PDA

View Full Version : How much a star in the making is Wotherspoon?

col02
23-01-2010, 10:20 PM
I have watched a fair few quality players come and go at Hibs the past 6 or 7 seasons and Wotherspoon to my mind is up there as one of the most promising players I have seen at Hibs. There is a lot of similiarities with Whittaker but I think the fact Wotherspoon's final ball is so much better it will set him out apart from even the best players we have produced. There will be blips there with him playing RB and hopefully Hughes will try and protect him as and when needed but he is definately a player who is only going to get better and better imho. I should add of course that this is dependant on him keeping his head down and working hard.

Andy74
23-01-2010, 10:23 PM
Ssshhh!

EasterRoad4Ever
23-01-2010, 10:24 PM
I have watched a fair few quality players come and go at Hibs the past 6 or 7 seasons and Wotherspoon to my mind is up there as one of the most promising players I have seen at Hibs. There is a lot of similiarities with Whittaker but I think the fact Wotherspoon's final ball is so much better it will set him out apart from even the best players we have produced. There will be blips there with him playing RB and hopefully Hughes will try and protect him as and when needed but he is definately a player who is only going to get better and better imho. I should add of course that this is dependant on him keeping his head down and working hard.

:agree: He has all the composure of Whitty but is a better and more intelligent footballer. If he keeps his head down and doesn;t get carried away with moving along the M8 too soon, and has a good agent, he will have a great career. Really looking forward to seeing him established in our m/f.

col02
23-01-2010, 10:25 PM
:agree: He has all the composure of Whitty but is a better and more intelligent footballer. If he keeps his head down and doesn;t get carried away with moving along the M8 too soon, and has a good agent, he will have a great career. Really looking forward to seeing him established in our m/f.

Has he been capped at Under 21 level yet for Scotland?

Pretty Boy
23-01-2010, 10:27 PM
I think he could be one the smellies really regret letting go. He has all the natural ability to be a real star.

Ach well Celtcs loss is our gain.

Gerrintaethem
23-01-2010, 10:27 PM

Definately quite a few times, not sure how many but definately 10+.

oconnors_strip
23-01-2010, 10:28 PM

yes, he made his first appearance at that level in a 4–0 win against Azerbaijan in November 2009

PC Stamp
23-01-2010, 10:29 PM

3 U18 caps
5 U19 caps
1 U21 cap

PaulSmith
23-01-2010, 10:30 PM
Will be spl young player of year next season whilst playing in midfield. Best I've seen coming through ranks. Him and Hanlon are going to be massive.

col02

yes, he made his first appearance at that level in a 4–0 win against Azerbaijan in November 2009

Good stuff for the lad then and fully deserved. Him and Murray at left back give us something special in the full back area and long may it continue.

Gerrintaethem
3 U18 caps
5 U19 caps
1 U21 cap

Shows how much I know. Has he been around the squad for a while but unused?

Alfred E Newman
23-01-2010, 10:31 PM
How long before we sell him? :brickwall

Pedantic_Hibee
23-01-2010, 10:38 PM
How long before we sell him? :brickwall

I'd say within the next 18 months/2 years. One thing is for sure though, he'll potentially command a higher fee than Scott Brown did when he moved to Celtic.

I'm_cabbaged
23-01-2010, 10:39 PM
Will be spl young player of year next season whilst playing in midfield. Best I've seen coming through ranks. Him and Hanlon are going to be massive.

People seem to forget that PH is from the same age group as DW, to play his first game at CH in the SPL against a strong CF and to do it well speaks volumes for him. The futures bright..........

oconnors_strip
23-01-2010, 10:42 PM
Shows how much I know. Has he been around the squad for a while but unused?

david was called up to the under 21 squad in october last year. before that he was with the under 19s and regularly involved in training camps and games. he just turned 20 last weekend and i can see him being involved in every scotland game at u21 and senior level.

Mibbes Aye
23-01-2010, 10:48 PM

All credit to David, think it's fair to say he's had a great season so far.

Also worth acknowledging he's only got a couple of dozen games at SPL level under his belt. It's nothing, and by any fair measure he's got several seasons of learning ahead of him. Nevertheless, he's shown up remmarkably well. :thumbsup:

Mibbes Aye
23-01-2010, 10:50 PM
People seem to forget that PH is from the same age group as DW, to play his first game at CH in the SPL against a strong CF and to do it well speaks volumes for him. The futures bright..........

:agree: Hanlon was pushed forward markedly earlier than his peers. Its a big jump, but the potential is obviously there.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
23-01-2010, 10:57 PM

Paul and David are progressing very nicely. For me though in the U19s games I saw last year the standouts were Currie, Welsh and Smith.

I think it helped D to make his way into the squad as we were short of a right back. More competition for the likes of Currie and Welsh, but i hope they get their heads down, work hard and are patient as they both have the ability to be future stars.

For me though, Smith is a gem. The laddie looks as though he would run through a brick wall for Hibs, strong, fearless and and is a ball playing centre half.

MWHIBBIES
23-01-2010, 11:24 PM
It is quite sad that were not a bigger club so we can hold on to players like him when they come though.

When a young player comes up from arsenal or barca they know they only have to sell them if they want to not if they need to.

MrSmith
23-01-2010, 11:39 PM
I'd say within the next 18 months/2 years. One thing is for sure though, he'll potentially command a higher fee than Scott Brown did when he moved to Celtic.

Without a shadow of a doubt!

Worthy is the most worthy player I have seen in a long time! JC was the last!

Pretty Boy
23-01-2010, 11:43 PM
It is quite sad that were not a bigger club so we can hold on to players like him when they come though.

When a young player comes up from arsenal or barca they know they only have to sell them if they want to not if they need to.

I think we are passed the days of 'having' to sell players. However realistically some players are destined for a higher level than Hibs. When they see the wages on offer and the opportunities of playing in a better league of course they will want to go and challenge themselves.

Therefore i think it is only good sense for Hibs to 'choose' to sell these players at the right price rather than losing them for nothing on a bosman.

On saying that i hope we can hold onto Wotherspoon for as long as possible and hopefully get him on a long term deal to ensure we do command good money if he fulfils his undoubted potential.

whiskyhibby
23-01-2010, 11:43 PM
He is a fantastic player with a great future, but I dont see him any better than Whittaker at a similar age.....................

whiskyhibby
23-01-2010, 11:44 PM

Sorry dont see it..................

hfc rd
24-01-2010, 12:14 AM
Has the potential to go to the very top. :top marks. It makes you think as to why on earth Mixu kept him in the U 19's last season, with the talent this boy has?

oconnors_strip
24-01-2010, 12:25 AM
Has the potential to go to the very top. :top marks. It makes you think as to why on earth Mixu kept him in the U 19's last season, with the talent this boy has?

because mixu didnt have a clue about the under 19s!! he hardly even knew some of the boys names never mind know how good a player they were:bitchy:

im glad david played at u19 level last season, he was part of the treble winning squad and played a big part in that.

MWHIBBIES
24-01-2010, 12:28 AM
I think we are passed the days of 'having' to sell players. However realistically some players are destined for a higher level than Hibs. When they see the wages on offer and the opportunities of playing in a better league of course they will want to go and challenge themselves.

Therefore i think it is only good sense for Hibs to 'choose' to sell these players at the right price rather than losing them for nothing on a bosman.

On saying that i hope we can hold onto Wotherspoon for as long as possible and hopefully get him on a long term deal to ensure we do command good money if he fulfils his undoubted potential.Yeh i was not meening us have to sell them i was meening what you were meening.

tbfhibs
24-01-2010, 12:29 AM
He is a fantastic player with a great future, but I dont see him any better than Whittaker at a similar age.....................
True, a bit early to say,but does excite.

hfc rd
24-01-2010, 12:31 AM
because mixu didnt have a clue about the under 19s!! he hardly even knew some of the boys names never mind know how good a player they were:bitchy:

im glad david played at u19 level last season, he was part of the treble winning squad and played a big part in that.

True, so am I. But he would have gave the first team a bit of help. We had JJ at RM & Van Zanten at RB. That smells like disaster. But anyway we have moved on from then.

Dashing Bob S
24-01-2010, 05:20 AM

On saying that i hope we can hold onto Wotherspoon for as long as possible and hopefully get him on a long term deal to ensure we do command good money if he fulfils his undoubted potential.

Agree with this and would add that the market for talented players is close to saturation level, and that works in our favour. The EPL (and the OF) are in a poor shape financially, and many clubs face extreme cost-cutting or going to the wall. Basically, I doubt whether they will be able to maintain huge squads in the future.

I can see Hibs prospering by our policy of slow, sustained incremental growth.

Barney McGrew
24-01-2010, 08:01 AM
I think he could be one the smellies really regret letting go. He has all the natural ability to be a real star.

Ach well Celtcs loss is our gain.

It was more a case of DW wanting to leave Celtic rather than them letting him go. He wanted to be somewhere that he could develop as a player, and chose Hibs because of the record we have in giving talented youngsters a chance.

There's no doubt he'll move on in the future to a higher level if he keeps improving in the way he has. I'd be very surprised if that's along the M8, because he's a lot smarter than that.

CentreLine
24-01-2010, 09:37 AM
With his energy he reminds me a lot of Des Bremner with goals in him. I am really surprised that he has not got his name amongst the goal scorers yet. But it will come and I hope its with the winner this Wednesday

Godsahibby
24-01-2010, 09:40 AM
he scored on his debut

SmashinGlass
24-01-2010, 09:43 AM
With his energy he reminds me a lot of Des Bremner with goals in him. I am really surprised that he has not got his name amongst the goal scorers yet. But it will come and I hope its with the winner this Wednesday

Is that apart from the goal he scored on opening day :confused: :wink:

Hibby Bairn
24-01-2010, 10:01 AM
He has the natural knack of waiting a split second more before making a decision on what to do with the ball. And appears to have more rounded techinical ability to enable him to do what he wants with the ball. For that reason IMO he will end up better than KT, Brown and Whittaker.

Green Man
24-01-2010, 10:12 AM
I've been so impressed with DW this season, I love watching him play. He had another superb game yesterday, he seems to have a maturity far ahead of his 20 years. Looks assured on the ball and always works his butt off - I'd like to know how many miles he covered yesterday. He's got a great future ahead of him.

weonlywon6-2
24-01-2010, 10:21 AM

why? are they getting healthy eating tips from nade !:greengrin:greengrin

Fifer
24-01-2010, 10:30 AM
:thumbsup::top marks

Cocaine&Caviar
24-01-2010, 11:36 AM
He also seems comfortable on both feet...

jdships
24-01-2010, 11:38 AM
Reckon DW & PH could turn out to be as good as KT /Brown /Whittaker given time.
Problem for me is that their versatility could go against them.
Surely it has to be decided soon what is their best position
As we know from this forum there is a great debate on this
For what it's worth I reckon the cream of the next crop will be Smith the young C/H - certainly seems to have the ability to go right to the top !!!

:flag:

greenlex
24-01-2010, 12:48 PM
Reckon DW & PH could turn out to be as good as KT /Brown /Whittaker given time.
Problem for me is that their versatility could go against them.
Surely it has to be decided soon what is their best position
As we know from this forum there is a great debate on this
For what it's worth I reckon the cream of the next crop will be Smith the young C/H - certainly seems to have the ability to go right to the top !!!

:flag:
Can I add a mention for Callum Booth. I reckon if Murray doesnt sign again Yogi should just throw him in at Left back and see if he can make the step up. Fantastic player who gets up and down that left flank in the 19s.

500miles
24-01-2010, 01:42 PM

Impressive condering how good a right back Whittaker was for us, and how that's not even Wotherspoon's primary position? He's certainly no less of a player than Whittaker.

Speedway
25-01-2010, 10:47 AM
Did Hibs publicise DW signing his contract extension in December? I don't remember reading much about it.