PDA

View Full Version : Graeme Smith

patlowe
24-01-2010, 06:28 PM
Apologies if there's already a thread on this but it doesn't seem like there's been much written about Graeme Smith yesterday. He made a succession of vital saves and the scoreline would have looked extremely less decent if it wasn't for his performance. I'd go as far to say that since he joined he has helped conceal some underlying problems in the hibs team at the moment. Has Yogi solved the goalkeeping "issue"?

Winston Ingram
24-01-2010, 06:38 PM
Apologies if there's already a thread on this but it doesn't seem like there's been much written about Graeme Smith yesterday. He made a succession of vital saves and the scoreline would have looked extremely less decent if it wasn't for his performance. I'd go as far to say that since he joined he has helped conceal some underlying problems in the hibs team at the moment. Has Yogi solved the goalkeeping "issue"?

I thought he'd solved it with Stack. Been very impressed with Smith so far

sahib
24-01-2010, 06:45 PM
Has Yogi solved the goalkeeping "issue"?

Some people will always blame the goalie.

Sprouleflyer
24-01-2010, 06:52 PM
I thought he'd solved it with Stack. Been very impressed with Smith so far

Very commanding, the type of keeper that shouts instructions to his defenders and pretty much delt with everything he came for.

Quite happy with Smith and stack as our 2 main keepers.

Sloppy
24-01-2010, 06:56 PM
good form at the moment, not been impressed with him at motherwell, not much of a presence, but at this moment in time hes doing fine, stack as no.1 though

imo

BigKev
24-01-2010, 07:04 PM
Smith has done very well and looks like he's a "proper" keeper. Does the basics, comes for crosses, makes the saves you expect from your keeper and appears to be a good talker.

Hopefully he's the answer - Stack is also a good keeper IMO - but the performances of Smiggy since he signed have been positive and warrant him to be no.1 choice.

Maka :bye:

machibby
24-01-2010, 07:10 PM
good form at the moment, not been impressed with him at motherwell, not much of a presence, but at this moment in time hes doing fine, stack as no.1 though

imo

Have to disagree, if smith continues to put on performances like yesterday I think he deserves the No. 1 spot. Just feel he's a bit more comfortable coming for crosses than stack. Having said that though it's great to finally have that problem of two decent keepers fighting for the place.

broonie27
24-01-2010, 07:50 PM
There was one save in the first half against Hamilton that was truly stunning. Total reflex job. And while I realise most keepers can pull off these saves from time to time (even Maka) I still think he has way more quality and presence than the aforementioned. He looks better coming off his line than Stack too and I'd say he's our No. 1 for the time being, even after Stack is fully fit.

All this of course means the end of Maka at ER which is something I for one will be celebrating.

MacBean
24-01-2010, 07:53 PM
smith was quite simply outstanding yesterday and was just as good if not better last week. He has been outstanding and knows he has to keep playing at the level to keep the gloves with three others chasing them

He had two class saves before we made it 2-0 and another few throughout the game. Excellent signing

NORTHERNHIBBY
24-01-2010, 09:48 PM
Smith has been playing well, but for me Stack is our number one. No issue however, with Smith keeping the jersey till he does something wrong.

PatHead
24-01-2010, 09:58 PM
Agree he should keep the gloves until he gets injured or makes a mistake. Not convinced about him with backpasses though and goal kicks as he has had a couple of 'moments' though. Hopefully just rustyness due to lack of games.

Interesting to see how he will do with Bamba in front of him now IC are out.

down-the-slope
24-01-2010, 09:59 PM
Must admit I was not too impressed with his signing as reckoned he was ordinary.

However although his saves have been mentioned I think that is the basic stuff that many are good at and better.

Where I have been impressed is his coming for crosses (one great punch yesterday) and particularly his distrabution with feet from pass backs where you can see the defenders are in position wating for a pass taht retains posession rather than a hoof up field that invariably ends in lost posession.

So a short time, better than Stack so far (Stack has personality but less dependability) and gives space for Maka to develop with less pressure

jgl07
24-01-2010, 10:06 PM
Particularly impressive to play for St Johnstone as well as Hibs!:wink:

monktonharp
24-01-2010, 10:26 PM
very happy with Smith in goals at the moment.he had a good game yesterday,and did what you'd expect from a Hibs goalie (forget the last 3 seasons)

mayo hibee
25-01-2010, 10:52 AM
very happy with Smith in goals at the moment.he had a good game yesterday,and did what you'd expect from a Hibs goalie (forget the last 3 seasons)

3? Make that 5 unfortunately!

It's been a long time coming, but we've finally done something about the keeper issues. And, as we have two good ones now, it will put less pressure on the team if and when mistakes happen, because we'll be able to give one a rest, play the other and hopefully keep them both happy.

I don't see Maka's development happening at hibs, he may one day make the grade but he'll need games and we can't afford the liability while we wait for him to develop. Perhaps if he went back to Belgium he could improve his game in a more settled environment over there.

An Leargaidh
25-01-2010, 10:26 PM
I think Graeme Smith will be our Peter McCloy :agree:

Cammy

Speedway
26-01-2010, 08:19 AM
I think Graeme Smith will be our Peter McCloy :agree:

Cammy

I reckon he'll be our Sylvester McCoy.

blackpoolhibs
26-01-2010, 10:03 AM
I reckon he'll be our Sylvester McCoy.

With a bit of luck, he will be the real McCoy. :thumbsup:

smurf
26-01-2010, 10:06 AM
I said so when we signed him. Our 'Goalkeeping issue' is now thankfully over.:thumbsup:

Jim44
26-01-2010, 10:16 AM
According to one hack's report he saved us from a hiding at the hands of Hamilton on Saturday. :rolleyes: