PDA

View Full Version : John Murphy - perhaps not a legend, but a genuinely nice guy

London Hibee
24-01-2010, 06:49 PM
Sitting having brunch in a fashionable Chelsea restaurant today (as you do :cool2: ) I overhead Edinburgh accents from the table of six, next to us.

I then heard one of the guys taking some stick for "playing for Hibs". Intrigued, I listened more intently to their conversation and picked up that the erstwhile Hibee's first name was John. I still couldn't place him, he looked young enough to have played in the 70s but I didn't recognise him. So just as they were about to leave, l leaned over and asked the guy who he was.

His name was John Murphy and he played in 1967, most famously in the Pat Quinn hat-trick 4-1 derby victory. He said, with his tongue firmly in cheek, that he had thought he was "a Hibs legend" but recently realised this not to be the case when a Hibs book pointed out he had only played 17 times for the first team.

So although not a legend, he seemed a genuinely nice guy and was clearly still a Hibbie and a member of the former players association

:notworthy:

I hadn't heard of him, although I was only born in 1966, but I found this on-line

"The left-sided midfielder joined straight from school in 1965 and remained at Easter Road until 1971, when he joined Morton before moving to Stirling Albion, where he went part-time and also worked for the civil service. A knee injury, sustained while with Cowdenbeath in 1976, ended his career. Now a senior manager with the Scottish Prison Service."

Anyone else have any other memories of John ?

lapsedhibee
24-01-2010, 06:52 PM
Don't remember that name at all. What position did he play, and could someone post a pic please?

Hiber-nation
24-01-2010, 06:53 PM
I remember him being a nice guy - he gave me his autograph back in about 1968, but not much of a player.

He was brought in from the cold for a Derby in about 1970 when he'd never been in the squad for ages, wore no.11, sure it was a nil-nil draw at ER.

If Only
24-01-2010, 07:10 PM
Sitting having brunch in a fashionable Chelsea restaurant today (as you do :cool2: ) I overhead Edinburgh accents from the table of six, next to us.

I then heard one of the guys taking some stick for "playing for Hibs". Intrigued, I listened more intently to their conversation and picked up that the erstwhile Hibee's first name was John. I still couldn't place him, he looked young enough to have played in the 70s but I didn't recognise him. So just as they were about to leave, l leaned over and asked the guy who he was.

His name was John Murphy and he played in 1967, most famously in the Pat Quinn hat-trick 4-1 derby victory. He said, with his tongue firmly in cheek, that he had thought he was "a Hibs legend" but recently realised this not to be the case when a Hibs book pointed out he had only played 17 times for the first team.

So although not a legend, he seemed a genuinely nice guy and was clearly still a Hibbie and a member of the former players association

I hadn't heard of him, although I was only born in 1966, but I found this on-line

"The left-sided midfielder joined straight from school in 1965 and remained at Easter Road until 1971, when he joined Morton before moving to Stirling Albion, where he went part-time and also worked for the civil service. A knee injury, sustained while with Cowdenbeath in 1976, ended his career. Now a senior manager with the Scottish Prison Service."

Went to school with him havent seen him in years

EVENTUALLY
24-01-2010, 07:11 PM

He was a fringe player at Easter Road when we had a lot of good players. He was a touch player which belied his size and he always promised much more than he produced. I sat right next to him at a Joe Baker dinner in the Hibs Club, he was very friendly and a good lad. I may be wrong here but I also seem to recall that he was related to John Greig !!

--------
24-01-2010, 07:11 PM
John was a decent player for us at a time when we had rather a lot of much more than decent players.

He was a wing-half or inside-forward, so he'd have had to displace players like Stanton, Blackley, Quinn, Cropley, O'Rourke or McGraw to get into the team - you didn't have to be a bad player to be kept out of the team by those guys.

He wasn't in the same class as those players, but I can think of a few times in the later 1970's and 1980's when his presence'd have made a marked and welcome improvement to the team.

Edit: FAO EVNTUALLY -Was the John Greig connection not with the full-back, Mervyn Jones? A nephew?

EVENTUALLY
24-01-2010, 07:14 PM
John was a decent player for us at a time when we had rather a lot of much more than decent players.

He was a wing-half or inside-forward, so he'd have had to displace players like Stanton, Blackley, Quinn, Cropley, O'Rourke or McGraw to get into the team - you didn't have to be a bad player to be kept out of the team by those guys.

He wasn't in the same class as those players, but I can think of a few times in the later 1970's and 1980's when his presence'd have made a marked and welcome improvement to the team.

Edit: FAO EVNTUALLY -Was the John Greig connection not with the full-back, Mervyn Jones? A nephew?

Correct. :top marks

sahib
24-01-2010, 07:21 PM

He was a wing-half or inside-forward, so he'd have had to displace players like Stanton, Blackley, Quinn, Cropley, O'Rourke or to get into the team - you didn't have to be a bad player to be kept out of the team by those guys.

I would have said he was better than McGraw. Who was already pretty crocked when he came to Hibs as a striker.
I accept the main point of course.

brog
24-01-2010, 07:22 PM

Spot on! John would have shone in many Hibs teams since the 70's. It's a long story but I went to see Hibs play Maastricht away in a pre-season friendly, in 1970 I think. I ended up in the dressing room with the team & came out after the game carrying a Hibs bag. There were some kids waiting & they wouldn't believe I wasn't John, there were pics in the programme. I had to sign about a dozen autograph books before hightailing it! I met John many years later & told him the story, in his modest way he said it must be the only time people wanted his autograph & they didn't get it!
PS, it was over 100 degrees & we won 3-0 :thumbsup:

Jack
24-01-2010, 07:32 PM
Did he have ginger curly hair?

brog
24-01-2010, 07:35 PM
Fair hair, maybe a tad gingerish but he usually had it in a "mod" cut, don't recall curls.

Ray_
24-01-2010, 07:40 PM
I remember Pat Stanton launching himself through the air at Celtic's winger, John Hughes, as he ran away from him at a game at ER, Pat's right leg went in between "Yogi's" legs, and drew the ball out while Hughes was still heading in the opposite direction, oblivious to what had happened.

A Celtic fan shouted out "look at that dirty C", as Pat launched himself, he immediately corrected himself, stating it was the best tackle that he had ever seen. John Murphy, obviously impressed by Paddy’s effort, repeated the feat in a reserve game a few weeks later, I have never seen that particular tackle done again.

--------
24-01-2010, 08:48 PM
I would have said he was better than McGraw. Who was already pretty crocked when he came to Hibs as a striker.
I accept the main point of course.

He came along a bit later than McGraw, IIRC. McGraw had the 'advantage' of being more physical, IIRC. Technically John Murphy was the better player, I agree.

One of those players who might have fared better at a different time under a different manager - he wasn't Turnbull's type of player, I guess.

But as I say, competition for places was a wee touch fierce in those days.

iwasthere1972
24-01-2010, 08:57 PM

You might be thinking of Chris Shevlane.

FWIW I don't remember John Murphy.

monktonharp
24-01-2010, 09:21 PM

Anyone else have any other memories of John ?aye,mind him well. it was the prison service thing that got me:wink:he was a right b/steward when I got 18 days remand in the Bar-l after getting arrested at the '72 cup final:greengrin

Jack
24-01-2010, 09:29 PM
You might be thinking of Chris Shevlane.

FWIW I don't remember John Murphy.

No I was thinking of someone who played in the same summer leagues as I did in the late 70s. A few pros used to turn up ringers but John was a 'real' player, if you know what I mean. The SPS fits in to.

iwasthere1972
24-01-2010, 09:32 PM
No I was thinking of someone who played in the same summer leagues as I did in the late 70s. A few pros used to turn up ringers but John was a 'real' player, if you know what I mean. The SPS fits in to.

Never done prison like that torag monktonharp so that's why I don't remember him. :devil:

--------
24-01-2010, 09:34 PM

Was he fat and lazy and always trying to get off with other blokes' burds?

Then he must have been Joe Harper. :devil:

monktonharp
24-01-2010, 10:12 PM
Never done prison like that torag monktonharp so that's why I don't remember him. :devil:the things ye dae,when yer a young mental Hibby,and jmp in the middle o' a bunch o' tubes fae Glesga.:greengrin

iwasthere1972
24-01-2010, 10:16 PM
the things ye dae,when yer a young mental Hibby,and jmp in the middle o' a bunch o' tubes fae Glesga.:greengrin

I think I was there. :greengrin

hibbybrian
25-01-2010, 03:32 AM

Spot on Doddie :top marks

John was signed by Bob Shankley in 1966 and punted by Eddie in October 1971

He is standing between Stanton & Cormack in this squad picture

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e43/hibbybrian/1969-70squad.jpg?t=1264393275

jakki
25-01-2010, 07:51 AM
IIRC John Murphy came from the Stenhouse area and his best pal was Colin Stein. The story goes that Rangers came through to sign up John,but on discovering that he had went to a Catholic school, signed up Colin instead. The funny bit was John was not catholic! Don't know how true this is but I heard it from the horse's mouth ie John Murphy :thumbsup:

brog
25-01-2010, 08:07 AM

I had that picture for many years, isn't that strip just simple perfection!

Sudds_1
25-01-2010, 08:29 AM
Genuinely nice guy.....I work beside him and known him for years.

................although why he was in a fashionable Chelsea eatery is beyond me. I'm gonna have to ask him about his expenses claim :wink: :greengrin

Hibs_of_Midlothian
25-01-2010, 08:38 AM
Deserves hero status for fabulous goal in the "Hat Trick for Patrick" Derby.

A real old fashioned silky Inside Left.

lapsedhibee
25-01-2010, 09:04 AM
Deserves hero status for fabulous goal in the "Hat Trick for Patrick" Derby.

A real old fashioned silky Inside Left.

:confused: Though I was at that game, have no memory of John playing; and London Hearts has Peter Cormack listed as other goalscorer!

andudare2
25-01-2010, 11:06 AM
aye,mind him well. it was the prison service thing that got me:wink:he was a right b/steward when I got 18 days remand in the Bar-l after getting arrested at the '72 cup final:greengrin
remember it well wullie ! if im not mistaken there were 112 arrests at that game & only 1 for throwing a bottle, ***** hundreds of them flying about as well. got a £100 fine for swearing , this after having the pleasure of you & stu mcd for company for 3 days in craigie street ?:faf::notworthy:

Hibs_of_Midlothian
25-01-2010, 04:00 PM
:confused: Though I was at that game, have no memory of John playing; and London Hearts has Peter Cormack listed as other goalscorer!

Memory playing tricks on me, must be an age thing.

Murphy did play in the game but Cormack scored the second goal with a header, whilst on all fours.

Murphy's goal was 9 days earlier, on his debut, away to Motherwell.

--------
25-01-2010, 04:09 PM

I had that picture for many years, isn't that strip just simple perfection!

Jings, that pic takes me back!

Brog's dead right. No sponsors logos, no fancy trim, just green shirts, white sleeves, white shorts and gren stockings - perfection. And the goalies in yellow jerseys. Simples!

If Only
25-01-2010, 05:36 PM
IIRC John Murphy came from the Stenhouse area and his best pal was Colin Stein. The story goes that Rangers came through to sign up John,but on discovering that he had went to a Catholic school, signed up Colin instead. The funny bit was John was not catholic! Don't know how true this is but I heard it from the horse's mouth ie John Murphy :thumbsup:

IIRC John went to Carrickvale and possibly Forresters neither of them catholic schools

jakki
25-01-2010, 05:39 PM
IIRC John went to Carrickvale and possibly Forresters neither of them catholic schoolsWell that was the story he told me. :confused:

If Only
25-01-2010, 05:43 PM
Well that was the story he told me. :confused:

He also went to Stenhouse primary, Iplayed in the same team as him (Stenhouse is not a catholic school). Remember playing St Josephs Peter Marinello played for them.

Forza Fred
15-08-2010, 07:34 AM
i remember John Murphy from his playing days well.

It was perhaps unfortunate for him that he was there when we had so many good players coming through, but truth be told, I always thought that although skillful, he lacked a wee bit pace.

Not sure about his fitness levels either as every game he played I seem to recall that his strip was ringing with sweat...and i honestly think i tws more to do with perhaps the bevvy he consumed at Walkers at Shandwick Place rather than effort.:greengrin

i think he left us to go to Morton.

Beefster
15-08-2010, 08:29 AM
Here are his stats from iHibs.

http://www.ihibs.co.uk/player.php?playerid=744