PDA

View Full Version : Huge missed opportunity!

Archie70
25-01-2010, 12:09 AM
We've already set one record this season with the fastest goal ever in the SPL but I believe we missed a huge opportunity to break another. We were 5 up with almost 40 minutes to go. The record being 7 (we're joint holders against Livi) but the way we were playing it was well within our capabilties to score 3 before the end and hold another record outright. Can't believe I'm moaning about only scoring 5 but I do think we could have done it.
oh well!
Glory Glory

Seveno
25-01-2010, 01:43 PM
Whilst also disappointed, I'd pass on the record if it means 3 points on Wednesday.

basehibby
25-01-2010, 08:36 PM
We've already set one record this season with the fastest goal ever in the SPL but I believe we missed a huge opportunity to break another. We were 5 up with almost 40 minutes to go. The record being 7 (we're joint holders against Livi) but the way we were playing it was well within our capabilties to score 3 before the end and hold another record outright. Can't believe I'm moaning about only scoring 5 but I do think we could have done it.
oh well!
Glory Glory

I would have liked more goals as well but I think Hughes was more focused on giving a few players some game time/resting others since the game was pretty much over as a contest.
Right decision IMO - shame it didn't result in more goals for the Hibees.

Love the Green
25-01-2010, 09:11 PM
I would have liked more goals as well but I think Hughes was more focused on giving a few players some game time/resting others since the game was pretty much over as a contest.
Right decision IMO - shame it didn't result in more goals for the Hibees.

Agree but Thicott should have come on for Mcbride and dazza at RB with miller goinhg off and spoony moving forward..this way the system would have stayed the same and the momentum kept high......guys like benji have had their chance and due to his lazy style we gave the accies the upper hand...guys with something to prove and who care are more worthy of a place than benji...

"KEEP THE FAITH":wink:

Mag7
25-01-2010, 09:49 PM
oh well!
Glory Glory

It seemed pretty clear to me that with the game well won Yogi took several key players off early with Wednesday in mind rather than worry about beating a scoring record.

Alfred E Newman
25-01-2010, 10:03 PM
oh well!
Glory Glory

We scored 8 against Kilmarnock on the 2nd March 1983.

Archie70
25-01-2010, 10:12 PM
We scored 8 against Kilmarnock on the 2nd March 1983.

That wasn't the SPL!

Agree with other posters about Yogi taking of some off the key players but had hoped fresh legs at home against a team who were 5 down may have resulted in more goals. I'm not complaining but the record was there for the taking and would have been good to have.
Glory Glory

Keith_M
25-01-2010, 10:43 PM
That wasn't the SPL!

No, it was the Scottish Premier League.

Nope, I don't see the difference either.

:dunno:

Archie70
25-01-2010, 10:56 PM
No, it was the Scottish Premier League.

Nope, I don't see the difference either.

:dunno:

The SPL was formed in 98 - The biggest winning margin in an SPL match is seven goals, something that has happened on six occasions, Celtic 4 times, Rangers once. We did it in Feb 06 against Livi, Riordan scored 2 that day as well.
3 points are 3 points and at the end of the day thats really all that matters. But it would have been an "I was there day" in the pub in a few years time!

Criswell
26-01-2010, 01:04 AM
Should never really complain when the team scores 5 goals.......however, the team that played the last quarter of the game had to be seen to be believed!

Three defenders (Hogg, Hanlon and Murray). One wingback (Wotherspoon). Two midfielders (Rankin and Cregg) and four upfront (Riordan, Stokes, Benji and Galbraith) A totally chaotic shapeless mess that was being completely overrun by Hamilton. The surprise wasn't that we didn't score any more goals, but that we didn't concede another two or three!

having said that, for the first hour it was the best performance of the season, but lessons should be learned from how the game finished.