PDA

View Full Version : At last - a proper goalie

EasterRoad4Ever
23-01-2010, 05:52 PM
Full marks to Smith today. Had quite a lot of do, a few tricky crosses, couple of brilliant saves and all round competent performance, which in terms of Hibs goalies of recent years is a HUGE relief and improvement.

Well done GS and, very welcome to ER :thumbsup:

David_D
23-01-2010, 05:52 PM
:agree::agree::agree:

NadeAteMyLunch!
23-01-2010, 05:53 PM
settled in very well :agree: fingers crossed it continues.

Littlest Hobo
23-01-2010, 05:55 PM
:aok:

AugustaHibs
23-01-2010, 05:58 PM
First half save from curier flick :top marks outstanding save for any keeper.

Mikeystewart
23-01-2010, 05:59 PM
Full marks to Smith today. Had quite a lot of do, a few tricky crosses, couple of brilliant saves and all round competent performance, which in terms of Hibs goalies of recent years is a HUGE relief and improvement.

Well done GS and, very welcome to ER :thumbsup:

Thought he was magnificent a couple of badly judged kicks out to Murray but over all 9/10

euro Hibby
23-01-2010, 06:05 PM
one flap first 15 minutes which led to the ball needing to be kisked off the line. After that excellent !

CropleyWasGod
23-01-2010, 06:11 PM
First half save from curier flick :top marks outstanding save for any keeper.

Maka would have held on to it.

:devil:

AugustaHibs
23-01-2010, 06:18 PM
Maka would have held on to it.

:devil:

maka could have caught that with his eyes shut :wink:

blackpoolhibs
23-01-2010, 06:29 PM
Until i have seen the severed arm, i will reserve my judgement.

Hibs Spain
23-01-2010, 06:36 PM

Well done GS and, very welcome to ER :thumbsup:An average goalie.And had an average game.A decent save in the first half but every other save was run of the mill.
A bad fumble nearly cost a goal.Needed a goal line clearance.
Totally misjudged a cross causing the ball to run along the top of the bar.
A couple of poor decisions with distribution putting Murray under pressure.
One clearance under no pressure went for a shy about 30 yds out.
Stood on the ball and almost tripped over it when receiving a pass back.
One goal kick was a complete duff. 1st bounce was about 25 yds out.
Was beaten by a weak shot at his near post!!
Imagine if it had been 0-0 at the time??
These aren't unusual things for a goalie to be party to during a game of football.... Unless you're Maka. :greengrin

Barney McGrew
23-01-2010, 06:38 PM
An average goalie.And had an average game.A decent save in the first half but every other save was run of the mill.

:troll:

Golden Bear
23-01-2010, 06:38 PM
An outstanding performance from our star goalkeeper today.

How pleasing it is that's it's no longer necessary to bring a couple of toilet rolls and my bycycle clips.

Sergey
23-01-2010, 06:41 PM
http://www.hibs.net/message/picture.php?albumid=20&pictureid=139

Andy74
23-01-2010, 06:42 PM
An average goalie.And had an average game.A decent save in the first half but every other save was run of the mill.
These aren't unusual things for a goalie to be party to during a game of football.... Unless you're Maka. :greengrin

Why don't you apply any of these standards to maka? Is it because you are an idiot??

weststandhibby
23-01-2010, 06:44 PM

Are you serious?????
Confidence through the team today and it all started from the back. Outstanding saves gave us the platform to build on. Sorry but if that had been Maka we would have been 2 down ..with a fear factor everytime the ball went near him....

HibbyAndy
23-01-2010, 06:45 PM
Why don't you apply any of these standards to maka? Is it because you are an idiot??

Guys a shight stirrin bawbag Andy, just on to create mischief IMO.

Bishop Hibee
23-01-2010, 06:45 PM

You make spewisthecolour seem like a reasonable poster. Admin, please send him back to Kaunas.

Golden Bear
23-01-2010, 06:46 PM

Didnae - just didnae. As usual the guy's at the wind up.

Best ignored methinks.

lucky
23-01-2010, 06:48 PM
GS played very well today. Some good stops and he does not panic.

RickyS
23-01-2010, 06:48 PM

what the friggin hell does that make Maka? as for the above....well im not biting. Smith kept us in the game with 4 or 5 excellent saves. he will do for me.

Hibs Spain
23-01-2010, 06:50 PM
Why don't you apply any of these standards to maka? Is it because you are an idiot??I do.I'm simply pointing out that if Maka had been responsible for the things I have pointed out and we had won 5-1 people would have been going on about what nightmare he was,jumping on every tiny iffy move.Are you an idiot?

lEXO
23-01-2010, 06:51 PM
:boo hoo:

RickyS
23-01-2010, 06:58 PM
I do.I'm simply pointing out that if Maka had been responsible for the things I have pointed out and we had won 5-1 people would have been going on about what nightmare he was,jumping on every tiny iffy move.Are you an idiot?

I don't agree TBH, if Maka had made 5 great saves that kept us in the game, most on here would congratulate him and urge him to do it more often.
He rarely got stick that was not justified.

euro Hibby
23-01-2010, 06:59 PM
and still they jump at the bait !! very amusing.......

ronaldo7
23-01-2010, 07:01 PM
It's good to know that we have a good goalie in between the sticks these days.

WELL DONE BUZZ. Great game today

the_ginger_hibee
23-01-2010, 07:03 PM
Well done GS. But the thread is a bit harsh on Stack who I thought played great until the injury.

Malthibby
23-01-2010, 07:05 PM
Smith was excellent today, without being entirely blemish free, but the whole defence looked solid & (fairly) confident. I have always been a bit of a Maka apologist, but I'm afraid that I think the guys in defence are more comfortable with someone else behind them.
GG

scoopyboy
23-01-2010, 07:10 PM
I do.I'm simply pointing out that if Maka had been responsible for the things I have pointed out and we had won 5-1 people would have been going on about what nightmare he was,jumping on every tiny iffy move.Are you an idiot?

Where do you think Maka will be playing next season?

(((Fergus)))
23-01-2010, 07:14 PM
Haven't seen the game yet but Steve Cowan was slating him on the BBC commentary for failing to deal with high balls although he did later acknowledge some great saves.

TornadoHibby
23-01-2010, 07:16 PM

Just a tad harsh if I may say HS even if some of your points have substance! :wink:

Although.....I did say to my son when Smith passed a short ball to Hogg (I think) on the front right of the box with a Hamilton player close enough to intercept potentially that "had Maka done that people would have been screaming for blood"! :agree:

Seriously, I thought Smith had a good game today and played his part in the victory! :cool2:

scotcha
23-01-2010, 07:21 PM
this boy is giving me a lot of confidence with the keeper situation.

Today there was some outstanding saves and the best part i liked today is when he clattered his own players and the hamilton players punching the ball away.

He done this a couple of times against hearts and wasn't as affective as he was today, so to see him to this and clear players and ball.... very good.

Hibs7
23-01-2010, 07:22 PM

You couldn't tell a goal keeper if he punched you in the face ... you are a clown if you cannot see what Smith brings to the Hibs defence go drown in a sangria amiGO ENPHASIS ON THE GO.

whiskyhibby

:dummytit::dummytit::dummytit::dummytit::dummytit:

Aldo
For me a good keeper is someone who can do the Basics, positioning, shotstopping etc and then out of the blue produces something special.

Smith and Stack both fall into this category however Maka doesnt. I know he is young but sorry he needs to get back to basics.

A keeper is in a no win situation IMHO praised for doing well and one mistake (and yes it is usually costly) then slaughtered.

whiskyhibby
23-01-2010, 07:24 PM

:jamboid::jamboid:

EasterRoad4Ever
23-01-2010, 07:26 PM

By all means dissect his performance and focus on the negative, however, as with Stack you have the FEELING that the defence has FAITH in Smith and can TRUST him to do MOST things well and PREDICTABLY. After Maka, Zibbi, McNeil and all the other clowns we've had between the sticks I'll take an "average" goalie like Smith every day of the week. We can maybe relax a bit and concentrate on what the outfield players are doing rather than worrying about who the hell is going to cover for our flappy goalie (eg Jones). A rather boring goalie at Hibs who does the expected (most of the time) is good enough for me and a vast improvement on the past :thumbsup:

GreenOnions
23-01-2010, 07:39 PM
As we now have Stack, Smith, Maka and Flynn I was wondering, in light of our reported interest in Mark Brown, what length of contracts Smith and Stack have signed. Does anyone know?

Big_S
23-01-2010, 07:39 PM

I asked Hibs Spain what he thought of Smith during the game, and his answer was a bit less coherent.
He did a funny clappy dance thing and said "Makka Pakka akka wakka mikka makka moo. Makka Pakka appa yakka ikka akka ooo. Hum dum agga pang ing ang ooo. Makka Pakka akka wakka mikka makka moo."

Jonnyboy
23-01-2010, 08:08 PM
I asked Hibs Spain what he thought of Smith during the game, and his answer was a bit less coherent.
He did a funny clappy dance thing and said "Makka Pakka akka wakka mikka makka moo. Makka Pakka appa yakka ikka akka ooo. Hum dum agga pang ing ang ooo. Makka Pakka akka wakka mikka makka moo."

Easy for him to say :wink:

BT58
23-01-2010, 08:09 PM
we have finally found a GOALIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
he shouts at his team[sqeakily,no problems there], he saves gordon banks style:notworthy:
the defence now have someone they can trust[no slating stack,btw]
now if JH can now bring in a RB+ a CH, we might, just might do sumthing this year
but hey ho,supporting hibs is like a ROLLER COASTER:thumbsup::thumbsup:
HB

Newhaven
23-01-2010, 08:10 PM
Great game by Smith. Comfortable with the ball - good handling and crucial saves when needed.

After the mediocrity we've had to put up with Maka, McNeill and the crown jester Gordon Marshall as goalie coach we can look forward to better competition with Stack, Smith and coach Thomson at the club..

blackpoolhibs
23-01-2010, 08:11 PM

So basically he was mimicking Maka.

Sudds_1
23-01-2010, 08:15 PM
An outstanding performance from our star goalkeeper today.

How pleasing it is that's it's no longer necessary to bring a couple of toilet rolls and my bycycle clips.

Couldn't agree more......

......see since I stopped eating the curry pies at H/T?:wink::greengrin

AFKA5814_Hibs
23-01-2010, 09:56 PM
Smith had a great game today. Along with Stack we now have two very reliable goalkeepers at the club.:thumbsup:

PISTOL1875
23-01-2010, 10:03 PM
we have finally found a GOALIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
he shouts at his team[sqeakily,no problems there], he saves gordon banks style:notworthy:
the defence now have someone they can trust[no slating stack,btw]
now if JH can now bring in a RB+ a CH, we might, just might do sumthing this year
but hey ho,supporting hibs is like a ROLLER COASTER:thumbsup::thumbsup:
HB

His shouting today at his defenders was great.. Getting them sorted out early so they knew where to go and where the danger could come from.. Well Done Graeme Smith... He will be hard to remove from the No.1 spot in this form...

col02
23-01-2010, 10:06 PM
How long till someone criticises Smith for not catching the ball in the crowded box rather than him punching it a good distance out of harms way? I think we could be good for Smith and him for Hibs. Be good once and for all to put the goalkeeping problem to bed for a few seasons.

blackpoolhibs
23-01-2010, 10:07 PM
Its just good that we now have threads about how well our keeper has done, rather than how he was at fault for another stupid goal conceded. :top marks

PISTOL1875
23-01-2010, 10:09 PM
Its just good that we now have threads about how well our keeper has done, rather than how he was at fault for another stupid goal conceded. :top marks

I hope we never have a thread like that for a while...

Pretty Boy
23-01-2010, 10:12 PM

:faf::faf::faf::faf::faf: Seriously you are brilliant.

Sergey
23-01-2010, 10:17 PM
:faf::faf::faf::faf::faf: Seriously you were brilliant.

Fixed the tense for you :wink:

Going.....Going.....

Sir David Gray
23-01-2010, 10:18 PM
It's great, at long last, not to have the opposition fans taking the mickey out of our goalkeepers.

IberianHibernian
23-01-2010, 10:21 PM
Thought Smith was probably our MOM today - some good saves at vital points of game just before we scored our early goals for example . Stack`s looked good in games I`ve seen though he has never had to make as many saves as Smith had to today ( something forgotten by many praising today`s team performance ? ) and must have question marks about fitness . I`ve always been a fan of Maka ( has deserved criticism at times but never seems to get praise when he plays well - when he plays well I feel he`s a bit special - Cech and Casillas have made some howlers in big games but are considered to be among best in the world - I`ve a feeling Maka could go onto be a great goalie and would love it to be at least at first with us ) . Anyway , great to have 3 good goalies ( or more ? haven`t seen young goalies who could presumably gain from match experience elsewhere ) .

matty_f
23-01-2010, 10:23 PM

:agree:

The Voice Of Reason
23-01-2010, 10:51 PM
Gentlemen - cannae believe how many of you have taken the bait and responded to the clown who is Hibs Spain.

Ignore, Ignore, Ignore, Ignore, Ignore Ignore, Ignore, Ignore, Ignore, Ignore

IGNORE

Do I make myself clear ? :thumbsup:

NAE NOOKIE
23-01-2010, 10:56 PM
Smith's save from the flick by the Hamilton forward in the first half looked world class from where I was, fantastic reflexes.

Apart from that he looks a decent solid keeper as does Stack.

Its a shame for Maka coz it does look like a decent keeper is in there to be brought out, but if Hibs are intrested in Brown, then there is no way that we will carry 5 keepers on the books so someone will go and the way things are it could be Maka.

I'm_cabbaged
23-01-2010, 11:23 PM
Fixed the tense for you :wink:

Going.....Going.....

Is that no a bit harsh?

If he wants to make an erse of himself why no let him, but he's entitled to his own opinion is he no?

Sergey
23-01-2010, 11:27 PM
Is that no a bit harsh?

If he wants to make an erse of himself why no let him, but he's entitled to his own opinion is he no?

He's a previously banned user. After investigation, not once, but twice.

Sir David Gray
23-01-2010, 11:28 PM
Smith's save from the flick by the Hamilton forward in the first half looked world class from where I was, fantastic reflexes.

Apart from that he looks a decent solid keeper as does Stack.

Its a shame for Maka coz it does look like a decent keeper is in there to be brought out, but if Hibs are intrested in Brown, then there is no way that we will carry 5 keepers on the books so someone will go and the way things are it could be Maka.

Makalambay will probably be away in the summer as I believe he's out of contract then anyway.

If he does leave then, it will mean that all of John Collins' signings have left the club after only three years. I think that tells you everything about the standard of player that he brought in. :bitchy:

I also think Flynn will go out on loan if we get three senior keepers.

I'm_cabbaged
23-01-2010, 11:29 PM
He's a previously banned user. After investigation, not once, but twice.

Fair do's, wasnae the cooler king was he?

Pretty Boy
23-01-2010, 11:30 PM
Is that no a bit harsh?

I think part of the problem is that he wasn't just backing Maka, he was constantly slating our other keepers for little or no reason.

I'm sure if you look back through his post history you will see how many negative threads he has started or posts he has made about our goalkeepers. Every one of them got it in the neck from him constantly.

Good decision by the admins IMO, especially if he has already been binned before.

Sergey
23-01-2010, 11:36 PM
I'm going to close the thread, purely for the fact that we'll end up having a public autopsy over a troll.

If anyone wants to discuss our goalkeeping position, feel free to start a new thread.

This thread will be lost into cyberspace in no time!

Apologies to the OP.