PDA

View Full Version : Lets bring back....

the happy hibee
19-01-2010, 08:20 PM
YNWA! I posted on the atmosphere at easter road thread about this song its a great song and i dont know why we stopped singing it! Its one of they songs that when we used to sing it the support became one and there is no better feeling than being like that with fellow hibs fans ( like SOL at the cup final)! I think if we did start to sing it again it would help the atmosphere no ends at easter road! What do you guys think? :notworthy:

.Sean.
19-01-2010, 08:22 PM
No thanks.

greenlex
19-01-2010, 08:24 PM
Let's bring back Aztec bars.

Sean1875
19-01-2010, 08:24 PM
lets bring back playing in green and white hoops.

McD
19-01-2010, 08:44 PM

They stole it from the Liverpool fans, altho they'll tell you different of course.

Celtic minded history = 'Liverpool started singing it before we told them it was ours'.

Hainan Hibs
19-01-2010, 08:46 PM
No thanks. Every time I see Celtic fans sing it the words "NAE CLASS" scream out at me.

Take a look at Sunshine On Leith at the CIS Cup Final, and there's a tune that beats YNWA hands down everyday of the week.

nonshinyfinish
19-01-2010, 09:05 PM
No.

Let's bring back Stephen Dobbie.

Pedantic_Hibee
19-01-2010, 09:06 PM
Lets bring back Eduardo Hurtado......

Hainan Hibs
19-01-2010, 09:07 PM
Let's bring back Rocastle for the Matty Jack role.

Ed De Gramo
19-01-2010, 09:07 PM
Much prefer Amadou Konte

Big Frank
19-01-2010, 09:08 PM
No thanks:bitchy:

Lets bring back paco:thumbsup:

TheEastTerrace
19-01-2010, 09:12 PM
Leave the Weegies and Scousers to it. SOL is much better.

MacBean
19-01-2010, 09:21 PM
If were bringing back anything it should be Sunshine on Leith. Brought it back for the derby and it was class! :top marks

HIBERNIAN-0762
19-01-2010, 09:26 PM
No thanks:bitchy:

Lets bring back paco:thumbsup:

:agree:

And Ivan

jacomo
19-01-2010, 10:49 PM
Much prefer Amadou Konte

In the Matty Jack role?

Sir David Gray
19-01-2010, 10:58 PM
It's a good song but I'd rather not sing something that is seen as being 'owned' by Liverpool and Celtic fans.

I'll stick with Sunshine On Leith, thank you. No-one else can use that as their own.

Joe Baker II
20-01-2010, 10:46 AM
Used to like it at Hibs games in the 1980s when it was sung quite often - not a lover of Liverpool (in fact I believe Man U were the first club whose fans sung it in 1950s) I admit but like the song.

Scouse Hibee
20-01-2010, 11:16 AM
No thanks :greengrin

Celtic sang it on two or three occasions during the 1970s, along with Aberdeen and Hibernian, though it was only popularised and formally adopted by the Parkhead faithful in the mid- to late-1980s. Liverpool were invited to play a charity game at Celtic Park following the Hillsborough disaster in 1989 (which, incidentally, they won, by four goals to nil). Both sets of fans sang it together as a symbol of unity and support. Only in the years to follow, as both clubs repeatedly came together in a series of friendly fixtures, did Celtic begin to sing it on a regular basis, otherwise they have no legitimate claim to the song, nor is there any earlier evidence seriously linking them to it. Liverpool can produce an abundance of written material and video evidence. Celtic not so much.
There is overwhelming evidence that Liverpool Football Club supporters were the first to sing "You'll Never Walk Alone" en masse. The song was famously covered by Liverpool group Gerry and the Pacemakers in 1963. [1] At this time, supporters standing on the Spion Kop terrace at Anfield began singing popular chart songs of the day. Their "inventive ferocity" was captured on camera by BBC Panorama in 1964. [2] One year later, when Liverpool met Leeds United in the F.A. Cup Final, the travelling Kop sang the same song and match commentator Kenneth Wolstenholme commended the "Liverpool signature tune." [3] Liverpudlians have been singing "You'll Never Walk Alone" since 1963. Fully 46 years.
It was later sung by many different supporters throughout England, most often during important cup matches (for a time, it was almost considered a National Standard).
Manchester United supporter Jane Hardwick asserted in 2004 that she, together with friends from the New Mills Operatic Society, decided to sing the song at "one of the games" following the Munich Air Disaster as her own personal tribute, before spontaneously being joined "by thousands of fans" around her, until "the whole ground was singing it". [4] This would predate Gerry Marsden's faster-paced cover version by five years. However, as one local supporter scoffed:

"Anyone who has watched [or] listened to Carousel will tell you, the composition and performance of the musical version with the popular Gerry Marsden version sounds completely different."
Put another way, Hardwick may have been an aspiring opera singer, but to believe that the Old Trafford faithful belted out an operatic version of "You'll Never Walk Alone" is patent nonsense. [5] Moreover, nothing is recorded on film or in print media of this most emotional of moments.

Author Frank Worrall repeated Hardwick's belated revelation in his 2007 book, Celtic United, without first attempting to verify its accuracy. He later conceded that the claim was only meant to be "a bit of fun." [6] Hardwick's assertion remains unsupported and, given the bitter rivalry between clubs, deserves no serious attention.
In conclusion, Liverpool were the first to adopt this song and are by far the most consistent singers. No other club comes close.

Green Man
20-01-2010, 11:35 AM
As it happens I was thinking about YNWA the other day, I recall us singing it at the SC semi against Livi in 2001 and wondered when and why it became a Hibs song?

Baw187
20-01-2010, 11:42 AM
No thanks :greengrin

Celtic sang it on two or three occasions during the 1970s, along with Aberdeen and Hibernian, though it was only popularised and formally adopted by the Parkhead faithful in the mid- to late-1980s. Liverpool were invited to play a charity game at Celtic Park following the Hillsborough disaster in 1989 (which, incidentally, they won, by four goals to nil). Both sets of fans sang it together as a symbol of unity and support. Only in the years to follow, as both clubs repeatedly came together in a series of friendly fixtures, did Celtic begin to sing it on a regular basis, otherwise they have no legitimate claim to the song, nor is there any earlier evidence seriously linking them to it. Liverpool can produce an abundance of written material and video evidence. Celtic not so much.
There is overwhelming evidence that Liverpool Football Club supporters were the first to sing "You'll Never Walk Alone" en masse. The song was famously covered by Liverpool group Gerry and the Pacemakers in 1963. [1] At this time, supporters standing on the Spion Kop terrace at Anfield began singing popular chart songs of the day. Their "inventive ferocity" was captured on camera by BBC Panorama in 1964. [2] One year later, when Liverpool met Leeds United in the F.A. Cup Final, the travelling Kop sang the same song and match commentator Kenneth Wolstenholme commended the "Liverpool signature tune." [3] Liverpudlians have been singing "You'll Never Walk Alone" since 1963. Fully 46 years.
It was later sung by many different supporters throughout England, most often during important cup matches (for a time, it was almost considered a National Standard).
Manchester United supporter Jane Hardwick asserted in 2004 that she, together with friends from the New Mills Operatic Society, decided to sing the song at "one of the games" following the Munich Air Disaster as her own personal tribute, before spontaneously being joined "by thousands of fans" around her, until "the whole ground was singing it". [4] This would predate Gerry Marsden's faster-paced cover version by five years. However, as one local supporter scoffed:

"Anyone who has watched [or] listened to Carousel will tell you, the composition and performance of the musical version with the popular Gerry Marsden version sounds completely different."
Put another way, Hardwick may have been an aspiring opera singer, but to believe that the Old Trafford faithful belted out an operatic version of "You'll Never Walk Alone" is patent nonsense. [5] Moreover, nothing is recorded on film or in print media of this most emotional of moments.

Author Frank Worrall repeated Hardwick's belated revelation in his 2007 book, Celtic United, without first attempting to verify its accuracy. He later conceded that the claim was only meant to be "a bit of fun." [6] Hardwick's assertion remains unsupported and, given the bitter rivalry between clubs, deserves no serious attention.
In conclusion, Liverpool were the first to adopt this song and are by far the most consistent singers. No other club comes close.

:top marks

Nae relavance to Hibs and I recall being emabarressed hearing us sing it at Hampden one time (don't recall the game).

Ray_
20-01-2010, 11:56 AM
It was a regular song for the Hibs fans in the sixties and early seventies, it was sang in many a European tie, in cup games and important league matches, usually after a goal had been scored.

Judas Iscariot
20-01-2010, 11:59 AM
Bring back HKT

Bad Martini
20-01-2010, 12:01 PM
Based on recent threads, let's bring back Scott Brown, O'Connor and Ivan and GIRFU the lot of the SPL....(the huns can keep Thomson though - he was always sheite :devil:)

Tinyclothes
20-01-2010, 12:01 PM
Lets start singing The Hibs don't Lie to the tune of Shakira's Hips don't Lie.

Speedway
20-01-2010, 01:41 PM
Let's bring back today's lunch.

Then instead of the YNWA, we could get down to B&Q or maybe MFI and sing YMCA or even ABC and maybe they'll show it on MTV or ITV or BBC, PDQ. We could be sponsored by IBM and they could give us an IOU on their WIP.

Should we include the CCS?

persevere1875
20-01-2010, 01:41 PM
Why not go the whole hog and bring back YMCA :wink::notworthy:

sambajustice
20-01-2010, 01:48 PM

I actually suggested that a while back.

We wore the hoops before them of course and would be a cracking away top, along with winding Ra Tic up. Would probably also really wind the Huns and the Diet Huns up as well!!

sambajustice
20-01-2010, 01:53 PM

Bring back the merry ploughboy... :duck:

s.a.m
20-01-2010, 02:43 PM

I actually quite like that idea..................If we're all going to be gay, we might as well have a party at the same time:greengrin

tony higgins
20-01-2010, 03:12 PM
Bring back the merry ploughboy... :duck:

Do you mean the original English folk song ?

Oh, i am a Merry Ploughboy and i plough the fields by day.....................

greenlex
20-01-2010, 03:13 PM
Let's bring back today's lunch.

Then instead of the YNWA, we could get down to B&Q or maybe MFI and sing YMCA or even ABC and maybe they'll show it on MTV or ITV or BBC, PDQ. We could be sponsored by IBM and they could give us an IOU on their WIP.

Should we include the CCS?

OK

Joe Baker II
20-01-2010, 03:16 PM

We wore the hoops before them of course and would be a cracking away top, along with winding Ra Tic up. Would probably also really wind the Huns and the Diet Huns up as well!!

Would certainly be good as a change top.

Speedway
20-01-2010, 03:20 PM
Let's bring back fighting on the terraces.

tony higgins
20-01-2010, 03:35 PM

Think that went over a few heads on here.

Swish..................

Sean1875
20-01-2010, 04:01 PM
They stole it from the Liverpool fans, altho they'll tell you different of course.

Celtic minded history = 'Liverpool started singing it before we told them it was ours'.
ai i know but in Scotland its still widely associated with Celtic fans, the more different we can be from that lot the better.

.Sean.
20-01-2010, 04:16 PM
As it happens I was thinking about YNWA the other day, I recall us singing it at the SC semi against Livi in 2001 and wondered when and why it became a Hibs song?
I remember it well. It was near the end and I was utterly bemused by it at ten years old. I recall asking my dad why we were singing a 'Celtic Song.'

As for the hoops as a change top I don't see why not. Reclaim them from Celtic. Would be tremendous purely as it would rile them, Rangers adn hearts :greengrin

lyonhibs
20-01-2010, 05:07 PM
YNWA! I posted on the atmosphere at easter road thread about this song its a great song and i dont know why we stopped singing it! Its one of they songs that when we used to sing it the support became one and there is no better feeling than being like that with fellow hibs fans ( like SOL at the cup final)! I think if we did start to sing it again it would help the atmosphere no ends at easter road! What do you guys think? :notworthy:

Errrrr naw.

A tiresome show tune that has been shared between more clubs than Jordan's monthly "Public outing wearing nowt but a hankie and a belt"

No originality, and inextricably linked with The Smellies.

Non merci, no thanks, non gracias etc etc.

the happy hibee
20-01-2010, 05:49 PM
So i take it yous dont want to bring the song back then :greengrin! Oh well it was just a sugestion it was a song i used to like when we sung it in the 80s,90s and that last time at the livi SC Semi in 2001! For a song that has aparently nothing to do with hibs it was sung an awful lot at hibs games by hibs fans when i 1st started watching hibs and it was great seeing the sea of green and white scarfs when we sang it at the hands of hibs rally at easter road as well! from the happy hibee son colin! :notworthy:

CraigHibee
20-01-2010, 07:49 PM

i think your on your own with this one :agree:

McD
20-01-2010, 07:56 PM
ai i know but in Scotland its still widely associated with Celtic fans, the more different we can be from that lot the better.

Totally agree with u mate :greengrin

joebakerforever
20-01-2010, 08:09 PM
The Ying Tong song by the Goons would be highly original :clown:

fatbloke
20-01-2010, 10:04 PM
let's bring back :notworthy:

Hanging, Radio Luxembourg, Opal mints, lifts over the turnstile, sympathy 5hag5, tea bags that dinnae burst, Kenny Garland to Hertz, A Celtic board which does not try to deny their unsavoury history, ditto for Rangers, days when Aberdonian men were men and sheep were nervous, standin on the terracin and peein where ye stood, my hair. my teeth and my waistline no being more than 30. Ah the memories.

nonshinyfinish
20-01-2010, 10:06 PM
Let's bring back dogs on the pitch!

Dashing Bob S
20-01-2010, 10:12 PM
A pretty pathetic song unless sang by Liverpool fans in the 1980's.

Let's sing 'Can You Feel The Force' that Star Wars disco tribute by Scouse band The Real Thing instead.

iwasthere1972
20-01-2010, 11:08 PM

:bitchy: Rather we sang YMCA. Now that would be funny. :agree:

Young man..................................

:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

The Harp Awakes
20-01-2010, 11:28 PM

Winding up the smellies, the huns and the diet huns in one fell swoop. Magic idea:flag: