PDA

View Full Version : Football years 1979 stv

blueisthecolour
21-01-2010, 09:01 PM
As promised here is the reminder of the programme I posted about last week, I was asked to post when it wasn't about the old firm, so here it is.

Aberdeen and Dundee utd it's about this week im sure.

monktonharp
21-01-2010, 09:14 PM
As promised here is the reminder of the programme I posted about last week, I was asked to post when it wasn't about the old firm, so here it is.

Aberdeen and Dundee utd it's about this week im sure. are they not going to mention the blatent penalty denial,in the Scottish cup that year when the Girvan Lighthouse chopped down a Hibs player with 3 mins. to go . thereby ensuring a replay.?:wink:

HibbyAndy
21-01-2010, 09:15 PM
Im watching it. very good :agree:

blueisthecolour
21-01-2010, 09:21 PM
are they not going to mention the blatent penalty denial,in the Scottish cup that year when the Girvan Lighthouse chopped down a Hibs player with 3 mins. to go . thereby ensuring a replay.?:wink:

Watch and see, I doubt it will get mentioned as it's about the dominance of Aberdeen and Dundee utd:wink:

Viva_Palmeiras
21-01-2010, 09:32 PM
Could a homegrown team today kept together emulate the league title as they did?

Kato
21-01-2010, 09:39 PM
Haven't watched it but I doubt that incident will be shown. Has it ever been shown on TV since it occured?

We were right behind the goal and although everyone shouted for a penalty when it wasn't given no-one looked surprised.

A blatant penalty? More like a total monstering. However in a Scottish Cup Final against cheats like Rangers it just apparently never occured, was ignored at the time and ignored by everyone else since, except Hibs. But we all know that in Scotland the only fans that the authorities placate are those of the Old Firm. Cheating k*nts.

blueisthecolour
21-01-2010, 09:43 PM
Haven't watched it but I doubt that incident will be shown. Has it ever been shown on TV since it occured?

We were right behind the goal and although everyone shouted for a penalty when it wasn't given no-one looked surprised.

A blatant penalty? More like a total monstering. However in a Scottish Cup Final against cheats like Rangers it just apparently never occured, was ignored at the time and ignored by everyone else since, except Hibs. But we all know that in Scotland the only fans that the authorities placate are those of the Old Firm. Cheating k*nts.

can you explain what makes rangers cheats?

Tricla
21-01-2010, 09:45 PM

:worms:

matty_f
21-01-2010, 09:48 PM

Buckfast and jellies.:agree:

PISTOL1875
21-01-2010, 09:49 PM
Buckfast and jellies.:agree:

And corrupt refs....

tony higgins
21-01-2010, 09:49 PM

Eh, could be totally wrong here.

Referees.

blueisthecolour
21-01-2010, 09:51 PM
Eh, could be totally wrong here.

Referees.

Rangers don't employ referees:wink:

matty_f
21-01-2010, 09:51 PM

Try telling that to Jack Reagan.:agree:

PISTOL1875
21-01-2010, 09:52 PM

Bobby Tait ring a bell.. Oh and don't forget Mike McCurry now..

blueisthecolour
21-01-2010, 09:54 PM
Bobby Tait ring a bell.. Oh and don't forget Mike McCurry now..

Again rangers don't employ ref's

Kato
21-01-2010, 09:57 PM

Can you take your bluenosed head out the sand?

PISTOL1875
21-01-2010, 09:58 PM

You talk some Jimmy White.. You cheat your way through the league season after season...

blueisthecolour
21-01-2010, 09:58 PM
Can you take your bluenosed head out the sand?

You made a statement and haven't backed it up.

tony higgins
21-01-2010, 09:59 PM

We,re only jesting with you, brother.

blueisthecolour
21-01-2010, 10:01 PM
You talk some Jimmy White.. You cheat your way through the league season after season...

it's easy to say not as easy to back up.

ronaldo7
21-01-2010, 10:02 PM
We,re only jesting with you, brother.

Shake a handy cock a leggy:greengrin

blueisthecolour
21-01-2010, 10:02 PM
Anyway back to the programme, I take it next week no one want's a reminder it is on?

Kato
21-01-2010, 10:03 PM
You made a statement and haven't backed it up.

Ok man. In that final the Rangers goalie commited an obvious foul knowing he'd get away with it. The Ref knew it was a foul, knew he would never give it and everyone else in the ground knew it was never going to be given.

Since I'm in tarnsit and between train stations that's all your getting. I've no reason to give you any more.

Why don't you and Jack Regan start you're own poll on here as to who are the cheatiest cheats in scottish football. I'm sure everyone on here will find it riveting

PISTOL1875
it's easy to say not as easy to back up.

We will start with Bobby Tait.. I was at a sportsmans do a while back and he was the speaker.. He told us that when Walter Smith was in charge the first time around , he would ask WS how much injury time he wanted depending on what the score was.. Is that not cheating ???

BroxburnHibee
So its the OF fans who stopped us getting a beer at the game eh.................

No really a shock is it

tony higgins
21-01-2010, 10:05 PM

Davie White, ex Rangers manager that ended up at Dundee.

PISTOL1875
21-01-2010, 10:06 PM
Davie White, ex Rangers manager that ended up at Dundee.

What's his story ???

blueisthecolour
21-01-2010, 10:06 PM
Ok man. In that final the Rangers goalie commited an obvious foul knowing he'd get away with it. The Ref knew it was a foul, knew he would never give it and everyone else in the ground knew it was never going to be given.

Since I'm in tarnsit and between train stations that's all your getting. I've no reason to give you any more.

Why don't you and Jack Regan start you're own poll on here as to who are the cheatiest cheats in scottish football. I'm sure everyone on here will find it riveting

That would be up to Jack as he keeps telling us celtic get nothing against rangers, although he agree's they get the decisions when not against rangers, but me im not in to the conspiracy theories, I believe you get decisions for and against you.

BroxburnHibee
21-01-2010, 10:09 PM
That would be up to Jack as he keeps telling us celtic get nothing against rangers, although he agree's they get the decisions when not against rangers, but me im not in to the conspiracy theories, I believe you get decisions for and against you.

What I want to know is why you & Jack never seem to be online at the same time..............

:hmmm: :wink::greengrin

blueisthecolour
We will start with Bobby Tait.. I was at a sportsmans do a while back and he was the speaker.. He told us that when Walter Smith was in charge the first time around , he would ask WS how much injury time he wanted depending on what the score was.. Is that not cheating ???

And did the crowd laugh?
If this was the case do you really think he would be telling it at functions?
Is that rangers or the ref who's cheating?

PISTOL1875
I see BlackpoolHibs is online.. He must be biding his time before he weighs in with his feelings.....

PISTOL1875
21-01-2010, 10:14 PM
And did the crowd laugh?

The crowd were taken aback and he got a polite chuckle... You could've heard a pin drop when he revealed it at first....

The ref'c cheating as he's giving Rangers a unfair advantage...

blueisthecolour
21-01-2010, 10:20 PM
The crowd were taken aback and he got a polite chuckle... You could've heard a pin drop when he revealed it at first....

The ref'c cheating as he's giving Rangers a unfair advantage...

That's the point im making, don't believe for a minute he didn't tell the story in jest, but let's sat it's true, there would have been an enquiry.

the poster who said rangers cheating season after season, you are saying the ref is a cheat, thats 2 different things.

blueisthecolour
21-01-2010, 10:21 PM
What I want to know is why you & Jack never seem to be online at the same time..............

:hmmm: :wink::greengrin

Check back, we have been online at the same time:wink:

PISTOL1875
21-01-2010, 10:31 PM
That's the point im making, don't believe for a minute he didn't tell the story in jest, but let's sat it's true, there would have been an enquiry.

the poster who said rangers cheating season after season, you are saying the ref is a cheat, thats 2 different things.

No its not.. Rangers are just as bad for being involved in something like this.. You are cheating the other team as you're getting more time to get a winner or a equaliser..

matty_f
21-01-2010, 10:38 PM
Kyle Lafferty going down holding his face when nothing happened to him, is cheating.:wink:

lyonhibs
21-01-2010, 10:38 PM
Am I missing something, but was the SC Final of the season highlighted (1979/80) not an OF Cup Final, therefore all this "we wuz cheated" chat is incorrect (for that season anyway.................... )

Big Frank
21-01-2010, 10:40 PM
And did the crowd laugh?

Na pal. You're totally right. Your team gets, give or take, the same decisions for and against you as the rest of us get.

Its always been like that aswell.

The entire rest of the scottish football nation really, really need to get a grip.

Your club is the epitome of everything that is good in Scottish football.

Crab apple
21-01-2010, 10:41 PM
Be carfeul about being critical of the teddy bears. Just ask Graham Spiers. So, so bitter.

http://www.vanguardbears.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=230&Itemid=26

blueisthecolour
21-01-2010, 10:42 PM
No its not.. Rangers are just as bad for being involved in something like this.. You are cheating the other team as you're getting more time to get a winner or a equaliser..

you never said Walter got involved, how many mins was meant to be added, could these games be checked, Is there any footage of the speech?

Could you answer honestly please, Do you believe this story to be true?

New Corrie
21-01-2010, 10:42 PM

Aye, like that really happened.

blueisthecolour
21-01-2010, 10:43 PM
Na pal. You're totally right. Your team gets, give or take, the same decisions for and against you as the rest of us get.

Its always been like that aswell.

The entire rest of the scottish football nation really, really need to get a grip.

Your club is the epitome of everything that is good in Scottish football.

At last someone who speaks the truth:top marks:wink:

Baldy Foghorn
21-01-2010, 10:43 PM
I despise the institution that is Rangers.................:grr:

blueisthecolour
21-01-2010, 10:46 PM
Just to get back on the thread topic, What did everyone who watched think of the programme tonight?

ronaldo7
21-01-2010, 10:48 PM

you never said Walter got involved, how many mins was meant to be added, could these games be checked, Is there any footage of the speech?

:rolleyes:

PISTOL1875
21-01-2010, 10:49 PM

Yeah.. 100%.. One of my mates is in the same lodge as him..

Baldy Foghorn
21-01-2010, 10:49 PM
Just to get back on the thread topic, What did everyone who watched think of the programme tonight?

Great show, showed the old firm fans as despicable and loathesome.....

Some things never change

lyonhibs
21-01-2010, 10:50 PM
Kyle Lafferty going down holding his face when nothing happened to him, is cheating.:wink:

I think that's more to do with Lafferty being a despicable, cowardly ***** than anything else.

blueisthecolour
21-01-2010, 10:53 PM
Yeah.. 100%.. One of my mates is in the same lodge as him..

Not everyone in a lodge is a rangers fan, the lodge and rangers are not connected.

Big Frank
21-01-2010, 10:55 PM
At last someone who speaks the truth:top marks:wink:

GTF.

If every hun in scotland jumped off a cliff I'd be so happy I'd bathe in a bath of beans. If your ceptic brothers followed I'd bathe in them beans and touch myself.

blueisthecolour
21-01-2010, 10:55 PM

He got his backside booted and fined by rangers for that, and was banned for a few games.

PISTOL1875
21-01-2010, 10:57 PM
Not everyone in a lodge is a rangers fan, the lodge and rangers are not connected.

Trust me , Bobby Tait IS a Rangers fan....

You're going to get slated for saying that the Lodge and Rangers aren't connected..

lyonhibs
Be carfeul about being critical of the teddy bears. Just ask Graham Spiers. So, so bitter.

http://www.vanguardbears.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=230&Itemid=26 (http://www.vanguardbears.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=230&Itemid=26)

Good god, one can only step back and marvel at the way that Rangers, Celtc and Hearts consistently try to outdo each other for the title of "Most comically paranoid fans EVER"

2 things - Graeme Spiers, is and has been a Rangers fan since childhood. He's just not had his head shoved up his arse by the "Proddies and Blue good, Catholics and Green bad" mantra that seems to rule the hearts and microscopic brains of a - ahem - "vocal minority" of Huns

Secondly, the name of that site: "Vanguard Bears: Defending our traditions" - :faf: :faf: :faf:.

They probably believe its a title laden with respect and gravitas though................ :rolleyes:

GGTTH

PISTOL1875
He got his backside booted and fined by rangers for that, and was banned for a few games.

What's money to that clown ???

deek68
Am I missing something, but was the SC Final of the season highlighted (1979/80) not an OF Cup Final, therefore all this "we wuz cheated" chat is incorrect (for that season anyway.................... )

Correct. And believe it or not i can't remember this penalty incident. I do remember Colin Campbell having a shot late in the game that the girvan lighthouse pushed past the post. BA$T%rd.

Thoroughly entertaining. A lot i'd forgotten (or didn't take in at the time). About George Best playing for Hibs, i've always thought that made us look bad, this world class player playing his twighlight years in a team that got relegated. I wouldn't say "George Best played for Hibs" with the same pride that i'd say that about Sauzee for example. Anyone?:dunno:

Oh, and aye, Dundee United and Aberdeen in the 80's. Superb.

blueisthecolour
21-01-2010, 11:01 PM

You're going to get slated for saying that the Lodge and Rangers aren't connected..

Im not saying tait isn't a rangers fan, but not everyone in a lodge is a rangers fan, trust me on that.

PISTOL1875
21-01-2010, 11:02 PM
Im not saying tait isn't a rangers fan, but not everyone in a lodge is a rangers fan, trust me on that.

You don't need to tell me that. My mate's a Jambo...

blueisthecolour
21-01-2010, 11:02 PM
Correct. And believe it or not i can't remember this penalty incident. I do remember Colin Campbell having a shot late in the game that the girvan lighthouse pushed past the post. BA$T%rd.

Thoroughly entertaining. A lot i'd forgotten (or didn't take in at the time). About George Best playing for Hibs, i've always thought that made us look bad, this world class player playing his twighlight years in a team that got relegated. I wouldn't say "George Best played for Hibs" with the same pride that i'd say that about Sauzee for example. Anyone?:dunno:

Agree

Hibbie_Cameron
21-01-2010, 11:06 PM
Quite enjoyed the show tonight, really refreshing to look back and see Scottish football dominated by two teams outiwth glasgow.

What an utter disgrace that cup final looked. I have heard about what happened that day but never really seen much footage until tonight.

Anyone looking for a reason as to why people hate the old firm should look no further than that footage

New Corrie
21-01-2010, 11:14 PM

Does it matter if he is a Rangers supporter? Are referees not allowed to support teams? And as for Lodges, are you referring to Orange or Masonic ones? Or do you just presume that anyone who is a member of both/either must be a Rangers fan.

This is starting to resemble a Kerrydale St paranoia thread.

Sir David Gray
21-01-2010, 11:18 PM
I watched this tonight and I found it very interesting.

It's amazing what you can achieve in sport when you have someone in charge who is a real winner and has a winning mentality and they are able to instil that mentality into their players.

It doesn't surprise me that Alex Ferguson got up the nose of several Aberdeen players when he first arrived at the club as he probably did come across as being extremely arrogant and conceited and at first there was absolutely nothing to back it up. He had previously won no major honours as a player or as a manager and had just been sacked by St Mirren.

However, what that man has done in football over the past 30 years has been nothing short of extraordinary and he must go down as the greatest football manager of all time as far as I'm concerned.

monktonharp
21-01-2010, 11:24 PM
Does it matter if he is a Rangers supporter? Are referees not allowed to support teams? And as for Lodges, are you referring to Orange or Masonic ones? Or do you just presume that anyone who is a member of both/either must be a Rangers fan.

This is starting to resemble a Kerrydale St paranoia thread.now heres a surprise.you bring some other angle into this particular debate:yawn:

New Corrie
21-01-2010, 11:29 PM
now heres a surprise.you bring some other angle into this particular debate:yawn:

What on earth are you on about? What do I have to do to join in? Continue with the, all refs are "hun/masonic/orange cheats" nature of the thread?

Please tell me that you don't buy into all that bollocks.

StevieC
21-01-2010, 11:30 PM

Rangers, Celtic, their supporters, the SFA, the media .. all put excessive pressure on referee's. This results in Celtic and Rangers getting more than their fair share of decisions.

Therefore it can be argued that Rangers are cheats by association.

:agree:

HibbiesandtheBaddies
22-01-2010, 12:05 AM

BITC, Do you post on Follow Follow as "Rudolph Hess"?

:greengrin

ahibby
22-01-2010, 09:15 AM

You'll be telling us that they don't employ opposition goalkeepers next!

ahibby
22-01-2010, 09:22 AM

Yes the George Best season was a bit of a novelty and nothing more for me anyway. It was great to see him pinging seventy yard passes around though and despite his arrival heralding the departure of Eddie Turnbull I'd rather we had him for that short period than not. Sauzee on the other hand didn't have the problems that Besty had and was in my view a better player than Best comparing their periods with Hibs and not necessarily their entire careers.

HIBERNIAN-0762
22-01-2010, 09:37 AM
I had never seen that clip of the 1 all draw at Pittodrie before and didn't we look pathetic against the sheep at ER in the 0-5 game?, I was in the old north stand that day with head in hands for 90mins, absolutely shocking we were, sad days back then :fuming:

JackRegan
22-01-2010, 10:21 AM
I remember season 79/80 quite well.

Celtic blew the lague thats for sure. We were top at New Year (Morton were second) and were 9 poinst ahead of Aberdeen, then we went on a run of 6 games without a win. We drew 1--1 with hibs at Easter Road in a game we should have lost, thne we drew 6 league games in a row, even St Mirren
(who finished 3rd that year) breathing down our necks.

w
e tehn lost 2-1 at home to Aberdeen and then 3-0 away to Dundee United and teh salt in the wound game was a 5-1 drubbing at Dens Park.

we beat the huns and Aberdeen had dropped some points PLUS we had them at home again so all was not lost, but it was when we lost 3-0 or 3-1 at home.

Bright spots were the Semi Final win v Hibs (I think you went down that year) and beating the huns (who finished 5th :greengrin) in the Cup Final.

As an aside, Celtic had a decent side in the 1980's and won 4 titles. In 1983 and 1987 we had 9 point leads in both those seasons and conspired to throw them away.

Despite beating them in most head to heads though in 83/84 and 84/85, Aberdeen were untouchable.

WOuld not think that the 80's would be remembered fondly by Hibs fans though.

CropleyWasGod
22-01-2010, 11:03 AM
I had never seen that clip of the 1 all draw at Pittodrie before and didn't we look pathetic against the sheep at ER in the 0-5 game?, I was in the old north stand that day with head in hands for 90mins, absolutely shocking we were, sad days back then :fuming:

I was in a different mood, IIRC. We were already relegated, so the game was irrelevant to us. However, I was quite keen to see someone other than the OF win the league, so I was ok with Aberdeen winning. Indeed, there were many Hibbies on the terracing that day who were cheering the Aberdeen goals.

Dashing Bob S
22-01-2010, 12:37 PM
Wasn't David Syme exposed for being at a Rangers supporters do, singing a gutsy rendition of the Sash?

Or is this just a figment of my imagination?

Jack, help me out here, please.

blackpoolhibs
22-01-2010, 03:21 PM

Celtic blew the lague thats for sure. We were top at New Year (Morton were second) and were 9 poinst ahead of Aberdeen, then we went on a run of 6 games without a win. We drew 1--1 with hibs at Easter Road in a game we should have lost, thne we drew 6 league games in a row, even St Mirren

w
e tehn lost 2-1 at home to Aberdeen and then 3-0 away to Dundee United and teh salt in the wound game was a 5-1 drubbing at Dens Park.

we beat the huns and Aberdeen had dropped some points PLUS we had them at home again so all was not lost, but it was when we lost 3-0 or 3-1 at home.

Bright spots were the Semi Final win v Hibs (I think you went down that year) and beating the huns (who finished 5th :greengrin) in the Cup Final.

As an aside, Celtic had a decent side in the 1980's and won 4 titles. In 1983 and 1987 we had 9 point leads in both those seasons and conspired to throw them away.

Despite beating them in most head to heads though in 83/84 and 84/85, Aberdeen were untouchable.

WOuld not think that the 80's would be remembered fondly by Hibs fans though.

So you blew it that year, it was not a conspiracy. The ref's/SFA/Masonic/Orange lodge/Aberdeen, none of that lot were to blame, it was entirely down to your own team making a **** of it. Well done the dons, i hope they know it had nothing to do with their good play. :bitchy:

JackRegan
22-01-2010, 03:39 PM
So you blew it that year, it was not a conspiracy. The ref's/SFA/Masonic/Orange lodge/Aberdeen, none of that lot were to blame, it was entirely down to your own team making a **** of it. Well done the dons, i hope they know it had nothing to do with their good play. :bitchy:

I made a football post, I try to be civil. Unfortuntaley you have an inability to behave likewise, and seem to be on varying levels of permarage.

Weher in my post did I take anything away from Aberdeen, who I acknowledged beat us twice at CP?? That and us drawing 6 or 7 games in a row cost us the league.

The league table seldom lies, it never lied in 79/80. I think hibs came last.

blackpoolhibs
22-01-2010, 04:05 PM
I made a football post, I try to be civil. Unfortuntaley you have an inability to behave likewise, and seem to be on varying levels of permarage.

Weher in my post did I take anything away from Aberdeen, who I acknowledged beat us twice at CP?? That and us drawing 6 or 7 games in a row cost us the league.

The league table seldom lies, it never lied in 79/80. I think hibs came last.

Dont talk *****, did Aberdeen not draw any games either? Your words were you blew it, no praise for the team that won it, you lost the league, Aberdeen never won it. As you say, the league never lies.:asshole:

weecounty hibby
22-01-2010, 04:50 PM
[QUOTE=JackRegan;2317821]I remember season 79/80 quite well.

You don't half talk some nonsense. You were 11/12 years old and you remember it well with all the descriptions to go with it! Well Jack I was 10/11 at the time and was at most games that season and the only one that I can really remember is the last game at ER against A/deen when they won 0-5, and my biggest memory of that is of the Dons fans on the pitch at the end of the game and not really much about the game itself. Oh and you seem to have turned yet another thread into a thread about Celtic. Aberdeen dominated because they were better than Celtic or Rangers and not because you blew it. If that were really the case can we not just say that really Hibs should have won the league any number of times but didn't, not because others were better but because we blew it.

greenlex
22-01-2010, 04:51 PM

Great show, showed the old firm fans as despicable and loathesome.....

Some things never change
Good programme.

I think the old firm fans have hit on something to spice the game experience up a bit. I think after every Old Firm game the fans that want to should be allowed to enter the field of play and batter seventy different colours of ****** out each other in a Ultimate Fight Club sort of stylee. Could catch on and we might see it introduced to every game all over the country. Might justify the admission price and even get more people through the turnstyles.:top marks
TV Rights etc and it could be the saving of the game up here.

cockneymike
22-01-2010, 04:58 PM
Hang on a second, to be fair to Jack Regan - he did say that Aberdeen were untouchable - I think that that is a pretty positive statement to make about another team. Also I think that if you're 9 points ahead at new year, then finish well behind, it is fair to say you blew it. In my opinion one team can blow it whilst anothers win it. They don't need to be mutually exclusive.

I think of Newcastle being 12 clear in march, and keegan losing it. I also think of Norman being 6 (?) clear and Faldo winning the 97 Masters. To win something, usually one person/ team has to do well; but often if one has a big lead, then one does needs to do well and one do badly.

I think you boys are unnecessarily, in this instance at least, giving him a hard time.

blackpoolhibs
22-01-2010, 05:02 PM
Hang on a second, to be fair to Jack Regan - he did say that Aberdeen were untouchable - I think that that is a pretty positive statement to make about another team.

I think you boys are unnecessarily, in this instance at least, giving him a hard time.

So did the smellies blow it or not? that quote was about 1984

cockneymike
22-01-2010, 05:12 PM
So did the smellies blow it or not? that quote was about 1984

I see your point caller! I may have gone off on one, defending JR when I didn't read his post correctly :doh:

It all sort of depends on whether the outstanding remark refers purely to the 83-85 period, or the era.

If not the era, then it is is bit ungraceful. However, losing a 9point lead, is good going though....

blackpoolhibs
22-01-2010, 05:29 PM
I see your point caller! I may have gone off on one, defending JR when I didn't read his post correctly :doh:

It all sort of depends on whether the outstanding remark refers purely to the 83-85 period, or the era.

If not the era, then it is is bit ungraceful. However, losing a 9point lead, is good going though....

When they lose against the huns, its a conspiracy, but when they lose against anyone else, its down to them blowing it. Did you know they were the only teams to lose and draw games that season. If they dont win it, or their bigoted brothers, then its nothing to do with how well they did, only how the smellies threw it away. I ****in hate them, maybe you guessed that?

Gatecrasher
22-01-2010, 05:32 PM
:agree: good programme

i knew archie mcpherson was a **** but not that much

oh and hibs got gubbed :rolleyes:

lapsedhibee
22-01-2010, 07:05 PM
Hang on a second, to be fair to Jack Regan - he did say that Aberdeen were untouchable - I think that that is a pretty positive statement to make about another team. Also I think that if you're 9 points ahead at new year, then finish well behind, it is fair to say you blew it. In my opinion one team can blow it whilst anothers win it. They don't need to be mutually exclusive.

I think of Newcastle being 12 clear in march, and keegan losing it. I also think of Norman being 6 (?) clear and Faldo winning the 97 Masters. To win something, usually one person/ team has to do well; but often if one has a big lead, then one does needs to do well and one do badly.

Absolute pish. The truth is that there's only two years in the last fifty in which it would be correct and proper to say that the league was lost rather than won. Those years are 1965 and 1986.

Sunny1875
22-01-2010, 07:21 PM
You don't need to tell me that. My mate's a Jambo...

was he short of the bus fare ?

MGmick
22-01-2010, 08:41 PM
Absolute pish. The truth is that there's only two years in the last fifty in which it would be correct and proper to say that the league was lost rather than won. Those years are 1965 and 1986.

To echo the words of Churchill, Oh yes!!!!! :agree:

hibsbollah
22-01-2010, 08:51 PM

http://www.vanguardbears.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=230&Itemid=26 (http://www.vanguardbears.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=230&Itemid=26)

Thats deeply unpleasant.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
22-01-2010, 08:58 PM
:agree: good programme

i knew archie mcpherson was a **** but not that much

oh and hibs got gubbed :rolleyes:

Ironically though, his laddie is a Hibby.

Gatecrasher
22-01-2010, 10:09 PM

Ironically though, his laddie is a Hibby.

Really! It almost seemed he couldn't wait to put the club down.

Bet his son is raging :greengrin

JackRegan
23-01-2010, 05:24 AM
Dont talk *****, did Aberdeen not draw any games either? Your words were you blew it, no praise for the team that won it, you lost the league, Aberdeen never won it. As you say, the league never lies.:asshole:

Seriously, only you could take issue with what I said on here. But I'll rephrase and try and be a clear as possible for your benefit.

Celtic were at one stage in season 79/80, 9 points ahead of aberdeen, put us in a great position to win the league. However, Celtic's lack of consistency in the spring of that year added to Aberdeen putting together a fine run, culminating in two wins at Celtic Park, saw Celtic throw away their advantage, while aberdeen, through putting together a good run from January onwards, saw them deservedly win the league. Not once did I say that they were not worthy champions. The difference between that season and their title wins in 84 and 85, was that in the latter two years, they led from the start and won both with a bit to spare.

If you think thats unreasonable, then I suggest its you who are being unreasonable

JackRegan
23-01-2010, 05:27 AM
Wasn't David Syme exposed for being at a Rangers supporters do, singing a gutsy rendition of the Sash?

Or is this just a figment of my imagination?

Jack, help me out here, please.

Davie Syme, while a well known blue nose in his native Rutherglen, was IMO a pretty fair ref. I can only think of one howler he had. Although, too young to remember - I do believe his father (also a grade 1 whistler) was seen as being less impartial.

Syme drank, on occasion in uber Rangers pub in Rutherglen Mains St called the Linn of Dee, but I am unsure if he ever got caught sashing it up.

Jim McCLuskey on the other hand was lifted for being drunk and disorderly after an orange walk in Stewarton.

JackRegan
23-01-2010, 05:32 AM
[QUOTE=JackRegan;2317821]I remember season 79/80 quite well.

You don't half talk some nonsense. You were 11/12 years old and you remember it well with all the descriptions to go with it! Well Jack I was 10/11 at the time and was at most games that season and the only one that I can really remember is the last game at ER against A/deen when they won 0-5, and my biggest memory of that is of the Dons fans on the pitch at the end of the game and not really much about the game itself. Oh and you seem to have turned yet another thread into a thread about Celtic. Aberdeen dominated because they were better than Celtic or Rangers and not because you blew it. If that were really the case can we not just say that really Hibs should have won the league any number of times but didn't, not because others were better but because we blew it.

yes I do remember it well as it was my first season that I got to attend all the matches, before my dad never took me to Aberdeen or Dundee. I can't help it if I have a good memory and you don't.

Also it was not my intention to turn the thread into one about Celtic, I was merely providing the thread with my own memories of that season and and a summary of that era in Scottish football.

Seriously, if people on here have found what I typed objectionable then I think some chill pills are required.

blackpoolhibs
23-01-2010, 09:50 AM
Seriously, only you could take issue with what I said on here. But I'll rephrase and try and be a clear as possible for your benefit.

Celtic were at one stage in season 79/80, 9 points ahead of aberdeen, put us in a great position to win the league. However, Celtic's lack of consistency in the spring of that year added to Aberdeen putting together a fine run, culminating in two wins at Celtic Park, saw Celtic throw away their advantage, while aberdeen, through putting together a good run from January onwards, saw them deservedly win the league. Not once did I say that they were not worthy champions. The difference between that season and their title wins in 84 and 85, was that in the latter two years, they led from the start and won both with a bit to spare.

If you think thats unreasonable, then I suggest its you who are being unreasonable

Bollox bollox and more bollox. If you had said that in the beginning i would not have replied. You posted how you threw it away, giving no credit to Aberdeen. Its there for all to see.

weecounty hibby
23-01-2010, 11:21 AM
Not all that you type is objectionable, most but not all. What gets right on my nerves is how you can turn any post into a Celtic post. This one was about Aberdeen and Dundee Utd FFS.

Seriously, if people on here have found what I typed objectionable then I think some chill pills are required.[/QUOTE]

blackpoolhibs
23-01-2010, 11:27 AM

Below is nothing like above, backtracking again.

w