PDA

View Full Version : Scunny - bigger than Hibs ?

bathhibby
24-01-2010, 05:52 PM
First time in FA Cup 4th Round, biggest crowd 10,000 !
Coca Cola must pump big bucks into the Championshipif this (route 1) pile of dross is seen as an improvement for big Rob.

God Petrie
24-01-2010, 05:57 PM
Hibs are technically bigger than a few premiership clubs. We would get 30,000 easily if we were in the premiership I reckon.

iwasthere1972
24-01-2010, 06:00 PM
Coca Cola must pump big bucks into the Championshipif this (route 1) pile of dross is seen as an improvement for big Rob.

Think you'll find their first time in the 4th round of FA Cup was in 1954 against Portsmouth and the attendance was 23,935. It was played at their Old Showground.

Bigger than Hibs.................no chance.

Dashing Bob S
24-01-2010, 06:03 PM
Hibs are technically bigger than a few premiership clubs. We would get 30,000 easily if we were in the premiership I reckon.

If Hibs (or Hearts, to be fair) were in the EPL, they would sell between 30-40,000 ST's on the novelty aspect alone.

Hibercelona
24-01-2010, 06:05 PM
Players don't measure a clubs size based on success or attendances.

They measure it by how much dosh they get paid a week. :agree:

NORTHERNHIBBY
24-01-2010, 06:13 PM

As a follow up to the Russell Anderson posts of a few weeks back, are Derby County a bigger club than Hibs? Yes.Do Hibs have every single player on the transfer list [incuding Anderson] so that they can raise 8 milion quid quicky or go under? No.

Jack
24-01-2010, 06:18 PM
While the SFA, SPL, SFL, ETC keep on protecting their grubby own interets instead of promoting the game in Scotland those who are more prepared to go with the times will prosper (and get the TV money and coverage) like the Championship.
A tiny example of their tiny minds would be taking Stokes goal against the huns off YouTube where in fact it was a great advert for the Scottish game and Hibs in particular.
SuBo was put up on YouTube. Millions of hits later she's known all over the world and X-Factor made millions.
How many other organisations would turn down free advertsing?

18/03/07
24-01-2010, 06:43 PM
Big Rob always said he wanted to go back south for family reasons:confused:

Hainan Hibs
24-01-2010, 06:50 PM
Hibs are bigger than Scunny but they can afford to pay better wages I would guess because of the money that floats about in the game down there.

If that money was reduced a large amount of teams down south would be friar tucked.

--------
24-01-2010, 07:21 PM
Hibs are bigger than Scunny but they can afford to pay better wages I would guess because of the money that floats about in the game down there.

If that money was reduced a large amount of teams down south would be friar tucked.

TV money = bigger contracts and better wages.

Scunny, however, are a respectable club doing reasonably OK in a difficult league.

Jones didn't 'insult' Hibs by going there. Some of us need to accept that.

Biffa Bacon
24-01-2010, 08:43 PM

Their stadium only holds just over 9000 (attendance was 8861) so would definitely say smaller club.

Sir David Gray
24-01-2010, 11:26 PM
As someone has already said, there's quite a few current Premiership teams who, I would say, are smaller than Hibs but thanks to the ridiculous money that clubs down South can generate, small clubs in England can offer much more in terms of wages and transfer fees than big clubs in Scotland, including Rangers and Celtic.

I would say that teams like Blackburn, Bolton, Burnley, Hull, Portsmouth, Stoke and Wigan are all smaller than Hibs and if we were playing in England, players would want to come to us over any of those sides.

Scunthorpe are definitely a smaller club than Hibs.

PISTOL1875
24-01-2010, 11:33 PM
As someone has already said, there's quite a few current Premiership teams who, I would say, are smaller than Hibs but thanks to the ridiculous money that clubs down South can generate, small clubs in England can offer much more in terms of wages and transfer fees than big clubs in Scotland, including Rangers and Celtic.

I would say that teams like Blackburn, Bolton, Burnley, Hull, Portsmouth, Stoke and Wigan are all smaller than Hibs and if we were playing in England, players would want to come to us over any of those sides.

The only teams that are bigger than any EPL side in Scotland are Rangers and Celtic... The rest of the clubs don't even come close...

lucky
24-01-2010, 11:33 PM
Hibs would not sell 30000 st in epl. We can generate that for cup finals. We are 4th biggest in Spl but nowhere near the size ofBolton or Blackburn. Wishful thinking by some on here. But we are a bigger club than Scunny but they play in a better league and pay bigger wages

iwasthere1972
24-01-2010, 11:48 PM
Hibs would not sell 30000 st in epl. We can generate that for cup finals. We are 4th biggest in Spl but nowhere near the size ofBolton or Blackburn. Wishful thinking by some on here. But we are a bigger club than Scunny but they play in a better league and pay bigger wages

We would have to have the stadium capacity first but I can't see any reason why we couldn't attract 30,000 fans to Easter Road considering the opposition would include the likes of Arsenal, Man U, Liverpool, Chelsea, Tottenham, Everton, Villa etc. Don't forget we wouldn't be playing them twice a season at home like we do at present so the novelty factor is unlikely to wear off so quickly.

Anyway we'll never know as it's not likely that we will ever play in the EPL.

Sir David Gray
24-01-2010, 11:49 PM
That is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard in my life.. The only teams that are bigger than any EPL side in Scotland are Rangers and Celtic... The rest of the clubs don't even come close...

Fair enough, that's your opinion.

I honestly don't know how you can say that the likes of Hibs, Hearts and Aberdeen "don't even come close" to being as big as the likes of Wigan and Hull. Both of whom were playing in the third and fourth tiers of English football a few years ago and both of them also have an average attendance of around 20,000. :confused:

I obviously don't know for certain but if Hibs (or Hearts and Aberdeen for that matter) played in England, I don't see us ever being in the third or fourth division and if we were in the Premiership and were able to spend millions of pounds on players, I think we would have quite a bit more than 20,000 people at Easter Road.

PISTOL1875
25-01-2010, 12:06 AM
Fair enough, that's your opinion.

I honestly don't know how you can say that the likes of Hibs, Hearts and Aberdeen "don't even come close" to being as big as the likes of Wigan and Hull. Both of whom were playing in the third and fourth tiers of English football a few years ago and both of them also have an average attendance of around 20,000. :confused:

I obviously don't know for certain but if Hibs (or Hearts and Aberdeen for that matter) played in England, I don't see us ever being in the third or fourth division and if we were in the Premiership and were able to spend millions of pounds on players, I think we would have quite a bit more than 20,000 people at Easter Road.

I was a bit hasty at first with my post but I stopped and looked at it for a minute and retracted it a bit.. I understand what you're saying but we're no where near the size of those clubs... Even if we were in the EPL, our crowds would swell a bit but not by a huge amount..I would say our average attendance would be around 20,000...That figure would only increase due to the amount of away fans that clubs would bring..

Sammy7nil
25-01-2010, 12:19 AM
I was a bit hasty at first with my post but I stopped and looked at it for a minute and retracted it a bit.. I understand what you're saying but we're no where near the size of those clubs... Even if we were in the EPL, our crowds would swell a bit but not by a huge amount..I would say our average attendance would be around 20,000...That figure would only increase due to the amount of away fans that clubs would bring..

sorry thats wrong if Torres Rooney etc were playing we would sell 20,000 season tickets away fans would be extra.

Hull Burnley Wigan Pompey all punching way above their weight and are Not Big clubs

Woody1985
25-01-2010, 01:09 AM
sorry thats wrong if Torres Rooney etc were playing we would sell 20,000 season tickets away fans would be extra.

Hull Burnley Wigan Pompey all punching way above their weight and are Not Big clubs

So would that make us a bigger or more supported club because people want to see players from other teams? :confused:

I reckon that if we were slotted into the English leagues right now we'd be a mid/lower championship team. I reckon that half of the SPL clubs would be lower Championship / League One teams, if not lower,

iwasthere1972
25-01-2010, 01:25 AM
So would that make us a bigger or more supported club because people want to see players from other teams? :confused:

I reckon that if we were slotted into the English leagues right now we'd be a mid/lower championship team. I reckon that half of the SPL clubs would be lower Championship / League One teams, if not lower,

If Wigan or Burnley for example were playing in the SPL do you think their average gates would be anywhere near 20,000? Probably not.

Think the debate now is, with better opposition to play against weekly, would Hibs be a better supported club than some of the lower EPL teams. I reckon we would if we had the visits of Arsenal, Man U, Chelsea etc to look forward to.

Anyway it's all immaterial as it's not going to happen. I can say that for siccar. :wink:

The_Todd
25-01-2010, 10:56 AM
Scunny aren't bigger than Hibs, but the Championship is a bigger league than the SPL.

Sad, but true. If Hibs were in the Championship with all the money it brings (relatively) then Hibs would be bigger than we are, all this talk about an OF switch to the EPL leaves me thinking maybe there should be a British league, the mid sized Scottish clubs are not on a level playing field compared to teams like Wigan who we'd easily be able to compete with if we had similar TV revenues.

However, it almost certainly won't happen, and for now we will need to put up with players leaving us to move upwards to smaller clubs in bigger leagues.

RIP
25-01-2010, 11:50 AM
I know comparisons between football associations and leagues can be interesting for many fans. There are a whole range of financial, geographical, family, competitive, career development and other factors to consider when a player decides to join the SPL.

We are lucky that a few English, Irish, French, Moroccan and other players are happy to move to Scotland to play for one of our clubs. However most English footballers would consider a move to the SPL a step backwards.

They may be willing to come to this country for a few years but only a small minority stay on.

English football offers a bigger stage.

In_terms_of
25-01-2010, 01:30 PM

:rolleyes:

iwasthere1972
25-01-2010, 01:31 PM

It took me a minute. :greengrin

The_Todd
25-01-2010, 01:39 PM

Caversham Green
25-01-2010, 02:36 PM
There's not as much money in the CCC as people seem to think. Clubs relegated from the Premier League do well because of parachute payments, but clubs that have never been up don't get much more turnover than Hibs or Hearts.

In their promotion year Reading had a turnover of £12.3m - that includes winning the league, reasonable cup runs and near 24,000 crowds for most of their 23 home games. Watford's turnover was around the £8m mark before promotion and Stoke had £11.2m in their promotion year (£7.9m in the previous year). I'd be surprised if Scunny's turnover was any greater than Hibs, Hearts or Aberdeen's this year.

those CCC clubs that chase promotion do speculate to accumulate because of the massive prize that promotion brings, so their wages bills are big and they make huge losses (which they recoup in the EPL), but Scunny don't fall into that category and I doubt if they are offering any higher wages than the bigger SPL clubs.

As has been said, Rob Jones had reasons other than money for wanting a move.

Spender
25-01-2010, 08:52 PM
I do feel if we expanded the league up here and only played each other twice, this in itself would make it a tighter league with greater competition,this in turn would bring bigger crowds. this is obviously a big factor for the Old Firm. i.e if you win trophys you retain support, you dont you loose it i.e celtic pre McCann,their support dwindled massively.