PDA

View Full Version : Yogi's post match interview:

Pedantic_Hibee
23-01-2010, 09:41 PM
He's finally stepped off the fence and said 3rd place is what he wants and he's not going to skirt around it anymore. That's what he wants and that's what he's demanding from the players, i.e sacrificing everything for the next 3 months to ensure we keep 3rd spot.

Interesting to note at the end of the interview he stated he's happy with the squad he's got and he thinks he can get more out of them, whilst adding that if he were to bring in 1 or 2 players it would only be to "help these players along".

You can interpret that in two ways; 1) there'll be no new signings as he's happy with what he's got and it would be pointless to bring anyone in, or 2) he's happy with the squad but he wants to bring in one or two experienced players to help us over the finishing line and set examples to the younger, less experienced players in the squad.

Thoughts?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/8476975.stm

DaveF
23-01-2010, 10:16 PM
I think it's a plain as the nose on your face that Hughes needs a couple of players in, but he's not going to come out in the press and say as much.

Happy that he is backing the current group, but todays substitutions (albeit with a changed formation to boot) probably told him that he needs a little more strength in depth to grab that 3rd spot.

EasterRoad4Ever
23-01-2010, 10:19 PM
He's finally stepped off the fence and said 3rd place is what he wants and he's not going to skirt around it anymore. That's what he wants and that's what he's demanding from the players, i.e sacrificing everything for the next 3 months to ensure we keep 3rd spot.

Interesting to note at the end of the interview he stated he's happy with the squad he's got and he thinks he can get more out of them, whilst adding that if he were to bring in 1 or 2 players it would only be to "help these players along".

You can interpret that in two ways; 1) there'll be no new signings as he's happy with what he's got and it would be pointless to bring anyone in, or 2) he's happy with the squad but he wants to bring in one or two experienced players to help us over the finishing line and set examples to the younger, less experienced players in the squad.

Thoughts?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/8476975.stm

Current players have just delivered a 5-1 win. He's not about to suggest they're not good enough and need to be replaced. Would be a real slap in the face.

ronaldo7
23-01-2010, 10:25 PM
If we are still on Celtc's coat tails in April then he should ammend 3rd for 2nd and really push the squad to the limits.

I'm sure he'd like a couple of players in this window, however if he has to work with what he's got, then so be it.

If we get 3rd this season we'll all be delighted:agree:

Andy74
23-01-2010, 10:27 PM
Despitecthe clamour for a right back and a centre half we don't actually have a real problem in either position. We should be good enough for third even with no new signings. Saying that I'd love a couple of new guys to help us along just in case!

col02
23-01-2010, 10:34 PM
Despitecthe clamour for a right back and a centre half we don't actually have a real problem in either position. We should be good enough for third even with no new signings. Saying that I'd love a couple of new guys to help us along just in case!

:agree: Unless another Liam Miller type player becomes available there is no need to sign anymore players. Less players signed for tha sake off it the better and allows an improved contract to be offered to guys we want to keep while in the summer guys who are out of contract give room to bring a player or two in.

sahib
23-01-2010, 10:34 PM

I worry about filling out the squad with journeymen. Keep introducing young players would be my prefered tactic.

blackpoolhibs
23-01-2010, 10:37 PM
I worry about filling out the squad with journeymen. Keep introducing young players would be my prefered tactic.

I dont think Yogi would do that.

Westie1875
23-01-2010, 10:43 PM
The no.1 signing priority should be getting Ian Murray to put pen to paper, I'd be satisfied with that and nothing else tbh.

stubru59
23-01-2010, 11:15 PM
Still think the squad lacks quality. When our best eleven are playing to their potential we look good.

Our best eleven don't always hit the 7 out of 10 scale and we are limited in our options when making changes to our game plan.

Hughes probably senses that bringing the right players in during this window may prove difficult.

silverhibee
23-01-2010, 11:42 PM
The no.1 signing priority should be getting Ian Murray to put pen to paper, I'd be satisfied with that and nothing else tbh.

Dont hold your breath on that one.:grr:

truehibernian
24-01-2010, 12:18 AM
Championship side who had recent "problems" with the Inland Revenue are monitoring Ian at the moment sadly and there is a big chance if they weigh in with an offer that he would go. :boo hoo:

Pretty Boy
24-01-2010, 12:20 AM
Championship side who had recent "problems" with the Inland Revenue are monitoring Ian at the moment sadly and there is a big chance if they weigh in with an offer that he would go. :boo hoo:

Cardiff?

truehibernian
24-01-2010, 12:22 AM
Indeed

Liberal Hibby
24-01-2010, 12:28 AM
Still think the squad lacks quality. When our best eleven are playing to their potential we look good.

Our best eleven don't always hit the 7 out of 10 scale and we are limited in our options when making changes to our game plan.

Hughes probably senses that bringing the right players in during this window may prove difficult.

Fair post.

Given our budget I'd be a bit more lenient in expecting 7/10 from everyone - I'm not convinced it's realistic - some at our level (at the moment) are always going to have good and bad days.

But I think you're right about the transfer window. Yogi doesn't want or need to make panic signings - there should be enough quality in the existing squad to make Europe and that's the goal. It far better to deal in the summer without the level of expectations that exist in January.

HFC 0-7
24-01-2010, 09:29 AM
I think it's a plain as the nose on your face that Hughes needs a couple of players in, but he's not going to come out in the press and say as much.

Happy that he is backing the current group, but todays substitutions (albeit with a changed formation to boot) probably told him that he needs a little more strength in depth to grab that 3rd spot.

Totally agree with the subs part. I thought hibs looked pretty mince after the subs were made. The shape was totally lost, which is worrying because we may need to start a game with that sort of line up later in the season when injuries and suspensions come into play. I think Yogi will know this though and he will have it covered!

Hibbyradge
24-01-2010, 09:31 AM

Exactly right. :agree:

Disc O'Dave
24-01-2010, 09:39 AM
Totally agree with the subs part. I thought hibs looked pretty mince after the subs were made. The shape was totally lost, which is worrying because we may need to start a game with that sort of line up later in the season when injuries and suspensions come into play. I think Yogi will know this though and he will have it covered!

I do agree, but there's also the fact that at 5-0, seeing the two main midfielders being withdrawn with the next game in mind, it would only be natural for others in the team to also take it down a gear or two, keeping something in the tank for Celtic. That will anger some folk but...

....no doubt if everyone kept up the same pace, and ended up getting injured, there would be complaints a plenty about "why risk injury when the game is already won"

The exception that proves the rule is the forwards who were looking for a hat-trick, who never stopped until the final whistle.

KWJ
24-01-2010, 09:43 AM

Yogi said himself it was his fault for changing the shape that we lost our grip. So the subs didn't change it, yogi did. Benji is definetly good enough for the SPL and while I've not seen Cregg or Galbraith yet I don't think we can cast them to the side. Lewis would also be a good player for other SPL sides and he didn't even get on the pitch for us. We have strength in depth but you can't expect players with little game time to always come on and be right into the pace of things.

Expecting Rain
24-01-2010, 09:56 AM
We need a right back and a centre back and possibly a different type of striker, it was a cracking result yesterday but Hamilton played their part and all credit to them, they played an open attacking game and forced Smith into at least four very good saves. Our best eleven would suggest we don`t need more signings but in reality injuries and suspensions will prove otherwise, we also need strength on the bench which is not easy to aquire given the fact there is a lot of huffy footballers who can`t see the bigger picture.

NOLA
24-01-2010, 11:39 AM

Plymouth??

MontrealHibs
24-01-2010, 11:40 AM
If Murray is going... Charlie Mulgrew anyone?