PDA

View Full Version : Rankin

hibee_girl
23-01-2010, 07:05 PM
Felt he deserved a thread of his own :agree:

Thought he had a brilliant game today, even though there was the usual folk on his back straight away he didn't let it get to him and really gave a good performance

Long may it continue :thumbsup:

Dashing Bob S
23-01-2010, 07:07 PM

Thought he had a brilliant game today, even though there was the usual folk on his back straight away he didn't let it get to him and really gave a good performance

Looked good with McBride telling what to do. Was lost when McBride and Miller went off.

MyJo
23-01-2010, 07:22 PM
Sorry but Rankin was garbage in the first half and totally anonymous in the second half. Can't pass over 5 yards, loses every 50-50 challenge, can't beat a man and ends up losing possession, can't shoot, can barely tackle and is piss poor at corners.

How he continues to get a game is beyond me.

RickyS
23-01-2010, 07:25 PM

thought he played well today, apart from the last 20 mins, but then everyone was poor.

Broken Gnome
23-01-2010, 07:27 PM
Genuinely hope he does well of course, but when Hibs play like that it only emphasises that he does not have the talent of a Miller nor the influence of a McBride, and lack the vision of either. It was something of a return to form at least.

Cameron1875
23-01-2010, 07:28 PM
Wasnt a standout and christ knows what his chip attempt was all about when he could have just shot. i dont understand why some people rate him. Is it just because he tries hard because we could find plenty like that in the 1st or 2nd division. It cant be for his passing, crossing or shooting:confused:

Shrekko
23-01-2010, 07:35 PM
I find it hard to criticise such a committed pro who no matter what his shortcomings are doesnt hide- unlike others who just try and get away with quietly doing the basics and not getting too involved.

But...we need better. His lack of vision and awareness is painful to watch at times, he's the opposite of McBride who seems to know what to do every time he's on the ball.

Decent first half from JR today but not good in the second.

Jonnyboy
23-01-2010, 07:41 PM
I think he benefitted from McBride's return to the starting eleven but then he wasn't the only one :wink:

AugustaHibs
23-01-2010, 07:47 PM
Sorry but Rankin was garbage in the first half and totally anonymous in the second half. Can't pass over 5 yards, loses every 50-50 challenge, can't beat a man and ends up losing possession, can't shoot, can barely tackle and is piss poor at corners.

disagree to be honest, thought he played very well and unlucky at the end for the dissallowed goal.

fife hfc
23-01-2010, 08:00 PM
Looked good with McBride telling what to do. Was lost when McBride and Miller went off.

Agree that he played well with them both on the pitch and struggled a bit when they went off. But he struggled due to us being outnumbered in midfield with playing basically 4 forwards. I'm not one of rankin's biggest fans but felt he played very well today. Keep it up John:thumbsup:

Leithenhibby
23-01-2010, 08:06 PM

That is a bit tight, giving that everyone was gash..:agree:

Would have taken 5-1 before a ball was kicked though..:cool2:

Sudds_1
23-01-2010, 08:08 PM

Certainly he was better - but benefitted from McBride's return. Faded badly when Mcbride went off..........as did many of them....which maybe shows he lacks the necessary vision and ability to control his own game. Proved what I already thought - he's a squad player and not really a first pick.

Not quite sure what the subs demonstrated other than we might not be as string in depth as we had hoped........mind you, 20 mins aint a lot to get into a game thats already well won.:wink:

King Paddy
23-01-2010, 08:23 PM
I agree thought Rankin had a superb match. I get so frustrated at my fellow Hibs fans who knock him in the same way they use to moan at Brian Hamilton. IMHO we need guys like Rankin who work their socks of in every match and don't hide when the going gets tough like the premadonna's of this world Roirdon/Zemamma. Keep up the hard work Rankin on today's performance you were the heartbeat of our team along with Miller and Mcbride.

Disc O'Dave
23-01-2010, 08:48 PM
I agree thought Rankin had a superb match. I get so frustrated at my fellow Hibs fans who knock him in the same way they use to moan at Brian Hamilton. IMHO we need guys like Rankin who work their socks of in every match and don't hide when the going gets tough like the premadonna's of this world Roirdon/Zemamma. Keep up the hard work Rankin on today's performance you were the heartbeat of our team along with Miller and Mcbride.

Agree completely.

Unfortunately though, Rankin is now in the "we've made up our mind about him and rather than change our minds, we'll go out of our way to portray him as rubbish" category we are so good at creating.

You can see it at the game when three or four players in a row make errors without comment, but then when a poor pass from, say, Miller or Riordan goes too far in front of him to reach, there's howls of derision and "******s sake Rankin!" from wee pockets of fans here and there.

If he were to save children from a burning orphanage, you can bet the first thread on here would be "Rankin touches hot kids" (® Russel Howard)

majorhibs
23-01-2010, 09:13 PM

The guy is a worker... so would I be of I got a game for Hibs. However if we want to STAY in 3rd place we need better than just workers whose game has LOTS of inadequacies. Comparing him to Hamilton is probably about the poorest defence of anything since the French thought their Maginot(sp) line would stop the jerries in the 2nd world war. Hamilton was mince, anyone watching him at the time cept for Stevie Wonder could see that! But he was a worker!

wanderer11
23-01-2010, 10:14 PM

you being a hibee is beyond me.... you are having a laugh mate.

Cabbage1875
23-01-2010, 10:22 PM

Spot on.

Removed
23-01-2010, 10:25 PM

You have already stated you're not a Hibs fan so imo your views are irrelevant so :bye:

ronaldo7
23-01-2010, 10:32 PM

You must have left this quote up from last week Myjo.

Different game this week and a different performance from Rankin.

heidtheba
23-01-2010, 10:40 PM

Thats an interesting analogy...just to continue it...from what I remember of 94/95 when we lost Hamilton we quickly brought in Pat McGinlay from Celtic and he slotted in at the same place. McGinlay was better in most ways (and scored much more) BUT we lost something when Hammy went and our shape that season seemed to be lost. Would swapping Rankin out for someone 'better' have the same result?

Thought I'd throw that in...Sorry its a bit random!

MyJo
23-01-2010, 10:42 PM

Your not actually a hibs fan so understanding "being a hibee" full stop is beyond you.

You must have left this quote up from last week Myjo.

Different game this week and a different performance from Rankin.

Nope sorry, i thought Rankin looked amateur at best today and the performances of those around him, McBride, Miller, Stokes & Nish covered for his failings.

ronaldo7
23-01-2010, 10:46 PM
Your not actually a hibs fan so understanding "being a hibee" full stop is beyond you.

Nope sorry, i thought Rankin looked amateur at best today and the performances of those around him, McBride, Miller, Stokes & Nish covered for his failings.

Faid do's

My opinion is that he played well in a team of midfielders playing well, all doing their jobs.

We agree to disagree:wink:

And I'll take 5-1 every week ta:wink:

MyJo
23-01-2010, 10:49 PM
Faid do's

My opinion is that he played well in a team of midfielders playing well, all doing their jobs.

We agree to disagree:wink:

And I'll take 5-1 every week ta:wink:

i want 5-0 on wednesday :greengrin

hfc rd
23-01-2010, 11:58 PM
:top marks. He gave it his all out there.

majorhibs
24-01-2010, 12:04 AM
Thats an interesting analogy...just to continue it...from what I remember of 94/95 when we lost Hamilton we quickly brought in Pat McGinlay from Celtic and he slotted in at the same place. McGinlay was better in most ways (and scored much more) BUT we lost something when Hammy went and our shape that season seemed to be lost. Would swapping Rankin out for someone 'better' have the same result?

Thought I'd throw that in...Sorry its a bit random!

Random is how Rankin plays... not a lot of thought but plenty endevour, however he doesnt even CHALLENGE for balls in the air, usually just runs beside whoever is on the ball instead of challenging, treats the ba' like a hot tattie and gets rid of it soonest, imo not often constructively, doesnt much show for 2nd balls even if he's just laid it to someone right next to him, basically the guy doesnt do what a half decent SPL midfielder should do, put it this way most of the people who dont like him dont question what he does, the question is do we want Hibs to move up a level, which is from usually 6th or 5th, to finishing 3rd at least and qualifying for Europe, and imo a player like Rankin does not belong in Europe or a at least 3rd finishing SPL team. We need better than he offers imo. And anyone, also imo, who wishes "Hammy" back, needs their heed looking at!

Saorsa
24-01-2010, 12:47 AM

Long may it continue :thumbsup:Not the worst player I've ever seen in a Hibs jersey but never better than average on a good day, if we are tae progress we must do much better than Rankin. Cannae fault the lad for effort ever but simply no good enough IMO

hibsbollah
24-01-2010, 08:36 AM

Totally disagree. In the midst of a great team performance he was 2nd best in every 50/50 he went in for. Hate to criticise after a result like that but the reasons for the win were the other 10 players IMO.

HFC 0-7
24-01-2010, 09:24 AM
I think it was just the usual from Rankin today. Bags of effort and running, but looks out of position, rushed a lot of passes and doesnt know who to pick up. Yogi was constantly shouting at him through the game on where to position, who to mark etc. He maybe looked a little better out there because of the tired legs of a hamilton team.

greenlex
24-01-2010, 09:47 AM
Every team needs a player like John. The guy who runs all day closes players down and doesn't hide when in gets a bit tough out there. Some folks seem to think he can't pass but I lost count yesterday how many passes he made. His shooting could be better but I bet there won't be many out there that will be working as hard to rectify that. He often makes himself a yard with his first touch and is very commited. I don't really know what folks want. Rankin or someo e just like him for me is essential to any team.

Disc O'Dave
24-01-2010, 10:09 AM
I do think it's in part due to people turning up, already having decided he's the weak link, so only "seeing" the mistakes he made.

I also seen a good few passes being completed, Hamilton moves being broken up, and not forgetting the disallowed goal, which looked like a good finish in off the far post. Not sure at what point he heard the whistle though, so it could well have been that the pressure was off before he hit it.

TornadoHibby
24-01-2010, 10:43 AM
Agree completely.

Unfortunately though, Rankin is now in the "we've made up our mind about him and rather than change our minds, we'll go out of our way to portray him as rubbish" category we are so good at creating.

You can see it at the game when three or four players in a row make errors without comment, but then when a poor pass from, say, Miller or Riordan goes too far in front of him to reach, there's howls of derision and "******s sake Rankin!" from wee pockets of fans here and there.

If he were to save children from a burning orphanage, you can bet the first thread on here would be "Rankin touches hot kids" (® Russel Howard)

:top marks

Rankin had, at worst, a decent game today and played his part in a good win for us against a team that has, in the past, cost us dear in terms of points and confidence levels! :agree:

However, for some on here that's still not "hibs class" or otherwise "good enough" for them! :confused:

TornadoHibby
24-01-2010, 10:44 AM
Totally disagree. In the midst of a great team performance he was 2nd best in every 50/50 he went in for. Hate to criticise after a result like that but the reasons for the win were the other 10 players IMO.

Suggest you watch the game again if you can and wear your specs or pay attention this time! :cool2:

Pedantic_Hibee
24-01-2010, 10:49 AM
Every team needs a player like John. The guy who runs all day closes players down and doesn't hide when in gets a bit tough out there. Some folks seem to think he can't pass but I lost count yesterday how many passes he made. His shooting could be better but I bet there won't be many out there that will be working as hard to rectify that. He often makes himself a yard with his first touch and is very commited. I don't really know what folks want. Rankin or someo e just like him for me is essential to any team.

That's what McBride does, IMO.

With McBride and Miller as a duo in the middle, Hibs could afford for the 3rd midfielder (using yesterday's system) to be someone who's box-to-box but who has that little extra quality that's required.

Bit late now, but I think we should have went for Nigel Quashie (he just signed for someone else last week). Always rated him as a footballer, he's box-to-box with a good bit of composure and has a decent dig on him. Wouldnae have him in the team calendar though, he's got a face like a bulldog chewing a wasp through a tennis racket.

Dashing Bob S
24-01-2010, 10:53 AM
I don't think that he's generically 'not Hibs class', because we know, in reality, that's a highly movable feast. He's certainly not, as a first team pick, with reference to the current vintage. The problem is that Rankin's best position is as a central attacking midfielder. This is the position Miller plays, and he'll never be as good as Miller, as BM would say, end of.

He's recently been deputising for McBride, and he isn't as good as McBride. So in our current line-up he's a squad player. A good one, and a fine athlete, but a squad player nonetheless. He gives a hundred percent, and is therefore, I feel, more worthy of thanks for his efforts than for constant criticisms for his shortcomings.

Big Frank
24-01-2010, 11:05 AM
I don't think that he's generically 'not Hibs class', because we know, in reality, that's a highly movable feast. He's certainly not, as a first team pick, with reference to the current vintage. The problem is that Rankin's best position is as a central attacking midfielder. This is the position Miller plays, and he'll never be as good as Miller, as BM would say, end of.

He's recently been deputising for McBride, and he isn't as good as McBride. So in our current line-up he's a squad player. A good one, and a fine athlete, but a squad player nonetheless. He gives a hundred percent, and is therefore, I feel, more worthy of thanks for his efforts than for constant criticisms for his shortcomings.

Couldn't agree more. Excellent post.:agree:

jdships
24-01-2010, 11:08 AM

Wow !
29 posts before we get a commonsense comment re this thread !
:thumbsup::agree:

Anyone else share my thought that without Zemmama slowing things down / holding the ball too long allied with McBride's industry the midfield was able to "express " itself as we all know they can ?
Looked a much better balanced side as well

hibsbollah
24-01-2010, 11:10 AM
Suggest you watch the game again if you can and wear your specs or pay attention this time! :cool2:

Oh dear. No need for the snide comment just because i have a different opinion from you.

500miles
24-01-2010, 11:26 AM
There are times where he tries to take the entire game upon his shoulders, and that's where the criticism stems from. He wants to be at everything, but he's not good enough for that. If he's a left winger for the day, just play the left wing, if he's a defensive midfielder, just keep it simple like McBride, if he's attacking midfield, have faith in the other players behind you, and so on.

I don't agree that he doesn't win his 50/50's, I think he comes out on top most times. However, it the balls that he isn't favorite ti win that impress me, and its all about attitude. Football is so much about mentality, and Rankin has that in abundance. The problem is that these balls are taken as 50/50's by those observing, and so he gets criticised harshly for faltering when he is at a real disadvantage.

wanderer11
24-01-2010, 11:39 AM
There are times where he tries to take the entire game upon his shoulders, and that's where the criticism stems from. He wants to be at everything, but he's not good enough for that. If he's a left winger for the day, just play the left wing, if he's a defensive midfielder, just keep it simple like McBride, if he's attacking midfield, have faith in the other players behind you, and so on.

I don't agree that he doesn't win his 50/50's, I think he comes out on top most times. However, it the balls that he isn't favorite ti win that impress me, and its all about attitude. Football is so much about mentality, and Rankin has that in abundance. The problem is that these balls are taken as 50/50's by those observing, and so he gets criticised harshly for faltering when he is at a real disadvantage.

i have to toally agree! john has always been very much like that.i think its just a desire to give 100% every week.yes he has misplaced passes but maybe its the amount of times he shows for the ball. People are using him as a scapegoat to be honest.Trust in yogi's judgement to pick the team

rightwinger
24-01-2010, 03:10 PM
I've never read so much prejudiced and myopic nonsense in all my life.

'Rankin can't pass...Rankin's garbage...we'll never get anywhere with him in the team...he only looked ok cos McBride and Miller were back etc etc'

There's a lot of people on this thread watching different games. What's the point of going to watch the game when your mind's already made up!?

In the game I watched yesterday Rankin played in Stokes for goal number two, won the free-kick for goal number 4 and had a decent all-round game. By no means a great player, he works hard and generally keeps things simple. His endeavour compensates for the lack of endeavour of some other players - just as their creativity, skill and physique compensates for his shortcomings. It's a team game for Riordan - the laziest player I've ever seen - and McBride (who hasn't scored or created a goal since he's been here) but Rankin's got to do it all to win the fans over. Riordan and McBride are both key players for us - but I don't run on here to slag them off for the above reasons. I'd rather focus on what they bring to the team.

His fitness level is very good and he's played a key part in our season so far. With McBride back, he can now do a bit more going forward (as he did yesterday) and the midfield definitely looks more balanced. But Rankin's playing his part in there along with the others.

There's always players we don't particularly rate in one way or another. I'm not a great fan of Hogg or Nish and I think Riordan's an unfit, lazy so and so. But when Hogg and Nish do well I'll give them credit - likewise when Riordan shows his class. I get the impression that Rankin could score one and lay on the other in a win over Celtic, smash one in the top corner against Rangers, and play regularly in a strong push for third place and he'd still be garbage in the eyes of the enlightened few.

Really, some folk on here should be ashamed of themselves. We're having our most consistent, drama-free season in years and all you can do is get on the back of arguably the most diligent and disciplined professional we have at the club. Small-minded. Never happy. Further credit to Rankin for the mature way he's handling it.

woody47
24-01-2010, 03:16 PM
The only thing positive about Rankin is that he gives 100%.

A pity he just isn't good enough. Don't know how many times he passed straight to either a Hamilton player or played a suicide ball to one of his team mates. His shooting is abysmal and I for one really do not know ahy he keeps his place.

blackpoolhibs
24-01-2010, 03:21 PM
He is the type of player we needed to stabilize us when he came. Now we need better to kick on and challenge for Europe every year. He will never be a first choice if we have those ambitions, and we need better if we have injuries to maintain that standard.

rightwinger
24-01-2010, 03:32 PM
The only thing positive about Rankin is that he gives 100%.

A pity he just isn't good enough. Don't know how many times he passed straight to either a Hamilton player or played a suicide ball to one of his team mates. His shooting is abysmal and I for one really do not know ahy he keeps his place.

I think he keeps his place because of his fitness and workrate. I know a lot of folk on here don't want to hear about the 'unseen work' stuff which can be overstated at times.

He had two shots yesterday - one was a dismal chip and the other went in but was disallowed. The previous week he nearly scored from a long-range free-kick that was well-saved.

Off the top of my head, his starts this season have been:

-St Mirren - W -
-Falkirk - W -
-Celtic - L
-Hamilton - L
-St John - W
-Hearts - D
-Falkirk - W
-Motherwell - W
-Kilmarnock - D
-Aberdeen - W
-Rangers - L
-Hearts - D
-Dundee Utd - L
-Hamilton - W

Certainly, he didn't feature in the 1-1 draws with Rangers and DU in which we played really well. His record overall though clearly shows that results DO NOT suffer when he is in the team.

So, either he's a total waste of space who's been carried all season by the team (which is what a few on here are saying). Or he's a hard-working pro who's doing his bit in a (so far) successful season (which is what the rest of us are saying). I know who's right and John Hughes appears to agree with us. It's a shame that because there is nothing worse than seeing a player you really don't like in the team every week!:greengrin

wanderer11
24-01-2010, 05:59 PM
I think he keeps his place because of his fitness and workrate. I know a lot of folk on here don't want to hear about the 'unseen work' stuff which can be overstated at times.

He had two shots yesterday - one was a dismal chip and the other went in but was disallowed. The previous week he nearly scored from a long-range free-kick that was well-saved.

Off the top of my head, his starts this season have been:

-St Mirren - W -
-Falkirk - W -
-Celtic - L
-Hamilton - L
-St John - W
-Hearts - D
-Falkirk - W
-Motherwell - W
-Kilmarnock - D
-Aberdeen - W
-Rangers - L
-Hearts - D
-Dundee Utd - L
-Hamilton - W

Certainly, he didn't feature in the 1-1 draws with Rangers and DU in which we played really well. His record overall though clearly shows that results DO NOT suffer when he is in the team.

So, either he's a total waste of space who's been carried all season by the team (which is what a few on here are saying). Or he's a hard-working pro who's doing his bit in a (so far) successful season (which is what the rest of us are saying). I know who's right and John Hughes appears to agree with us. It's a shame that because there is nothing worse than seeing a player you really don't like in the team every week!:greengrin

mate i tend to agree with you 100%. Its always the same old people rankin does this rankin does that.... What never fails me is that everyweek theres 3 players that seem to get abuse no matter what win lose draw or even games been postponed. hogg,nish,rankin. Whats really bad about it is yogi loikes these players so stop wasting ur keys on ur computer and put it all to bed.hogg,nish and rankin are all part of the plans.

Cameron1875
24-01-2010, 06:37 PM
Wanderer11
hogg,nish and rankin are all part of the plans.

:boo hoo:suppose we will just have to accept it yogi. Your doing a great job anyway. :cool2:

CB_NO3
24-01-2010, 07:27 PM

I think you are dilusional, he had a very good game, I think you will just say he is rubbish every week even if he does have a good game.

MyJo
24-01-2010, 09:45 PM
I think you are dilusional, he had a very good game, I think you will just say he is rubbish every week even if he does have a good game.

:confused: Err no i wont. I'm generally a positive poster....or happy clapper if you will....and very very rarely do i actually criticise players or have ridiculous kneejerk reactions to a defeat like many on here but there are some players I just end up losing patience with after I have given them the benefit of the doubt for a long time. Malkowski, O'Brien and Van Zanten are the only other ones who have fallen into that category with me and while Rankin can't be faulted for the amount of running he does he is a bottom 6 plodder if ever I've seen one and playing alongside guys like McBride, Miller, Zemmama, Stokes and Riordan have shown him up for the average player that he is.

If Rankin has a good game or scores a decent goal i will, of course, give him any credit he is due (after i have made sure im not sleeping :wink:) but i'm afraid that my opinion is that he is simply inadequate for our team and the level Yogi wants us to be at.

hibsbollah
24-01-2010, 10:15 PM
:confused: Err no i wont. I'm generally a positive poster....or happy clapper if you will....and very very rarely do i actually criticise players or have ridiculous kneejerk reactions to a defeat like many on here but there are some players I just end up losing patience with after I have given them the benefit of the doubt for a long time. Malkowski, O'Brien and Van Zanten are the only other ones who have fallen into that category with me and while Rankin can't be faulted for the amount of running he does he is a bottom 6 plodder if ever I've seen one and playing alongside guys like McBride, Miller, Zemmama, Stokes and Riordan have shown him up for the average player that he is.

If Rankin has a good game or scores a decent goal i will, of course, give him any credit he is due (after i have made sure im not sleeping :wink:) but i'm afraid that my opinion is that he is simply inadequate for our team and the level Yogi wants us to be at.

Thats my opinion also:agree:

Capt Mainwaring
24-01-2010, 10:23 PM

Harsh but fair ( although I did think he has a reasonable game yesreday)

RIP
25-01-2010, 10:44 AM
John's influence on the Hibs squad goes far beyond his football skills.

A good manager appreciates these qualities

Fussy fans don't

HFC 0-7
25-01-2010, 10:59 AM
John's influence on the Hibs squad goes far beyond his football skills.

A good manager appreciates these qualities

Fussy fans don't

In your opinion of course!

blackpoolhibs
25-01-2010, 04:31 PM
If there was a poll on who would be the first player you'd like replaced with a better player, Rankin would be near the top, if not top. And remember Yogi says we are not far off what he's thinking. :wink:

HFC 0-7
25-01-2010, 04:59 PM
mate i tend to agree with you 100%. Its always the same old people rankin does this rankin does that.... What never fails me is that everyweek theres 3 players that seem to get abuse no matter what win lose draw or even games been postponed. hogg,nish,rankin. Whats really bad about it is yogi loikes these players so stop wasting ur keys on ur computer and put it all to bed.hogg,nish and rankin are all part of the plans.

Yes he likes these players better than what he has on the bench. What some fans want is for us to become better. In order to become better we need better players and that means replacing existing ones by weeding out the weakest. Just because Yogi plays them, doesnt mean that he likes them! Judging by the amount of shouting Yogi does towards rankin during the game regarding his positioning and passing I would suggest that either Yogi sees potential or is playing him because there is no one better.

Ranking does a job for hibs, he is busy and gets in players faces, but if Hibs want to improve then we need more than this. One thing that Rankin has that a lot of the team could do with is his fitness and stamina. He must be one of, if not the most, fit player in the Hibs squad.

Back to the OP, I dont think Rankin did anything more than he does in every other game, its just he had better players around him this week.

Hibs90
25-01-2010, 06:45 PM

Spot on.

Rankin's gash. Time to go and replace with Arfield. :agree:

brydekirk
25-01-2010, 07:19 PM
Spot on.

Rankin's gash. Time to go and replace with Arfield. :agree:

:agree: no too worried about missing out on barr but would like to see Arfield at hibs.:thumbsup:

GreenPJ
25-01-2010, 11:52 PM
Having just watched the highlights Rankin involved in the build up to 3 of the 5 goals, maybe not just 100% effort then.