PDA

View Full Version : NHC Sol Campbell

bingo70
20-01-2010, 11:20 AM
SSN reporting Sol Campbell is to sue Portsomouth for unpaid bonuses.

Now i know he's probably entitled to the money but for someone thats no doubt made a good bit of cash out the game would it really kill him to help out the club and write off the money considering the trouble they're already in?

Sounds like another greedy footballer with little consideration for the fans that help pay his wages for a good chunk of his career.

Captain Trips
20-01-2010, 11:23 AM

Now i know he's probably entitled to the money but for someone thats no doubt made a good bit of cash out the game would it really kill him to help out the club and write off the money considering the trouble they're already in?

Sounds like another greedy footballer with little consideration for the fans that help pay his wages for a good chunk of his career.

Totally agree with all of that, they signed him when he was a bit wayward and gave him a good wedge, to not pursue the bonus would be IMO the right way to help the club and o the fans whom backed him.

It really is all take out there.

bingo70
20-01-2010, 11:29 AM
Totally agree with all of that, they signed him when he was a bit wayward and gave him a good wedge, to not pursue the bonus would be IMO the right way to help the club and o the fans whom backed him.

It really is all take out there.

With the odd exception i just think that footballers are dicks.

The best professional i can think of is Ivan Sproule and it probably took him having a career before turning pro for him to appreciate what he had as a footballer so maybe all players should be made to do a proper job for a year or two before playing for the first team, no sure how practical that'd be though :wink:

Captain Trips
20-01-2010, 11:37 AM
With the odd exception i just think that footballers are dicks.

The best professional i can think of is Ivan Sproule and it probably took him having a career before turning pro for him to appreciate what he had as a footballer so maybe all players should be made to do a proper job for a year or two before playing for the first team, no sure how practical that'd be though :wink:

Spot on, if say footballers started playing when they were 30 after 10 years of the 9-5 I think that they may understand us a bit more.

ShanksSaidNo
20-01-2010, 11:37 AM
We're not talking pennies here, i'd bet that Portsmouth are owe him some serious candy. If we're being honest - if someone's owe you money - you want it back! Morally it might seem a bit shabby of him to pursue it but im sure if the majority of people on here were due money - they'd make sure they got it!

Hakim Sar
20-01-2010, 11:38 AM
I think he is entitled to his money. it's not his fault that Portsmouth made promises that were impossible to stick to.

does nobody stick to contracts these days!?! he was one of their best players and consistent performers and deserves paid for doing his work.

bonuses are always going to make joe public tetchy tho - just look at the banks. rich fat cat investors have ruined it for the man on the street who works in the branches and operational offices who work hard all year and deserve their bonuses.

That was on a tangent a bit but if it's on a contract PAY UP or go to court otherwise it just mucks up everything.

Just Jimmy
20-01-2010, 11:42 AM

or the alternative view, they signed a contract to offer him cash they did not have. Who's fault is that?

If it was hearts we'd all be laughing and siding with Campbell.

A contract is a contract, players get lambased for breaking them so should clubs. I'd like to see Portsmouth go to the wall tbh. It might serve as an example to some other clubs.

That might not sit well, but im sick of clubs spending what they dont have while other well run clubs like us and Everton struggle away and try and do this correctly.

"Pay up Pompy, Pompy Pay up" :agree:

bingo70
20-01-2010, 11:44 AM
We're not talking pennies here, i'd bet that Portsmouth are owe him some serious candy. If we're being honest - if someone's owe you money - you want it back! Morally it might seem a bit shabby of him to pursue it but im sure if the majority of people on here were due money - they'd make sure they got it!

It's all relative though, im sure Campbell is a millionaire a few times over so won't really need the money, i'm always skint so if i was owed money i'd need it.

I would like to think if i was in his shoes i'd be big enough to either write the cash off or come to an agreement for the money to be paid when they could afford it, there's more to life than money and kicking the club when they're down seems a bit off to me.

Andy74
20-01-2010, 11:45 AM

If he is entitled to it then he's entitled to it, nothing greedy about that.

I could probably live without getting 10p change back off a pound for something that was 90p but sure as hell I'd be waiting for it and would be making sure I asked for it if they just decided not to hand it over.

bingo70
20-01-2010, 11:51 AM
or the alternative view, they signed a contract to offer him cash they did not have. Who's fault is that?

If it was hearts we'd all be laughing and siding with Campbell.

A contract is a contract, players get lambased for breaking them so should clubs. I'd like to see Portsmouth go to the wall tbh. It might serve as an example to some other clubs.

That might not sit well, but im sick of clubs spending what they dont have while other well run clubs like us and Everton struggle away and try and do this correctly.

"Pay up Pompy, Pompy Pay up" :agree:

Not the fans and thats who i'm feeling sorry for here as it's them thats going to suffer. (apart from that **** with the bell)

I actually agree with many of your points, especially about well run clubs being shafted while those that are over spend benefit, i'll always hate livi for this, however i just think it wouldn't make that much difference to him to get the cash yet it could make a big difference to pompeys future.

IMO football assocations should be doing more to ensure clubs are living within there means, i think they do this in France and its something that should be investigated to how it could work in this country to stop this kind of thing happening

RoslinInstHibby
20-01-2010, 11:52 AM

:agree: a deal's a deal.

Andy74
20-01-2010, 11:53 AM
Not the fans and thats who i'm feeling sorry for here as it's them thats going to suffer. (apart from that **** with the drum)

I actually agree with many of your points, especially about well run clubs being shafted while those that are over spend benefit, i'll always hate livi for this, however i just think it wouldn't make that much difference to him to get the cash yet it could make a big difference to pompeys future.

IMO football assocations should be doing more to ensure clubs are living within there means, i think they do this in France and its something that should be investigated to how it could work in this country to stop this kind of thing happening

The fans are suffering because of the people who ran Portsmouth, not because of Sol Campbell. Like anyone else that provided them with a service for an agreed sum he deserves to get paid it.

bingo70
20-01-2010, 11:53 AM

I could probably live without getting 10p change back off a pound for something that was 90p but sure as hell I'd be waiting for it and would be making sure I asked for it if they just decided not to hand it over.

Miserable ******* :greengrin

Danderhall Hibs
20-01-2010, 11:57 AM

Sol Campbell is the definition of that.

Look at what he done to Tottenham. The guy's only ever moved clubs on a Bosman IIRC.

bingo70
20-01-2010, 12:06 PM

Pressumably you wouldn't have any emotional attachment to this shop, Sol Campbell was club captain at Portsmouth so he should have strong enough feelings and appreciation for the club to help it out when they need it.

As i said earlier, i'm aware he's probably entitled to the cash, i just think he would be a bigger and better human being for giving up his right to the cash in order to help the club survive, there is more to life than money, especially for someone thats already a millionaire.

Sergey
20-01-2010, 12:08 PM

The BBC are reporting that it's £1.7 million.

Not many folk would write that off.

hibsbollah
20-01-2010, 12:08 PM

Look at what he done to Tottenham. The guy's only ever moved clubs on a Bosman IIRC.

Correct. No fee has ever been paid for him. Hard to believe when you consider he's moved around a fair bit.

Winston Ingram
20-01-2010, 12:17 PM

No surprise from Campbell. He's a grade 'a' c***!

He can see their predicament.

The HMRC are on the verge of winding them up, they are scrambling to get cash to sign players to prevent relegation and multi-millionaire Campbell hits them with a lawsuit. :grr:

Gus
20-01-2010, 12:18 PM

Utter rubbish imo

How did you come to that conclusion?:confused: Sol Campbell honoured is contract @ the clubs he has been at.

Tottenham got some good service out of him
Arsenal got alot more out of him, titles, fa cup, champions league final

& Portsmouth won the fa cup & got into europe

If it is £1.7 million quid then why should he write it off?

I don't like kicking a club while they are down (10 point deduction for administration is a good example of this)

But I do agree that associations need to do more to make sure clubs are living within their means.

but I would like to think in Sol V Portsmouth they could come to a mutually acceptable payment plan??

Andy74
20-01-2010, 12:19 PM
Pressumably you wouldn't have any emotional attachment to this shop, Sol Campbell was club captain at Portsmouth so he should have strong enough feelings and appreciation for the club to help it out when they need it.

As i said earlier, i'm aware he's probably entitled to the cash, i just think he would be a bigger and better human being for giving up his right to the cash in order to help the club survive, there is more to life than money, especially for someone thats already a millionaire.

I'm very fond of my local shop and all who sail in her but if they think they are keeping my 10p they can forget it!

If I then choose to stick it in the charity box next to the till that's my choice once I have what's mine back in my grubby paw.

Gus
20-01-2010, 12:20 PM
No surprise from Campbell. He's a grade 'a' c***!

He can see their predicament.

The HMRC are on the verge of winding them up, they are scrambling to get cash to sign players to prevent relegation and multi-millionaire Campbell hits them with a lawsuit. :grr:

you know him do you?:confused:

Thought not :blah:

bingo70
20-01-2010, 12:21 PM
The BBC are reporting that it's £1.7 million.

Not many folk would write that off.

For image rights and bonuses :confused:

I imagine that it was only towards the end of his time there he stopped being paid this money so i dread to think what his actual wage would have been.

Peevemor
20-01-2010, 12:28 PM

:agree: I'm not sure exactly how it works, but if a teams finances aren't in order or they are working to unsustainable budgets then they risk being knocked down a couple of divisions. Inspections are carried out on an annual basis.

In Sol Campbell's defence, if a winding up order is going to be effected, he has to put in his claim or he won't get his slice of the pie (or proportion thereof) when the money's divvied up. It won't make any difference to the club nor the fans, but to any other creditors who may get a smaller slice accordingly.

Danny_Hibee
20-01-2010, 12:37 PM
I think he is entitled to his money. it's not his fault that Portsmouth made promises that were impossible to stick to.

does nobody stick to contracts these days!?! he was one of their best players and consistent performers and deserves paid for doing his work.

bonuses are always going to make joe public tetchy tho - just look at the banks. rich fat cat investors have ruined it for the man on the street who works in the branches and operational offices who work hard all year and deserve their bonuses.

That was on a tangent a bit but if it's on a contract PAY UP or go to court otherwise it just mucks up everything.

Well Sol Campbell certainly doesn't (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1215409/Sol-Campbell-walks-Notts-County--just-game.html)

I don't blame him at all for claiming back the money which is rightfully his. If my work were owe me money after I left i'd be doing everything I could to get it back and I think most people would be the same.

MWHIBBIES
20-01-2010, 12:42 PM
TBH none of us know what went on behind the seans at pompey.

IMO sol is entiteled to the money he is owed and you cant realy say he is a dick because all of you would do the same thing if you were owed money especialy this much.

Danderhall Hibs
20-01-2010, 12:44 PM
Utter rubbish imo

How did you come to that conclusion?:confused: Sol Campbell honoured is contract @ the clubs he has been at.

My opinion's mainly based on the Tottenham to Arsenal thing, making sure the club that made him didn't get a penny for him so he could pocket the lot.

Gus
20-01-2010, 12:55 PM
My opinion's mainly based on the Tottenham to Arsenal thing, making sure the club that made him didn't get a penny for him so he could pocket the lot.

Well Ian Murray moved to the Huns (not main rivals, like Hearts, arsenal, spurs)

Things are different these days as compensation would of had to been paid. He just took advantage of a law

JUDAS though :wink:

Andy74
20-01-2010, 12:58 PM

IMO sol is entiteled to the money he is owed and you cant realy say he is a dick because all of you would do the same thing if you were owed money especialy this much.

Yep, much in the same way that everyone agreed that Sir Fred was....wait a minute!

Danderhall Hibs
20-01-2010, 01:01 PM
He just took advantage of a law

:agree: And Spurs. And led me to believe that
another greedy footballer with little consideration for the fans that help pay his wages for a good chunk of his career is Sol Campbell to a tee.

IWasThere2016
20-01-2010, 01:01 PM

The man doesnae need the money - therefore morally bankrupt to pursue Pompey IMHO

bobbyhibs1983
20-01-2010, 01:50 PM
what i dont understand is why has he come out /it been reported now?I mean he leave pompy x amount of months ago and nothing was said, why now?

heretoday
20-01-2010, 02:00 PM
Sol Campbell is one creepy guy.

Billychaotic182
20-01-2010, 02:09 PM
Spurs are my English team and after what he did to them i think this guy is a twat

I look at him the same way i look at Thomson.

Played for the club he loved as a kid then turned his back on them to play for there rivals for more money.

The worst thing about Sol is that he kept sayin he wanted to stay at spurs. Then when no one was expecting it he signs for Arsenal.

Ashlely Cole type of player

Andy74
20-01-2010, 02:39 PM
what i dont understand is why has he come out

On the contrary what I don't understand is why he hasn't come out?

bobbyhibs1983
20-01-2010, 04:09 PM
On the contrary what I don't understand is why he hasn't come out?

what i mean is surely it is more a private matter between campbell and pompy? there is little need for it to be splashed about the papers.As ive said he left them x amount of months ago why has it just come out now>? if you or me or anyone was owed money from say 5months ago , noone mentions it and bingo one day 5 months later.why now?

bingo70
20-01-2010, 04:13 PM
what i mean is surely it is more a private matter between campbell and pompy? there is little need for it to be splashed about the papers.As ive said he left them x amount of months ago why has it just come out now>? if you or me or anyone was owed money from say 5months ago , noone mentions it and bingo one day 5 months later.why now?

Think Peevemor is probably right on this one.........

In Sol Campbell's defence, if a winding up order is going to be effected, he has to put in his claim or he won't get his slice of the pie (or proportion thereof) when the money's divvied up. It won't make any difference to the club nor the fans, but to any other creditors who may get a smaller slice accordingly.

Speedway
20-01-2010, 04:15 PM
Sol's got every right to take the puff over £1.7m sheets.

If I was owed that kind of brass, I wouldn't be all happy and gay that's for sure.

bobbyhibs1983
20-01-2010, 04:16 PM
fair enough bingo, I ve not followed this or know the ins and outs of it, , it doesn't affect hibs so my intrests in a matter is very low

Andy74
20-01-2010, 04:21 PM

What I meant was something completely different about coming out!

ancienthibby
20-01-2010, 04:27 PM
What I meant was something completely different about coming out!

:faf::faf::faf::faf::faf::faf::faf::faf::faf:

Pedantic_Hibee
20-01-2010, 06:45 PM
Given that Pompey rarely pay their players on time, if I were to follow this policy which was originally patented by Hearts, surely the money that Sol Campbell is chasing is what Pompey would class as a debt that they owe to themselves and therefore no money exchanges hands? :confused:

Is this how big clubs operate?

Bristolhibby
21-01-2010, 10:03 AM
To be fair to Sol, if Pompey go into Administration, he would just join the long queue of debtors that would only get a fraction of what they are owed. Perhaps Sol is just trying to ensure he gets the money is owed, before the inevitable happens. £1.7m is a lot of money, even for a millionaire.

J

Dashing Bob S
21-01-2010, 10:12 AM
Yes, footballers are greedy and amoral, and part of an apparatus that rips off supporters to line their own pockets. That's not the issue here though. Campbell is entitled to the money, the people to blame are the board, who have mismanaged the club's finances.

If only he'd gone to Hearts, he could have been a Hibernian cult hero. Instead we have to make do with Larry '15' K.

Part/Time Supporter
21-01-2010, 01:28 PM
Pompey shouldn't have signed Campbell (or several others) in the first place. Champions League wages in a club that's lucky to be in the Prem = madness.

Note that Mr Redknapp still gets credit for his great achievements with Pompey.

:confused:

Danderhall Hibs
21-01-2010, 01:40 PM
Note that Mr Redknapp still gets credit for his great achievements with Pompey.

:confused:

I know - I heard a discussion on the radio talking about poor a situation they are in now but they took time to mention how well Portsmouth done under Redknapp. Obviously it's hard to do 2+2 down there!

HIBERNIAN-0762
21-01-2010, 02:46 PM
He's an arrogant *******, just like the rest of his teammates

:agree: