PDA

View Full Version : Yantorno fancies comin hame

RickyS
22-01-2010, 11:17 PM
apparently done a full pre-season, and says his knee is 100%. speaks highly of us and I think he could do a job for someone at SPL level?

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/2820600/Yantorno-yearning-for-home.html

Diclonius
22-01-2010, 11:29 PM
He could still do a job for us. Mixu never gave him a chance.

3pm
22-01-2010, 11:33 PM
Right place, wrong time.

RickyS
22-01-2010, 11:53 PM
He could still do a job for us. Mixu never gave him a chance.

Tend to agree mate, always had a niggle in my mind that there had to be more to it than met the eye and that his fitness was never quite there.

hibeeleicester
22-01-2010, 11:58 PM
:agree: Bring him back.

Hainan Hibs
23-01-2010, 12:04 AM
Bring back Yantorno.

Cameron1875
23-01-2010, 12:10 AM
Right place, wrong time.

:agree:. Wouldnt take him back though. Need to be trying to go for better quality than him as he is not at the level of zemmama imo.

Monts
23-01-2010, 01:12 AM
Am I the only one that thinks he isn't all that? I've always thought he looked good in a poor Gretna team, and was nothing special. People seem to think that he never got a fair chance, but I think he just didn't have enough in his locker to do anything at ER. I wish him all the luck but I don't think he's good enough for the hibs first 11.

WindyMiller
23-01-2010, 01:27 AM
Am I the only one that thinks he isn't all that? I've always thought he looked good in a poor Gretna team, and was nothing special. People seem to think that he never got a fair chance, but I think he just didn't have enough in his locker to do anything at ER. I wish him all the luck but I don't think he's good enough for the hibs first 11.

I watched him a few times in the Reserves, he didn't really stand out.
Whether that was down to the injury or not , I don't know.

basehibby
23-01-2010, 01:27 AM
apparently done a full pre-season, and says his knee is 100%. speaks highly of us and I think he could do a job for someone at SPL level?

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/2820600/Yantorno-yearning-for-home.html (http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/2820600/Yantorno-yearning-for-home.html)

He needs to go somewhere where he'd be a first pick - not Hibs IMO. Good luck to him the guy anyway :thumbsup:

hibiedude
23-01-2010, 05:18 AM
I would have Yantorno back in a heartbeat.

As most would agree Mixup never gave this guy a chance on the park

Peevemor
23-01-2010, 06:53 AM
Caption under the photo -

things started to go wrong after he joined Hibs

I suppose everything was still hunky dory after he tore his cruciate ligament and his club went down the tubes?

marinello59
23-01-2010, 07:01 AM
Best of luck to him , hope he gets a club
Not Hibs though. I can't remember any campaign to get him to Hibs whilst he was at Gretna and didn't see anything in the few short appearances he made for us to suggest that he was better than what we presently have. Mixu did well giving the guy facilities to recover and had plenty of time to assess how effective he could be. Perhaps he called this one correctly?

DC_Hibs
23-01-2010, 07:18 AM
Mediocre player that for some reason is rated by (by fans only) based on a performance or two for GRETNA. Fair enough he has since been injured but he played limited number of games in Uruguay so ended up in Serie C or D in Italy before Gretna.

Some people would have him and Rocastle as our central midfield pairing!!

Jim44
23-01-2010, 08:19 AM
Waste of time even thinking about him. Great picture of him tho'. He looks like he's making off with somebody's hand. :greengrin

.Sean.
23-01-2010, 08:24 AM
He never got a chance, I think he could've done a job for us given a run in the team.

Cabbage East
23-01-2010, 08:26 AM
Copied to stop people clicking that rags link.

FABIAN YANTORNO used one treasured piece of YouTube footage to keep him going as his career threatened to fall apart.

The little Uruguayan has replayed the moment, again and again, when he beat Artur Buroc with a spectacular free kick that put Gretna on the brink of a stunning SPL upset against Celtic.

Yantorno used the live TV match at Fir Park on a sunny Sunday in October 2007 to demonstrate just what a good footballer he can be.

His own wretched luck was mirrored by Gretna's that day, as a famous victory was undone by two goals in the last three minutes from Chris Killen and Scott McDonald.

Just two months later, Yantorno tore his cruciate ligament. Then, in March 2008, Gretna went bust and the South American was thrown out of his club flat on crutches!

He thought he had finally found salvation at Hibs when boss Mixu Paatelainen gave him a deal but he was released from Easter Road last summer. The final straw came when he joined Chester and days later they went into administration over a £7million debt.

Yantorno said: "That goal against Celtic was probably the best of my career. What made it special at the time was that my family back in Uruguay could see it live. Now it means more to me.

"I watched it again and again, especially when I was out injured. In the last six months when I had no club, I needed to keep going to YouTube and look at it to help me mentally and keep believing I can do that again for another team."

The gifted playmaker had to go home to Montevideo and live on his savings until he could get back in the game. One of Uruguay's top clubs, Wanderers FC, want him to be part of their title push this season but he's for settling down.

He added: "I saw on CNN recently the snow had been bad in Britain. I love the weather in Uruguay but for football, Scotland is in a different league.

Advertisement

"There is very little money in the game here. Football in Uruguay is poorer than when I left it in 2007 to go to Gretna.

"Clubs here don't have all the things that clubs in Scotland take for granted, like practice balls, good kit or good training grounds.

"The training ground Hibs have would be the best in South America. It has been great spending the last six months at home and catching up with my family but I need to play abroad for my career."

Yantorno used to send half his wages at Gretna back home to his mum and dad in Montevideo.

Now the Uruguayan star is hoping a Scottish club gives him a chance to prove that his wounded knee is a thing of the past.

He said: "I know how people talk in football and I heard some clubs in Scotland think I am finished and that my knee is no good. I have done pre-season training in Uruguay without a problem.

"Not playing for the last six months probably helped. An agent asked me to come to Wanderers and things went well there. They want me to sign a year's contract but I am waiting for a move somewhere else, so I've said 'no' but I can play as a non-contract player.

"I loved my time at Hibs. They gave me great facilities for my rehabilitation. I'd an apartment with my girlfriend, which was next to Easter Road, but had to leave that when I was released last summer.

"At least this time, I was not on crutches. That was how I was when I got put out of my flat in Carlisle, when Gretna finished.

"When I came to Scotland, I could not speak a word of English but I learned. I also learned how to be a Scottish player because you have to work hard when you don't have the ball. I still think I can be an asset to a club there."

Hibbyradge
23-01-2010, 09:10 AM
I'd prefer we signed someone a bit smaller, with less presence on the field.

Hibernating (Im a stoopid yam tramp)
23-01-2010, 09:46 AM
if he's 100% bring him back. The guy had talent.

ancient hibee
23-01-2010, 09:50 AM
A very ordinary player who will never be properly fit again.

Hibbyradge
23-01-2010, 10:07 AM

When?

NORTHERNHIBBY
23-01-2010, 10:43 AM

Not enough talent so that Chester City, tail Charlies in the Blue Square league of nowhere, rated him? If we ever had a Hibs " good on paper not so good on grass X1" i might have him in that team, along with Clayfeet Donaldson and AOB.:bitchy:

Broken Gnome
23-01-2010, 10:46 AM
I recall being one of the ones who was frustrated at Mixu's refusal to involve him week after week. In hindsight, given Yantorno had something of a reputation for being skilful and creative, the fact Hibs' performamnces were very much the opposite put him of something of a false pedestal. Think we were just crying out for anything that would make Saturday afternoons a bit more bearable.