PDA

View Full Version : NHC James McCarthy for Scotland

Alex Trager
24-01-2010, 01:13 PM
Don't believe its been mentioned as of yet, but he now wants to play for scotland again!!! thoughts???

Winston Ingram
24-01-2010, 01:14 PM
Don't believe its been mentioned as of yet, but he now wants to play for scotland again!!! thoughts???

Where did you see this?

Alex Trager
24-01-2010, 01:21 PM
Where did you see this?
http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/scottish/scottish_sport/696688/Ex-Hamilton-ace-to-talk-to-Craig-Levein-about-Scotland-switch.html (http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/scottish/scottish_sport/696688/Ex-Hamilton-ace-to-talk-to-Craig-Levein-about-Scotland-switch.html)

Bunter
24-01-2010, 01:22 PM
Where did you see this?
Here. (http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/scottish/scottish_sport/696688/Ex-Hamilton-ace-to-talk-to-Craig-Levein-about-Scotland-switch.html)

Allant1981
24-01-2010, 01:22 PM
Was in todays news of the world, think he could be a decent player for scotland. glad he didnt go to one of the old firm as he might actually improve as a player down south

steviehfc
24-01-2010, 01:34 PM
Don't believe its been mentioned as of yet, but he now wants to play for scotland again!!! thoughts???He made his choice and he/Scotland should stick with it. IMO of course.

bigstu
24-01-2010, 01:42 PM
we're talking about playing for your country here, surely that shouldn't be about which manager speaks to you the nicest & begs you to play for them. Oh James McCarthy 'might be interested' in playing for scotland so levein has to go running to him to beg him to play. if he wants to play for scotland then let him come & beg levein, not the other way round.

Calvin
24-01-2010, 01:51 PM
You want to play International Football if at all possible and when you're a young guy, you're gonna take whichever team wants you. I understand his decision back then, but now Scotland do want a Scottish player - what's the problem? If he's good enough, get him signed up.

givescotlandfreedom
24-01-2010, 02:07 PM
we're talking about playing for your country here, surely that shouldn't be about which manager speaks to you the nicest & begs you to play for them. Oh James McCarthy 'might be interested' in playing for scotland so levein has to go running to him to beg him to play. if he wants to play for scotland then let him come & beg levein, not the other way round.

:agree: Well said stu

steviehfc
24-01-2010, 02:12 PM
You want to play International Football if at all possible and when you're a young guy, you're gonna take whichever team wants you. I understand his decision back then, but now Scotland do want a Scottish player - what's the problem? If he's good enough, get him signed up.Once you have made the decision to play for a certain country, that should be that. You should not be allowed to pck and choose on a whim, he made his choice and he should live with it.

marinello59
24-01-2010, 02:24 PM
I hope Levein does call McCarthy up. Can we really afford to ignore talent like that if it is avaliable?

H18sry
24-01-2010, 02:38 PM

:agree:

NOLA
24-01-2010, 02:41 PM
has he not already played for the ROI?

Toaods
24-01-2010, 02:42 PM
Levein should pick him, play him then ignore him.:bye:

Nobody should ever get to piss Scotland around.

NB Hibby
24-01-2010, 03:12 PM

Remember the tale of the Prodigal* Son (Doddie will supply Chapter and Verse)
Forgiveness is the answer, even for McCarthy.:wink:

*Not a Protestant woman.

Brizo
24-01-2010, 03:25 PM

Unless theyre called Boyd , McGregor or Ferguson :wink:

If the laddie realises hes made the wrong decision and wants to do the right thing now he should get the opportunity. Harry Potters set a precedent with his policy of forgiveness and second chances. Tin hat on but I think the three amigos antics were far more insulting to Scotland and Scotland fans than a teenage laddie who made the wrong decision very early on in his career and who now wants to make amends.

Hainan Hibs
24-01-2010, 03:31 PM
If he wants to play for Scotland then he should be the one going to Levein, not the other way round.

Fair enough he wanted to be playing at the international level in those age groups and wasn't getting a chance with Scotland. If his passion and want for playing for Scotland is high then I don't see a problem.

Alex Trager
24-01-2010, 03:33 PM

I take it you feel this way about a certain Boyd aswell?

steviehfc
24-01-2010, 03:36 PM
Boyd, Mcgregor and Fudgerson should all be told to GTF as well.

the_ginger_hibee
24-01-2010, 03:40 PM
He can bolt. BigStu's right on the mark here. This isn't club football, this isn't about what manager can offer you the most. This is international level.

The fact we can even have this discussion now a days shows how much representing your country means now.

You should know yourself what country your from, then you should pick and thats that. No changing your mind cause Lego Head Caldwell's got his neb in.

hibee_girl
24-01-2010, 03:41 PM
If he wants to play for Scotland then he should be the one going to Levein, not the other way round.

Fair enough he wanted to be playing at the international level in those age groups and wasn't getting a chance with Scotland. If his passion and want for playing for Scotland is high then I don't see a problem.

:agree:

Pretty Boy
24-01-2010, 03:44 PM
I think the SFA have to take a big share of the blame here, how McCarthy was allowed to pass under the radar for so long is beyond me.

Anyway as i said on a similar thread about Kris Boyd, Scotland does not have a big enough pool of quality players to be too picky about who we call up. If McCarthy wants to play for us and is good enough then he should be picked.

KWJ
24-01-2010, 03:44 PM
I'd take him back no probs. Scotland weren't interested in him, he did something a bit silly perhaps but he was 15/16 at the time.

Who was the player that was on the bench for England (i think) and was asked to go on for the last couple of mins of a friendly but refused as he could still play for another nation? Going back a bit I believe.

bigstu
24-01-2010, 04:07 PM
I take it you feel this way about a certain Boyd aswell?

indeed i do, if Boyd has seen the error of his ways then let him go and explain that to Craig Levein, as i have stated above this is playing for your country we're talking about not persuading players to sign for a club.

Judas Iscariot
24-01-2010, 04:13 PM
Tell the wee judas prick to GTF

onemcnamara
24-01-2010, 04:19 PM
Who was the player that was on the bench for England (i think) and was asked to go on for the last couple of mins of a friendly but refused as he could still play for another nation? Going back a bit I believe.

Stuart McCall I think

Sloppy
24-01-2010, 04:28 PM

If the laddie realises hes made the wrong decision and wants to do the right thing now he should get the opportunity. Harry Potters set a precedent with his policy of forgiveness and second chances. Tin hat on but I think the three amigos antics were far more insulting to Scotland and Scotland fans than a teenage laddie who made the wrong decision very early on in his career and who now wants to make amends.
:top marks

col02
24-01-2010, 04:48 PM
I assume the competition for a midfield position with Ireland is proving too tough for him? He made his choice to represent Ireland so on that basis he can stick with it.

Alex Trager
24-01-2010, 05:14 PM
indeed i do, if Boyd has seen the error of his ways then let him go and explain that to Craig Levein, as i have stated above this is playing for your country we're talking about not persuading players to sign for a club.

:top marksthats fine! i have a similar view

Musselbound
24-01-2010, 05:29 PM

Disagree in this instance. McCarthy already has international football with RoI so I'd say it's up to Levein to ask him to consider a change. If not, McCarthy is left in a position where he could lose his chance to play for RoI then find out Levein doesn't want him anyway.

Once you have made the decision to play for a certain country, that should be that. You should not be allowed to pck and choose on a whim, he made his choice and he should live with it.

Not really on a whim. He was never given the chance to play for Scotland. Fair enough to express your view on the principles but the rules state differently.

has he not already played for the ROI?

Only at U-21 level which means he can still make the change.

How did he piss Scotland around? They never wanted him.

Tell the wee judas prick to GTF

How is he a Judas? If you had the right to play for two countries and only one offered you the chance would you say no?

DirtyDeeds
24-01-2010, 06:13 PM
Don't think this situation can be compared to Boyd et al. They played for Scotland then either turned their back on the team, or got a bit ar$ey that the press busted them for being massively unprofessional.

On the other hand, this guy made a life-changing decision at 15 or 16. Based on the evidence put before him, ie some clown (i believe it was Archie Knox) refusing to even watch the guy play despite being a first-team player in Division 1 at 16. Hamilton were actively inviting him to be watched by the SFA, yet they did nothing. Not many folk are asked to make this kind of call at his young age. I couldnt even decide which bird in Hollyoaks i fancied at that age!!! He's now slightly older and maybe realised he was a bit hasty. A second chance that is more than deserved in my opinion, he's never disrespected or bad mouthed anyone, despite being booed or a number of years by opposition fans now (who actually boos a teenager??)

LET THE LADDIE PLAY!!!

Hiber-nation
24-01-2010, 06:30 PM
Don't think this situation can be compared to Boyd et al. They played for Scotland then either turned their back on the team, or got a bit ar$ey that the press busted them for being massively unprofessional.

On the other hand, this guy made a life-changing decision at 15 or 16. Based on the evidence put before him, ie some clown (i believe it was Archie Knox) refusing to even watch the guy play despite being a first-team player in Division 1 at 16. Hamilton were actively inviting him to be watched by the SFA, yet they did nothing. Not many folk are asked to make this kind of call at his young age. I couldnt even decide which bird in Hollyoaks i fancied at that age!!! He's now slightly older and maybe realised he was a bit hasty. A second chance that is more than deserved in my opinion, he's never disrespected or bad mouthed anyone, despite being booed or a number of years by opposition fans now (who actually boos a teenager??)

LET THE LADDIE PLAY!!!

Spot on - he was a daft laddie that got his head turned.

sesoim
24-01-2010, 10:42 PM
I was annoyed with McCarthy for choosing to play for Ireland - what was wrong with waiting a year or two for Scotland to pick him (he was only 16 at the time, not 30 ffs!).

But if he is seeing sense now then I think we should give him a chance, at least he appears to be regretting his decision, unlike that traitor McGeady.

MWHIBBIES
24-01-2010, 10:47 PM
I think he shoud be allowed to chose to play for scotland and we should not be turning away talent like him.

Anyone ever heard and interview with him hes like shabby cant string to words together lol.

Woody1985
24-01-2010, 10:59 PM
Disagree in this instance. McCarthy already has international football with RoI so I'd say it's up to Levein to ask him to consider a change. If not, McCarthy is left in a position where he could lose his chance to play for RoI then find out Levein doesn't want him anyway.

Boo **** i-n-g hoo.

It's no club fitba.

Not really on a whim. He was never given the chance to play for Scotland. Fair enough to express your view on the principles but the rules state differently.

Only at U-21 level which means he can still make the change.

How did he piss Scotland around? They never wanted him.

How is he a Judas? If you had the right to play for two countries and only one offered you the chance would you say no?

Away and take yer face fur a *****.

Granted, he wasn't selected at youth level but he made his choice and he can stick with it. It's paper talk and CL is trying to assemble the best squad he can by checking every avenue he can. I can say 100% right now I couldny care less if he became as good as Keano and his buddy turned out to be better than Giggs, I wouldn't want any of them to pull on the Scotland top.

Playing for a national team should be about pride and send shivers down the back of your neck when you get out on the pitch. It shouldn't be seen as an option to add a few hundred K to your market value or as a stepping stone to increase your salary.

Edit; FWIW I actually like him as a player and hope he succeeds.

Hainan Hibs
25-01-2010, 01:25 AM

:faf::faf:

Hibster
25-01-2010, 07:22 AM
I completely agree with others about playing for your country being a huge honour, and normally I wouldn't a player back who had given his allegiance to another country......but! he was what, 15 when he took up RIO's invitation? And we just can't afford to say no to such a bright prospect, we don't have the players. I'll be delighted if he opts to play for Scotland. He should definitely be the one approaching Levein though, not the other way round.

What happened with Andrew Driver and Scotland? Can't remember hearing anything about that for a while

Danderhall Hibs
25-01-2010, 07:25 AM

Only Boyd compares. McGregor and Ferguson were asked to leave.

Dominic Matteo?

Hibster
25-01-2010, 07:30 AM
Quote from McCarthy, November 2008

"What annoys me is that people don't bother to understand. They say I've done the same thing as Aiden McGeady, but the difference is he always wanted to play for Ireland," added McCarthy. "I wanted to play for Scotland and would have if I was asked, but they didn't think I was good enough. Ireland did."

MoantheCabbage
25-01-2010, 09:15 AM
Boo **** i-n-g hoo.

It's no club fitba.

Granted, he wasn't selected at youth level but he made his choice and he can stick with it. It's paper talk and CL is trying to assemble the best squad he can by checking every avenue he can. I can say 100% right now I couldny care less if he became as good as Keano and his buddy turned out to be better than Giggs, I wouldn't want any of them to pull on the Scotland top.

Playing for a national team should be about pride and send shivers down the back of your neck when you get out on the pitch. It shouldn't be seen as an option to add a few hundred K to your market value or as a stepping stone to increase your salary.

Edit; FWIW I actually like him as a player and hope he succeeds.

Yeah forget McCarthy Scotland already has a plethora of better players to call upon surely we dont need him:blah:

GET A GRIP, Scotland needs all the talent it can get its hands on and if the laddie wants to play for Scotland we should welcome him with open arms

Or would you prefer some 3rd rate English guy to come in and play?

Part/Time Supporter
25-01-2010, 09:18 AM
I'd pick him if I were Levein, the only reason McCarthy ended up with Ireland in the first place is because the GFA can't look beyond the end of their own nose and recognise talent at a "diddy club".

Phil MaGlass
25-01-2010, 09:21 AM
Dont think he chose Ireland, Ireland chose him due to the fact he was pitched to the SFA and they were not interested.Cant blame the lad for taking Irelands offer if your own country snubs you.The SFA have a shocking record for missing talent when its knocking on its door.

JimBHibees
25-01-2010, 09:33 AM

LET THE LADDIE PLAY!!!

Totally agree with that. An excellent talent we should be pursuing if he is reconsidering his initial decision.

Woody1985
25-01-2010, 10:45 AM
Yeah forget McCarthy Scotland already has a plethora of better players to call upon surely we dont need him:blah:

GET A GRIP, Scotland needs all the talent it can get its hands on and if the laddie wants to play for Scotland we should welcome him with open arms

Or would you prefer some 3rd rate English guy to come in and play?

The quality of players is irrelevant for me. I'd rather get pumped ten nil every game with Scottish players playing for the shirt. If McCarthy comes out and states that he made a mistake and wants CL to call him up and that he always wanted to play for Scotland and make a mistake by acting hastily then great, if he wants to stick with his decision we shouldn't be chasing him around IMO.

That should give you the answer to your question.

Bad Martini
25-01-2010, 11:08 AM
Agree Scotland shouldnt chase anyone.

But, my stance on a lot of this is much less for the current/past "manager" when we look at the ***** some players have had to put up with - I used to be black/white - endof type approach and thinking but not so much now. Riordan's treatment under Burley, getting 15 mins in Japan for a start. Boyd being told to piss off (then, agreed taking a huff but heyho, if someone pissed me off, I might do the same). Im sure Burley had told him he was never gonna play him, as Boyd cancelled a holiday and other stuff JUST for that wee jakey to say "**** you son, you wereny playing anyway" ... not the right thing to do (Boyd taking huff) BUT, I can almost understand it at least. That said, Ferguson and McGregor can GTF - pricks the two of them.

I am THEE biggest believer in if you **** off your country, you get told to bolt and NOT to come back. BUT, how about when its not black and white and perhaps theres someone been in the picture (such as yer Burleys etc) who have ****ed it up for the rest of us by screwing the players about???

As for this laddie - if HE wants to play, thats fine. But we dont ask him, HE, asks us.

ENDOF

Sandy
25-01-2010, 11:36 AM
Agree Scotland shouldnt chase anyone.

But, my stance on a lot of this is much less for the current/past "manager" when we look at the ***** some players have had to put up with - I used to be black/white - endof type approach and thinking but not so much now. Riordan's treatment under Burley, getting 15 mins in Japan for a start. Boyd being told to piss off (then, agreed taking a huff but heyho, if someone pissed me off, I might do the same). Im sure Burley had told him he was never gonna play him, as Boyd cancelled a holiday and other stuff JUST for that wee jakey to say "**** you son, you wereny playing anyway" ... not the right thing to do (Boyd taking huff) BUT, I can almost understand it at least. That said, Ferguson and McGregor can GTF - pricks the two of them.

I am THEE biggest believer in if you **** off your country, you get told to bolt and NOT to come back. BUT, how about when its not black and white and perhaps theres someone been in the picture (such as yer Burleys etc) who have ****ed it up for the rest of us by screwing the players about???

As for this laddie - if HE wants to play, thats fine. But we dont ask him, HE, asks us.

ENDOF

:top marks saved me a lot of typing BM :agree:

MoantheCabbage
25-01-2010, 11:46 AM
The quality of players is irrelevant for me. I'd rather get pumped ten nil every game with Scottish players playing for the shirt. If McCarthy comes out and states that he made a mistake and wants CL to call him up and that he always wanted to play for Scotland and make a mistake by acting hastily then great, if he wants to stick with his decision we shouldn't be chasing him around IMO.

That gives me your answer, Thankfully you will never be in power to make such a decision.

I want Scotland to win games and having the best players available to play for your country is the best way forward in my opinion, Scotland does not have the resources to be turning away player the calibre of James McCarthy.

dhmf
25-01-2010, 12:14 PM

From what i understand Scotland did all the pissing around, he cant have become a talent over night and Hamilton made him aware to Scotland but they chose to ignore him when he was younger and ROI didnt so you cant blame him for wanting to play international football. I wouldnt paly for Scotland now if i was him.

Woody1985
25-01-2010, 01:29 PM
That gives me your answer, Thankfully you will never be in power to make such a decision.

I want Scotland to win games and having the best players available to play for your country is the best way forward in my opinion, Scotland does not have the resources to be turning away player the calibre of James McCarthy.

Nor you.

I suspect that you're prepared to accept 3rd rate English players if they happen to be better than the Scots that are available?

Danderhall Hibs
25-01-2010, 01:29 PM
From what i understand Scotland did all the pissing around, he cant have become a talent over night and Hamilton made him aware to Scotland but they chose to ignore him when he was younger and ROI didnt so you cant blame him for wanting to play international football. I wouldnt paly for Scotland now if i was him.

So ‘cos he wasn’t picked for an age group team he should walk away? If he never had the ROI fallback what would your advice to him be?

MoantheCabbage
25-01-2010, 02:37 PM
Nor you.

I suspect that you're prepared to accept 3rd rate English players if they happen to be better than the Scots that are available?

Your chat is ridiculous.

HE IS SCOTTISH. Your whole argument is based on the fact that he chose to play for ROI at the tender age of 16. He now wants to play for Scotland and your attitude is to stop him, let me put this more simple to you

Scotland cant afford to let good SCOTTISH talent slip through their fingers, Then we wouldnt need the mediocre English players not wanted by their own country. He is also better than most of the current midfield Scotland players

Is that simple enough for ya?

Woody1985
25-01-2010, 03:01 PM
Your chat is ridiculous.

HE IS SCOTTISH. Your whole argument is based on the fact that he chose to play for ROI at the tender age of 16. He now wants to play for Scotland and your attitude is to stop him, let me put this more simple to you

Scotland cant afford to let good SCOTTISH talent slip through their fingers, Then we wouldnt need the mediocre English players not wanted by their own country. He is also better than most of the current midfield Scotland players

Is that simple enough for ya?

The newspapers have stated that he wants a return and they got that information from 'sources'. Has he actually confirmed this yet?

I personally don't think we should go chasing players who chose to represent another country. There was a lot of clamour to get him involved when Hamilton got to the SPL and everyone wanted him, he could easily have changed when he knew he was wanted. But he didn't.

Personally, I would support him playing for Scotland but I wouldn't go chasing after him. Call him up and see what happens but don't go grovelling like a bitch to him.

That's my opinion, is that okay? Should I PM you my thoughts so you can vet them before they are poster?

My question was generic and not specifically related to JM.

Musselbound
25-01-2010, 03:11 PM

Are you always this abusive to strangers or only the ones that happen to have a different opinion from you? I've no idea what the asterisks stand for (I'm not interested) but in any case there is no need for it.

McCarthy has already stated in interviews that he always wanted to play for Scotland. I think there was a quote on this thread. In my opinion he didn't make a mistake as there was only one choice on the table at the time so what does he have to apologise for? By the way, hope you can handle the difference of opinion without resorting to abuse this time.

Woody1985
25-01-2010, 03:15 PM
Are you always this abusive to strangers or only the ones that happen to have a different opinion from you? I've no idea what the asterisks stand for (I'm not interested) but in any case there is no need for it.

McCarthy has already stated in interviews that he always wanted to play for Scotland. I think there was a quote on this thread. In my opinion he didn't make a mistake as there was only one choice on the table at the time so what does he have to apologise for? By the way, hope you can handle the difference of opinion without resorting to abuse this time.

Sorry about that, I was reeking when I wrote that last night.

MWHIBBIES
25-01-2010, 03:17 PM
I wonder if stokes has a scotish granny.

Musselbound
25-01-2010, 05:03 PM
Sorry about that, I was reeking when I wrote that last night.

Apology accepted. No worries.:thumbsup:

Judas Iscariot
25-01-2010, 06:02 PM
Judas, like McGreedy..

500miles
25-01-2010, 06:30 PM
I would be pleased to see him. McCarthy played for Ireland as a boy, and felt loyal to them as the team that gave him his chance at that sort of level. Then Scotland turn up and say, "aye, we ignored you before, but you want to play for us now?", and although, even if he feels no bitterness towards the Scotland setup, he has a real problem on his hands. He feels a real connection to those who gave him a chance for Ireland, and his team mates, but he would love to play for Scotland. It's a hard decision for a 16/17 year old to make. Your friends or your country?

Boyd can continue to rot, his decision was all about Kris Boyd taking the huff, loyal only to himself. Nor has he got the excuse of being a boy at the time.

MoantheCabbage
26-01-2010, 07:29 AM
[QUOTE=Woody1985;2321136]Boo **** i-n-g hoo.

If you meant this as generic you should maybe look the word generic up in the dictionary.

Of course I would be happy to vet you inane scribblings before posting, what are friends for :agree::agree:

Woody1985
26-01-2010, 08:12 AM
If you meant this as generic you should maybe look the word generic up in the dictionary.

Of course I would be happy to vet you inane scribblings before posting, what are friends for :agree::agree:

Nor you.

I have no idea why you have quoted that post.

I was referring to my question above as being generic. I do know what it means and used it correctly.

MoantheCabbage
26-01-2010, 08:33 AM
The newspapers have stated that he wants a return and they got that information from 'sources'. Has he actually confirmed this yet?

I personally don't think we should go chasing players who chose to represent another country. There was a lot of clamour to get him involved when Hamilton got to the SPL and everyone wanted him, he could easily have changed when he knew he was wanted. But he didn't.

Personally, I would support him playing for Scotland but I wouldn't go chasing after him. Call him up and see what happens but don't go grovelling like a bitch to him.

That's my opinion, is that okay? Should I PM you my thoughts so you can vet them before they are poster?

My question was generic and not specifically related to JM.

This is the quote made which is specific to James McCarthy just like the thread is.

This is what generic means, just for clarification cos you clearly need it.

GENERIC

applicable to, or referring to all the members of a genus, class, group, or kind; general.

Woody1985
26-01-2010, 09:50 AM
This is the quote made which is specific to James McCarthy just like the thread is.

This is what generic means, just for clarification cos you clearly need it.

GENERIC

applicable to, or referring to all the members of a genus, class, group, or kind; general.

Doh, how stupid am I? I managed to ask a question in relation to Scotland team selection on a thread relating to discussions surrounding a player that may be selected for Scotland.

I don't think we should be chasing him, you do. I think that has pretty much covered it.

Woody1985
26-01-2010, 05:00 PM
Read in the paper earlier that JM's agent (IIRC) has said that "I spoke with him last night and his exact words were "No chance""...

mayo hibee
26-01-2010, 07:06 PM
Read in the paper earlier that JM's agent (IIRC) has said that "I spoke with him last night and his exact words were "No chance""...

Was told the same thing today by a journalist that knows him and has been in contact with him since this story broke.

hfc rd
26-01-2010, 09:35 PM
Would definately take him. The boy is one of the prospects to look out for in the future.

C I Hibee
26-01-2010, 10:09 PM
No brainer, made the wrong choice when still a laddie, get him playing for Scotland :agree:

Sir David Gray
26-01-2010, 10:14 PM
He's clearly a good, young player and if he wants to play for Scotland then pick him. If not, then I don't think we should be down on our hands and knees and begging him.

It could all be very immaterial anyway because if Levein brings Ferguson back into the squad, I will lose any interest in the national team until Levein goes.

mayo hibee
16-02-2010, 12:32 PM
http://www.herald.ie/sport/soccer/mccarthy-sticks-by-ireland-call-2064062.html (http://www.herald.ie/sport/soccer/mccarthy-sticks-by-ireland-call-2064062.html)

McCarthy sticks to his guns. Jim O'Brien probably switching back (I actually really rate him).

Woody1985
16-02-2010, 01:45 PM
http://www.herald.ie/sport/soccer/mccarthy-sticks-by-ireland-call-2064062.html (http://www.herald.ie/sport/soccer/mccarthy-sticks-by-ireland-call-2064062.html)

McCarthy sticks to his guns. Jim O'Brien probably switching back (I actually really rate him).

Not seen much of him but he seems to be rated pretty highly.

Not so sure on his 'It's something I'll have to think about comment though'. Makes him sound like another McGeady where his preferred choice is Ireland regardless of where he is born. Hopefully I'm wrong and he's just leaving his options open until he's called up by one or the other, which is understandable but it would be good if he commiteed to Scotland.

Exiled Hibby
16-02-2010, 02:08 PM
Get Andy Driver in...............oh, em...........

Speedy
02-03-2010, 08:36 PM
That's that one put to bed then

NOLA
03-03-2010, 01:30 AM
James McCarthy is welcome to the ROI, Seeing as he can't change his mind now:grr:

Judas Iscariot
03-03-2010, 06:10 AM
Traitor to HIS country.

Dashing Bob S
03-03-2010, 06:53 AM
In the case of McCarthy, the issue is the cowards and fools who run the game at international level and who can't see talent when it stares them in the face, particularly if it doesn't wear an OF jersey. These guys should be indentified and bloodied quickly. We can't complain if other nations are on the ball and we aren't.

Talented young players like Fyvie and Wotherspoon should be fast-tracked into the international team to let them becomes part of the set-up, the way England did with Rooney and Walcott. Instead, we let them get kicked to death by journeymen in our crap league and constantly tell them they aren't good enough.

Unless you are some bucket-headed Hun named John Fleck whom nobody has heard of, then there will be a fast-tracking DR/Sun campaign.

Scotland's international set-up stinks, and Levine, after all his battles with the SFA, has rolled over and let them tickle his belly. Gave up on international football ages ago, the only thing that hooks me now is the morbid fascination as to what next embarrassment will be.

SidBurns
03-03-2010, 07:20 AM
I say **** the wee Tom Kite! Why oh why anyone would want to play for a country they weren't born in!?! Obviously no the brightest. Another example of a Celtic supporter wanting to be linked to the Irish as opposed to us. In my opinion, it's this mentality that we always keep sectarianism in the game! Celtic are Irish, Rangers are E**lish, what a load of p!sh!

Also, why should the 'cowards and fools' who run the game chase after people!?! That's McCarthy's way out, "oh no-one loved me so I had to play for Ireland", **** off ya wee ginger pr!ck!

CropleyWasGod
03-03-2010, 08:53 AM
I say **** the wee Tom Kite! Why oh why anyone would want to play for a country they weren't born in!?! Obviously no the brightest. Another example of a Celtic supporter wanting to be linked to the Irish as opposed to us. In my opinion, it's this mentality that we always keep sectarianism in the game! Celtic are Irish, Rangers are E**lish, what a load of p!sh!

!

You mean like Patrick Viera, Alfredo di Stefano, Andy Driver?

Phil MaGlass
03-03-2010, 08:56 AM
He is young and as I have said before young lads will go with the team who pick him first,Scotland didnt,but surely we can all make mistakes at that age?

SidBurns
03-03-2010, 09:08 AM
You mean like Patrick Viera, Alfredo di Stefano, Andy Driver?

What's your point caller!?!?!?!

JimBHibees
03-03-2010, 09:09 AM
Found it stomach churning to see both he and McGeady playing at the same time. Complete joke IMO. Not interested how upset he was when he wasnt picked at 15.

cockneymike
03-03-2010, 12:02 PM

Also, why should the 'cowards and fools' who run the game chase after people!?! That's McCarthy's way out, "oh no-one loved me so I had to play for Ireland", **** off ya wee ginger pr!ck!

Joe Baker??

Apparently was a no bad player, from I what understand he actually wanted to play for Scotland, but wasn't born here so that was that.

It's not uncommon for people to have loyalty to more than one country, because of their family background. I think you're being remarkably short sighted to not see that.

Broken Gnome
03-03-2010, 12:10 PM

I was born in Brighton and moved to Edinburgh after four months. Would I **** play for England :greengrin

Hibernia Na Eir
03-03-2010, 12:26 PM
no one seems to take notice of the Rangers youngsters who play for Northern Irleand yet could play for Scotland........

wonder why???

JimBHibees
03-03-2010, 01:20 PM
no one seems to take notice of the Rangers youngsters who play for Northern Irleand yet could play for Scotland........

wonder why???

because nobody's heard of them

SidBurns
03-03-2010, 01:40 PM
I was born in Brighton and moved to Edinburgh after four months. Would I **** play for England :greengrin

Think this is a different scenario to McCarthy but good on you, I wouldn't wanna play for those Rex Hunts either! :greengrin

SidBurns
03-03-2010, 01:44 PM
Joe Baker??

1) Apparently was a no bad player, from I what understand he actually wanted to play for Scotland, but wasn't born here so that was that.

2) It's not uncommon for people to have loyalty to more than one country, because of their family background. I think you're being remarkably short sighted to not see that.

1) Tough

2) Half of my family come from down south but I got no loyalty to any country but Scotland. End of the day the rule should be simple, if your not born in the country then Jarkko Wiss off basically

Football is getting just as bad as other sports when it comes to changing countries, cricket and rugby are probably still worse though. Example, Eion Morgan was the first man to score over a century in cricket for two countries - SHAMBLES! :agree:

cockneymike
03-03-2010, 03:04 PM
1) Tough

2) Half of my family come from down south but I got no loyalty to any country but Scotland. End of the day the rule should be simple, if your not born in the country then Jarkko Wiss off basically

Football is getting just as bad as other sports when it comes to changing countries, cricket and rugby are probably still worse though. Example, Eion Morgan was the first man to score over a century in cricket for two countries - SHAMBLES! :agree:

What about if you're born in guernsey - like Matt Le Tissier was, who should be play for? They don't have an international football team?

CropleyWasGod
03-03-2010, 03:52 PM
What about if you're born in guernsey - like Matt Le Tissier was, who should be play for? They don't have an international football team?

Le Tiss and Le Saux (a Jersey donkey) could have chosen any one of the four UK teams.

CropleyWasGod
03-03-2010, 03:55 PM
What's your point caller!?!?!?!

You asked why would anyone want to play for a country they weren't born in? None of the three I mentioned, out of many I could have, were born in the country they play (or, in Driver's case, want to play) for.

Each of them has their own reasons for doing so. Each of them illustrates the point that nationality is more complex than just where you were born and what's on your passport.

Woody1985
03-03-2010, 04:17 PM

wonder why???

because nobody's heard of them

Exactly, who are they?

An aspect that pisses people off is that they are good enough to play for the national team but chose to go with their rantic tendencies.

I think that is different from someone who won't make the grade at Scotland level. Take the Brazilian that plays for Japan as an example. No one cares.