PDA

View Full Version : Galbraith and Natural Width

Tollhouse Hibee
22-01-2010, 08:12 AM
Folks

Point for discussion, and one which anyone in the west upper may have been on the receiving end of a discussion on in recent weeks.

I feel that for some time now we have struggled with lack of width, and lack of crossing balls into the box.

Zouma cuts inside and loses the ball far too often for me. Deeks has no pace to play out wide.

We need someone on each side that can beat a man and hang a nice ball into the box for the fwds to attack. I think we need Galbraith on left and Spoons on the right.

Debate pls.

PS i think Nish needs to be the target man in the 6 yd box or a similar big striker with Deek and/or Stokes playing off the bigger striker.

ancient hibee
22-01-2010, 09:08 AM
Nish is no target man and is much better with the ball on the deck in front of him.Lots of people seem to rate Galbraith which is surprising as he has hardly been seen at top level.

matty_f
22-01-2010, 09:14 AM
Nish is no target man and is much better with the ball on the deck in front of him.Lots of people seem to rate Galbraith which is surprising as he has hardly been seen at top level.

:agree: I've been quite impressed with Galbraith when he's come on, however it's far to early to say how ready he is for a regular starting place.

I would like to see him playing on the left hand side, with Deek and Stokes playing as a front two. The thing is, Galbraith is still young enough to play at 19s, IIRC, so it's asking a lot of the boy to come in and be the answer to our problems already.

ancient hibee
22-01-2010, 09:17 AM
I may be wrong(I often am)but I think I've only seen him twice.Once a nice cross for Benji the other he came on and ran around like a headless chicken.I presume he's not showing much in training.

bobbyhibs1983
22-01-2010, 09:18 AM
I agree and have being saying this for ages and ages.I think we miss somone like ivan or dare i say it o'brien(sp),someone who can run with the ball down the wing and as as you say cross a ball.

Is this something yogi is looking for though? is he looking for somethign else?
Imo the hardest thing in football to play agaisnt is somone who is super fast and can cross and or score and dribble a ball

johnrebus
22-01-2010, 09:20 AM
I may be wrong(I often am)but I think I've only seen him twice.Once a nice cross for Benji the other he came on and ran around like a headless chicken.I presume he's not showing much in training.

I seem to remember a player with the initials I.S. who was often described as a ' headless chicken ' , but is remembered fondly by most and greatly missed in these parts...........,

:rolleyes:

ancient hibee
22-01-2010, 09:24 AM
I seem to remember a player with the initials I.S. who was often described as a ' headless chicken ' , but is remembered fondly by most and greatly missed in these parts...........,

:rolleyes:
He was more of a bantam cock.

Tollhouse Hibee
22-01-2010, 09:43 AM

But Nish does have some height and physical presence. Maybe we need a mixu type guy up front with one of the lightweight options.

Tollhouse Hibee
22-01-2010, 09:51 AM
Oh and by the way i think wotherspoon has some pace and can do some damage playing in midfield, and at 19 also has the ability to beat his man

johnrebus
22-01-2010, 09:56 AM
He was more of a bantam cock.

Er........,

I never said I knew Ivan personally...........,

:greengrin

Andy74
22-01-2010, 09:58 AM
Galbraith seems to be the new Yantorno - a player the fans think in their heads will deliver far more than the reality.

Give the boy a chance to develop, he is younger than the likes of Byrne even, the youngest in the first team squad. He looked good in pre season but didn't overly impress me in his other outings. If hughes thought he was performing better than we had out there he'd be in.

Plenty time for him so let's not start causing trouble on this one!

We've already had people who seem to know him saying he is confused and frustrated. Bollox to that, we don't need that starting with young players. He is a young guy with players in front of him and he needs to show in training and in matches that he is ready and good enough, if he does Hughes will play him, I've no doubt about that.

Tollhouse Hibee
22-01-2010, 10:14 AM
Galbraith seems to be the new Yantorno - a player the fans think in their heads will deliver far more than the reality.

Give the boy a chance to develop, he is younger than the likes of Byrne even, the youngest in the first team squad. He looked good in pre season but didn't overly impress me in his other outings. If hughes thought he was performing better than we had out there he'd be in.

We've already had people who seem to know him saying he is confused and frustrated. Bollox to that, we don't need that starting with young players. He is a young guy with players in front of him and he needs to show in training and in matches that he is ready and good enough, if he does Hughes will play him, I've no doubt about that.

i think a little bit is that it is probably a fact that we have nobody else really who can fill the wide left role to great effect within the squad. And we really need to start winning the midfield battle.

Andy74
22-01-2010, 10:19 AM
i think a little bit is that it is probably a fact that we have nobody else really who can fill the wide left role to great effect within the squad. And we really need to start winning the midfield battle.

Riordan has been filling it to the effect that he got a Scotland recall.

Maybe a natural left winger would offer a bit more but is Galbraith realy going to see us start winning the midfield battle. Seems a stretch to me.

Viva_Palmeiras
22-01-2010, 10:40 AM
Is Galbraith a confidence player?

I dunno but if he is then maybe Yogi is bracing him for the high expectation and perhaps leading to frustration/abuse that accompanies a player with such a profile.

Cue "but he's a pro FFS" comments...

Tollhouse Hibee
22-01-2010, 10:55 AM
Riordan has been filling it to the effect that he got a Scotland recall.

Maybe a natural left winger would offer a bit more but is Galbraith realy going to see us start winning the midfield battle. Seems a stretch to me.

But apart from a goal against Irvine Meadow what has Riordan done in recent weeks?

Dashing Bob S
22-01-2010, 10:59 AM
I never knew Galbraith was naturally wide. He always seemed a nice, self-effacing young chap.

Andy74
22-01-2010, 11:04 AM
But apart from a goal against Irvine Meadow what has Riordan done in recent weeks?

Okay, so if Galbraith still hasn't got ahead of him then why not? Suggests to me he's not actually better at this stage or he'd be in.

500miles
22-01-2010, 02:41 PM
It's asking a lot for such a young player with his past injury problems to become a permanant fixture six months into his career.

Hopefully he kicks on sooner rather than later, but if he's any good, Yogi will give him a chance.

Brooster
22-01-2010, 04:19 PM
It's asking a lot for such a young player with his past injury problems to become a permanant fixture six months into his career.

Hopefully he kicks on sooner rather than later, but if he's any good, Yogi will give him a chance.

He may be getting a chance sooner than you think :wink:

blackpoolhibs
22-01-2010, 04:31 PM
I'm not convinced he's that good, hopefully he will prove me wrong.

ancient hibee
22-01-2010, 05:26 PM
Maybe Bob Malcolm could do a job wide left.

Hibernating (Im a stoopid yam tramp)
22-01-2010, 05:34 PM
I think Byrne might have more of a case to get a game, and leave Deek where he is. Nish is honking and Benji hasn't done it.

CapitalHibs
22-01-2010, 05:45 PM
He may be getting a chance sooner than you think :wink:

So Yogi's been reading HibsNet again:wink:

hfc rd
22-01-2010, 08:24 PM
I would have Gailbraith on the left. But lets not forget that the young lad has been injured for almost 2 years, when he was a youngster with Man Utd. I think Yogi is taking it easy with him.

Sean1875
22-01-2010, 09:00 PM

but how long before he gets fed up and seeks first team football elsewhere?

heidtheba
22-01-2010, 10:07 PM

Apologies because this question has been posted (just can't find the answer). What length of contract is he on? Is it a long enough one for us to bring him on as a player or is he on a short one where he will be emptied if he doesn't impress asap?

blackpoolhibs
22-01-2010, 11:50 PM
Maybe Bob Malcolm could do a job wide left.

Now you are talking, :top marks i'm sure a player of bobs ability could play anywhere, it wouldnt be his preference, but he'd probably still be a standout wide left. :thumbsup:

KWJ
23-01-2010, 01:32 AM
As somebody pointed out, what's the point in lumping crosses into the box for Stokes, Riordan & Zouma against SPL defenders? You'd have to play Nish (nae thanks) or Benji.

Tollhouse Hibee
23-01-2010, 07:25 AM
look at the number of goals we have scored when we have got the ball out wide, adn its actually quite good, we just dont do it often enough.