PDA

View Full Version : Derek Riordan goals

Spike Mandela
24-01-2010, 09:45 PM
Up to 9th in post war League goal scorers due to two against Hamilton.......

1. L Reilly 252 apps 187 goals
2. E Turnbull 349 apps 149 goals
3. W Ormond 354 apps 132 goals
4. Go Smith 308 apps 126 goals
5. J Baker 140 apps 114 goals
6. B Johnstone 195 apps 100 goals
7. J O' Rourke 216 apps 81 goals
8. P Cormack 201 apps 77 goals
9. D Riordan 175 apps 74 goals
10. A Duncan 449 apps 73 goals
11. A MacLeod 208 apps 71 goals

Lazy wee Bassa:devil: Top Man:thumbsup:

Gatecrasher
24-01-2010, 10:07 PM

saw this on the bounce, if anyone thinks he's not up to it, just look at the company he is with there :agree:

Westie1875
24-01-2010, 10:14 PM
He'll make it up to 7th by the end of the season. :agree:

--------
24-01-2010, 10:21 PM

saw this on the bounce, if anyone thinks he's not up to it, just look at the company he is with there :agree:

:agree: Worth pointing out that the only players with a better strike-rate are Ned T (just), Bobby Johnstone, Lawrie Reilly, and Joe Baker. I think Joe McBride, Alan Gordon, and of course Neil Martin are the only other big scorers in my time with a better goals-to-games ratio than Deek. Maybe Garry O'Connor too?

Mind you, most of those guys were playing against real defenders, not the rubbish you see in the SPL these days.

allmodcons
24-01-2010, 10:22 PM
5th in table on games to goals ratio. Pretty impressive considering the company.

EasterRoad4Ever
24-01-2010, 10:22 PM

:agree::top marks IMHO totally unappreciated by Hibs fans:bitchy: He's been an unbelievable servant for the club and yet we still take the lad for granted, complain about his lack of effort, poor attitude...... and yet.

I only hope he stays and gets his 100 for the Hibees and will find his place in the clubs history among the Greats. Not too late for Hibs Fans to recognise Riordan's goals scoring record and love for the club.... of nothing else with a song or two.

EasterRoad4Ever
24-01-2010, 10:26 PM
:agree: Worth pointing out that the only players with a better strike-rate are Ned T (just), Bobby Johnstone, Lawrie Reilly, and Joe Baker. I think Joe McBride, Alan Gordon, and of course Neil Martin are the only other big scorers in my time with a better goals-to-games ratio than Deek. Maybe Garry O'Connor too?

Mind you, most of those guys were playing against real defenders, not the rubbish you see in the SPL these days.

:confused: Most of the players mentioned played in Hibs sides that steam-rollered teams and rattled up cricket scores. IMHO Riordan's record in the modern game is as if not more impressive. Under-appreciated.

WindyMiller
24-01-2010, 10:28 PM
:agree::top marks IMHO totally unappreciated by Hibs fans:bitchy: He's been an unbelievable servant for the club and yet we still take the lad for granted, complain about his lack of effort, poor attitude...... and yet.

I only hope he stays and gets his 100 for the Hibees and will find his place in the clubs history among the Greats. Not too late for Hibs Fans to recognise Riordan's goals scoring record and love for the club.... of nothing else with a song or two.

I fully appreciate the lad's a goal scorer but wonder what he'd achieve if he had the work-rate of O'Rourke or Cormack.:cool2:

Toaods
24-01-2010, 10:34 PM
I fully appreciate the lad's a goal scorer but wonder what he'd achieve if he had the work-rate of O'Rourke or Cormack.:cool2:

or the opposition...:wink:

allmodcons
24-01-2010, 10:35 PM
:confused: Most of the players mentioned played in Hibs sides that steam-rollered teams and rattled up cricket scores. IMHO Riordan's record in the modern game is as if not more impressive. Under-appreciated.

:agree: also everyone tends to look back with 'rose tinted specs' some of the defending in the 50's, 60's and 70's was diabolical.

WindyMiller
24-01-2010, 10:43 PM

Apart from O'Rourke and Cormack, I'd agree.

Edit ...............and Neil Martin.

Sammy7nil
24-01-2010, 10:44 PM

totally agree :top marks

monktonharp
24-01-2010, 11:05 PM

I only hope he stays and gets his 100 for the Hibees and will find his place in the clubs history among the Greats. Not too late for Hibs Fans to recognise Riordan's goals scoring record and love for the club.... of nothing else with a song or two.:agree:A hibby through and through,and deserves a lot mor respect than he gets at present,imho. too many would be fans girning from the sidelines about "lazy bassa" etc. he has pulled us out of a hole,on quite a few occasions and will do so again,hopfully if he stays and is given a bit more respect for what he's done.and yeah,a wee song or 3 widnae be wrong for Deek:wink:

--------
24-01-2010, 11:40 PM

The last bit was a wee bit tongue in cheek, admittedly. Defences nowadays are much more organised, it's true, and the fact that teams play one another 4 times in every league season (as well as cup-ties too) means that defenders know a forward's way of playing much better than they did in the past.

But then in the old days a defender could get away with a lot more dirty work than he could nowadays.

I wasn't knocking the boy - I agree thoroughly that he's a class act and a very fine player. If he stays around ER he'll surely finish comfortably in the top five as regards goals scored - possibly the top three....

Archie70
24-01-2010, 11:42 PM
I don't often listen to the Real Radio phone-in but I did at the close of the transfer window when I heard he was possibly re-signing for us. Was jumping round the living room when it was announced. A great memory. He's a Hibs supporter, came through the ranks and scores goals. What more could we ask for. Anyone that says he doesn't do enough or is lazy hasn't been to Easter Road this season. How many times does Samaras track back or Boyd help out. What about Lee Miller putting in tackles or Nade helping out the full back. Some are over critical with him, he does far far more than he gets credit for. If I dream before Derbies of someone scoring the winner, it's him I want to do it (or Murray), because they share my loathing for our neighbours. You sometimes don't appreciate what you've got until its gone and in years to come when we look through misty eyes and talk about Hibs legends and all time greas Derek Riordan will always come into the conversation. Why? because he is! Just some of us don't see it yet!

--------
24-01-2010, 11:42 PM
Apart from O'Rourke and Cormack, I'd agree.

Edit ...............and Neil Martin.

Now Neilly WAS a sady underestimated talent. Strike-rate second only to Joe Baker, IIRC. :agree:

monktonharp
24-01-2010, 11:59 PM
Now Neilly WAS a sady underestimated talent. Strike-rate second only to Joe Baker, IIRC. :agree:just wait till Deeks has a really good day......................and scores 9 against that Gorgie mob:greengrin

silverhibee
25-01-2010, 12:27 AM
I don't often listen to the Real Radio phone-in but I did at the close of the transfer window when I heard he was possibly re-signing for us. Was jumping round the living room when it was announced. A great memory. He's a Hibs supporter, came through the ranks and scores goals. What more could we ask for. Anyone that says he doesn't do enough or is lazy hasn't been to Easter Road this season. How many times does Samaras track back or Boyd help out. What about Lee Miller putting in tackles or Nade helping out the full back. Some are over critical with him, he does far far more than he gets credit for. If I dream before Derbies of someone scoring the winner, it's him I want to do it (or Murray), because they share my loathing for our neighbours. You sometimes don't appreciate what you've got until its gone and in years to come when we look through misty eyes and talk about Hibs legends and all time greas Derek Riordan will always come into the conversation. Why? because he is! Just some of us don't see it yet!

Got to agree with that. :top marks

blackpoolhibs
25-01-2010, 12:31 AM

1. L Reilly 252 apps 187 goals, Never a real hibby
2. E Turnbull 349 apps 149 goals, what a grumpy bugger he was
3. W Ormond 354 apps 132 goals, turncoat, managed the bloody hearts
4. Go Smith 308 apps 126 goals, another turncoat journeyman, not good enough for the old firm.
5. J Baker 140 apps 114 goals, buggered off as soon as the big clubs came calling.
6. B Johnstone 195 apps 100 goals Couldnt wait to get down to England.
7. J O' Rourke 216 apps 81 goals, couldnae keep fat Joe harper out the team.
8. P Cormack 201 apps 77 goals, i actually like peter.:wink:
9. D Riordan 175 apps 74 goals Lazy sod.
10. A Duncan 449 apps 73 goals, too one footed.
11. A MacLeod 208 apps 71 goals, see Derek Riordan.

:devil:

iwasthere1972
25-01-2010, 12:37 AM
:devil:

:stirrer: :hilarious

Riordans Boots
25-01-2010, 12:38 AM

Here here :top marks

Gatecrasher
25-01-2010, 12:42 AM
Top post the guy is an actual legend :top marks

Dashing Bob S
25-01-2010, 08:52 AM
The Famous Five must have been some forward line if only Joe Baker can get in amongst them in the post-war goal charts. Great achievement for DR in my book.

Sandy
25-01-2010, 09:06 AM

One of the best posts ever on .net :top marks :notworthy:

Dashing Bob S
25-01-2010, 09:10 AM

If you can look at that goalscoring table and NOT see a Hibernian legend, then you must be ****ing blind. :top marks

Seveno
25-01-2010, 01:39 PM
It should be possible to both love Deek and criticise him.

I, for one, was quite ecstatic when he returned to ER and have so many memories of his wonderful goals. The fact is though that he is capable of doing even more and becoming a really great player. All Hibbies should want this for the benefit of the team and for the player himself.

He did, afterall, have a spell in November when he significantly increased his workrate. The team performed better and he still scored goals.

James70
25-01-2010, 01:55 PM
Here's the latest (sorry about picture quality!)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ospreywatcher/4300458893/sizes/l/

Baader
25-01-2010, 02:11 PM
Love to see Deek break the ton for Hibs - we'll witness the first player to do so for us in over forty years.

Baker's strike ratio on the above list is truly staggering - he also hit 100 for Arsenal in 156 games...

:notworthy:

Liberal Hibby
25-01-2010, 02:22 PM
Love to see Deek break the ton for Hibs - we'll witness the first player to do so for us in over forty years.

Baker's strike ratio on the above list is truly staggering - he also hit 93 for Arsenal in 144 games...

:notworthy:

These are league goals only - I'm sure O'Rourke and Duncan have reached the ton in all comps. McLeod got to 99 I think.

But if Riordan keeps on at his current rate then he should (sometime next season?) hit the 100.

HibbyAndy
25-01-2010, 02:29 PM

WOW! What a post!

Felt like a wanted to greet there:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Ozyhibby
25-01-2010, 06:48 PM
Only 18 months left on his deal. We need to get him tied down long term if he is going to hit the ton.

AugustaHibs
25-01-2010, 07:26 PM
Only 18 months left on his deal. We need to get him tied down long term if he is going to hit the ton.

Doubt He will ever leave, hopefully not anyway *fingers crossed*

silverhibee
25-01-2010, 11:57 PM
Doubt He will ever leave, hopefully not anyway *fingers crossed*

I think Hibs will look to sell him in the summer.:cool2:

Westie1875
26-01-2010, 12:03 AM
I think Hibs will look to sell him in the summer.:cool2:

Why?

silverhibee
26-01-2010, 12:18 AM
Why?

I really cant say why, but i think Riordan will leave Hibs in the summer if Hibs get a decent offer for him, and i suppose that will depend on how well he plays to the end of the season as well.
I also predict that Ian Murray will leave Hibs in the summer as well.

chorley_fm
26-01-2010, 12:59 AM
WOW! What a post!

Felt like a wanted to greet there:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

gay

:greengrin

but share you sentiments on the post, its a cracker

ginger_eejit
26-01-2010, 01:10 AM
Only a 114 goals he needs to get in his next 77 games to take 1st place!

Big Frank
26-01-2010, 01:26 AM
What a pleasure of a thread lads:top marks:agree:

A joy to see a Derek Riordan thread on hibs.net where I don't have to defend him!

Hertz would kill for someone with half his natural ability in their forward line.

Mon the deeks and mon the cabbage

3pm
26-01-2010, 12:50 PM
I really cant say why, but i think Riordan will leave Hibs in the summer if Hibs get a decent offer for him, and i suppose that will depend on how well he plays to the end of the season as well.
I also predict that Ian Murray will leave Hibs in the summer as well.

A disaster to lose them both.

therealgavmac
26-01-2010, 02:53 PM
Is it not just great to sit back, look at that list and think, thats' why it's great to be a Hibby!

And if you know your history...........

Sir David Gray
26-01-2010, 04:58 PM
A disaster to lose them both.

:agree: It would just be absolutely horrendous to lose both Ian Murray AND Derek Riordan in the same transfer window, it just doesn't bear thinking about to be honest. :boo hoo:

I think in terms of their commitment and ability, amongst other things, both of them are pretty much irreplaceable for a club like Hibs.

Green_one
26-01-2010, 05:35 PM
:agree: It would just be absolutely horrendous to lose both Ian Murray AND Derek Riordan in the same transfer window, it just doesn't bear thinking about to be honest. :boo hoo:

I think in terms of their commitment and ability, amongst other things, both of them are pretty much irreplaceable for a club like Hibs.

PR disaster if they did. But then again not the first. :boo hoo:

Cannot see it happening :rolleyes:

I am not sure who would buy Riordan. Not the OF or EPL, so would have to be Championship or lower. Murray would be a free agent but could end up in some place worse than where he came from. Could be way too many leaving in summer