PDA

View Full Version : Performances Today

Dashing Bob S
23-01-2010, 05:54 PM
Thought the return of McBride made all the difference. He's the team's real leader, never out of position, shouts and organises, (funny when he physically pushed Rankin back into position.)

Smith - 7 - looks a very good keeper, made some great first half saves from a a half that could have been a lot closer than 3-0 but for his fine stops. Can't take a goal kick to save himself though.

Wotherspoon - 7 - not a full back, but sticking to it and learning the job. Looks great going forward, can't wait till he nails that berth. Plays like a veteran rather than a rookie.

Murray - 7 - Typical reliable performance.

Hogg - 7 - One of his best games for a while, looks far better with McBride sitting in front of the defence and protecting it.

Hanlon -6 - Good to see him getting a chance at CH. Did little wrong and showed it's his best position and i'd like to see him get an extended run there as he'll improve once he gets used to playing alongside Hogg.

McBride -8- Great to see him back. Organises, finds a jersey, covers and links well with Miller. The big difference today.

Rankin - 6 - Actually one of his better games, due to playing further forward and being talked through the game by McBride. Saw his hapless side when Miller and McBride were taken off and the white flag was raised in midfield.

Miller - 9- My MOM. Looks to have a big load of his shoulders with McBride back in the middle. He's a far more effective player with his spiritual brother in the midfield.

Nish - 1-10 - As enigmatic as ever. Great first goal, made the second and showed some nice touches. Flirts effortlessly between genius and village idiot and is impossible to categorise as a player, a bit like trying to play a hand of poker in a black hole in outer space.

Stokes - 9 - Great display and could have had more. Relished being able to link up with Miller, which was due to LM being set free by McBride.

Riordan - 8 - Two goals, could have had more, and he's probably still not back to top form yet. The most exciting thing to come out of Pilton since that young lady who performed a physically manipulative act on me back in '83.

Subs

Benji - 4 - Love him, but sense his days are numbered her and he's marking time. Doesn't seem an integral part of things.

Cregg - 5 - Looked worse than he probably was because the whole team just fell apart in midfield when KMcB and LM left with Parkhead in mind.

Galbraith - 5 - Never had much of the ball, but showed pace and crossing ability, laying on for DR what should have been a hat-rick. Many feel he's worth more playing time and I would agree.

Mikeystewart
23-01-2010, 06:02 PM
Thought the return of McBride made all the difference. He's the team's real leader, never out of position, shouts and organises, (funny when he physically pushed Rankin back into position.)

Smith - 7 - looks a very good keeper, made some great first half saves from a a half that could have been a lot closer than 3-0 but for his fine stops. Can't take a goal kick to save himself though.

Wotherspoon - 7 - not a full back, but sticking to it and learning the job. Looks great going forward, can't wait till he nails that berth. Plays like a veteran rather than a rookie.

Hogg - 7 - One of his best games for a while, looks far better with McBride sitting in front of the defence and protecting it.

Hanlon -6 - Good to see him getting a chance at CH. Did little wrong and showed it's his best position and i'd like to see him get an extended run there as he'll improve once he gets used to playing alongside Hogg.

McBride -8- Great to see him back. Organises, finds a jersey, covers and links well with Miller. The big difference today.

Rankin - 6 - Actually one of his better games, due to playing further forward and being talked through the game by McBride. Saw his hapless side when Miller and McBride were taken off and the white flag was raised in midfield.

Miller - 9- My MOM. Looks to have a big load of his shoulders with McBride back in the middle. He's a far more effective player with his spiritual brother in the midfield.

Nish - 1-10 - As enigmatic as ever. Great first goal, made the second and showed some nice touched. Flirts effortlessly between genius and village idiot and and is impossible to categorise as a player, a bit like trying to play a hand of poker in a black hole in outer space.

Stokes - 9 - Great display and could have had more. Relished being able to link up with Miller, which was due to LM being set free by McBride.

Riordan - 8 - Two goals, could have had more, and he's probably still not back to top form yet. The most exciting thing to come out of Pilton since that young lady who performed a physically manipulative act on me back in '83.

Subs

Benji - 4 - Love him, but sense his days are numbered her and he's marking time. Doesn't seem an integral part of things.

Cregg - 5 - Looked worse than he probably was because the whole team just fell apart in midfield when KMcB and LM left with Parkhead in mind.

Galbraith - 5 - Never had much of the ball, but showed pace and crossing ability, laying on for DR what should have been a hat-rick. Many feel he's worth more playing time and I would agree.

Agree with most of that, love that summing up of Nish perfect.:top marks

ancient hibee
23-01-2010, 06:05 PM
First time for ages we've played with any rhythm-no coincidence that McBride was back.

hibee_girl
23-01-2010, 06:07 PM
Smith 8 - some superb saves, his kicking can look a bit suspect at times though

Wotherspoon 8 - great game, if only Deek hadn't touched the ball Wotherspoon would probably have had a goal to his name today too
Hogg 8 - Solid
Hanlon 8 - Much prefer him in centre than the left
Murray 8 - Solid as we've come to expect from him

Rankin 8 - Thought he had a great game
Miller 10 - MOM, nothing else needs to be said
McBride 9 - Great to have him back

Deek 9 - Two great goals and great perfomance from him, worked hard to win the ball back at times too
Stokes 9 - Was everywhere, took his goals well
Nish 8 - Good game from him, was good to see him encouraging Stokes and telling him to pick up his man at a throw in

johnrebus
23-01-2010, 06:09 PM
[QUOTE=Dashing Bob S;2319140]Thought the return of McBride made all the difference. He's the team's real leader, never out of position, shouts and organises, (funny when he physically pushed Rankin back into position.)

/QUOTE]

This guy is already in with a shout of player of the year IMHO, yet was scarcely on anyones radar for the five or six years he has been around - not to mention being severely dissed by many a Bairn when he left Westfield to join up at ER.

Yogi has certainly pulled off a diamond from coal trick here.

:top marks

Two Halves
23-01-2010, 06:10 PM
Thought Miller was outstanding today. Helped by the fact McBride was back and also played very well.

Deek and Stokes were also excellent.

Smith made a couple of very important saves today.

Have to also say that I thought Hanlon was great at CH and handled MAC very comfortably for most of the 90 minutes.

Bit of praise for the East Stand too for the rendition of 10 men couldny carry Nade! did enjoy that! :top marks

Wotherspiniesta
23-01-2010, 06:16 PM
Smith-7

Wotherspoon- 8
Hogg- 7
Hanlon- 6
Murray- 7

McBride- 7
Rankin- 6
Miller- 9

Riordan- 7
Stokes- 8
Nish- 7

Benji- 4
Cregg- 3
Galbraith- 4

bubblesmorrison
23-01-2010, 06:19 PM
Benji - 4 :confused:

he is mince and would rather see someone younger who wants to play for hibs come in to take his place he made it clear at the start of the season he did not want to be at hibs so let him go the sooner the better. first person ever to score 0 on pro-zpne twice i think.

Wotherspiniesta
23-01-2010, 06:22 PM
Benji - 4 :confused:

he is mince and would rather see someone younger who wants to play for hibs come in to take his place he made it clear at the start of the season he did not want to be at hibs so let him go the sooner the better. first person ever to score 0 on pro-zpne twice i think.

Harsh. Benji, I thought, showed a few good touches. Considering he was played RM when he came on, I thought he did ok.

bubblesmorrison
23-01-2010, 06:24 PM
a good touch once or twice in 20 mins compared to losing the ball 6or7 times

Wotherspiniesta
23-01-2010, 06:27 PM
a good touch once or twice in 20 mins compared to losing the ball 6or7 times

Did he even touch the ball 6 or 7 times? :confused:

I remember him giving the ball away once when he tried to let a pass run beyond the defender.

Broken Gnome
23-01-2010, 06:29 PM
Hanlon was great, worth the wait for his CH debut.

They all deserve a lot of credit for two things - they started terribly, but quickly got themselves into the game when the past few weeks would have suggested lengthy problems ahead. Secondly, they actually killed a game off early in the second half. If teams knew that if Hibs went into half time ahead we'd come out looking to go out of sight early on then it would win us a lot of points.

Specidal praise for Wotherspoon - the boy's already a star. Cheers Celtic.

Hibs Spain
23-01-2010, 06:41 PM

Nish - 1-10 - As enigmatic as ever. Great first goal, made the second and showed some nice touched. Flirts effortlessly between genius and village idiot and and is impossible to categorise as a player, a bit like trying to play a hand of poker in a black hole in outer space.

Subs

Galbraith - 5 - Never had much of the ball, but showed pace and crossing ability, laying on for DR what should have been a hat-rick. Many feel he's worth more playing time and I would agree.:faf: I've been trying to think of a way of describing Nish for ever. That's perfect :greengrin

Andy74
23-01-2010, 06:55 PM
Mcbride is top class, allowed everyone else to do their jobs. I wasn't looking foward to hanlon at centre half but he done well.

Judas Iscariot
23-01-2010, 06:55 PM
Thought Hanlon was excellent and deserves special mention for his performance and not giving Curier a sniff!

Hogg was ok but for me Hanlon was the better of the CH's..

Barney McGrew
23-01-2010, 06:57 PM
Thought Hanlon was excellent and deserves special mention for his performance and not giving Curier a sniff!

It's amazing what happens when we play a centre half at centre half instead of left back :cool2:

hibee
23-01-2010, 06:58 PM
First time for ages we've played with any rhythm-no coincidence that McBride was back.

It's also no coincidence that Zemmama was out, not having to carry a player who won't tackle AND having McBride back made a huge difference.

lucky
23-01-2010, 06:59 PM
Smith 8 - excellent stops but some daft kick outs.

Wotherspoon 8 - very good today. He looks like being the best to come through for a very long time
Hogg 8 - Solid
Hanlon 8 - looks like he knew what he was doing
Murray 8 - typical IM performance

Rankin 7 best I have seen him
Miller 8 excellent performance. He is real class
McBride 9 - He makes Hibs play by covering for everyone

Deek 8 2 great goals. worked really hard
Stokes 8 also 2 great goals and worked very hard. looks fitter
Nish--7 good goal and performance

Galbraith 4 1 decent cross but never seen the ball
Gregg 4 worked hard but is a squad player
Benji 3 wage thief who does not try

Judas Iscariot
23-01-2010, 07:02 PM
It's amazing what happens when we play a centre half at centre half instead of left back :cool2:

:agree:

Been sayin that for weeks now..

Jonnyboy
23-01-2010, 08:15 PM
Harsh. Benji, I thought, showed a few good touches. Considering he was played RM when he came on, I thought he did ok.

I'm sorry buddy but I think you're letting your heart rule your head here. One of the priorities Yogi should have whilst the window is open is to shift Benji out. He's a shadow of the player he was and I don't see it improving sadly.

NORTHERNHIBBY
23-01-2010, 08:28 PM
I know that we have been linked with shed loads of players to come in during the window or close season but based on that performance today anyone coming in would either be one for the future or squad cover. Players available that would be significantly better than we saw today, would surely be out of our price range both to buy and pay. That we have a player like Liam Miller at ER is surely all down to the pull of our manager and when we have had quality like that before it has either been a player on the up that we will soon lose, or a player on the down having an indian summer.

fife hfc
23-01-2010, 08:55 PM
It's also no coincidence that Zemmama was out, not having to carry a player who won't tackle AND having McBride back made a huge difference.

I feel that with Zemmama and deek in the side over the last few weeks doesn't work but with mcbride back we could get away with it (as we did earlier on). We never replaced Mcbride when he was out and that was the problem and only highlighted how weak deek and Zouma are defensively.

As for today miller was MOM. Great performance as they worked hard and moved off the ball and got the rewards for the hard work (something they have not been doing recently).

Smith 8 solid and a couple a great saves.
Wotherspoon 9 Excellent today and deserved a goal for efforts.
Murray 8 usual Murray performance. says it all.
Hogg 8 felt he played well today and even used the ball well
hanlon 8 Excellent game and good battle against Courier
Mcbride 9 His return sees a better performance. Coincedence? Think not
Miller 10 Brilliant
rankin 8 played well and even used ball better than recently
nish 8 great goal and could have got more. Linked well
stokes 9 two good finishes and works hard
riordan 8 good goals and worked hard. still think hes better in the middle

Benji 3 never really involved but felt he suffered due to midfield being over run with decision to play four upfront.
Galbraith 4 Two crosses almost brought more goals
Cregg 3 over run with decision to play four up front after 5th goal

Hibernating (Im a stoopid yam tramp)
23-01-2010, 08:59 PM
We shouldn't get too carried away, Hamilton were a team that had played midweek at Castle Greyskull for 120 mins lest we forget.

If the form carries on to Darkheid we can start talking bigger.

James.
23-01-2010, 09:02 PM

The abuse Benji was getting from some in East today was embarassing. Thought he was doing ok when he came on but obviously some fans need that one player to have a go at regardless how the team are playing. Thought once again that Stokes was man of the match; he was different class today with his movement, touch and finishing. You could see he really wanted that hat trick today especially when that thug pulled him down as he looked to race clear near the end.

sahib
23-01-2010, 09:05 PM
We shouldn't get too carried away, Hamilton were a team that had played midweek at Castle Greyskull for 120 mins lest we forget.

If the form carries on to Darkheid we can start talking bigger.

Very true, but we can still enjoy a good win for a few hours I would have thought.

Newhaven
23-01-2010, 09:09 PM
The abuse Benji was getting from some in East today was embarassing. Thought he was doing ok when he came on but obviously some fans need that one player to have a go at regardless how the team are playing. Thought once again that Stokes was man of the match; he was different class today with his movement, touch and finishing. You could see he really wanted that hat trick today especially when that thug pulled him down as he looked to race clear near the end.

Of course fans are going to get on his back when he is clearly not interested in playing for the club. Contributed nothing when the accies were on the ropes ready to conceed more...As soon as the whistle was blown he's running up the tunnel without even a clap to the fans.

He's not kicked a ball since March 2007 - needs punted ASAP so we dont keep paying him money for nothing

Keith_M
23-01-2010, 09:34 PM
Sadly I have to agree about Benji. His time at hibs has surely been and gone.

When he came on today, he looked as if he was happy doing just enough to get through what was left of the game. It's a shame, really, when we know what he's capable of when he tries.

PISTOL1875
23-01-2010, 09:44 PM
Every rating has Hanlon as outstanding but he was caught out 3 or 4 times by trying to get infront of MAC and trying win the ball.. MAC rolled him a few times which could've been dangerous... If he isn't able to win the first ball , he will need to learn to let the forward win the first ball and tackle him from there...

Love the Green
23-01-2010, 09:47 PM
Over the piece this was a decent performance ...with some very good play and moves however at times eben before the subs came on we were pretty poor with passes going astray and Hamilton having a lot of possession...Cant believe nobody would take the ball from hogg and start the moves..this should be the midfields job but so often it was left to Hogg who had 1 of his better games...can't belive we used 3 subs and yet Thocott who had agood 2nd half last week cant even get on ..he could have played in midfield with cregg and rankin which might have saved us being overun for the last 15 mins......benji has had enough chances play guys who might actually have some feeling for the club and have a work ethic..

"keep the faith" :wink:

Franck is God
23-01-2010, 09:49 PM

Today we actually had a midfield on the pitch capable of running a game, McBride is simply everywhere,always available for a pass and moving it on, Rankin works so hard closing down and tackling and Miller was allowed to show all the class he has.

Nish played just off Stokes and showed exactly what we've missed in the last few games, his hold up and linking play today was superb and just gave Deek and Stokes all the time and space to do what they do best, put the ball in the back of the net. Pleased he got his goal too, well deserved.

I think we have two luxury players in our squad, Deek and Zemmama. Work rate isn't exactly their number one quality and for what it's worth I think if Deek had been injured and Zemmama was playing today instead of him I think would have been just as impressive a performance, who knows it might have been better?

hibbie02
23-01-2010, 09:52 PM
Just watched the extended highlights on HI and all I can say is WOW. What a difference a week makes. Some of the moves were sublime and the finishing was superb. Oh we took the foot off the gas after the 5th goal, but that is a huge improvement. :thumbsup:

NAE NOOKIE
23-01-2010, 11:24 PM
Smith ............. 7
Wotherspoon ... 7
Hogg .............. 8
Hanlon ............ 7
Murray............. 7
McBride ...........9
Miller ...............9
Rankin ............ 7
Deeks ............. 8
Stokes ............9
Nish ............... 7

Benji ......... 3
Cregg ........ 3
Galbraith .....4

Have to take into account Hamiltons game in midweek which must go some way to account for why a team who were on good form going into the match were given such a doing.

However, it was a bit worrying that we allowed a tired team who were 5 - 0 down to dominate the midfield in the last 15 - 20 minutes ?

I know that we had taken our foot off the gas a bit by then, but that should have been the time when the players showed how they can keep the ball and close out a game, it is no surprise that McBride and Miller were off the field for most of that period.

Still a great effort though, lets hope we can take something from Darkheid on the back of this.

hfc rd
24-01-2010, 12:05 AM
I would give all of them :top marks. A sensational peformace.

hibsbollah
24-01-2010, 08:43 AM
Smith 8 The shirt is his, totally commanding.

Wotherspoon 8
Hanlon 9 Excellent throughout
Hogg 9 Back on form, faultless. My MOM.
Murray 7

McBride 8
Miller 8
Rankin 6

Stokes 8
Nish 8 Flirts effortlessly between genius and village idiot :top marks
Riordan 8

ancient hibee
24-01-2010, 12:50 PM
Today we actually had a midfield on the pitch capable of running a game, McBride is simply everywhere,always available for a pass and moving it on, Rankin works so hard closing down and tackling and Miller was allowed to show all the class he has.

Nish played just off Stokes and showed exactly what we've missed in the last few games, his hold up and linking play today was superb and just gave Deek and Stokes all the time and space to do what they do best, put the ball in the back of the net. Pleased he got his goal too, well deserved.

I think we have two luxury players in our squad, Deek and Zemmama. Work rate isn't exactly their number one quality and for what it's worth I think if Deek had been injured and Zemmama was playing today instead of him I think would have been just as impressive a performance, who knows it might have been better?
How can you say Riordan is a luxury player when he is second highest goalscorer and wins games for us-that's not luxury it's necessity.Frankly Zemmama can't lace his boots.

Capt Mainwaring
24-01-2010, 03:22 PM
I know that we have been linked with shed loads of players to come in during the window or close season but based on that performance today anyone coming in would either be one for the future or squad cover. Players available that would be significantly better than we saw today, would surely be out of our price range both to buy and pay. That we have a player like Liam Miller at ER is surely all down to the pull of our manager and when we have had quality like that before it has either been a player on the up that we will soon lose, or a player on the down having an indian summer.

I would still like to see a Right Back coming in. That would allow Wotherspoon to play right midfield. Would give us width and better balance than Zemmama playing there from the start and allow him to be used as an impact payer.

Playing with Riordan and Zemmama in the starting XI hasn't worked in the majority of games this season.

fife hfc
24-01-2010, 03:31 PM
People on here are saying hamilton players would have been tired and thats the reason for our win:grr:. They are professional ****ing sportsman and should be more than capable of handling a midweek extra time game then a game on Saturday. Also if they were so tired why did they still have the energy and mental strength to keep on going when 5 down.

We beat them because we put in more effort and commitment than in previous games and took our chances when they came along. If Hamilton are so good why are they so close to the bottom. Yesterday we finally clicked as well as we knew we could and finally got the goals to go along with some very good play (remember we could easily have done the same to Utd at ER earlier in the season but failed to convert unlike yesterday). Don't play down what was an excellent result yesterday for the cabbage.

GGTTH