PDA

View Full Version : how does Jonesy feel now?

monktonharp
22-01-2010, 11:22 PM
just looked at my framed picture of Mr Jones from the "storming to glory" at Hampden, 18/3/07 . almost 3 years now,but forever in the memory of Hibs fans and i'm sure he must feel proud of it too. If he had stayed until now,i'm sure we would have been winning 3 or 4 games more,which have cost us our challenge this season and also our loss against the Sainties for a good chance of being in another final! dont know exactly how Scunny are doing,but they must be hovering in the relagation zone. thoughts?

3pm
22-01-2010, 11:28 PM
Increased wages are good.

Always say that very few have enjoyed their football as much since they left Hibs. Money is the main driver but never underestimate the enjoyment of their time at ER.

iwasthere1972
22-01-2010, 11:39 PM
just looked at my framed picture of Mr Jones from the "storming to glory" at Hampden, 18/3/07 . almost 3 years now,but forever in the memory of Hibs fans and i'm sure he must feel proud of it too. If he had stayed until now,i'm sure we would have been winning 3 or 4 games more,which have cost us our challenge this season and also our loss against the Sainties for a good chance of being in another final! dont know exactly how Scunny are doing,but they must be hovering in the relagation zone. thoughts?

Think I can safely say that when Rob Jones is sitting down with his grandchildren in 30/40 years time he will tell them of the day he was the proud captain of the great Hibernian FC and how he lifted the cup. Sunshine on Leith will also get a mention. His one and only medal will make him think of Jim Bowen's famous catchphrase "Let's see what you could have won had you not gone to Scunthorpe".

Thanks for the memories Jonesey. :agree:

iwasthere1972
22-01-2010, 11:58 PM

5 points above the relegation places.

Fans thinking he is a lanky gimp.

Fans who think he's worth £3.50 and not the £350K. Well done Mr Petrie. :agree:

Unfortunately things have not gone as well as he may have expected.

No longer Hibs class - Playing for Scunnie has made sure of that. :devil:

RickyS
23-01-2010, 12:20 AM

good title for a new thread might be, I SHOULDNAE HAVE LEFT HIBS BY.........
sure there will be a few who went elsewhere and made a few quid but here's a few off the top of ma heid

Katie - could have lifted the cup
Killen - 20 goals a season to reserve games at Cliftonhill
Deek - thank god he saw sense
Willie Miller - first to walk after relegation
Darren Dods - 2nd to walk
Stuart McAffrey - went to the sheep with Miller
Wee Russell - out of his control I suppose

must be loads more

monktonharp
23-01-2010, 12:40 AM
sure there will be a few who went elsewhere and made a few quid but here's a few off the top of ma heid

must be loads moresome guid yins there btw:greengrin Russell is the one that aye gets ma goat though,if he'd behaved,we could have got that bloody cup !:grr:

basehibby
23-01-2010, 01:38 AM

People move on and I'm sure Jonesy looks back on his day out at Hamden with great pride - struggling with Scunthorpe in the lower reaches of the CHampionship may seem by a bit dull by comparisson to you, but I'm sure with fulfilling his stated ambition of playing at that level along with a healthy pay packet Jones will be feeling just fine.
Meanwhile back at ER we (hopefully still) have Bamba who has ably filled Rob's shoes as well as bringing something different to the table.

CmoantheHibs
23-01-2010, 06:12 AM
Did he not want to go back down south for family reasons?If that is the case then maybe him and his family are happier now though not from a footballing perspective

DC_Hibs
23-01-2010, 07:22 AM
Yip the poor guy must be gutted. Playing in a quality league on decent money and living where his family are happy........ and could soon be marking Tevez

http://sport.scotsman.com/sport/Rob-Jones-charged-with-shackling.6008092.jp

Hamilton instead Rob??

IWasThere2016
23-01-2010, 07:25 AM
Increased wages are good.

Always say that very few have enjoyed their football as much since they left Hibs. Money is the main driver but never underestimate the enjoyment of their time at ER.

:agree: Jones was good for us - and vice versa

hibsbollah
23-01-2010, 07:30 AM
Its sometimes forgotten that Jones didnt get an easy time from a section of Hibs fans before his excellent final season. Add to that the (alleged) broken promises about his wages and his stated desire to move back down South, I'd guess he's probably still glad he left.

EVENTUALLY
23-01-2010, 07:44 AM
Without a doubt the CIS man of that season.

A winning goal against the yams in the quarters.

A colossus performance against the Saints at Tynie when he held the defence together in a very nervy 2nd Half.

A crucial opening goal in the final.

We were very lucky to have him in our side during that campaign as his contribution was immense.

Franck is God
23-01-2010, 08:04 AM
Jones had an excellent first season with us, fairly dominant straight forward centre half, scored a good number of goals including the first in a final.

He was though a very limited footballer and our defence has improved since he's left, I moaned all last season that Bamba was being wasted in midfield and wanted him to replace Jones at the back and thankfully a decent manager arrived and did just that.

He helped win us a cup and we made a profit on him when he left and for that I am thankful but realistically he has not been missed and our goals conceded column is proof of that.

Jack
23-01-2010, 09:04 AM
He helped win us a cup and we made a profit on him when he left and for that I am thankful but realistically he has not been missed and our goals conceded column is proof of that.

I agree.
Last season it was all about firefighting and crisis management and I think Rob instilled that in games rather than the more cultured football we're trying to play now.

Toaods
23-01-2010, 09:27 AM
dont know exactly how Scunny are doing,but they must be hovering in the relagation zone. thoughts?

it's all about tasks- Scunny are doing pretty well all things considered.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_1/table/default.stm (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_1/table/default.stm)

everyone thought they'd be a Gretna but nope points on the board and a sign of survival is often how capable you are of scoring as this wins games so 13 away from home is as far as I can see 5th worst - they'll gladly take that on the final day.

With the huge TV retainer deals for England's top two tiers, I'd surmise if they can survive the relegation cut the critics will have wasted their breath/typing and the players will pocket a very healthy wedge.

PeeJay
23-01-2010, 10:12 AM
I personally enjoyed Jones being at ER, he was good for the team and I wish him all the best down south - particularly today against Man City in the cup - hope he has that little Man U reject in his pocket!! :thumbsup:

iwasthere1972
23-01-2010, 10:16 AM
Yip the poor guy must be gutted. Playing in a quality league on decent money and living where his family are happy........ and could soon be marking Tevez

http://sport.scotsman.com/sport/Rob-Jones-charged-with-shackling.6008092.jp

Hamilton instead Rob??

I would be the first to thank Rob Jones for his contribution at Hibs and particularly for his goal against Killie but you're having a laugh if you think he could mark Tevez. By all accounts on the Scunnie messageboard Jonesey couldn't mark an exam paper even if he had the answers in front of him. Not even sure if Man City will need or risk Tevez today.

As for playing in a quality league, Scunthorpe are only 5 points off the relegation places and although perhaps only a slim possibility could be playing in league 1 next season.

Finally what's wrong with Hamilton? :greengrin

bobbyhibs1983
23-01-2010, 10:19 AM
Did he not want to go back down south for family reasons?If that is the case then maybe him and his family are happier now though not from a footballing perspective

agree 100% was said around the message boards/papers that he did want that.I loved having jones at hibs and if he went down south for family reasons RATHER than money then fair enough, we got some money for him ,he makes a move down south for fmaily reasons. everyones happy.

And to be fair i ve not seen jones in papers saying anything bad about hibs

Pretty Boy
23-01-2010, 10:50 AM

must be loads more

I'm pretty sure his league, Scottish Cup and CIS cup medals make up for the one he missed with us. As well as his UEFA cup run with Rangers and his Scotland cap.

He's still a fud though.

Expecting Rain
23-01-2010, 11:14 AM
Its sometimes forgotten that Jones didnt get an easy time from a section of Hibs fans before his excellent final season. Add to that the (alleged) broken promises about his wages and his stated desire to move back down South, I'd guess he's probably still glad he left.

:agree:

500miles
23-01-2010, 11:18 AM
I doubt Jones would fit into this system all that well. Bamba, Hogg and Murray all play a high line, whereas Jones was at his best playing deep.

Exactly what we needed when we needed it though. Probably one of the best Hibs CH's of the last 20 years in that respect.

Cocaine&Caviar
23-01-2010, 11:29 AM
If he had stayed until now,i'm sure we would have been winning 3 or 4 games more,which have cost us our challenge this season and also our loss against the Sainties for a good chance of being in another final! dont know exactly how Scunny are doing,but they must be hovering in the relagation zone. thoughts?

I disagree, Bamba and Hogg have been rocks when played together this season, its only been when Bamba went off to the ACN and Stack and McBride got injured that Hogg, and our backline overall looked weak.

If we were to still have Jones, he would have to be in the first XI every week due to his reputation, wage and leadership. This may be a positive as it would allow Bamba into midfield where he did so well last year, but this would have seen us not utilising the McBride/Miller partnership which has done so well for us this season. Also, due to Jones' lack of pace, his place in the team forces us to play a far deeper line time and time again, hense why we were reduced to long balls so often under Mixu.

Overall, I have very fond memories of his time here, but for me the move was suited for both parties.

DC_Hibs
24-01-2010, 03:19 PM
but you're having a laugh if you think he could mark Tevez.

Put down the crack pipe fun boy - it was a reference to what he MAY be doing today and not how well

blackpoolhibs
24-01-2010, 03:29 PM
Pretty good i think.:greengrin

steviehfc
24-01-2010, 03:38 PM
just looked at my framed picture of Mr Jones from the "storming to glory" at Hampden, 18/3/07 . almost 3 years now,but forever in the memory of Hibs fans and i'm sure he must feel proud of it too. If he had stayed until now,i'm sure we would have been winning 3 or 4 games more,which have cost us our challenge this season and also our loss against the Sainties for a good chance of being in another final! dont know exactly how Scunny are doing,but they must be hovering in the relagation zone. thoughts?I would imagine he's feeling pretty good right about now. :greengrin

blackpoolhibs
24-01-2010, 03:46 PM
I would imagine he's feeling pretty good right about now. :greengrin

Not so good now though.:wink: