PDA

View Full Version : Stirling Albion Meerkats

Part/Time Supporter
21-01-2010, 01:21 PM
I had to check the calendar on this one.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/tayside_and_central/8471740.stm

:grr:

What other brands would sponsor Scottish football clubs?

:fishin:

poolman
21-01-2010, 01:25 PM

Anything to stop the smaller clubs making some extra money :bitchy:

H18sry
21-01-2010, 01:35 PM
Quite right aswell would you have liked us to have become "Hibernian Kwik Fit FC " no I didn't think so.

davemcbain
21-01-2010, 01:36 PM

What other brands would sponsor Scottish football clubs?

:fishin:

Orangina - Rangers
Imperial Leather - Celtic
Sheep Dip Whisky - Aberdeen
DSS - Motherwell
Pukka Pies - Killie
Hutcheson Sand Mixes - DUFC
Lothian Buses of Midlothian FC

Ringothedog
21-01-2010, 01:48 PM
Quite right aswell would you have liked us to have become "Hibernian Kwik Fit FC " no I didn't think so.

I agree Ronnie........................but if it was a choice between the money being used to save my club or them going out of business then imho its no contest.

lapsedhibee
21-01-2010, 01:49 PM
Celtc Harp (http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://ilmot.co.uk/HarpLager.jpg&imgrefurl=http://ilmot.co.uk/HarpLager.html&h=290&w=339&sz=22&tbnid=rD9jn0kv_jJ5vM:&tbnh=102&tbnw=119&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dharp%2Blager&hl=en&usg=__C12p9qOxDtp6dMxdVeiEFN1jW50=&ei=mVpYS5SqN4740wTLp-36BA&sa=X&oi=image_result&resnum=4&ct=image&ved=0CBIQ9QEwAw)
Power Rangers (http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.dan-dare.org/freefun/Images/CartoonsMoviesTV/PowerRangersSPDWallpaper800.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.dan-dare.org/freefun/games/CartoonsMoviesTV/PowerRangers.htm&h=600&w=800&sz=121&tbnid=OzMxwoF7CiCAqM:&tbnh=107&tbnw=143&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dpower%2Brangers&hl=en&usg=__5tisu5A9jHU0kNcEwk5gOEuxvgI=&ei=y1pYS8SNCIOy0gSc7rThBw&sa=X&oi=image_result&resnum=5&ct=image&ved=0CCcQ9QEwBA)
Hearts Fluke (http://www.fluke.co.uk/comx/category.aspx?locale=uken&product=mdhmaeu)

Baw187
21-01-2010, 02:01 PM
The Stirling Albion Meerkats would be a brilliant name for a football club.

I'd defo take a soft spot for them if they changed their name to that. :thumbsup:

poolman
21-01-2010, 02:16 PM

Very blinkered attitude IMO

£50,000 to a club like Stirling Albion is a lot of money annually

Steve20
21-01-2010, 02:20 PM
If they added Meerkat to their name, I would have to want them to lose every week.

Hank Schrader
21-01-2010, 02:30 PM
If they added Meerkat to their name, I would have to want them to lose every week.

:agree:

I hate that wee meerkat tosser and his annoying adverts!

:greengrin

Calvin
21-01-2010, 02:56 PM
I'd rather see Stirling Albion Meerkats than no Stirling Albion at all.

Lucius Apuleius
21-01-2010, 03:02 PM
I'd rather see Stirling Albion Meerkats than no Stirling Albion at all.

:agree: Absolutely, 'mon the 'Binos (unless of course we get them in the next round of the cup)

Aubenas
21-01-2010, 03:03 PM
This sits rather oddly with the ok that was given for Meadowbank Thistle to become Livingston FC. Not exactly the same idea in that name change wasn't sponsorship per se, but iirc it was a condition of West Lothian building the stadium.

Personal view is that any move towards franchising is a bad idea. There are still people in Broooklyn who gave up on baseball altogether when the Brooklyn Dodgers became the LA Dodgers 50 odd years ago.

I can see how the cash would be welcome to Stirling Albion and I have some pity for their position - but, as is always the case, if pernmission was given for this, it wouldn't be the wee clubs that would ultimately benefit. We'd be looking at Old Firm Buckfast FC

Jonnyboy
21-01-2010, 04:57 PM
The Stirling Albion Meerkats would be a brilliant name for a football club.

I'd defo take a soft spot for them if they changed their name to that. :thumbsup:

Stirling Albion have already undergone a name change in the past Baw :agree:

Hibbie_Cameron
21-01-2010, 05:01 PM
Real teams named after companies/brands include:

New York Red Bull
Red Bull Salzburg
PSV:wink:

Dashing Bob S
21-01-2010, 05:04 PM
Los Yambolinos Dildos

Wilson
21-01-2010, 05:04 PM

We're doomed! Are we doomed?

Yes, we're doomed.

fiolex1
21-01-2010, 05:06 PM
How about Hertz of Midlothian

Jonnyboy
21-01-2010, 05:07 PM
How about Hertz of Midlothian

Or given where they're headed ......... Hearse of Midlothian :greengrin

fiolex1
21-01-2010, 05:07 PM
Celtic Hula Hoops

fiolex1
21-01-2010, 05:08 PM
Rangers "We are the Sunday people"

heidtheba
21-01-2010, 05:37 PM
Hearts - 'Go Compare'...nothing witty about the company or club but I'd like to think of the Yams being regularly blasted with their ******y advert music!:bye:

Or is it time to roll out the 'Tampax' sponsor? cos every weeks a bad week at Tynecastle...badda boom:blah:

Or how about HMRC HoMoFC...then lets see how they don't like getting their promised cash on time...:devil:

NAE NOOKIE
21-01-2010, 05:47 PM
HI BERNI INNS :greengrin

Jamesie
21-01-2010, 06:26 PM

New York Red Bull
Red Bull Salzburg

Don't forget Parma

jgl07
21-01-2010, 06:26 PM
Orangina - Rangers
Imperial Leather - Celtic
Sheep Dip Whisky - Aberdeen
DSS - Motherwell
Pukka Pies - Killie
Hutcheson Sand Mixes - DUFC
Lothian Buses of Midlothian FC
The Insolvency Service could well sponsor the likes of Hearts, Kilmarnock, Dundee United, etc (allegedly).

Hainan Hibs
21-01-2010, 06:27 PM
I wouldn't mind supporting Hibernian 7up FC :greengrin

EH6 Hibby
21-01-2010, 06:42 PM
Celtic Hula Hoops

I prefer Celtc Fruit Loops! :greengrin

down-the-slope
21-01-2010, 06:58 PM
Have to say some of the suggestions have made me laugh out loud...:greengrin

Partick Thistle Hotels

Part/Time Supporter
21-01-2010, 08:22 PM
Don't forget Parma

There is a town called Parma (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parma). It was the company (Parmalat (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parmalat)) that was named after the town. Parma A.C. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parma_F.C.) was founded about 50 years before Parmalat.

SquashedFrogg
21-01-2010, 08:49 PM
This sits rather oddly with the ok that was given for Meadowbank Thistle to become Livingston FC. Not exactly the same idea in that name change wasn't sponsorship per se, but iirc it was a condition of West Lothian building the stadium.

Personal view is that any move towards franchising is a bad idea. There are still people in Broooklyn who gave up on baseball altogether when the Brooklyn Dodgers became the LA Dodgers 50 odd years ago.
I can see how the cash would be welcome to Stirling Albion and I have some pity for their position - but, as is always the case, if pernmission was given for this, it wouldn't be the wee clubs that would ultimately benefit. We'd be looking at Old Firm Buckfast FC

Excuse my ignorance but is that not more to do with the fact that they relocated to the other side of the country?

Rather than just a name change?

:dunno:

I also don't think this is the same as franchising. Compare the Meerkat wouldn't control (or probably want to!) the team. Just use it for good advertising purposes. For example, despite being a small club their name would quite quickly become well known by popping up on the Sky's Soccer Saturday/BBC vidiprinter.

New Corrie
21-01-2010, 10:12 PM
Typical Scottish Football "Bowling Club Types" would rather see Stirling Albion go out of business, tossers! I thought it was a great idea. Is there not some Welsh mob called Airbus? Or is Airbus the name of a town in Wales:confused:

Zondervan
21-01-2010, 10:26 PM
Typical Scottish Football "Bowling Club Types" would rather see Stirling Albion go out of business, tossers! I thought it was a great idea. Is there not some Welsh mob called Airbus? Or is Airbus the name of a town in Wales:confused:

They are affectionately known as "The Wingmakers".

Dates back years, and their official name has changed various times over the years to mirror the name of the local company.

Bit like Ferranti Thistle I suppose.

basehibby
21-01-2010, 10:39 PM
HI BERNI INNS :greengrin

:greengrin

Joking aside I think the SFA are wrong to reject this idea out of hand - clubs like Stirling Albion would benefit greatly from this sort of deal - and there's precedents in the likes of Wales (TNS = Total Network Solutions) as well as prestigeous clubs like Arsenal selling the name of their stadia.

Stirling Albion Meercats has a certain ring to it as well :cool2:

heidtheba
21-01-2010, 10:44 PM
So, out of interest, how could the SFA legally stop the club from selling its name? Aside from my feelings that I feel they should stump up the cash themselves or shut up about it, what rights do they have over a seperate identity renaming itself?

Full marks to the proposers of this, nice to see people pulling out all the stops and 'thinking outside the box' (God I hate that corporate speak) for the sake of their financially troubled club.:bitchy:

NAE NOOKIE
21-01-2010, 10:56 PM
So, out of interest, how could the SFA legally stop the club from selling its name? Aside from my feelings that I feel they should stump up the cash themselves or shut up about it, what rights do they have over a seperate identity renaming itself?

Full marks to the proposers of this, nice to see people pulling out all the stops and 'thinking outside the box' (God I hate that corporate speak) for the sake of their financially troubled club.:bitchy:

:top marks

Typical SFA not a bloody clue of how to turn around the fortunes of the game and yet are prepared to veto this idea. Well done to the Stirling Albion fans for at least having the energy to try and save their club and the brains to come up with this idea.

Nobody likes the idea of clubs changing their names to survive, but what would the SFA prefer ?

Option # 1 .... There is a football club called Stirling Meercats.
Option # 2 .... There used to be a football club called Stirling Albion.

It says everything about the dolts running our game that it seems to be option # 2.

:bitchy:

London Hibs FC
22-01-2010, 12:12 AM

New York Red Bull
Red Bull Salzburg

Bayer Leverkusen.

Airbus UK Broughton and Technogroup Welshpool Town in the WPL.

Most of the J League Sides.

Lucius Apuleius
22-01-2010, 06:29 AM
My favourite EVER was a Filipino basketball team. Purefoods Tasty Juicy Hotdogs. Now that is a name!!!

H18sry
22-01-2010, 10:58 AM
Very blinkered attitude IMO

£50,000 to a club like Stirling Albion is a lot of money annually

Care to explain why its blinkered :confused: The point I was making is that when Sir Tom stepped in to save us with a cash injection, is no different to what Stirling are trying to do now.

Andy74
22-01-2010, 11:06 AM
Care to explain why its blinkered :confused: The point I was making is that when Sir Tom stepped in to save us with a cash injection, is no different to what Stirling are trying to do now.

sir Tom stepped in as a personal buyer of the football club.

Stirling , or this fans group, are suggesting a commerical sponsorship which would result in the name of the club being changed.

How on earth are those the same things?

It's preferable to a team going out of business ( is this actually the only way that company would accept a deal), but it's not a good precedent to be setting. I don't really want football clubs to be renamed after companies. Stadiums I can just about accept but not the name of the team.

proud_and_green
22-01-2010, 12:36 PM
SFA - what a bunch of two faced, small minded and no ambition tossers.

The reason many clubs like SA are in trouble is because of the ground restrictions and other stupid rules imposed by the SFA and when there is a suggestion to try to deal with the issue and move forward they come out with crap like this -

"Given that a name change for commercial purposes would have huge implications, the integrity of the game would be paramount in any decision-making process."

Integrity of the game! It won't have much bloody integrity if the clubs all go out of business and by the way what about the CIS Insurance Cup - League Cup in my earlier day; The Active Nations Cup, err.... the Scottish FA Cup!!!!

Trouble is these errses do not have the brain to see that the water is rapidly rising and if they don't start bailing the boat is going to sink. It is a lot easier to say no though, doesn't take as much intellectual energy!!!

I seem to recall that some of the blazers had difficulties with our proposal to wear sponsorship on our strip.

Harrumph!!!

Rant over!

poolman
22-01-2010, 01:17 PM

Andy74 summed it up perfectly :agree: