PDA

View Full Version : 3 weeks into the transfer window

macca70
19-01-2010, 11:38 PM
Hughes indicated after signing Smith that he would be keen to bring in a couple of new faces.

He must have had an idea who he wanted going into the tranfer window.

Why not get them signed up at the start of the window and strengthen the squad so we have the new signings available for start of january, whilst we were still 3rd and for start of Scottish Cup campaign.

Knowing that we were loosing Bamba for January, IMO we should have had a centre half lined up to sign on 1st January.

Or is it down to the fact, that players will hold out for as long as they can to try secure the best deal. Would be frustrating, to miss out on the services of a new signing for the whole of January and meaning he ends up cup tied as we were haggling over an extra fiver a week.

Leithenhibby
19-01-2010, 11:43 PM
Hughes indicated after signing Smith that he would be keen to bring in a couple of new faces.

Why not get them signed up at the start of the window and strengthen the squad so we have the new signings available for start of january, whilst we were still 3rd and for start of Scottish Cup campaign.

Knowing that we were loosing Bamba for January, IMO we should have had a centre half lined up to sign on 1st January.

Or is it down to the fact, that players will hold out for as long as they can to try secure the best deal. Would be frustrating, to miss out on the services of a new signing for the whole of January and meaning he ends up cup tied as we were haggling over an extra fiver a week.

I think that this can work both ways. The window is becoming more of a game of cat & mouse..

Nando™
19-01-2010, 11:44 PM

Think you may have answered your own question.

truehibernian
19-01-2010, 11:45 PM
We are awaiting an injury progress report on one of the targets (loan deal) :wink:

Auckland Hibs
20-01-2010, 12:41 AM
We are awaiting an injury progress report on one of the targets (loan deal) :wink:

Based on the BBC news below I don't see the loan deal happening this season.....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/8458296.stm

sambajustice
20-01-2010, 12:42 AM

I think Van Persie will be out for a wee while yet...

I think probably the clubs hold out for the best deal possible as well...

macca70
20-01-2010, 12:47 AM
I think that this can work both ways. The window is becoming more of a game of cat & mouse..

Just wish that all the negotiating was done in the last 2 weeks of december so the player can sign up on jan 1st and he's available and settled in during january.

rather than waitng til we've thrown away any hope we had of 1st/2nd, chucked away our gap between 3rd and 4th and maybe out the cup.

ScottB
20-01-2010, 12:55 AM
Just wish that all the negotiating was done in the last 2 weeks of december so the player can sign up on jan 1st and he's available and settled in during january.

rather than waitng til we've thrown away any hope we had of 1st/2nd, chucked away our gap between 3rd and 4th and maybe out the cup.

Simply put, if we are after a player of quality (as we should be) chances are we won't be the only team in for him. Unless said player has an overwhelming desire to play for us, he is going to try and get the best possible deal for himself (as he should) which means playing those clubs off against each other, that is much easier at the end of January when options are few and far between and time is of the essence.

Likewise, if it's a club selling, they will want to get the best fee they can (as they should) and the same ideas apply.

In the case of Smith, he was without a club and probably had no other clubs, or certainly no other clubs of our level in for him, in that case we held the cards, as we could easily have went elsewhere, so he signed on the spot. In the case of say Barr, there are multiple clubs involved and Falkirk will want the most cash they can get. Short of steaming in with a big offer and paying over the odds one like that won't happen till the end of the window, when a club like Falkirk will have to take the best they can get before the window slams shut.

Really the window may as well be open for a week or less in January, as hardly anything of note happens in any league till near the deadline.

macca70
20-01-2010, 01:15 AM
Simply put, if we are after a player of quality (as we should be) chances are we won't be the only team in for him. Unless said player has an overwhelming desire to play for us, he is going to try and get the best possible deal for himself (as he should) which means playing those clubs off against each other, that is much easier at the end of January when options are few and far between and time is of the essence.

Likewise, if it's a club selling, they will want to get the best fee they can (as they should) and the same ideas apply.

In the case of Smith, he was without a club and probably had no other clubs, or certainly no other clubs of our level in for him, in that case we held the cards, as we could easily have went elsewhere, so he signed on the spot. In the case of say Barr, there are multiple clubs involved and Falkirk will want the most cash they can get. Short of steaming in with a big offer and paying over the odds one like that won't happen till the end of the window, when a club like Falkirk will have to take the best they can get before the window slams shut.

Really the window may as well be open for a week or less in January, as hardly anything of note happens in any league till near the deadline.

Maybe thats the answer, have no games for a fortnight in Winter and make that the transfer window.

I'm sure the transfer window must breach some sort of legal rules. Anyone should be allowed to move employers whenever they want, assuming the conditions are met within your contract. It must be against the law for SFA, FIFA, UEFA or whoever to dictate that you can only move employers at certain times of the year.

ScottB
20-01-2010, 01:29 AM
Maybe thats the answer, have no games for a fortnight in Winter and make that the transfer window.

I'm sure the transfer window must breach some sort of legal rules. Anyone should be allowed to move employers whenever they want and conditions are met within your contract. It must be against the law for SFA, FIFA, UEFA or whoever to dictate that you can only move employers at certain times of the year.

I really object to footballers bleating about employment laws!

They should be considered something else, they sign fixed term contracts at huge amounts. Considering the clubs aren't allowed to sack them for being crap like what would happen to any normal person, restricting their movement is a fair trade off. Also it's not uncommon for high paid or valuable employees to have very long periods of notice or gardening leave before switching jobs, I'd say the current system (with a shorter window) works as well as any your likely to get...

Speedy
20-01-2010, 01:39 AM

I'm sure the transfer window must breach some sort of legal rules. Anyone should be allowed to move employers whenever they want, assuming the conditions are met within your contract. It must be against the law for SFA, FIFA, UEFA or whoever to dictate that you can only move employers at certain times of the year.

I'm pretty sure you can move whenever you want but you can only register to play for another team at certain times so the 'transfer window' isn't actually that, it's a 'registration window'.

I may be wrong though.

Speedway
20-01-2010, 09:26 AM
We've already signed Smith on January 1st and we're bringing in Watt as of yesterday.

With the silence coming from down ER way, I'm pretty convinced we've secured Marceau on a long term deal too.

Peevemor
20-01-2010, 09:34 AM
We've already signed Smith on January 1st and we're bringing in Watt as of yesterday.

With the silence coming from down ER way, I'm pretty convinced we've secured Marceau on a long term deal too.

Sophie? :drool:

persevere1875
20-01-2010, 10:02 AM

Sorry someone will have to enlighten me, who !! :confused:

Speedway
20-01-2010, 10:02 AM

No, not that one, I think this one will prove to be a real artist of his craft for us though, even if he is at the tail end of his career.

Speedway
20-01-2010, 10:04 AM
Sorry someone will have to enlighten me, who !! :confused:

There was a report on here and the bounce that there was a new French guy training at EM. From the silence coming out of ER just now, it's fair to say that we know it's Marceau that has been signed.

On the upside, he's very well travelled and certainly the high profile kind of signing we're looking for.

RickyS
20-01-2010, 10:13 AM
There was a report on here and the bounce that there was a new French guy training at EM. From the silence coming out of ER just now, it's fair to say that we know it's Marceau that has been signed.

On the upside, he's very well travelled and certainly the high profile kind of signing we're looking for.

eh? who is this guy?

JON6207
20-01-2010, 10:15 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marcel_Marceau

H18sry
20-01-2010, 10:16 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wd4pvskMNKk :confused:

Bobo
20-01-2010, 10:19 AM

Aye the silence is deafening, you'd think that Marcel would speak up for himself. :hmmm::tee hee:

Speedway
20-01-2010, 10:20 AM
What surprises me is that he's barely caused a bip on the radar this transfer window.

hibbie02
20-01-2010, 10:38 AM
eh? who is this guy?

WHoooooosh!!!

hibbie02
20-01-2010, 10:39 AM

Yes please............:dizzy:

mjhibby
20-01-2010, 10:40 AM
I just hope yogi isnt relying on barr signing in january because eddie may seems determined we will not get him until the summer.It looks likely now bamba will be here until the summer,something i find strange as surely his value will drop as he will then have only 12 months left on his contract.Yes he could have a cracking world cup and his value shoot up but i dont think it will be anymore than we will get just now.Still glad he will be back for the cup game and then the visit to hunsville although with not having his transfer means less ability for yogi to wheel and deal.
I would say it is more likely we will get one or two loan deals to get us through the season especially a rb as getting murray back to lb is essential.Yogi could of course get two full backs and let murray loose in a 3 man midfield beside miller and mcbride or sign another midfielder.I suppose jack wiltshire would be beyond us.i hope we dont end up with someone like christian daly who would only play in the event of injuries but get a couple of players in who could challenge for places and make a difference.Not holding my breath though.

IWasThere2016
20-01-2010, 11:26 AM

Done deal I'm told :thumbsup:

JimBHibees
20-01-2010, 01:09 PM
I just hope yogi isnt relying on barr signing in january because eddie may seems determined we will not get him until the summer.It looks likely now bamba will be here until the summer,something i find strange as surely his value will drop as he will then have only 12 months left on his contract.Yes he could have a cracking world cup and his value shoot up but i dont think it will be anymore than we will get just now.Still glad he will be back for the cup game and then the visit to hunsville although with not having his transfer means less ability for yogi to wheel and deal.
I would say it is more likely we will get one or two loan deals to get us through the season especially a rb as getting murray back to lb is essential.Yogi could of course get two full backs and let murray loose in a 3 man midfield beside miller and mcbride or sign another midfielder.I suppose jack wiltshire would be beyond us.i hope we dont end up with someone like christian daly who would only play in the event of injuries but get a couple of players in who could challenge for places and make a difference.Not holding my breath though.

Some mention of him going to Bolton on loan. Dailly would play every week if we signed him IMO.

Aldo
20-01-2010, 01:19 PM
Was listening to Sportsound the other night and they spoke with Hughes as he was watching our next cup opponents. When asked about transfers he said that they were watching players all the time and hoped to have a couple of players in before the end of the window.

Who knows!!!

Auckland Hibs
20-01-2010, 06:41 PM
we were going to get a loan of Fernando Torres's knee?

Yes, his knee and third toe on his left leg.

HibbyAndy
20-01-2010, 06:44 PM
Yes, his knee and third toe on his left leg.

Torres is rubbish. id rather have Kris Boyd.

hfc rd
20-01-2010, 08:56 PM
Hibs normally do their business near the end of the transfer window. But hopefully we are to bring a decent right back in before the Hamilton match.

macca70
20-01-2010, 08:58 PM
Not bothered about the silence as that's the way hibs go about there business, professionally and in private.

Just wish they brought these players in at the start of the window so we have the services of these players for some crucial games throughout january.

.Sean.
20-01-2010, 09:04 PM
Does anybody care to shed some light on this marceau boy or are we only going to get wide boy answers?

GloryGlory
20-01-2010, 09:15 PM
Does anybody care to shed some light on this marceau boy or are we only going to get wide boy answers?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marcel_Marceau

:wink: :agree: