PDA

View Full Version : Striped Scarf

C I Hibee
19-01-2010, 11:38 PM
What ever happened to the Stripped Hibs scarfs. All you seem to see is hooped srarfs or a variation on them. Back in the late seventies/ early eighties most scarfs worn were of the stripped variety. I still have a stripped one, however it has seen better days and i wanted a new one.
Hooped scarfs back in the day, were mostly worn by the second team to wear the green.

Danderhall Hibs
19-01-2010, 11:43 PM
What ever happened to the Stripped Hibs scarfs. All you seem to see is hooped srarfs or a variation on them. Back in the late seventies/ early eighties most scarfs worn were of the stripped variety. I still have a stripped one, however it has seen better days and i wanted a new one.
Hooped scarfs back in the day, were mostly worn by the second team to wear the green.

They've got them in the Club Shop mate. I got one just after Christmas - £6.99 I think.

Edit - link (http://www.hibsshop.co.uk/cat-40-subcat-126-product-3283)

Billychaotic182
19-01-2010, 11:52 PM
I want one now lol

Removed
19-01-2010, 11:56 PM

Mibbe I'm being thick but what's the difference between striped and hooped :confused:

eezyrider
20-01-2010, 12:03 AM
Mibbe I'm being thick but what's the difference between striped and hooped :confused:

stripes run the full length of the scarf so go like:

==========================================

as opposed to

|| || || || || || || || || || || || || || || ||

EZ

Removed
20-01-2010, 12:07 AM
stripes run the full length of the scarf so go like:

as opposed to

|| || || || || || || || || || || || || || || ||

EZ

I've obviously never seen a striped scarf then. That means the one that Danderhall posted is a hooped version not stripes.

Can anyone post a picture of a striped scarf please.

Danderhall Hibs
20-01-2010, 12:08 AM
I've obviously never seen a striped scarf then. That means the one that Danderhall posted is a hooped version not stripes.

I've never seen a striped one either then.

Mag7
20-01-2010, 12:16 AM
I know what he means, but I'm not sure they were ever very easy to get hold of. As somebody else described, the stripes are vertical, rather than horizontal and therefore narrower. They were around before you could get scarves with HIBERNIAN on them, so they used to help prevent you being mistaken for a Celtic fan!

It's been mentioned before, but there also used to be a green silk Hibs scarf available with white pinstripes on it. Quite classy, though when I was a kid I always regarded as a scarf for the older man. These days I quite fancy owning one. Do they still exist?

Removed
20-01-2010, 12:18 AM
It's been mentioned before, but there also used to be a green silk Hibs scarf available with white pinstripes on it. Quite classy, though when I was a kid I always regarded as a scarf for the older man. These days I quite fancy owning one. Do they still exist?

Now I do remember them, my dad had one :cool2:

Might ask him if he knows where it is.

Speedy
20-01-2010, 12:20 AM

http://www.knittingniche.com/torino_bulky_striped_scarf.jpg

:greengrin

sleeping giant
20-01-2010, 12:22 AM
They've got them in the Club Shop mate. I got one just after Christmas - £6.99 I think.

Edit - link (http://www.hibsshop.co.uk/cat-40-subcat-126-product-3283)

Thats a bar scarf:cool2:

I had a striped scarf in the early 80's:agree:
Mind you , i had HIbs sweat bands and a silky cap too:confused:
Gloves anaw:faf:

sleeping giant
20-01-2010, 12:23 AM
I know what he means, but I'm not sure they were ever very easy to get hold of. As somebody else described, the stripes are vertical, rather than horizontal and therefore narrower. They were around before you could get scarves with HIBERNIAN on them, so they used to help prevent you being mistaken for a Celtic fan!

My Dad had one :agree:
Green silk with white tassles.

Removed
20-01-2010, 12:32 AM
http://www.beeinspired.co.uk/itemdetails.php?itemId=4809

:thumbsup:

lEXO
20-01-2010, 12:41 AM
My Dad had one :agree:
Green silk with white tassles.
I had one as a kid.Had the crown badge on it.Loved it.Wish i,d kept it.

hibee_nation
20-01-2010, 01:02 AM

Me too, i still have my first scarf though which was made out of scratchy cotton with the diagonal stripes and the wee hibs badges on it. I gave it to my dad when i got the silk one. The one with the stripes lengthwise used to get tied on the wrist or belt loop (was cool back then) :greengrin
I gave mine away to a Northwich Victoria fan when i joined the army in 1977. The lenghtwise stripe scarf used to come in mostly bottle green with a lighter green and white stripe aswell, no fancy tassels like the silk scarf though they were just cut at the ends to make tassels. Old yins mmay be able to describe them better but i know what i mean. :greengrin

WindyMiller
20-01-2010, 03:36 AM
I've been wearing my striped scarf since 1973. Swopped my original with a Leeds fan in their supporters club after the game

The street vendors around ER sold quality gear in them days.:greengrin

jst1875
20-01-2010, 05:51 AM
you just jogged my memory ................................... and after a rummage in the wardrobe.................... i found my one
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: :thumbsup:

p.s. i lost my silk one at an away game at partick thistle around 1974-75. 1 - 1 draw !
if anyone found it i would like it back please.

Petrie's Tache
20-01-2010, 07:31 AM
http://www.footballcolour.com/images/HIBERNIAN%20SCARF.JPG

On a side note, I would love the silk one. IS it possible if we had the numbers to get these commissioned?

B

persevere1875
20-01-2010, 09:46 AM
Ahhh silk scarfs and winning the dryborough cup, now those were the days :thumbsup:

ahibby
20-01-2010, 09:48 AM
We are talking about the darker green scarf with a white pin stripe are we; if so then I always think of it as being the traditional scarf as that's what many of us tended to wear in the early seventies (so not necessarily really traditional).

Keith_M
20-01-2010, 11:18 AM
Weren't they called 'University Style' scarves?

Or is my memory just playing tricks?

:dunno:

IWasThere2016
20-01-2010, 11:42 AM

:agree: Me tae! :boo hoo:

heretoday
20-01-2010, 12:44 PM

Correct! Waverley Tailoring's finest product!

Jonnyboy
20-01-2010, 01:07 PM
Thats a bar scarf:cool2:

I had a striped scarf in the early 80's:agree:
Mind you , i had HIbs sweat bands and a silky cap too:confused:
Gloves anaw:faf:

I knew I'd seen you before somewhere :greengrin

Isaac_Refvik
20-01-2010, 01:15 PM
The Silk scarf was more of a wrist adornment iirc as it had little heat retention ability.

GordonHFC
20-01-2010, 01:24 PM

Spot on keekaboo they were indeed 'University Scarfs'. No club badge but were predominantly green with (i think) 2 white stripes down each side off centre. I think you could also purchase the opposite with all white with the green stripes.

Sudds_1
20-01-2010, 01:28 PM
Spot on keekaboo they were indeed 'University Scarfs'. No club badge but were predominantly green with (i think) 2 white stripes down each side off centre. I think you could also purchase the opposite with all white with the green stripes.

........yep. thats the one I've worn for many years. :thumbsup:

It replaced my silk scarf with the old badge, purchased a good many years earlier, that now sits well protected in my drawer - like all good collectors items should. :wink:

Alan62
20-01-2010, 01:32 PM
Me too.

One of my great regrets is discarding it during the early 80s when I was poncing around pretending I was too intellectual to be interested in football. :boo hoo:

HibbyDave
20-01-2010, 01:53 PM
Burtons do a green and grey stripey scarf £8. Fact.

:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notwo rthy:

Speedway
20-01-2010, 02:11 PM
Are we talking about the kind of scarf that George Best was pictured with when he signed?

http://www.insideleft.net/wp-content/uploads/2511best1a.jpg

GieTheBaTaeReilly
20-01-2010, 02:54 PM
http://www.knittingniche.com/torino_bulky_striped_scarf.jpg

:greengrin

:faf::faf::faf::faf:

And I've got a proper old striped one. Will post a pic shortly once I get home from office.

tony higgins
20-01-2010, 04:16 PM
Everybody had a stripe scarf back in the 70s.

But do they remember how to knot it the Hibs way.

greenlex
20-01-2010, 04:17 PM
Are we talking about the kind of scarf that George Best was pictured with when he signed?

I am pretty sure I still have that one somewhere.

tony higgins
20-01-2010, 04:17 PM

No writing on the stripe scarf of old.

Golden Bear
20-01-2010, 04:22 PM
Everybody had a stripe scarf back in the 70s.

But do they remember how to knot it the Hibs way.

I still wear mine every week.

As for the knot - was it not (!) just a cross over, then an up down and through? (clear as mud eh!) :greengrin

I think at the time they were known as "university type" scarves.

lenny leith
20-01-2010, 08:25 PM
still wear mine every game.wouldnt be right without it:greengrin

Alicky Ranks
20-01-2010, 08:42 PM
It's not an strictly accurate representation of the Hibs scarf we're talking about, but I believe a 'striped' scarf is similar to the ones these schoolgirls are wearing!

http://www.hainsworth.co.uk/apparel-fabrics/academic-university-scarf-cloth

Carheenlea
20-01-2010, 08:51 PM
There is a vertically striped scarf available in the Club Store, but it is not online for whatever reason.

It is a thinner stripe, more a variety of green shaded stripes with a very small Hibs crest at one end.

greenlex
20-01-2010, 08:54 PM
There is a vertically striped scarf available in the Club Store, but it is not online for whatever reason.

It is a thinner stripe, more a variety of green shaded stripes with a very small Hibs crest at one end.

I own one of them and it is my favourite at the moment. :thumbsup:

drifter533814
20-01-2010, 09:52 PM
I still have my striped scarf(not the silk one), although all the tassles have fallen off!!!!!!!

Wing Half
20-01-2010, 10:11 PM
Well there was the diagonal pinstripe with the matching flat cap in the 60s
College scarves were 72-75 no?
Satin were pre BCR and from 72

C I Hibee
20-01-2010, 11:19 PM
It's not an strictly accurate representation of the Hibs scarf we're talking about, but I believe a 'striped' scarf is similar to the ones these schoolgirls are wearing!

Very similar, although a lighter green :agree:

Criswell
20-01-2010, 11:28 PM
I bought my first Hibs scarf in 1967. It was dark green with no stripes but had a large single badge at either end and white tassles. Is this what is meant by the silk scarf? I was quite amazed to spot one being worn whilst on my way to the recent cup game!
As I recall the long woolen ones with horizontal stripes popular in the late sixties/ seventies were known as "college scarves".

WindyMiller
21-01-2010, 12:37 AM
Well there was the diagonal pinstripe with the matching flat cap in the 60s
College scarves were 72-75 no?
Satin were pre BCR and from 72

and TIE!
Got one from Santa around 1961.

tony higgins
21-01-2010, 08:27 AM
Was,nt that an old song......

"Would you wear a Hibs bunnet and a tie"

"If you wear a Hibs bunnet and a tie you,ll go to heaven when you die"

Losing it.

Last heard on a train somewhere in the 70s.

Andy74
21-01-2010, 10:26 AM

Schoolgirls with clothes on on the internet. First time I've seen that.

Mickey Edwards
21-01-2010, 10:39 AM
My striped scarf was at the dryborough cup final and sat atop a very fine corduroy coat which my mum packed me off with............the scarf still goes to ER on matchdays although it is seriously frayed and stinks ; may disintegrate if washed. The coat sadly would only fit round one of my legs now and may not be considered haute coatoor.

Need to start a Hibs.net uberfan campaign to abolish Celtic -type scarves.
.......always been suspicious of folk who wear them, which is the majority, which makes for a very paranoid matchday experience.

:duck:

Lucius Apuleius
21-01-2010, 03:27 PM
Mine was the centenary scarf, totally covered in patch badges. Left it in the taxi between Waverley and the Iona on Kevin Harper derby day.:boo hoo:

Malthibby
21-01-2010, 05:18 PM
Loved my striped scarf, had it for donkeys but lost it somewhere foreign (Dundee or Falkirk). Dislike the bar scarves intensely 'cos they do indeed look just like those the Tic fans wear.
Perhaps Mr. Petrie would like to get this sorted?
GG

Bishop Hibee
21-01-2010, 05:30 PM
Nothing wrong with a green and white bar scarf. Celtc's tend to have a small gold stripe on the white do they not? Remember, we were first to wear the green.

I had an extremely long bar scarf that was given away to ST holders in the early 80's. Lost a long time ago unfortunately. I now sport a shorter version with a few Hibs badges incase anyone mistakes it for a lesser greens one.

There are some well dodgy ones on the stalls outside ER at present.

Sunny1875
21-01-2010, 05:36 PM

I have one of these tucked away in a cupboard somewhere everytime i move house i find it might look it out now that i am an older man

Petrie's Tache
21-01-2010, 05:37 PM
[/B]

I have one of these tucked away in a cupboard somewhere everytime i move house i find it might look it out now that i am an older man

Right, how much for the scarf?:greengrin

drifter533814
21-01-2010, 05:49 PM
I wear a hibs "tartan" scarf these days, although I do have a trendy Real Betis scarf as well.

Hal Jordan
21-01-2010, 06:17 PM
I still have my 80's striped scarf with the crown crest, but sadly lost my old Panathinaikos one that my brother brought me back from Greece on the city bypass at somewhere between Straighton and Sheriffhall one day when riding too fast on my old vespa.

steino1875
21-01-2010, 06:35 PM
think i got mine about 72 very rarely take it out for a fear of losing it changed my avatar to show the scarf:thumbsup:

steino1875
21-01-2010, 06:40 PM
:thumbsup:a follow up to the striped scarf changed avatar to show one of my most cherished possessions:flag:

Hiber-nation
21-01-2010, 07:58 PM
Still got the dark green Dryburgh Cup winners 1972 scarf with the tassles :thumbsup:

sleeping giant
21-01-2010, 09:02 PM
:thumbsup:a follow up to the striped scarf changed avatar to show one of my most cherished possessions:flag:

Thats the felly on the left :agree:

Anyone got a pic of the silky one yet ?

tony higgins
21-01-2010, 10:19 PM
Still got the dark green Dryburgh Cup winners 1972 scarf with the tassles :thumbsup:

Unless you climbed that fence into the North Enclosure at Hampden wearing said scarf it does,nt count.