jim44
25-01-2010, 11:23 AM
It's a tricky situation with Zemmama. Personally I like him and despite some slight reservations I would like him to be a first pick. I don't think he will stick around ER if he becomes a constant substitute. He said when he came back that he owed a debt of gratitude to Hibs for their generous treatment of him during his 'exile' and that he wanted to repay them with a good season. I don't mean that we shouild pander to him but I think he has to feature strongly in Hughes' plans or we will lose him sooner rather than later.

hibsbollah
25-01-2010, 11:29 AM
Just because we played well without him for one match doesnt mean hes now expendable. Miller and McBride allow plenty of protection for the defence, Rankin drops back to being a squad player, Zemmama and Riordan to play in the wide positions please.

Baw187
25-01-2010, 11:48 AM
Just because we played well without him for one match doesnt mean hes now expendable. Miller and McBride allow plenty of protection for the defence, Rankin drops back to being a squad player, Zemmama and Riordan to play in the wide positions please.

It was a strange set up on Saturday. On the left flank we had Deek but who did we have on the right??? Wotherspoon did all the attacking on the right side from full back, with Rankin, Miller, Mcbride all central.

It seemed to work and I think Wotherspoon is great at the wingback role - much more effective at it without Zemmama on the park IMO.

To play Zouma, he needs to come inside a bit more and let Wotherspoon overlap him more - a bit like Deek and Murray do on the left. Wotherspoon is much better at getting to the by line than Zouma.

'Mon the Hibs
25-01-2010, 11:53 AM

:agree:

That's what I would have thought- would rather have the creativity from Zemmama couple with McBride & Miller, than the hit or miss performances from Rankin. Plus Zouma doesn't try 30 yard squigglers any time he is front of goal.

hibsbollah
25-01-2010, 11:54 AM
It was a strange set up on Saturday. On the left flank we had Deek but who did we have on the right??? Wotherspoon did all the attacking on the right side from full back, with Rankin, Miller, Mcbride all central.

It seemed to work and I think Wotherspoon is great at the wingback role - much more effective at it without Zemmama on the park IMO.

To play Zouma, he needs to come inside a bit more and let Wotherspoon overlap him more - a bit like Deek and Murray do on the left. Wotherspoon is much better at getting to the by line than Zouma.

I know what you're saying (and it may be as simple as Yogi instructing Z to come inside more when wotherspoon is overlapping) but it wasnt that long ago when everyone was bemoaning the fact that we had no creativity when Zemmama was injured! To me, Saturday had a lot to do with McBride's return. Thats a bigger factor in the midfield clicking than Zemmama being absent IMO.

Baw187
25-01-2010, 12:03 PM
I know what you're saying (and it may be as simple as Yogi instructing Z to come inside more when wotherspoon is overlapping) but it wasnt that long ago when everyone was bemoaning the fact that we had no creativity when Zemmama was injured! To me, Saturday had a lot to do with McBride's return. Thats a bigger factor in the midfield clicking than Zemmama being absent IMO.

I agree re Mcbride.:agree:

Although he never shone out it was clear that his presence at the back allowed Miller and Rankin to do more further up the park.

If you could get Zouma in for Rankin but keep him away from that right flank, where he tends to try and take over from Wotherspoon, that might be a winner.

MoantheCabbage
25-01-2010, 12:12 PM
Same thread being discussed over on the bounce.

For me Zemmama would be in the team, He has been receovering from injuries and maybe hasnt been his best of recent games but with McBride back doing the spade work this allows the football players to work their magic and lets face facts that wee guy has magic in abundance.

Dropping him makes absolutely no sense what so ever and as for being a luxury we cant afford well Im a Hibs fan for many reasons but the big part is the style of football we try to play and Zemmama is the type of player I pay my cash to watch. If I wanted to see my team defending the whole game and hoping for a penalty I would pledge my allegience to the knuckle draggers on the dark side of the city.

Tollhouse Hibee
25-01-2010, 12:15 PM

My issue with that is zouma always cuts inside, so does not actually give us any width.

Love the Green
25-01-2010, 12:23 PM
If only we could sign a decent right back it would improve 2 areas fo the team the RB problem and the midfield as Spoony would move up and improve the MF by his pace crossingand his pwer and tackling he has developed at RB over the past 4 months....GET A RB NOW YOGI.

This would help our holy rgrail cause and out chances of Europe which will generat cash to cover the expense of a RB.

"keep the faith" :wink:

Andy74
25-01-2010, 12:46 PM
Despite all the confusion it looked awfully like a 442 again for me at the weekend with McBride and Rankin in the centre and Miller and Riordan wide.

When Zemmama is properly fit you drop Rankin and put Miller back central, simple.

We shouldn't forget that Zemmama played a huge part in our other great tram performances against Motherwell both times and the first half v United.

I don't think he's been properly fit for the last few games he has played, but when he is he should be in the team.

1875 NO 1
25-01-2010, 01:02 PM

Midfield did look good on Sat. On leith FM on friday Yogi sys they keep telling Zouma to pass and pass it quick instead of dribbling. The example he gave from watching Arsenal training - they have 1.5 secs to pass the ball or it is a foul.

Zouma for me is an impact player unless he follos Yogi's style of play. Zouma is a talented player, just needs to harness it.

Seveno
25-01-2010, 01:10 PM
It's a difficult one. It's great to see him beating 5 players but not if it doesn't lead to a goal.

Zouma can disrupt the flow and speed of the team, at other times he can add to it. It all depends on Yogi getting him to be less greedy.

I think that Rankin gets too much criticism. We need someone in midfield that can win the ball and disrupt the opposition high up the park. Rankin works his socks off and achieves a lot of this necessary work.

Miller stole the show for me on Saturday and no doubt that McBride made this possible.

Finally, the workrate of Stokes needs a mention. He was superb and shows that it is possible to work hard, chase the ball and still score great goals. Are you listening Deek ?

GGTTH

God Petrie
25-01-2010, 01:34 PM
Bin Rankin for Zemmama. The reason our midfield has been struggling has been due to the absence of McBride. On Saturday, you could see from the performance of Liam 'Irish Iniesta' Miller that he is much better when McBride is playing.

nickwhibs
25-01-2010, 01:45 PM
I thought the difference was having McBride in there. He allowed Miller to do his job. Rankin works hard but lacks direction. I though we lost out shape when Miller went off and struggled to get a foot hold on the game after that, probably down to us taking our foot off the gas. I wouldnt have said we were awesome, i think we had shape and had good movement, but i think it was more down to tiredness of Hamilton than us being awesome. I think that with McBride back we will be a lot better going forward, but we will need someone like Zouma (an up for it Zouma) when playing the oldfirm.

Yep I agree with that. There is no way we are a better team without Zouma. We need that creativity. I agree with the point that the team do tend to rely on him too much and they need to learn not always expect him to be the 'creator'. But when the team is playing as a team and with the right shape (ie without too many forwards), Zouma is the difference between us being decent team and a very good team (in SPL terms). If you take out him then Miller and Riordan are two only other creative players.

Wotherspiniesta
25-01-2010, 02:49 PM
Bin Rankin for Zemmama. The reason our midfield has been struggling has been due to the absence of McBride. On Saturday, you could see from the performance of Liam 'Irish Iniesta' Miller that he is much better when McBride is playing.

Would that make D the 'Scottish Iniesta'? :greengrin
*(still waiting for him to be played CM)*

I wouldn't drop Rankin. He has a lot of critics amongst the fans, me included. But if we are to stick with McBride and Miller in the middle, we need someone who can hold his position. Rankin may not be our best midfielder but he always gives it 100% and gives us a good balance in a midfield 3. The great thing about McBride's return on Saturday was the freedom it gave Miller, it allowed him to play a lot further up the park and gave him a bigger impact in the final 3rd. Now if we played McBride, Miller and Zemmama we would be left one short in the midfield as Miller and Zouma would be pushing forward, leaving McBride exposed.

*Mind you we could always play D in Rankin's position and bring in a RB* :cool2:

StevieC
25-01-2010, 02:53 PM
Zemmama is a player that has football skills that are a joy to watch.

Yes, we may well put in a more workmanlike performance without him but we are then missing out on viewing the skills that he has.

Horses for courses.

Franck is God
25-01-2010, 06:01 PM
The midfield of McBride, Rankin and Miller works as a trio, allows Nish to be a second striker, Stokes to lead the line and Riordan to float but drift left when we don't have the ball.

The only player that Zemmama is a like for like replacement for is Deek, they are both capable of doing something a bit special but workrate isn't exactly their main strength so you lose too much when they both play.

Tollhouse Hibee
27-01-2010, 08:02 AM
It's a difficult one. It's great to see him beating 5 players but not if it doesn't lead to a goal.

Zouma can disrupt the flow and speed of the team, at other times he can add to it. It all depends on Yogi getting him to be less greedy.

I think that Rankin gets too much criticism. We need someone in midfield that can win the ball and disrupt the opposition high up the park. Rankin works his socks off and achieves a lot of this necessary work.

Miller stole the show for me on Saturday and no doubt that McBride made this possible.

Finally, the workrate of Stokes needs a mention. He was superb and shows that it is possible to work hard, chase the ball and still score great goals. Are you listening Deek ?

GGTTH

hard to disagree with!!!!!