PDA

View Full Version : James McArthur

onemcnamara
24-01-2010, 10:49 AM
I haven't seen it on any other thread but I thought it worth mentioning how good a player young James is. Thought he was comfortable, confident and capable of making something happen every time he got the ball yesterday. But he didn't have enough quality around him.

How he's still at Hamilton is beyond me. Would live to see him in our midfield. He'd score a barrowload. Sadly out of our league I imagine.

Petrie's Tache
24-01-2010, 10:54 AM
A 3 of:

...................McBride......................

Miller............................McCarthur.....

Would for me, however I expect he is out of our price range in terms of wages as Chapionship and Premiership clubs have been sniffing. That said Yogi could sell Hibs to him in terms of development.

Cocaine&Caviar
24-01-2010, 10:58 AM
Hull were very interested, dont know howe they could afford him though as you would imagine if they can get £3.5m for McCarthy, they'll get at least £1m+ for McArthur...

Hate to say it, but reminds me of a young Ferguson.

Baldy
24-01-2010, 11:01 AM
I believe that the amount that Accies are after is closer to £300k as he is out of contract in the summer and that is the amount quoted to Preston before Alan Irvine was sacked a fortnight ago, so I think we could afford it, especially if we offer Rankin in return as I know Billy Reid rate's him

onemcnamara
24-01-2010, 11:05 AM
especially if we offer Rankin in return as I know Billy Reid rate's him

That is the best bit of business we might ever do!

McD
24-01-2010, 11:06 AM
I believe that the amount that Accies are after is closer to £300k as he is out of contract in the summer and that is the amount quoted to Preston before Alan Irvine was sacked a fortnight ago, so I think we could afford it, especially if we offer Rankin in return as I know Billy Reid rate's him

Would be a cracking deal if true :thumbsup:

Part/Time Supporter
24-01-2010, 11:07 AM
Hull were very interested, dont know howe they could afford him though as you would imagine if they can get £3.5m for McCarthy, they'll get at least £1m+ for McArthur...

except they didn't.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/jul/20/james-mccarthy-wigan-athletic-hamilton-academical

It is believed Wigan will pay an initial £2m for the player, with a series of add-ons written into the deal.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/8146848.stm

a fee of about £1.2m rising to £3m depending on appearances

Part/Time Supporter
24-01-2010, 11:08 AM

It makes sense that Hull would be interested in then because they are tom flint. Their chairman was on local radio last week saying they need to cut their payroll by £8M to break even (and that's based on them being in the Prem)

Huns would have signed McArthur already if they weren't completely potless.

Toaods
24-01-2010, 11:10 AM
A coninving wee rat, dirty ***** with late challenges, divies on contact, never gave the ball back when teh ref stupidly stopped the game...........perfect, offer Rankin and Cregg they can both go.

Sandy
24-01-2010, 11:11 AM

Now that would be some signing, not just a squad player either. We might be able to tempt him on the basis of past young talents progression at ER.

Toaods
24-01-2010, 11:21 AM
I think he could be better than Arfield would.

Cocaine&Caviar
24-01-2010, 11:25 AM

Too late to add a poll?

Cocaine&Caviar
24-01-2010, 11:28 AM

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/spl/hamilton-academicals/james-mcarthur-ready-to-leave-hamilton-says-billy-reid-1.996645 (http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/spl/hamilton-academicals/james-mcarthur-ready-to-leave-hamilton-says-billy-reid-1.996645)

McArthur, who has 18 months left on his contract, is prepared to listen to any offers. “If there are bids, we need to sit down and look at it,” he said. “I would like to go down to England the next stage of my career but you don’t know where your future lies.”

NORTHERNHIBBY
24-01-2010, 11:29 AM
We shoud try and sell the deal to the player as a next step up before heading down south. Make it clear we won't stand in his way and make that clear to his agent as well and avoid the KT nonsense. Sell it to the board on the basis that the worst we would do would be to get our money back in capital terms, but the bonus would be on the park.:agree:

Toaods
24-01-2010, 11:31 AM
Too late to add a poll?

just start one off yourself :agree:

PeterboroHibee
24-01-2010, 11:35 AM
Be a great signing but cant see it, if EPL clubs are genuinely interested we really couldnt compete.

A trio of Miller, McBride and McArthur would be really tough to beat!

Petrie's Tache
24-01-2010, 11:59 AM
We shoud try and sell the deal to the player as a next step up before heading down south. Make it clear we won't stand in his way and make that clear to his agent as well and avoid the KT nonsense. Sell it to the board on the basis that the worst we would do would be to get our money back in capital terms, but the bonus would be on the park.:agree:

Thats the way I look at it to. :agree: He only has to look at the fees and wages players have got moving on from Hibs and the fact they have been allowed to go.

Would rather have him than Arfield TBH.

IWasThere2016
24-01-2010, 12:57 PM

:agree:

maturehibby
24-01-2010, 01:17 PM
Not as good as Wotherspoon except for diving

Perspective
24-01-2010, 04:21 PM
Another real talent who is as tenacious as he is technically gifted.

He'd be a real asset but he's on record as saying he wants to go down to England and earn as much money as he can for his family. No harm there.

I'm also an Arfield fan but he's been rank rotten all season for Falkirk. Whether he just needs a change of scenery or not to kickstart his career I don't know.

Musselbound
24-01-2010, 05:35 PM
Only saw the highlights of the game on Hibs TV and didn't think he showed much. However, that's not surprising in a 5-1 defeat. I thought McArthur looked very impressive in the playmaker role in the 3-3 draw with Rangers the other week.:agree:

Dibben
24-01-2010, 05:38 PM
Another real talent who is as tenacious as he is technically gifted.

He'd be a real asset but he's on record as saying he wants to go down to England and earn as much money as he can for his family. No harm there.

I'm also an Arfield fan but he's been rank rotten all season for Falkirk. Whether he just needs a change of scenery or not to kickstart his career I don't know.

His dip in form may have put off other suitors, and may have made Falkirk easier to deal with.

Yogi, with knowing him so well, will know whether he is what we need right now or not. He may not get a starting slot initially, but looking at our midfield yesterday after Miller & McBride went off, he will be better than what we have on the bench right now!!

This may still happen.

BH.

18/03/07
24-01-2010, 05:38 PM
Will be at er

Barney McGrew
24-01-2010, 05:41 PM
Given that we could never match the wages that will be on offer for him elsewhere, the only way we'd get him (if Yogi wanted him) would be to offer a sizeable chunk of any future transfer fee.

It could work out a very good deal for both parties.

Dibben
24-01-2010, 05:41 PM
Will be at er

Guess or 'in the know'?

January or in the summer?

:cool2:

BH.